Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 87011 times)

rocklobster and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #960 on: February 25, 2023, 09:41:39 AM »
Retailers, like us, are severely overstocked post COVID, aside from some Indy's om impulse I haven't added to the stack of decks of wheels. It's still going to be a while before we reach am equilibria of us buying stuff and shops regularly moving inventory.

Spending less time adding shit to cart has helped. Upcoming tax season is going to hurt and the tax man doesn't take payments in decks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 58
« Reply #961 on: February 25, 2023, 01:07:06 PM »
I feel better having one setup. It’s only been a few days, but I’m already less anxious 😌

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #962 on: February 25, 2023, 01:30:12 PM »
I feel better having one setup. It’s only been a few days, but I’m already less anxious 😌

Just took a toddler to the local parking lot with 5 setups. And new shoes.
It was fun, but not exactly ‘relaxing’.
The range of the completes was really silly: 8.6 with classic ace 55s, to a 7.75 with 5.0 venture lo’s. Was t able to glean any info, far from scientific. First try kickflip on the board that is furthest from what would normally work, 14.75 wb and 9” axle trucks. Had to struggle with the 7.75, but got the best versions of the tricks I landed. Blah blah.
One setup better.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #963 on: February 25, 2023, 06:51:18 PM »
Skateboard madness, a circle in which you were better off where you started and wind up back there in the end.

I really should just ignore the madness

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #964 on: March 03, 2023, 07:09:21 PM »
A gigantic catalyst for my madness is watching footage of those folks I admire.
Currently, this week, it is Wade, and Jacopo.
Supremely kooky, but I’ll try and figure out setups and then come somewhat close to replicating them. Sorta. I usually ballpark it. Anyways, it’s weird. It’s like doing a search for: ‘best computer for hackers’. Embarrassing.

But if anyone wants to tell me what Jacopo rides that’d be chill.

OhioGuy

« Reply #965 on: March 03, 2023, 07:14:06 PM »
A gigantic catalyst for my madness is watching footage of those folks I admire.
Currently, this week, it is Wade, and Jacopo.
Supremely kooky, but I’ll try and figure out setups and then come somewhat close to replicating them. Sorta. I usually ballpark it. Anyways, it’s weird. It’s like doing a search for: ‘best computer for hackers’. Embarrassing.

But if anyone wants to tell me what Jacopo rides that’d be chill.
I get that. After seeing Leo’s part I had the urge to go back to a Toy Machine deck. But I’ve managed to stick to my one setup. As time passes, I have less of an urge to change it. At the end of the day it’s just a tool, and I need to focus on just getting better.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #966 on: March 03, 2023, 07:17:40 PM »
Damn these pro skaters for putting out banger video parts to get me interested in their products!!!

But same here, Leo's part got me hunting for a Toy Machine deck, but the 2 days later the feeling faded and I'm back to my stack.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #967 on: March 03, 2023, 07:22:47 PM »
Like most addictive things I’ve been around, some time interruption helps the ‘need’ fade.
I am pretty impressed/dismayed, at how malleable I am on this subject.
I think @Macho Taildrop mentioned something similar, somewhere, but as soon as I say: ‘14 wb or nothing’ or ‘i relate to 8s’ then I am for certain going to be back here, hat in hand, scuffing my shoe, unsure as ever, within s month or less.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 08:36:20 PM by Ok »

OhioGuy

« Reply #968 on: March 03, 2023, 07:48:18 PM »
Damn these pro skaters for putting out banger video parts to get me interested in their products!!!

But same here, Leo's part got me hunting for a Toy Machine deck, but the 2 days later the feeling faded and I'm back to my stack.
Yeah, screw them for doing their jobs so well lol😅

I’m tempted to cut out all skate media to kill the urge, but I enjoy watching new parts. Luckily the urge does go away if you can delay purchases.

