Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797144 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6930 on: October 04, 2023, 09:43:34 AM »
Yeah that seems like a great application of the wheel.  If I skated DIY’s or crusty parks I’d roll with something bigger but for curbs or small street stuff the 99’s in a smaller size seems like something I’d run.  That said, I skate mostly newer parks so I see no need…..

When I hear skaters tell me how slippery wheels are in newer parks, for the most part I dismiss it because eventually you get used to it and a hard wheel work….

I am somewhat sympathetic to those who say super hard smaller wheels are harder to skate in the streets……

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6931 on: October 04, 2023, 09:55:57 AM »
Personally I don't see a need for 101 Spits and will likely go back to my 99 in a wider shape. I never found a huge difference between 99 and 101 and even at some smoother spots just preferred the slight bit of extra grip of the 99. Although it seems counterintuitive my 101s seemed to wear faster.

I'm messing with the X99 again for a specific rough park to re-learn more transition skills and seeing how I like them at curb spots. Its petty, but I still don't like the way they feel reverting or just the sound. Maybe the hollow axle/kingpin combo accentuates the sound? I swear that for some reason they seem harder to break into a slide than my Dragons and 97s were, but maybe they need to wear in? They're definitely faster in the V5/53 shape than my 52 Classics, but I think my Radial 53s are on par. The v5 shape is absolutely great and the closest shape I have found to the much vaunted grail Spitfire Classic Full that they rarely make and I keep on ice perpetually as I know they will be the last pair of that shape I will get to skate and I'm weird.

I've skated them at a much smoother park and they're pretty close to my 99 F4 52mm Classics. The difference is likely negligible and comes down to preference. It could be in my head, but it feels like they slide fine on waxed coping, but if there is a dry spot or at the end of say a crook when the grind slows down they slow a bit faster and I have to mildly adjust timing popping out. At one park on transition you can hear them squeal on the coping at the end of a grind. I have found on hurricanes that I tend to scoop with my back foot and slide the rear truck into the stall/grind, which takes a bit more work on these. At a red curb spot that is quite chunky they've been a bit challenging with Ventures (thanks to the rough grind and sticky paint), but ultimately being able to learn how to adjust my skating has been beneficial skills-wise.

TL;DR- I think I prefer the sound and feel of what I am used to, which is 99 F4 as I am not as picky about wheels in general, but I do think the X99 are the closest of this new Powell/Bones formula to what I would likely want to ride. With Dragons or X97 I found myself wanting to switch wheels between spots/types of skating but with these I could definitely leave them on

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #6932 on: October 04, 2023, 10:03:03 AM »
I couldn’t agree with you more….it’s all very nuanced…..I think even the sounds or lack there of affects your pop. 

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6933 on: October 04, 2023, 10:39:20 AM »
Personally I don't see a need for 101 Spits and will likely go back to my 99 in a wider shape. I never found a huge difference between 99 and 101 and even at some smoother spots just preferred the slight bit of extra grip of the 99. Although it seems counterintuitive my 101s seemed to wear faster.

I'm messing with the X99 again for a specific rough park to re-learn more transition skills and seeing how I like them at curb spots. Its petty, but I still don't like the way they feel reverting or just the sound. Maybe the hollow axle/kingpin combo accentuates the sound? I swear that for some reason they seem harder to break into a slide than my Dragons and 97s were, but maybe they need to wear in? They're definitely faster in the V5/53 shape than my 52 Classics, but I think my Radial 53s are on par. The v5 shape is absolutely great and the closest shape I have found to the much vaunted grail Spitfire Classic Full that they rarely make and I keep on ice perpetually as I know they will be the last pair of that shape I will get to skate and I'm weird.

I've skated them at a much smoother park and they're pretty close to my 99 F4 52mm Classics. The difference is likely negligible and comes down to preference. It could be in my head, but it feels like they slide fine on waxed coping, but if there is a dry spot or at the end of say a crook when the grind slows down they slow a bit faster and I have to mildly adjust timing popping out. At one park on transition you can hear them squeal on the coping at the end of a grind. I have found on hurricanes that I tend to scoop with my back foot and slide the rear truck into the stall/grind, which takes a bit more work on these. At a red curb spot that is quite chunky they've been a bit challenging with Ventures (thanks to the rough grind and sticky paint), but ultimately being able to learn how to adjust my skating has been beneficial skills-wise.

TL;DR- I think I prefer the sound and feel of what I am used to, which is 99 F4 as I am not as picky about wheels in general, but I do think the X99 are the closest of this new Powell/Bones formula to what I would likely want to ride. With Dragons or X97 I found myself wanting to switch wheels between spots/types of skating but with these I could definitely leave them on

I love the 101 but yeah I agree 99 definitely sounds better.

My 101s are faster that's about it.

