Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 87047 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2022, 12:35:33 PM »
DLX III is like my Goldilocks but I am still a kook going through every deck in a shop to get one

1. III
2. II
3. IV
4. I

In that order.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #241 on: July 05, 2022, 12:39:13 PM »
Expand Quote
DLX III is like my Goldilocks but I am still a kook going through every deck in a shop to get one
[close]

1. III
2. II
3. IV
4. I

In that order.

Me riding thunders:
1. IV
2. III
3. II
4. I

Me after switching to ace lows:
1. I
2. II
3. III
4. IV

Just as the romans intended

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #242 on: July 05, 2022, 05:02:53 PM »
I just picked up the three Ti 159s i mentioned.

I picked them up because I knew I had an Anti Hero Blue Meanie in the stack.

What I forgot is that I also have a Polar 1992, and a Schmitt Joe Lopes that would take them if I used wide wheels.

But no..... I don't have a problem.  Why do you ask?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #243 on: July 05, 2022, 06:26:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

1. III
2. II
3. IV
4. I

In that order.
[close]

Me riding thunders:
1. IV
2. III
3. II
4. I

Me after switching to ace lows:
1. I
2. II
3. III
4. IV

Just as the romans intended

Ha yeah, I can see this getting interesting.

I can always flatten a steeper board, but I can't make a flat board steeper, so now I don't mind what number is on it cause I can fix it to what I like anyway.

Some presses are definitely more mellow and some steeper anyway, cause I have quite a few of the I stamped boards that are way more mellow than all the other IV stamped boards and seeing some info on Kyle Walker's preference for mellow boards and he rides an 8.38 often means I get more mellow Real boards anyway, although it is not just limited to Real, with them coming on Krooked and Antihero graphics too.

There have only ever been two I just thought "This is too mellow" and not bought them or set them up and passed them on to others, or put them on the wall in the shop, which might have been the Kyle mold as mentioned.

Just unfortunate if it is someone ordering online, or that was all that was available, cause these things were sooooo flat, even for my standards and I like them mellow.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #244 on: July 05, 2022, 06:30:52 PM »
I just picked up the three Ti 159s i mentioned.

I picked them up because I knew I had an Anti Hero Blue Meanie in the stack.

What I forgot is that I also have a Polar 1992, and a Schmitt Joe Lopes that would take them if I used wide wheels.

But no..... I don't have a problem.  Why do you ask?

"I don't have a problem"

Says the man with 1.5 pairs of trucks
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #245 on: July 06, 2022, 08:46:09 AM »
Ah shit I tried out a friends setup (FA 8.25 with Indy Hollows w/ Cast plates) - 2 components I would not have considered riding especially the tall / heavy Indys. Solid pop, stick to your feet kind of setup you instantly connect with.

Shit's got my mind wondering.

FUCK!!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #246 on: July 06, 2022, 08:59:28 AM »
Ah shit I tried out a friends setup (FA 8.25 with Indy Hollows w/ Cast plates) - 2 components I would not have considered riding especially the tall / heavy Indys. Solid pop, stick to your feet kind of setup you instantly connect with.

FUCK!!

If you had those or something similar in stock, you could do some "product testing research" otherwise a single skate / session on something different might just be a curious interest.

Others I know preferred the hollow forged varieties coming from or swapping back and forth between Thunder and Venture, but that might have made things even more weird now.

Have another session on your own board before making any other decisions.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 62
« Reply #247 on: July 06, 2022, 09:28:57 AM »
I really wanted to ride my Indy Ti149s with the stock bushings. But after few sessions one top bushing started to splinter and turning was.. strange. New cycle of Film bushings. I hope it's gonna be good enough for this round...

ish_wav

• Rep: 97
« Reply #248 on: July 06, 2022, 03:08:53 PM »
I’m riding forged hollow 149s on an Anti Hero rn but I want to try forged hollow 144s that I just bought… would it be crazy if I just swapped the hangers? That would definitely work right?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #249 on: July 06, 2022, 03:17:26 PM »
I’m riding forged hollow 149s on an Anti Hero rn but I want to try forged hollow 144s that I just bought… would it be crazy if I just swapped the hangers? That would definitely work right?