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #969 on: March 04, 2023, 03:04:26 PM »
this is probably going to sound really strange, but for some reason I can only skate trucks with a raw/silver hanger or black hanger. The base plate doesn't matter to me though. if I'm skating something with a different color hanger I feel off my game. I know this is completely psychological, but it feels like it takes longer to land tricks. It's just kind of like a feeling that my board isn't set up right. It almost feels like I'm skating someone elses board, even if it's the same brand and size. Does this make any sense to anybody? Does anyone else have something so minor fuck with your head this much? I feel even more insane typing this,  nad you guys are going to think I'm a fucking lunatic but I need to know if it's just me.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #970 on: March 04, 2023, 05:04:57 PM »
merging this into hardware pet peeves thread

EDIT:

for some reason the hardware pet peeves thread won't show up anymore in search or can't be merged. since it has been dead for a while anyway, this will be the new one now and the thread will be left up.

@Daewons front truck would you be alright with this being a general hardware ocd thread and not have it truck specific? as mentioned we used to have a thread for irrational gear madness like this. it might be better to have one for all parts, as opposed to have several threads about each component.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 05:14:24 PM by Frank »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #972 on: March 04, 2023, 05:17:45 PM »
^

i thought this was about esoterics, like skating only certain colors, not really talking functionality. i feel like it's ok to have that be its own topic. imo it shouldn't be just about trucks tho.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #973 on: March 04, 2023, 05:48:34 PM »
^

i thought this was about esoterics, like skating only certain colors, not really talking functionality. i feel like it's ok to have that be its own topic. imo it shouldn't be just about trucks tho.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=122395.0

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #974 on: March 04, 2023, 06:42:07 PM »
Expand Quote
^

[close]

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=122395.0

thanks for the link! gonna try to merge the threads.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #975 on: March 05, 2023, 05:57:40 AM »
Like most addictive things I’ve been around, some time interruption helps the ‘need’ fade.
I am pretty impressed/dismayed, at how malleable I am on this subject.
I think @Macho Taildrop mentioned something similar, somewhere, but as soon as I say: ‘14 wb or nothing’ or ‘i relate to 8s’ then I am for certain going to be back here, hat in hand, scuffing my shoe, unsure as ever, within s month or less.

Yeah I'm banned from saying concrete things about my gear preferences. I have two pretty opposite setups, hoping it will contain shit but I doubt it.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #976 on: March 05, 2023, 12:00:34 PM »
Today I went skating with 2 extra sets of thunder hangers in my backpack.
On my board are titanium hangers with 52mm wheels.
The extras I brought are hollow hangers with 50mm wheels (Do I want a lower setup?) and standard hangers with 54mm wheels (Do I want a heavier/higher setup?)

Quickly tried all of them in 15 minutes and found out my current truck setup already feels the best. Best case scenario.
I've found that just really quickly trying stuff and making a decision calms the madness. Got it all over with and had a great session.

I feel pretty stupid about it, but I'm also happy. Trying stuff is fine, just never let it ruin your session/life

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #977 on: March 05, 2023, 12:28:08 PM »
if possible i will go out of my way to find bolts that have silver nuts to match baseplates.

after suffering from truck madness for a while, using different bushings and shit, i've went the other way in the last few years  to the point were i'm afraid to put anything but stock components in my trucks and am a little obsessed to keep them as og as possible.

i don't skate certain top ply colors, not necessarily out of superstition, i just dislike looking down on a red, blue or yellow ply framing my grip. whereas i love orange, brown, purple, teal, grey/black. i don't ever skate natural top ply decks. they make me think i ride a toy board.

for a while i ocd'd on using 3 bolts per truck. this was originally due to me losing 2 bolts. after i set up the next few boards with only 6 bolts, i couldn't or didn't want to go back. i had to completely lose my whole setup to have me buy a new set of bolts, only to keep doing the same thing and then keep the two unused bolts as spares. after a little hiatus i was doing skatestuff inventory and was trying to build up a setup from what i had and had put 4 bolts back in. since then i am back on full boltage.

i think one of my main problems is that once i settled into a useless pet peeve, it's very hard for me to let go of them because they provide me with a weird sense of comfort.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #978 on: March 05, 2023, 05:07:44 PM »
Had a great final session today (finally! weather) on my 8.38/5.8 setup. After skating a board to completion on 5.8s I can definitely say I skate better on Ventures vs. Indy.