I'd sell a soul (not mine) for a 58-60mm 101a F4 in the og shape.

In fuckin ORANGE!

In my opinion orange is the best wheel colour. Unfortunately I'm sure if want big ass orange wheels I gotta do Speed wheels and I'm addicted to F4/ bones park formula too.

I been riding the dragons because I have no wheels bigger than 54. I like them but it's moist out here almost everyday now. Massachusetts is turning into Florida. Not even slowly either.

I was about to post a long hopper post complaint till I saw your post and my delivery arrived from orchard.

I fuckin love my shop. I was thinking horrendous stuff and they and you pals pulled me back in.

That wheels thing and all my friends are dying. My family's triple funeral is eating me up.

I gotta get to the curb. Hopefully I'm not too old for these dragons. I feel like these was designed for people who are new to eating shit.

Anyway I was thinking of getting rid of some old nos 7.5-7.75 stage 7s and maybe I'd get rid of the old 30 whatever mm buttered tablets I got.

If anyone has some old 58-60mm og classic F4 I'd trade in a heartbeat. Any 57+mm f4 I'd trade the trucks or wheels for.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6934 on: October 04, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »
But yeah

Dragons and the smallest amount of ground sweat (dew) your slipping out like you trying to 101a tre on the Rye Airfield vert ramp's flat bottom.
(A)pl(E)

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #6935 on: October 04, 2023, 12:26:42 PM »
Expand Quote

That V4 shape ain’t half bad tho. Looks pretty close to spit classic shape. Little thicker.
[close]

Definitely chunkier for sure. I rode some V4 54mm STF 99a's over a year ago and thought that for a firm wheel they were decent for just rolling about and fairly forgiving on moderately rough surfaces (I didn't try any sliding on them at the time so couldn't vouch for them in that regard).
Gutted I've not been able to try out these new Dragons just yet, its been raining for the past few days so I'm just waiting for things to dry out (a few bits I've read on them suggest that they're not very good in wet/damp conditions).

I might have to bite the bullet and get dragons at some point. Just to try them and I guess they’re good to have in any arsenal.

Bones V5 is pretty much the perfect shape. Not too slim, not too wide. Having them in now both X97s and X99s should cater for my appetite for Spitfire Radial Slims which seem to be nonexistent these days, at least if you want them in 54/55mms.

I might really have to check them out. Been intrigued for a while.

Still hoping they put out a V4 or V6 X97, in a 52.

That's the beauty of x97/99s, you can skate crust with a small wheel with no issues.

Once I tried the x99s I've not gone back to dragons/x97 or stf/spit 99s for out in the wild, real world street skating (especially skating spot to spot) it's a no compromise wheel.

If I was a park rat it'd be 101s all day - probably SPFs or OJ elite hardlines; plaza skating? 101 spits or 103 stfs..

These days I find zero need for 99a stf or spits (looks over at that box of 99a spits).

Nano cubics? Meh....I'll pass for now, but I DO like the increase hanger room concept...but have no issue with axles as I run washer to net flushness and they're not gonna help landing primo...only primo tricks...which only a few are doing these days...wonder if mullen is checking them out.

I like your comparisons/uses of different duros. I might try X99 for my bigger setup. To have that width. But I think for a V5 52, I’d better stick with the stickier X97.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

And_so_it_goes22

• Rep: 26
« Reply #6936 on: October 04, 2023, 01:30:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I love the 101 but yeah I agree 99 definitely sounds better.

My 101s are faster that's about it.

I'd sell a soul (not mine) for a 58-60mm 101a F4 in the og shape.

In fuckin ORANGE!

In my opinion orange is the best wheel colour. Unfortunately I'm sure if want big ass orange wheels I gotta do Speed wheels and I'm addicted to F4/ bones park formula too.

I been riding the dragons because I have no wheels bigger than 54. I like them but it's moist out here almost everyday now. Massachusetts is turning into Florida. Not even slowly either.

I was about to post a long hopper post complaint till I saw your post and my delivery arrived from orchard.

I fuckin love my shop. I was thinking horrendous stuff and they and you pals pulled me back in.

That wheels thing and all my friends are dying. My family's triple funeral is eating me up.

I gotta get to the curb. Hopefully I'm not too old for these dragons. I feel like these was designed for people who are new to eating shit.

Anyway I was thinking of getting rid of some old nos 7.5-7.75 stage 7s and maybe I'd get rid of the old 30 whatever mm buttered tablets I got.

If anyone has some old 58-60mm og classic F4 I'd trade in a heartbeat. Any 57+mm f4 I'd trade the trucks or wheels for.

The Speedlab Juggernautz are 60/99 and come in orange.  But they’re more of a classic shape, not OG classic.  I’ve never skated these specific wheels but I love the Fastplants and Jason Adam’s wheels.

