Author Topic: ASICS - NEXT VIBRANT SCREENTEST  (Read 4874 times)

drinkwaterjamie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: ASICS - NEXT VIBRANT SCREENTEST
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2024, 02:34:29 AM »
I thought the video was reallly good, Jacob Harris's work isn't for everyone as this thread suggests but I thought the editing was spot on. Shay is amazing, Kyota Umeki's varial heel was so well done. Luca Hirata's assault down that stair set was a beauty too.

SelenaGlomez

• Rep: 13
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2024, 08:14:51 AM »
Am I the only one who finds some of Jacob Harris's work a little vapid? I've been a fan of the atlantic drift videos and some of the other projects he's put out but he seems to focus a little bit too much on b-roll and aesthetics and gets lost in the sauce. He definitely isn't the only filmer who's guilty of this and I don't think it takes away from the skating too much, but it's just something to think about.

Gnar_Gnar

• Rep: 4
  • Don’t give up
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2024, 02:16:09 PM »
I'm pretty bullish on Asics.  Shoes look sick, skating looks good.  I wasn't into the JRPG music but I'm curious to see how this brand shapes up.
Nose slide Crook
Nose slide Crook
Nose slide Crook

CarcassToss

• Rep: 30
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2024, 09:00:25 PM »
Am I the only one who finds some of Jacob Harris's work a little vapid? I've been a fan of the atlantic drift videos and some of the other projects he's put out but he seems to focus a little bit too much on b-roll and aesthetics and gets lost in the sauce. He definitely isn't the only filmer who's guilty of this and I don't think it takes away from the skating too much, but it's just something to think about.

It's definitely getting a bit stale. I like a lot of what he does, but there is the idea of overdoing something to the point where it becomes tiring. Kinda how I feel about Wes Anderson at this point as well.

Mywm

• Rep: 10
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2024, 06:18:01 AM »

I like some of his editing choices. Like the quick montage of Shay's bails on the ender. What I don't like is him dressing up dudes in silly props. For some reasons, theatrical shit doesn't sit right in skate videos for me. I already hated it in the In Search of the Miraculous video, but in this one it looks even more out of place.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 97
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2024, 07:05:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like some of his editing choices. Like the quick montage of Shay's bails on the ender. What I don't like is him dressing up dudes in silly props. For some reasons, theatrical shit doesn't sit right in skate videos for me. I already hated it in the In Search of the Miraculous video, but in this one it looks even more out of place.

I love harris’ edits usually but I have to agree the props and costumes took me out of the skating. It’s funny how a lot of skate filmers who fancy themselves “filmmakers” don’t use their b roll cinematically, it’s not usually added to create a narrative that relates to the act or experience of skating.

Take Carter or strobeck. Old alien videos work because they cull from the experience of skating. All the random shots of the Midwest/nature are things that you see while skating. It’s using aesthetics that exist in all our minds and incorporating them to create an experience. While you’re skating your eyes are always flickering around your surroundings to find spots. The b roll reminds me of that experience.

Similar to strobeck. While his style may be frustrating at times in terms of showing the trick it resembles how we look at skating on the sesh. I find myself generally looking at the board or the feet during a trick in real time and the face after. It can be hard to keep track of everything in the moment and I feel like at his best he captures that beautifully.

Maybe I’m not making sense but I guess I’m saying that I appreciate when videos are artistic by creating a visual vocabulary that connects to the experience of skating instead of the filmers random ideas that they’re just applying to a skate video to fill time.

SelenaGlomez

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2024, 07:48:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's definitely getting a bit stale. I like a lot of what he does, but there is the idea of overdoing something to the point where it becomes tiring. Kinda how I feel about Wes Anderson at this point as well.

The wes anderson comparison is spot on, and I think that it would be interesting to see one of these skate filmers include some narrative into the b-roll in a way that isn't for comedy. there have to be some good examples of this already that I'm missing but it's an interesting idea.

Mywm

• Rep: 10
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2024, 07:54:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I love harris’ edits usually but I have to agree the props and costumes took me out of the skating. It’s funny how a lot of skate filmers who fancy themselves “filmmakers” don’t use their b roll cinematically, it’s not usually added to create a narrative that relates to the act or experience of skating.

Take Carter or strobeck. Old alien videos work because they cull from the experience of skating. All the random shots of the Midwest/nature are things that you see while skating. It’s using aesthetics that exist in all our minds and incorporating them to create an experience. While you’re skating your eyes are always flickering around your surroundings to find spots. The b roll reminds me of that experience.

Similar to strobeck. While his style may be frustrating at times in terms of showing the trick it resembles how we look at skating on the sesh. I find myself generally looking at the board or the feet during a trick in real time and the face after. It can be hard to keep track of everything in the moment and I feel like at his best he captures that beautifully.

Maybe I’m not making sense but I guess I’m saying that I appreciate when videos are artistic by creating a visual vocabulary that connects to the experience of skating instead of the filmers random ideas that they’re just applying to a skate video to fill time.

I definetly get what you're saying. I don't remember from which video it was, but a while ago I saw a clip of someone going down a sidewalk while being filmed from inside a car. It instantly took me back to when my parents drove me around and I sat on the back of the car, looking through the window and imagining myself skating the sidewalks. If the clip wasn't clearly shot from inside a car, maybe I wouldn't have experienced these memories.

SelenaGlomez

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2024, 09:21:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I definetly get what you're saying. I don't remember from which video it was, but a while ago I saw a clip of someone going down a sidewalk while being filmed from inside a car. It instantly took me back to when my parents drove me around and I sat on the back of the car, looking through the window and imagining myself skating the sidewalks. If the clip wasn't clearly shot from inside a car, maybe I wouldn't have experienced these memories.

Prime example of this was the opening of the o vid by chase walker, specifically the shot where he's filming himself towing Alan Bell up to a street gap. First off it's a sick shot and second off it ties into the sense of deja vu that his videos seem to give off. The only way I could describe it is like being nostalgic for something that hasn't happened yet, hence filming the roll up like you might have in your friends car when you were 16 before AB blasts an ollie over the gap. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but the choices feel deliberate to me. Jacob Harris's videos feature a lot of interesting b-roll but it doesn't seem to have a theme or add up to anything other than being pretty or "artsy" just for the sake of it.