Now I'm trying a 8.25 that's fuller in nose and tail than the three 8.38s I skated in a row. After setting it up and looking at it for awhile the 5.8s don't bother me aesthetically on the 8.25.

Really excited to skate it. Been getting really close to some new flip tricks. Hoping the smaller and new board will help!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #979 on: March 05, 2023, 08:22:44 PM »
What trucks would you guys pair with a shorter board with long wheelbase?

I usually stick to 8.25/8.35 x 32 x 14.25/14.38 with Ventures, got a LB Skate Co deck that is 8.38 x 31.6 x 14.25. Last time I rode a short deck with long wheelbase (short tail - 6.3" tail) but the fat nose got me interest to try it out.

What trucks would you pair with these dims? Rode Ace AF1 Lows a while back but too twitchy for my likings. Thinking Indy Mid Forged or Thunder 149 Team Hollows?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #980 on: March 05, 2023, 08:57:23 PM »

I usually stick to 8.25/8.35 x 32 x 14.25/14.38 with Ventures, got a LB Skate Co deck that is 8.38 x 31.6 x 14.25. Last time I rode a short deck with long wheelbase (short tail - 6.3" tail) but the fat nose got me interest to try it out.

What trucks would you pair with these dims? Rode Ace AF1 Lows a while back but too twitchy for my likings. Thinking Indy Mid Forged or Thunder 149 Team Hollows?

I really like ventures on short tails, thunders too. I already use more of a just the tip, foot position. Ball of the back foot, near the back edge of the tail.
One of my favorite shapes is the G053 Gass shape, from girl. 6.4+ tail. Always skated it on 149 teams.

Ever since I watched that damn Jacopo followed video, I’ve really wanted to set up some aces. I’m guessing he skates af-1 44s (shameless solicitation for information)… I’ll add that I have the totally unique experience of really enjoying the way aces turn, whilst having small pop, and landing even less tricks than usual. I’ll try and hold steady

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #981 on: March 05, 2023, 09:42:21 PM »

Clutch O shape?   I'm currently on it with Indy Ti, but last summer I rode the K shape (more tapered instead of full) on Thunder Ti and I think it was a better setup.  I had my highest ollie in decades on it.  I'd go Thunder.

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #982 on: March 08, 2023, 01:54:04 PM »
merging this into hardware pet peeves thread

EDIT:

for some reason the hardware pet peeves thread won't show up anymore in search or can't be merged. since it has been dead for a while anyway, this will be the new one now and the thread will be left up.

@Daewons front truck would you be alright with this being a general hardware ocd thread and not have it truck specific? as mentioned we used to have a thread for irrational gear madness like this. it might be better to have one for all parts, as opposed to have several threads about each component.

Sorry I'm late but yeah whatever works for you guys

Ayjerry

• Rep: 4
« Reply #983 on: March 08, 2023, 02:59:31 PM »
Am I crazy for wanting to buy a 2nd pair of the same trucks for a 2nd setup so that I can compare deck shapes/sizes/wheelbase and wheel sizes/duro, while skating mid sesh, without having to waste any time to swap trucks? Keep in mind  i am a beginner just getting back into skating, but have serious GAS with all my hobbies lol.

OhioGuy

« Reply #984 on: March 08, 2023, 03:02:36 PM »
Am I crazy for wanting to buy a 2nd pair of the same trucks for a 2nd setup so that I can compare deck shapes/sizes/wheelbase and wheel sizes/duro, while skating mid sesh, without having to waste any time to swap trucks? Keep in mind  i am a beginner just getting back into skating, but have serious GAS with all my hobbies lol.
Yes! Please don’t head down this path, it’ll only slow down your progression and cause you unnecessary stress. I’m not even joking. When I got into skateboarding I went WILD. And now I have enough gear to last me for the next three-four years. Just stick to one setup.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #985 on: March 08, 2023, 04:01:17 PM »

As a beginner, the only thing you're changing by switching up gear is how long it's gonna take you to progress. The more you switch, the slower you progress. Don't waste your time. Actually that's true for everybody and not just beginners.