I don’t know if it’s because their team is so much more vert oriented than most other companies, but speed lab seems to offer more taller wheels than the other companies.

Twig88

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6937 on: October 04, 2023, 02:30:48 PM »
I know they've been out for a while but I enjoyed reading both of your assessment of Dragons, I've just grabbed my first set of 53mm V4 shape Dragons from one of my local shops and hope to have them set up by the end of the week. I'll be changing from Spitfire 97d 53mm classics so I'm looking forward to comparing those myself!
PS Twig88 The comparison with Ricta Clouds was really useful to me as I'd been considering trying them for a while, I'm curious did you have the Cored or Standard 56mm 92a's? As a side note, have you had any experience with Rictas 95a Crystal Cores? I've only caught the odd review of them here and there online but the feedback on them looks good. The largest size they make of those is 54mm which might be limiting for some.
Cheers!

Super slow reply, sorry. I have had uncored 86A, uncored 92A and cored 92A clouds. The 86A is soft enough to roll better on rough stuff than the Dragons but has terrible slide. I've never tried the 95A Rictas but my guess, based on the other formulas, is the Dragons both slide better and roll better than 95A Ricta. I'm toying with the idea of trying X97 but that seems super hard for what I usually ride.

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6938 on: October 05, 2023, 12:52:32 AM »
Expand Quote
I know they've been out for a while but I enjoyed reading both of your assessment of Dragons, I've just grabbed my first set of 53mm V4 shape Dragons from one of my local shops and hope to have them set up by the end of the week. I'll be changing from Spitfire 97d 53mm classics so I'm looking forward to comparing those myself!
PS Twig88 The comparison with Ricta Clouds was really useful to me as I'd been considering trying them for a while, I'm curious did you have the Cored or Standard 56mm 92a's? As a side note, have you had any experience with Rictas 95a Crystal Cores? I've only caught the odd review of them here and there online but the feedback on them looks good. The largest size they make of those is 54mm which might be limiting for some.
Cheers!
[close]

Super slow reply, sorry. I have had uncored 86A, uncored 92A and cored 92A clouds. The 86A is soft enough to roll better on rough stuff than the Dragons but has terrible slide. I've never tried the 95A Rictas but my guess, based on the other formulas, is the Dragons both slide better and roll better than 95A Ricta. I'm toying with the idea of trying X97 but that seems super hard for what I usually ride.

No worries at all and thanks for the reply! I'm going to give my new Dragons a good run before trying anything else but cheers for the Ricta cloud insight as I've always been interested in them. I'm the same regarding the X97's, I wanted to go a touch softer from Spitfire 97d's so will see how the Dragons fair before going back up in durometer.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6939 on: October 09, 2023, 09:30:46 PM »
I'm going to maybe switch it soon. I noticed bones has a 60x34 in 99a with a monster truck on the graphics.

Spit needs a 60mm wheel besides the classic
(A)pl(E)

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6940 on: October 10, 2023, 12:58:16 AM »

I'm guessing you want a 99A, but there's a 97A 60mm radial full out there: https://www.spitfirewheels.com/tfunk-savie/

Those bad boys have a 29mm contact patch.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #6941 on: October 13, 2023, 03:16:52 AM »
Back on wheels (Haze, very good brand) in 51 mm.

For me this is part of the perfect size, it's really the size that I accept directly on my setup. 52 is very good, versatile, but new, a little too big for me haha

I plan to use the 51 mm on independent forged hollows! Even if on high trucks, you often need big wheels, I like this kind of setup, like in the years 2005/2010 when the pros skated indy with 50 mm haha

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6942 on: October 13, 2023, 04:17:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm guessing you want a 99A, but there's a 97A 60mm radial full out there: https://www.spitfirewheels.com/tfunk-savie/

Those bad boys have a 29mm contact patch.

There is also the Kader 59 mm in 99 duro, which is pretty close and still big and fast feeling, which I just tried.

Also there was the Kanfoush 60 mm 99 duro Conical Full, hard hat graphic, which I still see around, but might be sold out everywhere else.

A few more big wheels might be coming out in future drops too, so keep an eye out and stock up while you can if they are a shape you like.

Classics do skate very well in the 60 mm size though, quite wide 39 mm and full feeling, 25 mm or so riding surface on this set I have, which feel a bit more normal to me than Conical Full, Radial Full or OG Classics.  I guess everyone is different, and sometimes a 58 mm or even 59 mm wheel is just not quite enough, although there are a lot more in those sizes in different shapes.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 179
« Reply #6943 on: October 14, 2023, 02:48:55 AM »
Can anyone give some feedback on the oj prototypes?

