Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 87155 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #840 on: February 09, 2023, 10:10:18 AM »
Considering the cost of food and inflation that could be one of the worst ways to spend your remaining money.

IpathCats

« Reply #841 on: February 09, 2023, 10:43:39 AM »
I'm having a hard time fighting the urge to buy tensor mags.

I only got 60 bucks for the next 9 days.

I fucking want them. It's super hard to be waxing curbs with tendinitis.

Well they dont last very long and they're pretty expensive. wouldnt recommend.

Some good ol indy standards will plow through crust with less wax than any other truck though (aside from tensor mags).

BUT theyre WAY too heavy for me personally. you would have some $ left over though lol
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 10:52:04 AM by IpathCats »

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #842 on: February 09, 2023, 11:36:55 AM »
Just stacked all my new a barely used decks on my desk. God, I have a problem. I skate a couple days a week at most. It’ll take me at least three years to use all this shit. A deck can last me for three months and this is Ohio, so I barely skate in the winter. So I could get by with like four decks a year. Also, I have five setups 😵‍💫

On some real stuff, I need to get my stress under control. I think I’ve been buying skate stuff as a coping mechanism.

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #843 on: February 09, 2023, 12:07:59 PM »
Just stacked all my new a barely used decks on my desk. God, I have a problem. I skate a couple days a week at most. It’ll take me at least three years to use all this shit. A deck can last me for three months and this is Ohio, so I barely skate in the winter. So I could get by with like four decks a year. Also, I have five setups 😵‍💫

On some real stuff, I need to get my stress under control. I think I’ve been buying skate stuff as a coping mechanism.

Take this stack x6, and you’re at about where I’m at  :-X

Yeah, honestly… I’m with you on spending money/online shopping as a coping mechanism. I feel like I’m trying to fill some kind if emotional void in my life, and it’s hard to break that cycle.

I can’t be too upset about having enough gear to last me for years, but it is absurd to say the least.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

OhioGuy

« Reply #844 on: February 09, 2023, 12:11:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, honestly… I’m with you on spending money/online shopping as a coping mechanism. I feel like I’m trying to fill some kind if emotional void in my life, and it’s hard to break that cycle.

I can’t be too upset about having enough gear to last me for years, but it is absurd to say the least.
I feel like my issue is I always want to use the newest stuff first and my taste changes so fast. Like I already hate some of the graphics lol. Maybe we can open a skate shop one day 😀

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #845 on: February 09, 2023, 03:11:10 PM »
I've definitely come to sense. I just gotta get softer wax
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 97
« Reply #846 on: February 09, 2023, 05:20:17 PM »

The other week I got some 5.25s for $40 on eBay by submitting a best offer when they were listed for $62 or something.  I bookmarked the listing and then a couple days later the seller opened the or best offer option.  Let me know if you want the seller name. 

OhioGuy

« Reply #847 on: February 09, 2023, 05:26:57 PM »
All of my cruisers have been shaped boards and I kinda hated them. So I took this 8.6 deck, combined it with some 9.0 Krux and 60mm Slimeballs. It’s surprising light. Gonna test it out tomorrow. I was tempted to get some 60mm Dragons so I could slide around, but I’m trying to not buy any new parts when I have spare stuff. We’ll see how long I last 🫣

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #848 on: February 09, 2023, 06:31:17 PM »

One of the OGs (in his 40s) from my area got some a few weeks ago and said they were the worst truck he's ever had. He said they didn't turn and he had bones bushings in them

Puddy Smally

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #849 on: February 09, 2023, 07:22:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I feel like my issue is I always want to use the newest stuff first and my taste changes so fast. Like I already hate some of the graphics lol. Maybe we can open a skate shop one day 😀

Funny you should mention a skateshop, as via @rocklobster (who is the goddamn man btw!) I basically was the catalyst for just that!

My shoe bin is just as bad as my deck bin!

Do you get deja vu, huh?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #850 on: February 09, 2023, 07:23:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have definitely been in a position where I stocked up on a specific thing, only to end up riding a different size board - black eagle 8.125 x 20 or more, then went up to 8.38 or 8.5 so I either had a whole lot of nice wall hangers, or found people to pass them on to.  I wasn't about to just list them on ebay or anything.

Sometimes it can come back to bite you but more often than not having options and a few (I say a few but yeah probably lots) different options for when you want to set up the next board is a good thing.  You can always take any you are completely not going to ride with you and see if anyone you skate with wants to buy / swap / whatever, or just in case there is a kid or other somewhere that might be deserving of a board, you have one ready to go for them.