But of course, that's only if you actually want to progress. If you mainly want to roll around and try different stuff, go for it.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #986 on: March 08, 2023, 04:07:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes! Please don’t head down this path, it’ll only slow down your progression and cause you unnecessary stress. I’m not even joking. When I got into skateboarding I went WILD. And now I have enough gear to last me for the next three-four years. Just stick to one setup.

I 100% agree with this, esp. if you are a beginner. I don't, in anyway, mean this to sound pejorative, but to really go deep into the differences of nuance-madness, you're best suited in having a decent foundation in basic skateboarding. For example, if you can't do a decent ollie, the different ways a 14.25 and 14.38 wb effect your ollie will be totally lost. Stick to one complete for now. Once, and only once, something wears out, try something slightly different, and keep notes about what you like/don't like about the change, and let that guide your following purchases. 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Ayjerry

• Rep: 4
« Reply #987 on: March 08, 2023, 05:07:20 PM »
The people have spoken! All good, I hear you. I bought (2) of the G021 decks on Vday with grip for $80, plus I have the habitat 8”. So I am set for a while, esp. at the rate I skate. Easier on the wallet too.

Edit: one piece of gear I do think I need tho is new shoes. The 2 pairs of Nike Chron 2s (super thin Vulc shoe, can feel everything under foot) I’m rocking have been used as my main daily and work (finish carpenter) shoes for 2-3 years. My feet and knees hurt after skating lately but I’m thinking the shoes were just blown out to begin with and it’s getting worse as I’m skating now. I do have a brand new pair of NB 306s that I scored for $35 shipped, that hurt my feet but maybe they just need to break in? I like the increase in stability and protection over my SBs.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 05:20:14 PM by Ayjerry »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #988 on: March 09, 2023, 05:49:39 AM »
The people have spoken! All good, I hear you. I bought (2) of the G021 decks on Vday with grip for $80, plus I have the habitat 8”. So I am set for a while, esp. at the rate I skate. Easier on the wallet too.

Edit: one piece of gear I do think I need tho is new shoes. The 2 pairs of Nike Chron 2s (super thin Vulc shoe, can feel everything under foot) I’m rocking have been used as my main daily and work (finish carpenter) shoes for 2-3 years. My feet and knees hurt after skating lately but I’m thinking the shoes were just blown out to begin with and it’s getting worse as I’m skating now. I do have a brand new pair of NB 306s that I scored for $35 shipped, that hurt my feet but maybe they just need to break in? I like the increase in stability and protection over my SBs.

I've not worn the 306, but the general consensus around any skate shoe is to wear them day-to-day for a little while in order to get them broken in and to get your feet accustomed to them.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

OhioGuy

« Reply #989 on: March 09, 2023, 07:05:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I 100% agree with this, esp. if you are a beginner. I don't, in anyway, mean this to sound pejorative, but to really go deep into the differences of nuance-madness, you're best suited in having a decent foundation in basic skateboarding. For example, if you can't do a decent ollie, the different ways a 14.25 and 14.38 wb effect your ollie will be totally lost. Stick to one complete for now. Once, and only once, something wears out, try something slightly different, and keep notes about what you like/don't like about the change, and let that guide your following purchases.
Oh, I agree. It doesn’t sound condescending. I was worried about stuff I had no business worrying about. And that’s my goal now. I’ll only try new things once something breaks. I’m also done putting gear on ice. Cause my tastes change so fast, I’ll buy something and when it comes time to use it I’m already over it. So now my motto is, “Buy it when you need it.”