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #6944 on: October 14, 2023, 03:51:46 AM »

The dual duros? I think they were confirmed to be shitty.
https://youtu.be/yDRtTtCQne4?feature=shared

Orangepulp1000

« Reply #6945 on: October 14, 2023, 05:19:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah they’re the ones. Ah right ok cheers for that just saved me $100 or so

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6946 on: October 14, 2023, 04:03:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

While I thought Spitfire wheels were getting expensive at almost AU$100, I saw those dual duro OJs were AU$110 to $120 a set and from what people were saying about them, there is no way I would justify that expense for a wheel that still flatspots and doesn't actually skate as well as the hype.

I haven't seen or ridden them, so really I don't have anything to add, but even just the options of any normal wheel being more down around the AU$80 or less with discount code or percentage off sales, I really wonder how many people would actually buy them, being that high in price - I think the highest I have ever seen a set of wheels for, I might add.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Orangepulp1000

« Reply #6947 on: October 14, 2023, 07:21:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

While I thought Spitfire wheels were getting expensive at almost AU$100, I saw those dual duro OJs were AU$110 to $120 a set and from what people were saying about them, there is no way I would justify that expense for a wheel that still flatspots and doesn't actually skate as well as the hype.

I haven't seen or ridden them, so really I don't have anything to add, but even just the options of any normal wheel being more down around the AU$80 or less with discount code or percentage off sales, I really wonder how many people would actually buy them, being that high in price - I think the highest I have ever seen a set of wheels for, I might add.

Yeah I know hey, I did have the thought it might be worth a try as I skate a lot of car parks and that here in Aus and thought the double duro would help reduce vibration asphalt but I guess that I nearly got sucked into the marketing. Glad I didn’t fork out the money for them and asked on here first. I’m usually on ff 99 classics but might try the ff 97’s.

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #6948 on: October 15, 2023, 08:48:38 AM »
Dont waste your money on those OJs. F4 97, Bones X and Dragons will be best choice for your needs.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #6949 on: October 15, 2023, 12:43:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I still want my money back from these but at least it made for good video content (and a warning to others).

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #6950 on: October 16, 2023, 10:58:05 AM »
Loophole new drop today. They look like formula 4. I think it's the new formula that is supposed to be a better version of the old nfg formula. Waiting on a reply.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #6951 on: October 16, 2023, 11:19:14 AM »
Loophole new drop today. They look like formula 4. I think it's the new formula that is supposed to be a better version of the old nfg formula. Waiting on a reply.

Oh this definitely looks like that new HLC urethane someone posted about recently

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #6952 on: October 16, 2023, 11:49:05 AM »

It’s probably completely unrelated to NFG, I doubt that the people currently making Loopholes are intricately aware of how NFG handled their urethane production

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #6953 on: October 16, 2023, 12:27:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s probably completely unrelated to NFG, I doubt that the people currently making Loopholes are intricately aware of how NFG handled their urethane production

If NFG owners are out of business with no plans to reopen then they may have gifted the formula to Loophole. I guess only a rider of both would feel the difference.

Boog

« Reply #6954 on: October 16, 2023, 04:13:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If NFG owners are out of business with no plans to reopen then they may have gifted the formula to Loophole. I guess only a rider of both would feel the difference.
I didn't say anyone from nfg was involved. I said it's supposed to be better than the old nfg formula. And it is confirmed to be the new formula. You can ask them yourself if you want.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #6955 on: October 16, 2023, 04:22:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

From what I know about NFG I think that's pretty unlikely. I'm pretty sure that after NFG, Loophole started using a different manufacturing company that is unrelated to NFG and the guy who ran it.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

GS77

« Reply #6956 on: October 16, 2023, 04:32:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I didn't say anyone from nfg was involved. I said it's supposed to be better than the old nfg formula. And it is confirmed to be the new formula. You can ask them yourself if you want.

I was responding to Dr. Prestige not you. Lighten up in the wheel section.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #6957 on: October 16, 2023, 05:07:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

From what I know about NFG I think that's pretty unlikely. I'm pretty sure that after NFG, Loophole started using a different manufacturing company that is unrelated to NFG and the guy who ran it.
pretty sure loophole is going through hlc based on the shape names carrying over from this catalog to the loophole site
https://mfg.hlcdist.com/wp-content/uploads/catalogos/hlc-oem-catalogue-skateboard.pdf
sr & mt

Boog

« Reply #6958 on: October 16, 2023, 05:37:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I was responding to Dr. Prestige not you. Lighten up in the wheel section.
My bad I wasn't responding to you I meant to quote dr. Prestige as well.

GS77

« Reply #6959 on: October 16, 2023, 06:01:34 PM »
No problem. I work in the chemical industry and I know that once you have a formula that works it is most effective to use that formula to build new formulas.

Many people here say NFG>F4 so I thought maybe NFG would allow Loophole to build off that formula.