yes

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2022, 04:32:53 PM »
Dropped off a stack of old boards and wheel at the skatepark, mailed those Royal trucks (thanks @LebowskisRug) to my friend back home to skate until they crack, sorted all my old bearings into the metal recycling, and didn't buy a single thing over the 4th of July sales.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2022, 06:47:25 PM »
Dropped off a stack of old boards and wheel at the skatepark, mailed those Royal trucks (thanks @LebowskisRug) to my friend back home to skate until they crack, sorted all my old bearings into the metal recycling, and didn't buy a single thing over the 4th of July sales.

Expand Quote

FUCK!!
[close]

If you had those or something similar in stock, you could do some "product testing research" otherwise a single skate / session on something different might just be a curious interest.

Others I know preferred the hollow forged varieties coming from or swapping back and forth between Thunder and Venture, but that might have made things even more weird now.

Have another session on your own board before making any other decisions.

I know that's the smart thing to do, should have skated his setup for more than just 2 ollies to see if the novelty wore off. Doesn't help that I have some 8.5s on hand which got me thinking of sizing up but I don't want to get into a brand new ecosystem of 8.5" trucks.

Doesn't help that I can't pinpoint what caused me to like his setup. The height + weight of Indys? The steep FA kicks? 54mm Bones Wheels?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 10:43:39 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2022, 07:51:59 PM »

I know that's the smart thing to do, should have skated his setup for more than just 2 ollies to see if the novelty wore off. Doesn't help that I have some 8.5s on hand which got me thinking of sizing up but I don't want to get into a brand new ecosystem of 8.5" trucks.

Doesn't help that I can't pinpoint what caused me to like his setup. The height + weight of Indys? The steep FA kicks? 54mm Bones Wheels?

Yeah, too many variables right there.

For me sizing up was worse than pulling teeth, as I had my usual 8.12 black eagle on 139s as a normal board, then had one blue eagle 8.5 on 149s with all those proportionate parts, as well as a white eagle 8.75 on 159s too, but the bigger boards were always more just a fun roll around rather than trying the same things on them.

I still skate my old smaller boards sometimes (trying some flip tricks occasionally) but more so now I have let that go and just been more so rolling around and doing everything else (no flips really, but I did a month or so ago just for a laugh) on the bigger 8.38 or 8.5 sized boards as my usual go to.

Sure others can flip and throw around bigger boards when they get used to them (and even I could too if I really tried) but to say it changes everything to go up is an understatement.

If you had the space and resources, I found it is good to have one or more of the different / bigger boards set up and there if you needed to try it again, or other sizes than you usually skate, just so if or when the madness takes hold, you can jump on it and have it, or even for others to try, but with constraints on space or other things, it might be better to just stick to the good sizes and things you know and focus on that.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #253 on: July 06, 2022, 08:45:08 PM »
Sounds like maybe it was just a good graphic….

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: July 06, 2022, 10:44:32 PM »
Sounds like maybe it was just a good graphic….

Can't be, it was a FA deck....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #255 on: July 07, 2022, 05:57:32 AM »
It's not surprising basic Indy's work on an FA/Hockey considering most of their riders skate Indy and Thunder.

They have wide but not long tails and the tail isn't too steep. For me it's the nose and short WB that fucks me up.

IpathCats

« Reply #256 on: July 07, 2022, 06:49:19 AM »
i cannot stand that super steep kick shovel nose FA shape. Quasis are kinda similar too.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #257 on: July 07, 2022, 06:52:09 AM »
Expand Quote
I have to renew my license and insurance this week.
I’m like 200 short.

My mind is screaming to buy 6.1s. I definitely don’t need new trucks. I want them.

I don’t even got shoes rn. Wtf is my problem
[close]

what size shoe do you wear?

My feets is tini
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

IpathCats

« Reply #258 on: July 07, 2022, 06:58:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have to renew my license and insurance this week.
I’m like 200 short.

