Author Topic: Instagram beef Dan Plunkett and Richie Jackson  (Read 75124 times)

Hevonen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
Re: Instagram beef Dan Plunkett and Richie Jackson
« Reply #270 on: November 02, 2018, 06:56:20 AM »
Expand Quote
I originally thought the joke was busting on why have multiple angles of such a dumb trick but after watching the fisheye angle, the trick is actually fake. Maybe that’s why he got so defensive.
[close]

what do you mean the trick is fake? just trying to be clear, because i always am not 100% sure i understand plunkett's original point either. it's "fake" because of the bumbers?

Tables don't usually appear out of nowhere so Dan might actually be onto something.

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #271 on: November 02, 2018, 06:57:34 AM »
Pay attention to how the board shoots out under his feet at the end. Probably had one of his buddies hiding under the table.

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #272 on: November 02, 2018, 07:00:37 AM »
Just kidding but it looks like some weird editing trick.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #273 on: November 02, 2018, 07:29:58 AM »
If the bumpers make it fake then let's go ahead and ban bondoing cracks or fixing spots.

really? how bout the fact he did a butt slide
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #274 on: November 02, 2018, 07:35:33 AM »
Pay attention to how the board shoots out under his feet at the end. Probably had one of his buddies hiding under the table.

probably not, because then there would be no need for the bumpers

Uknowmyinsta

• Rep: -378
  • Your brain has no facts.
« Reply #275 on: November 02, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
Post the fisheye because that filmer was just there for aesthetic. Camera probably wasn’t even on. 

Just wondering if you were still standing by this?

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #276 on: November 02, 2018, 08:28:14 AM »
Expand Quote
If the bumpers make it fake then let's go ahead and ban bondoing cracks or fixing spots.
[close]

I'm not condoning the trick but who am I to tell someone else how to skate? But to say it doesn't count because he "modified" the spot (a schoolyard, mind you) is laughable.

Here Come The Lame Jets

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
« Reply #277 on: November 02, 2018, 09:38:38 AM »
Y'all think some high schooler broke their leg walking up El Toro after Richie Jackson waxed it for his trick?

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #278 on: November 02, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
me feelings are hurt over people worrying about bumpers or something under the table invalidating this "trick"

bumpers are the least offensive thing about this act

doublesteveburger

« Reply #279 on: November 02, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
Richard Jackson can sail the seven seas but he can’t take a joke.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #280 on: November 02, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm not condoning the trick but who am I to tell someone else how to skate? But to say it doesn't count because he "modified" the spot (a schoolyard, mind you) is laughable.

just to reiterate, he did like a 40 foot butt slide in bell bottoms
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

foureyedjim

« Reply #281 on: November 02, 2018, 12:06:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Richie is good at skating, no doubt, but a lot of the stuff that he films doesn't seem to require much effort on his part, and blurs the line between skating and not skating (when most of the trick involves you standing on a piece of plastic while the board is just being held in your hands, it doesn't look like skateboarding to me).
[close]
so you hate Gou Miyagi too then huh?
I don't hate anyone, but one of them quietly retired and films silly biking clips for fun on instagram, while another sells shirts with their face on it and uses instagram followers as a comeback. 

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #282 on: November 02, 2018, 12:35:17 PM »
^ Not to mention Gou actually used to be a pretty fucking gnarly rail skater before he started doing more of the weird stuff off his board he's most popular for (and then for a while he had a transition phase where he was doing those weird maneuvers at gnarly spots, jumping onto fucked-up handrails etc.). He's now in his forties and as you said, had the humility to retire spontaneously; in comparison Richie is just a sad clown trying to sell out, I just rewatched his Death part from 2008 where he hucked a little bit more to make sure I remembered how he used to skate and while - bad taste aside - some of it is actually pretty good (I guess he still needed to really try and skate at the time), none of the shit he ever did is nearly as gnarly as some of Gou'd old stuff which actually took balls and skills and had serious risk factor. Gou used to have very smooth style too (classic East Coast-inspired), as opposed to looking like Disneyworld's Aladdin. Richie's style in the Death video is contrived as fuck, even clothing aside you can tell he's more focused on trying to catch your attention than on learning how to push.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #283 on: November 02, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »
^ Not to mention Gou actually used to be a pretty fucking gnarly rail skater before he started doing more of the weird stuff off his board he's most popular for (and then for a while he had a transition phase where he was doing those weird maneuvers at gnarly spots, jumping onto fucked-up handrails etc.). He's now in his forties and as you said, had the humility to retire spontaneously; in comparison Richie is just a sad clown trying to sell out, I just rewatched his Death part from 2008 where he hucked a little bit more to make sure I remembered how he used to skate and while - bad taste aside - some of it is actually pretty good (I guess he still needed to really try and skate at the time), none of the shit he ever did is nearly as gnarly as some of Gou'd old stuff which actually took balls and skills and had serious risk factor. Gou used to have very smooth style too (classic East Coast-inspired), as opposed to looking like Disneyworld's Aladdin. Richie's style in the Death video is contrived as fuck, even clothing aside you can tell he's more focused on trying to catch your attention than on learning how to push.

