Author Topic: bikes  (Read 308151 times)

buffalo hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: bikes
« Reply #1080 on: March 20, 2019, 03:19:43 PM »
I'm racing in the Trans Am Race this year: Astoria OR- Yorktown VA, 4200 miles self supported ultra endurance race

https://transambikerace.com/

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #1081 on: March 20, 2019, 03:34:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Im injured so i cant skate lately.   But cycling is fine.  Ive been using a friends bmx in the mini vert bowl indoor ive access to.  Im starting to think bmxs are the best kinda bikes.  I learned airs on the quarter and those are really fun.  Bmx bikes are easy to forget about but their worth a go if you enjoy bikes in general.  Theyre responsivness is what makes them so fun.
[close]

I put together a bmx bike in December and have been having so much fun on it riding some local dirt jumps. I don’t do any tricks, I basically just try to survive. But yeah, bmx bikes are awesome.
As I get older shit gets a bit too rough and joints don't feel so hot even after a good warm up. I also have put together a junker bmx. It's a nice WTP frame with sealed parts and big as fuck bars, sometimes you know when to fold em like the gambler. riding dirt jumps and manuals are rad.
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1082 on: March 20, 2019, 04:16:21 PM »
I'm racing in the Trans Am Race this year: Astoria OR- Yorktown VA, 4200 miles self supported ultra endurance race

What bike will you be riding?  Do you just sleep where ever?

I google mapped that, and when I switched from car to bike it plugged the route within a few miles of my place.  So if you need a place to mail supplies or a place to crash, hit me up.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:22:47 PM by Joust Ostrich »
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1083 on: March 20, 2019, 04:24:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Im injured so i cant skate lately.   But cycling is fine.  Ive been using a friends bmx in the mini vert bowl indoor ive access to.  Im starting to think bmxs are the best kinda bikes.  I learned airs on the quarter and those are really fun.  Bmx bikes are easy to forget about but their worth a go if you enjoy bikes in general.  Theyre responsivness is what makes them so fun.
[close]

I put together a bmx bike in December and have been having so much fun on it riding some local dirt jumps. I don’t do any tricks, I basically just try to survive. But yeah, bmx bikes are awesome.
[close]
As I get older shit gets a bit too rough and joints don't feel so hot even after a good warm up. I also have put together a junker bmx. It's a nice WTP frame with sealed parts and big as fuck bars, sometimes you know when to fold em like the gambler. riding dirt jumps and manuals are rad.

Yah dude!!   I got a bmx when i was 17 i think.  Haro freestlye with the twin top tube and bash guard.  Id just smoke weed and ride it at nite for about 2 years.  It felt like its this secret super fun thing outside of skating. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:31:19 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
« Reply #1084 on: March 20, 2019, 04:35:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I google mapped that, and when I switched from car to bike it plugged the route within a few miles of my place.  So if you need a place to mail supplies or a place to crash, hit me up.

I'm riding a Giant road bike; thanks for the offer, but I'm not allowed to get outside help. I'll be sleeping anywhere I can find for a few hours. I'll be biking 18 hrs a day. Trying to finish in under 20 days.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1085 on: March 20, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm riding a Giant road bike; thanks for the offer, but I'm not allowed to get outside help. I'll be sleeping anywhere I can find for a few hours. I'll be biking 18 hrs a day. Trying to finish in under 20 days.

Good luck then.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1086 on: March 21, 2019, 10:22:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

DAMN! I'm leaving on a bike trip from LA to NY in less than a month and feel aggressive trying to do it in 35 days. It's a solo journey and not a race, but still.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #1087 on: March 22, 2019, 07:23:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yah dude!!   I got a bmx when i was 17 i think.  Haro freestlye with the twin top tube and bash guard.  Id just smoke weed and ride it at nite for about 2 years.  It felt like its this secret super fun thing outside of skating.
When I got into bmxing it was during that weird time when skating died in the early 90's. I've got adhd and had to do something instead of being a confused tomboy. I got my first bmx from a garage sale it was a Dyno/GT Detour. with the laxed bent back seat. I really thought I could do some shit when I would cruise around the neighborhood.