I think the buy and sell market on here is pretty good too, but not being in USA, it might be a good thing I can't jump on all the good deals people have up in the sale section.  Moving some stuff you don't want and helping a fellow skater could be a double plus.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #851 on: February 10, 2023, 01:30:59 AM »

I’m in a similar situation as you are. What helped me was to post it all in this thread. I made it quite well visible how mad it is. I haven’t bought new skate stuff for a good while. I did buy some rails a while ago because I wanted to have the right color.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you’re not alone in this and trying to focus on something else might be helpful. I’ve skated more and if I can’t skate but want to fill in the skating void in my life I’ve been watching videos more. Even trick tips and shit like that. I’ve realized that buying excess stuff doesn’t make me a better skater nor does it make me happy so I try to actively avoid it and replace it with something better. Instead of going to the skate shop if I have no need or browsing online, I now rather try to read a book, do some stretching, draw or whatever else I find pleasure in.

I’m currently skating an old deck I gripped years ago and never rode with wheels I thought I’d never end up riding. Feels awesome. Little bit more manageable than the bigger setups I’ve been skating lately. My tastes are changing all the time and they’re going back and forth also so it seems like I’ll have use for the older stuff I figured I’d maybe never skate.

Also just donating and selling the excess stuff you have can be helpful. I’ve done that lately with like 70% of the clothes I have and it’s such a good feeling reducing all the excess shit I don’t need.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #852 on: February 10, 2023, 01:45:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Anyway, I just wanted to say that you’re not alone in this and trying to focus on something else might be helpful. I’ve skated more and if I can’t skate but want to fill in the skating void in my life I’ve been watching videos more. Even trick tips and shit like that. I’ve realized that buying excess stuff doesn’t make me a better skater nor does it make me happy so I try to actively avoid it and replace it with something better. Instead of going to the skate shop if I have no need or browsing online, I now rather try to read a book, do some stretching, draw or whatever else I find pleasure in.

It's the same as endlessly scrolling on Instagram, I find myself adding stuff I don't need to cart and keeping it there, that time could have been spent on more productive activities, like learning to play squash.

It's 2023, time to stop hoarding like its 2020!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

OhioGuy

« Reply #853 on: February 10, 2023, 02:29:15 AM »
“Anyway, I just wanted to say that you’re not alone in this and trying to focus on something else might be helpful. I’ve skated more and if I can’t skate but want to fill in the skating void in my life I’ve been watching videos more. Even trick tips and shit like that. I’ve realized that buying excess stuff doesn’t make me a better skater nor does it make me happy so I try to actively avoid it and replace it with something better. Instead of going to the skate shop if I have no need or browsing online, I now rather try to read a book, do some stretching, draw or whatever else I find pleasure in.”

I actually had this realization a few days ago. The thing that makes me happiest in skating is learning something new, even if it’s just getting better at riding switch. When I look back at my old footage it makes me smile cause I’ve come a long way. Buying tons of crap is probably holding me back cause I never get used to one set up. I think I’m going to just start riding stuff until it breaks or razor tails.

Edit: I messed up the quote, this is in reply to Roisto.

IpathCats

« Reply #854 on: February 10, 2023, 06:06:02 AM »
Expand Quote
I think the deciding factor will be how the board filps/feels in the air. and if the heavier plate really made the difference i thought it did.
[close]

I barley passed geometry in HS, so I know nothing about physics and the like, but somehow I think where the weight is distributed would make a bigger difference in flip tricks...which is to say that I think more weight on the edge of the board (e.g. wheels) would have a more substantive impact than weight in the center of the board (e.g. plates). Of course, this only (or does it?) only applies to rotation on the lengthwise axis (kickflips vs. shuvs/tre/etc.). Please report back. I am kind of fascinated by this one.

reporting back, first sesh on the 54mm and cast plates yesterday. most of my assumptions were accurate.

I prefer the way my board feels while in the air with this setup. I noticed i was catching my flip tricks much more confidently and there was an audible *slap* multiple times as the board met my foot. When doing 180s I could feel my board under my feet  better while in the air, and felt like i could manipulate it more easily.

The tradeoffs were mostly expected and centered around the wheel change mainly. i dont carry speed as well on the 54mm vs the 56mm classics, BUT i did actually notice a feeling of slightly faster acceleration. This might be due to my bearings just about hitting that perfect point after you clean them when they are at their fastest though.

The one objective con i was feeling was that I was having a harder time getting into harder tricks on higher ledges (back tail/smith). BUT this might be due to be switching from the dlx 8.3 twin to the dlx 8.38 which is a longer board with a longer WB. I know i shouldve only changed the wheels and baseplate combo at first but my last deck was beat and i already had this one gripped.

Going to put the forged/56mm on the 8.38 today and get an honest comparison.

I could def skate either of these setups fine, and i think the tradeoffs sort of cancel each other out.

Its literally a toss up at this point.