I tried watching that to see what he was like then... turned it off halfway in.

Slap has been responsible for me watching the most heinous skateboarding I've ever witnessed, far too many times. Richie is one of the worst though, because as you said, it's so, so contrived.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -290
« Reply #284 on: November 02, 2018, 12:58:57 PM »

You can’t be serious

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #285 on: November 02, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
I'm just playing devils advocate. Regardless of what "trick" Richie did on the table if someone says it doesn't count because he modified the object, where is the line drawn?

I think rolling away on plywood or up a curb with a sign is whack imo.

Remember when most the general public clowned on skateboarders? For the most part it's because we are doing something they don't understand. Well, I think the same goes for Richie.

I honestly don't like Richie's skateboarding. I just think a lot of people are acting pretty jockish. Should fit right in at the Olympics.

Here Come The Lame Jets

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #286 on: November 02, 2018, 02:16:53 PM »
Does Richie make money from skating?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #287 on: November 02, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »
I find the bumpers thing hilarious because I think if for some reason (ie. drugs) somebody ever tried that 'trick', the possibility of the board escaping the row of tables mid 'slide' (while they have no way to know what it's doing underneath and if they're going to land on it) is the only remotely 'fun' part I could imagine. Now it's just like the dude straight up went to work.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 02:40:00 PM by silhouette »

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #288 on: November 02, 2018, 02:49:38 PM »
Y'all think some high schooler broke their leg walking up El Toro after Richie Jackson waxed it for his trick?

Richie Jackson has been generally harmless except the el Toro waxing and ruining spots by waxing the ground at the run-up, both seriously dangerous and careless things to do. That shit is unforgivable. Dudes a huge narcissist and a walking gimmick.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -487
« Reply #289 on: November 02, 2018, 02:54:43 PM »
Richie Jackson brings that caution Tape to spots and I find that hilarious.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #291 on: November 02, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »
Richie is a genius, getting paid to sit , slide on his ass. No getting hurt , no anxiety that you might get wrecked. Unadulterated fucking genius. N I know he's a good person by how many followers he has on instagram.  :)

ManMelt

« Reply #292 on: November 02, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
Richie is whatever, but I was let down to see a couple pros that I dig actually entertain this nonsense online. Everyone taking part ends up looking bad cause it’s all so ridiculous. Social Media ruined a lot of Pro’s for me.

tetanus xrist

• Rep: -18
« Reply #293 on: November 02, 2018, 07:27:15 PM »
Dickie Jackson is a fag, but he's done wonder$ for my doom metal sales.

Plunkett also indirectly called out Vinh Banh Wing Wong on the bunt, rats off to him!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:09:47 PM by tetanus xrist »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #294 on: November 03, 2018, 07:04:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Richie is good at skating, no doubt, but a lot of the stuff that he films doesn't seem to require much effort on his part, and blurs the line between skating and not skating (when most of the trick involves you standing on a piece of plastic while the board is just being held in your hands, it doesn't look like skateboarding to me).
[close]
so you hate Gou Miyagi too then huh?

It’s weird because I always loved Gou Miyagi’s skating and hated Ritchie’s...  Gou ‘s parts make me want to go skate; Ritchie’s make me want to take a shower.

Also, if you’re doing a trick that requires “bumpers”, you probably shouldn’t be doing it.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

ManMelt

« Reply #295 on: November 04, 2018, 12:56:16 AM »

Plunkett also indirectly called out Vinh Banh Wing Wong on the bunt, rats off to him!

How come Slap is so vigilant when it comes to pointing out any possibility of perceived racism, but still lets homosexual slurs fly under the radar?

tetanus xrist

• Rep: -18
« Reply #296 on: November 04, 2018, 01:02:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How come Slap is so vigilant when it comes to pointing out any possibility of perceived racism, but still lets homosexual slurs fly under the radar?

Sorry if I hurt any feelings  :'( I meant frig*, not fag.

Vert Reynolds

• Rep: -32
« Reply #297 on: November 04, 2018, 01:44:23 AM »
Richard Jackson can sail the seven seas but he can’t take a joke.

sounds like its time foe Richie boy to dial up 7 digits to call up Bridgette because her mans a Midget

So many Picnic Tables, SO much inspiration

I get inspired by the Blunts tooo................Revert
Do You even Street Style ???

ManMelt

« Reply #298 on: November 04, 2018, 01:01:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sorry if I hurt any feelings  :'( I meant frig*, not fag.

No hurt feelings, it’s cool. But honestly, how did Richie Jackson COMPLETELY lose his Aussie accent?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
« Reply #299 on: November 04, 2018, 02:52:53 PM »