I recently got back into biking from having a fixie with a flipflop hub in Philly a while ago.  my man and I met this dude named Rob when we were in Ft Lauderdale, he was that weird kid you see at the park on bmx like oh shit who's this clown?! but when he skated he rips guess you can't judge too quickly put me and my man's rail skills to dust.

He eventually left but gave us some decent insiders info on local spots and where to find a bike collectives. He mentioned Slap in a too cool for us like fuck that shit.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1088 on: March 22, 2019, 12:52:58 PM »
you guys have some sick bikes. i am jealous as fuck.

i have been bikeless for almost 6years or so since mine got stolen, but i'm up for a new one. i was thinking about getting one with a flip flop hub. i rode on acquantances fixies a few times and always thought it was pretty fun, although those bikes were always too big for me to really enjoy riding them. my city is super flat, so i think i'd be fine with a single gear. the way people ride fixies in videos also reminds me of skating in the city.

i did some research and there's a shop in town where i could test out a fuji track or feather. those two bikes would be within my range, they seem nice enough, and i could check the model out in person. but maybe it's stupid to get a single speed/fixie to get back in again? i don't know, i would be down for hucking away and learning to skid and wheely, the prospect to do that sounds fun.

i am honestly tired of trying out heaps of trash that don't fit on the second hand market that i would have to build up anyways. also whenever i do the math about what parts i'd need the used bike is almost 80% the price of the new complete, hence why i was thinking of going the complete route.

any opinions appreciated, i still really haven't made up my mind about this one.

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #1089 on: March 22, 2019, 01:09:09 PM »
you guys have some sick bikes. i am jealous as fuck.

i have been bikeless for almost 6years or so since mine got stolen, but i'm up for a new one. i was thinking about getting one with a flip flop hub. i rode on acquantances fixies a few times and always thought it was pretty fun, although those bikes were always too big for me to really enjoy riding them. my city is super flat, so i think i'd be fine with a single gear. the way people ride fixies in videos also reminds me of skating in the city.

i did some research and there's a shop in town where i could test out a fuji track or feather. those two bikes would be within my range, they seem nice enough, and i could check the model out in person. but maybe it's stupid to get a single speed/fixie to get back in again? i don't know, i would be down for hucking away and learning to skid and wheely, the prospect to do that sounds fun.

i am honestly tired of trying out heaps of trash that don't fit on the second hand market that i would have to build up anyways. also whenever i do the math about what parts i'd need the used bike is almost 80% the price of the new complete, hence why i was thinking of going the complete route.

any opinions appreciated, i still really haven't made up my mind about this one.
made the mistake of buying secondhanded heaps of garbage. It's better to either build one up with all sealed parts that are to your specific needs, or finding a complete that's up to your specifications.

I ride a bit taller road bike frame as I am above average height, but on a bmx I have a 22"tt with 10"tall bars to compensate. I'd fuck with a 24" but those are wicked expensive.

for you I'd recommend a flip flop hub on a decent frame, you can tell the difference with weight and parts.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1090 on: March 23, 2019, 09:00:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
When I got into bmxing it was during that weird time when skating died in the early 90's. I've got adhd and had to do something instead of being a confused tomboy. I got my first bmx from a garage sale it was a Dyno/GT Detour. with the laxed bent back seat. I really thought I could do some shit when I would cruise around the neighborhood.

I recently got back into biking from having a fixie with a flipflop hub in Philly a while ago.  my man and I met this dude named Rob when we were in Ft Lauderdale, he was that weird kid you see at the park on bmx like oh shit who's this clown?! but when he skated he rips guess you can't judge too quickly put me and my man's rail skills to dust.