Pinch might be the deciding factor if I have just as hard of a time getting the forged setup up onto that taller ledge today.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #855 on: February 10, 2023, 12:18:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think the deciding factor will be how the board filps/feels in the air. and if the heavier plate really made the difference i thought it did.
[close]

I barley passed geometry in HS, so I know nothing about physics and the like, but somehow I think where the weight is distributed would make a bigger difference in flip tricks...which is to say that I think more weight on the edge of the board (e.g. wheels) would have a more substantive impact than weight in the center of the board (e.g. plates). Of course, this only (or does it?) only applies to rotation on the lengthwise axis (kickflips vs. shuvs/tre/etc.). Please report back. I am kind of fascinated by this one.
[close]

reporting back, first sesh on the 54mm and cast plates yesterday. most of my assumptions were accurate.

I prefer the way my board feels while in the air with this setup. I noticed i was catching my flip tricks much more confidently and there was an audible *slap* multiple times as the board met my foot. When doing 180s I could feel my board under my feet  better while in the air, and felt like i could manipulate it more easily.

The tradeoffs were mostly expected and centered around the wheel change mainly. i dont carry speed as well on the 54mm vs the 56mm classics, BUT i did actually notice a feeling of slightly faster acceleration. This might be due to my bearings just about hitting that perfect point after you clean them when they are at their fastest though.

The one objective con i was feeling was that I was having a harder time getting into harder tricks on higher ledges (back tail/smith). BUT this might be due to be switching from the dlx 8.3 twin to the dlx 8.38 which is a longer board with a longer WB. I know i shouldve only changed the wheels and baseplate combo at first but my last deck was beat and i already had this one gripped.

I could def skate either of these setups fine, and i think the tradeoffs sort of cancel each other out.

Pinch might be the deciding factor if I have just as hard of a time getting the forged setup up onto that taller ledge today.

Dude. You swapped out two new things at the same time?!? Holy Hell. Bold move.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #856 on: February 10, 2023, 04:41:59 PM »
Ya dude I've ridden both of those decks and the 8.38 DLX has better pop every time because having a nose helps me level things out nicer. I'd pretty much expect this summary. But frankly even 54 feels too tall and tippy for me on Indy's so I'll never ride that combo again probably.

53's tho...

IpathCats

« Reply #857 on: February 12, 2023, 05:10:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yea, not my smartest moment. Went back and forth on the two setups on the dlx 8.38. ended up chipping the FUCK out of the tail and cracking it shortly after..... Focused and went home haha.

OhioGuy

« Reply #858 on: February 12, 2023, 06:33:58 AM »
Okay, my madness has turned to wheels. Thinking about getting a digital caliper so I can measure them 😅

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #859 on: February 12, 2023, 07:13:52 AM »
Okay, my madness has turned to wheels. Thinking about getting a digital caliper so I can measure them 😅

Uhm…you shouldn’t be posting in this thread it you don’t already have calipers…

OhioGuy

« Reply #860 on: February 12, 2023, 07:15:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Uhm…you shouldn’t be posting in this thread it you don’t already have calipers…
Haha, I figured most of y’all already had them. Maybe there’s still hope for me 🥹

IpathCats

« Reply #861 on: February 12, 2023, 07:15:56 AM »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #862 on: February 12, 2023, 07:34:19 AM »
Definitely good to measure your wheels every now and then so that you can rotate them to wear them out evenly enough. Nothing mad about that. I’ve managed with an analogue one so far though.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #863 on: February 12, 2023, 07:40:51 AM »
help me for this madness..

I'm small ; 5,8 and do 8 feet size, and I don't have long legs. I skate a lot a lot of flat and some tricks that I used ten years ago, I can't do it anymore.

For spring, I want to buy myself a new board .. but so many doubts and questions:

Choice number 1: I stay with my current setup, That I often ride a lot, apart from my big gap period when I was in 8.125. which is an 8.0 board, with venture 5.2 high, 52 mm wheels, 31.5 in maximum length and wheelbase 14 (only on Ventures) Except that I replace the ventures raw with the V lights and hollow.

Choice number 2: Sometimes I think to myself that 8.0 is sometimes unstable and maybe I would have more confidence on the wider.. I would choose an 8.125, with the same, a length of 31.1 to 31.5, and thunder 147.. The wheels would not change (51/52), and I would also like to have a change in weight to help me with certain tricks.. The only thing that bothers me about the 147s and I have tried these trucks before is that they may be too light and spin too fast.. Tried them on 8.0, and sprained my ankle on a 360 flip that spun 540 with too fast pop.. That's why there is option 3:

Choice number 3: To be a little lower to help me on flats, because sometimes with Venture I have to jump very high, I would go for Thunder 148s with an 8.125 or even 8.25.. because many tell me wider board that helps to land better, without having a foot touching the ground, and that the choice in board is much more present.. The 148 are also a little higher than the 147 and much less a feeling of "tight trucks", I like the middle in tightness.. I would of course opt for a small board in length..