My mind is screaming to buy 6.1s. I definitely don’t need new trucks. I want them.

I don’t even got shoes rn. Wtf is my problem
[close]

what size shoe do you wear?
[close]

My feets is tini

ah dang. I'm a size 10. was going to see if you wanted these lakai trudgers i skated in a couple times, not digging them personally. If you grow a size and a half theyre yours lol.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #259 on: July 07, 2022, 09:42:47 AM »
Man I wish concave didn't differ between decks in a press. DLX III is like my Goldilocks but I am still a kook going through every deck in a shop to get one

A DLX III were also always my favorite. Then one day I got a Anti Hero I and yeah..

As far as my experiences go, a DLX III is really similar concave wise to Darkroom and Magenta decks. Both from BBS too.

You know how the homie @Mbrimson88 says..

Just a few options.
IG: @flowterspace

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #260 on: July 07, 2022, 09:58:58 AM »
The only madness that has taken a hold of me is shoe madness. I've never found a pair that I could stick with.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #261 on: July 07, 2022, 10:27:30 AM »
Its all just too fucking tempting.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #262 on: July 07, 2022, 10:46:37 AM »
i cannot stand that super steep kick shovel nose FA shape. Quasis are kinda similar too.

I’m the opposite , give me that square ass full shape ! Nollie Noseslide and nollie crooks work so well , I love that nollie and switch pop it gives off as well

Skated Alien Workshop and Habitat decks growing up which definitely had those square shapes from PSstix and I’ve really enjoyed FA 8-8.18” , Quasi / GX / WKND 8.125” quasi’s was a little bit more mellow it felt like .

PSstix GX 8.25” is a crazy type of tapered shape , where the front truck is 8.125” , the back truck 8” , and in between is 8.25 , really squared off shape too , im intrigued to try it but will stick with the 8.125”

IpathCats

« Reply #263 on: July 07, 2022, 11:11:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m the opposite , give me that square ass full shape ! Nollie Noseslide and nollie crooks work so well , I love that nollie and switch pop it gives off as well

Skated Alien Workshop and Habitat decks growing up which definitely had those square shapes from PSstix and I’ve really enjoyed FA 8-8.18” , Quasi / GX / WKND 8.125” quasi’s was a little bit more mellow it felt like .

PSstix GX 8.25” is a crazy type of tapered shape , where the front truck is 8.125” , the back truck 8” , and in between is 8.25 , really squared off shape too , im intrigued to try it but will stick with the 8.125”

Do you do flip tricks a lot? Thats where i hate them specifically.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #264 on: July 07, 2022, 11:40:03 AM »
Same. I like the Baker nose a lot. It's a bit longer but tapered for a quick flick.

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #265 on: July 07, 2022, 02:31:20 PM »

The Hockey shape is too steep for me, even the 8.44 tapered shape. I find Quasi to be much more mellow though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #266 on: July 07, 2022, 02:49:18 PM »
Can verify Quasi are more mellow and I like the tail more.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
« Reply #267 on: July 07, 2022, 10:04:26 PM »
The only madness that has taken a hold of me is shoe madness. I've never found a pair that I could stick with.

Damn that’s the only madness I don’t have right now

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #268 on: July 07, 2022, 10:45:03 PM »
I wasn’t going to say anything but I have no idea how you skate in those pants….

djoekr

• Rep: 300
« Reply #269 on: July 08, 2022, 12:31:25 AM »

I haven't settled on a deck, but my madness is mostly cured. Always riding Reebok Club C's, Indy 159s, 54mm Spitfire Conical Full and Bones bearings & bushings. I've got a 9 inch Polar popsicle I'm skating right now which I really like, but I've still got a 8.75 popsicle, 2 9 inch Heroin Zane shaped decks and a Huffer lying around. I'm starting to come to terms that I might not find my holy grail deck. Switching it up has been fun for me, so for now I'm fine with where I'm at. Having a stack of decks does make me feel kinda guilty about hoarding gear, but at least it motivates me to go out.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it