He eventually left but gave us some decent insiders info on local spots and where to find a bike collectives. He mentioned Slap in a too cool for us like fuck that shit.
   Yah the lay back seat post.  I read somone talking about how they hammer wooden dowling into the lay back seat post to prevent it from bending.  When i set up my own bmx it'll be like yours and I'll put in a lay backer too.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #1091 on: March 23, 2019, 11:07:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
   Yah the lay back seat post.  I read somone talking about how they hammer wooden dowling into the lay back seat post to prevent it from bending.  When i set up my own bmx it'll be like yours and I'll put in a lay backer too.
I love all bikes as well. My first pro BMX was a Norco Freestyle around 1984 ish. I've been riding a fixie for too long, I'm getting a BMX for Summer. None of this pedalling everywhere , I'm going to do table tops n coast all Summer.

frankenbrother

« Reply #1092 on: March 24, 2019, 12:19:29 PM »
Big Ripper, best bike I've ever owned.
Ride it 60 minutes to work daily, rain or shine and never had an issue in 4 years.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1093 on: March 25, 2019, 06:42:35 PM »
I just picked up my new bike for my tour next US tour next month. New Surly Long Haul Trucker. Only thing I've swapped out so far is the saddle but I have the rest of the kit coming in a week or two (racks, bags, pedals, new tires).

We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2543
« Reply #1094 on: March 26, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »
I just picked up my new bike for my tour next US tour next month. New Surly Long Haul Trucker. Only thing I've swapped out so far is the saddle but I have the rest of the kit coming in a week or two (racks, bags, pedals, new tires).

I've been eyeing the LHT for a while. I can't justify getting it just yet, but one day...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:22:38 AM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

ungzilla

« Reply #1095 on: March 26, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »
fuckin ditto

or one of those expensive ass niner gravel grinders

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1096 on: March 26, 2019, 12:45:02 PM »
made the mistake of buying secondhanded heaps of garbage. It's better to either build one up with all sealed parts that are to your specific needs, or finding a complete that's up to your specifications.

I ride a bit taller road bike frame as I am above average height, but on a bmx I have a 22"tt with 10"tall bars to compensate. I'd fuck with a 24" but those are wicked expensive.

for you I'd recommend a flip flop hub on a decent frame, you can tell the difference with weight and parts.

thanks for the input, sounds like one of the fujis wouldn't be too bad of a choice then. the feather at least comes with a flip flop hub and both bikes are said to come with decent cromo steel frames, in the latest release it's a reynolds 520. i don't know what that means, but some bike dudes i spoke to said these would be good frames for a bike with that price?

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1097 on: March 28, 2019, 09:53:58 AM »
This is my Transition Smuggler.  It is really long and slack but the steep seat tube angle allows it to climb really well. 
I put on 800mm Renthal bars which are nice and traded out the Sram brakes for Shimano XT.  Besides that it is the lowest level Smuggler so it pretty heavy but I stopped worrying about weigh and since I'm not racing XC I don't think it really matters.  The bike is really durable and so fast.  Definitely the most fun bike I have ever ridden.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:00:22 AM by rfox »

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #1098 on: March 28, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »
This is my Transition Smuggler.  It is really long and slack but the steep seat tube angle allows it to climb really well. 
I put on 800mm Renthal bars which are nice and traded out the Sram brakes for Shimano XT.  Besides that it is the lowest level Smuggler so it pretty heavy but I stopped worrying about weigh and since I'm not racing XC I don't think it really matters.  The bike is really durable and so fast.  Definitely the most fun bike I have ever ridden.

years ago I was in Denver I was scoping out rich kid dumpsters from college dorms and scored one of these Y framed springy type of bikes. It was a Fuji something or other had disk brakes and cool trimmings. It is amazing what you can find in the dumpsters.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1099 on: March 28, 2019, 11:08:34 PM »
On a ferry, hauling crap on a rare, sunny day. First bike I've ever owned with gearing, and I'm never looking back.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1100 on: March 30, 2019, 03:52:56 AM »
   Jones make a complete now for 1800 usd.  That would be a comfortable touring bike.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:54:59 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

mongopushingmallgraber

• Rep: 31
    • Voicemail avatar image
« Reply #1101 on: March 31, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »
Yo guys, need your help finding a bike good for me.

Im 6 foot 4 inches and am looking for a proper sized fixed gear bike.  I had a hand me down beater, but the shit was so god damn small for me.  I dont want the best one ever because I feel like i really need to earn it, but I also dont want the super entry level one you feel me?