As I said, I do a lot of flats and sometimes small gaps, banks and a few manuals.. I very rarely grind and slide!

Maybe I overthink it, but this is madness as you can see haha ​​Thanks for your help..  :-*

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #864 on: February 12, 2023, 07:46:31 AM »

I'm small ; 5,8 and do 8 feet size, and I don't have long legs. I skate a lot a lot of flat and some tricks that I used ten years ago, I can't do it anymore.

For spring, I want to buy myself a new board .. but so many doubts and questions:

Choice number 1: I stay with my current setup, That I often ride a lot, apart from my big gap period when I was in 8.125. which is an 8.0 board, with venture 5.2 high, 52 mm wheels, 31.5 in maximum length and wheelbase 14 (only on Ventures) Except that I replace the ventures raw with the V lights and hollow.

Choice number 2: Sometimes I think to myself that 8.0 is sometimes unstable and maybe I would have more confidence on the wider.. I would choose an 8.125, with the same, a length of 31.1 to 31.5, and thunder 147.. The wheels would not change (51/52), and I would also like to have a change in weight to help me with certain tricks.. The only thing that bothers me about the 147s and I have tried these trucks before is that they may be too light and spin too fast.. Tried them on 8.0, and sprained my ankle on a 360 flip that spun 540 with too fast pop.. That's why there is option 3:

Choice number 3: To be a little lower to help me on flats, because sometimes with Venture I have to jump very high, I would go for Thunder 148s with an 8.125 or even 8.25.. because many tell me wider board that helps to land better, without having a foot touching the ground, and that the choice in board is much more present.. The 148 are also a little higher than the 147 and much less a feeling of "tight trucks", I like the middle in tightness.. I would of course opt for a small board in length..

As I said, I do a lot of flats and sometimes small gaps, banks and a few manuals.. I very rarely grind and slide!

Maybe I overthink it, but this is madness as you can see haha ​​Thanks for your help..  :-*

If you are posting in this thread, there is only one obvious answer: set-up all three options. Rotate between them ever 3-5 min, to assure that you never skate one long enough to establish sufficient muscle memory to become consistent at anything. Then, blame your shoes, and get three different sets of those, to exacerbate the problem.

In all seriousness, set-up something the middle ground. Take note of what you like/don't like about it, and adjust as needed.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #865 on: February 12, 2023, 07:51:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yea, not my smartest moment. Went back and forth on the two setups on the dlx 8.38. ended up chipping the FUCK out of the tail and cracking it shortly after..... Focused and went home haha.

For two things at once, I am surprised this session ended with only a focused board. I'd say you came out ahead.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 08:03:02 AM by Sedition »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #866 on: February 12, 2023, 08:13:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you are posting in this thread, there is only one obvious answer: set-up all three options. Rotate between them ever 3-5 min, to assure that you never skate one long enough to establish sufficient muscle memory to become consistent at anything. Then, blame your shoes, and get three different sets of those, to exacerbate the problem.

In all seriousness, set-up something the middle ground. Take note of what you like/don't like about it, and adjust as needed.

Lighter can help, lower helps me.
I’d just stay with what you have. Bigger wasn’t helpful to me, at all, as I’ve aged. Flip tricks on a wider heavier board make the session shorter, as the small tendons and muscles in my legs get tired.
The difference between 8 and 8.125 isn’t huge, do whatever there.
Tail length, and board length is more important to me.
My favorite trucks are ventures, 5.0 lo’s and 5.2 lo’s, then thunder 147s, then venture 5.2 HI’s.
Wheels 52 and below, 53 if I’m lying to myself, above that if I’ve completely lost my mind and want to make myself bummed.
As we get older, lighter setups can help, but it does mess with muscle memory.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #867 on: February 12, 2023, 08:28:52 AM »
As we get older, lighter setups can help, but it does mess with muscle memory.

Facts.

OhioGuy

« Reply #868 on: February 12, 2023, 01:06:22 PM »
Damn, got a caliper and measured all my wheels. And all of them are still the same size they were when purchased lol. Guess I should’ve expected that since I skate a couple times a week exclusively on smooth tennis courts and have five setups 🤦🏾‍♂️

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #869 on: February 12, 2023, 01:27:21 PM »
Damn, got a caliper and measured all my wheels. And all of them are still the same size they were when purchased lol. Guess I should’ve expected that since I skate a couple times a week exclusively on smooth tennis courts and have five setups 🤦🏾‍♂️

As some one who used to carry calipers in his skate bag...don't. It is a long winding road that leads who way too much overthinking and swapping out wheels way sooner than you actually need to. For whatever reason I never stress about small wheels getting too small and will skate 51s down to bearing condoms. But if I have something bigger, it is automatically, "oh these 60s are 58...time for new wheels!!"

Shit is insanity.