Any cool websites or brands I should check out? TBH im completely new to it but its super fun and am really getting into it.

SHal0m

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1102 on: March 31, 2019, 12:41:31 PM »

Im 6 foot 4 inches and am looking for a proper sized fixed gear bike.  I had a hand me down beater, but the shit was so god damn small for me.  I dont want the best one ever because I feel like i really need to earn it, but I also dont want the super entry level one you feel me?

Any cool websites or brands I should check out? TBH im completely new to it but its super fun and am really getting into it.

SHal0m
   Get a mini velo fixie with a big ass frame if you can find one.   I think youd get alot outta one of those.  Even use it in your house plus the smaller wheel sets are way cheaper/stronger.  Really good acceleration and responsiveness.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 12:43:14 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1103 on: March 31, 2019, 01:38:35 PM »

SHal0m

Where are you located? 

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1104 on: April 07, 2019, 04:25:34 AM »
  I dont get the 29 mtbs.  I understand how theyre faster (maybe race courses are becoming less tech)but i could never see being excited by getting one.  Such stonky big pieces of shit.  Anybody make the switch from 26 to 29 happily?  Maybe i need to give them a real chance b4 judging rather than a quick ride.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1067
« Reply #1105 on: April 07, 2019, 05:54:39 PM »

SHal0m

I have had an SE bike for 4 years and it is great. I am 6 ft 1 and ride a 54 cm because I have a 31 inch inseam. If you have long legs (34”) you should get a 58”. Otherwise, go with a 56 cm. My advice is to always size slightly down if you want to hop up curbs and jump off curb cuts. I ride this bike pretty hard and I weigh 210 lbs and I have yet to bend a wheel. It comes with a flip flop hub which means you have a freewheel or fixie option. I have never ridden the fixie option because I am so used to back peddling that I would probably kill myself. My advice is spend $50-$100 on a decent seat (Terry is a good brand) because the stock seat will do damage to your prostate.

https://www.citygrounds.com/products/se-bikes-draft-single-speed-bike-2019?variant=12272397549679&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv7vE6aG_4QIVw5CfCh3wzg5gEAQYAyABEgLN1PD_BwE

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1106 on: April 30, 2019, 01:35:33 PM »
On a ferry, hauling crap on a rare, sunny day. First bike I've ever owned with gearing, and I'm never looking back.

Got a Croix de Fer as well, love this bike. Which year is that colour from ? I use mine mostly for long distance/touring, or basically whenever I feel the need to get out of the city.

Here it is in front of Mont St Michel last October when I finished the Paris -> Mont St Michel route. 

I'm currently building a Surly Steamroller singlespeed for everyday use though, I prefer no gears for the city !

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1107 on: May 01, 2019, 06:34:16 AM »
  I dont get the 29 mtbs.  I understand how theyre faster (maybe race courses are becoming less tech)but i could never see being excited by getting one.  Such stonky big pieces of shit.  Anybody make the switch from 26 to 29 happily?  Maybe i need to give them a real chance b4 judging rather than a quick ride.
I used to ride a cannondale lefty 29er, after previously riding a KONA with 26s The 29er felt amazing, it felt so good climbing hills, I had improved my fitness at time, but it didn't hurt riding a really responsive bike. I no longer mountain bike, it's so fucking scary and messy

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1108 on: May 01, 2019, 06:49:44 AM »
It was a very easy change from 26 to 29 for me.  plus the bike is longer and slacker with a steep seat angle so being tall I finally feel like the bike fits instead of me just being perched on top of it.  but ride what you want.  the bike industry has to force changes to keep selling every year

I really like the momentum the bigger wheels provide especially when pumping.  Maybe go up to 27.5 if 29 doesn't feel right.  you can also mix.  there is a lot of talk about 29 front 27.5 rear this year on the world cup downhill circuit.

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1109 on: May 01, 2019, 08:42:26 AM »
Any feedback on the 6ku single gear? Seems like a good compromise between price and quality and I've been thinking about getting one in addition to my current bike, which quite sturdy but super heavy…