Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 87105 times)

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 58
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1500 on: September 17, 2023, 08:57:14 AM »
my local usually is great at managing these things and has bin for donations.  I often keep board in my car and give them away when I see people.  I actually enjoy trying to piece together a set up from old parts and give away a set up.  I guess FB market place wouldn't be a bad idea, even just to sell it as bulk 'must take all' for pizza or something...
Oh I won’t try to sell anything lol. You can post free stuff on marketplace. And that sounds fun. I plan on giving away my setup with Ace 44s. I’m convinced they’re not good trucks for bigger folks. Gotta crank them way down and they still turn too much lol

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1501 on: September 17, 2023, 11:41:41 AM »
I've mentioned this before, but worth repeating...

If you have gear to get rid of, strongly consider making a donation to the Fresno Skateboard Salvage project. They do incredible work getting skateboards into the hands of underprivileged kids. I am not associated with them in anyway, but have sent lots of stuff there way over the years. Please give them a hard look.

https://www.fresnoskateboardsalvage.org/
https://www.instagram.com/fresnoskateboardsalvage/
https://www.facebook.com/fresnoskateboardsalvage

IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #1502 on: September 23, 2023, 09:24:08 AM »
I've given myself madness. Suddenly im skating Venture 5,8 V-Hollows. I kinda like it them, but not. I'd really like a more mellow setup that doesnt require as much force all the time.
Considering going back to indy, but I do find them too twitchy at center. Any way to make them more stable center?
Also consider buying a pair of Ace AF1 Hollows.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1503 on: September 23, 2023, 09:32:25 AM »
I've given myself madness. Suddenly im skating Venture 5,8 V-Hollows. I kinda like it them, but not. I'd really like a more mellow setup that doesnt require as much force all the time.
Considering going back to indy, but I do find them too twitchy at center. Any way to make them more stable center?

Re Indys, try harder after-market Indy bushings.

Re Ace, if you think Indy is too twitchy, you will HATE Ace trucks. Hard stop.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1504 on: September 23, 2023, 09:38:06 AM »
 Try cast Ventures. To be they feel less hefty for everything but Tre flips or shuvs. Or Thunders are still more stable on center IMO.

Vintagebody

« Reply #1505 on: September 23, 2023, 10:19:42 AM »
Try cast Ventures. To be they feel less hefty for everything but Tre flips or shuvs. Or Thunders are still more stable on center IMO.

I've been tempted to try Venture in a smaller size yeah. I usually skate 8.25-8.38, and Id like to try 8" Venture, as they have good kingpin clearance on those aswell? Unlike Thunder 147s which... is terrible.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1506 on: September 23, 2023, 01:18:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Re Indys, try harder after-market Indy bushings.

Re Ace, if you think Indy is too twitchy, you will HATE Ace trucks. Hard stop.

Interesting, I don't recall seeing people refer to Indys being twitchy on center before. They feel quite stable on center to me.

I second the harder after market bushings suggestions, but to go a step further: check if you want to run conical or barrel. Barrel is a stiffer center, but engages well once you lean. Conical is more surf and engages quicker, while being less stiff on center than barrel. Maybe the perceived twitchy-ness comes from conical bushings being used?

Personally, I like medium (90) to medium hard (92or 94) conical Indy aftermarket bushings to find an ideal middle point between surf loose and tic tac tight. I'm 190lbs at 5'10" so your preference for durometer will depend on your own stature @Vintagebody
Super Champion Fun Zone

Vintagebody

« Reply #1507 on: September 24, 2023, 04:05:39 AM »
Yeah, I'm 185-190 too, and stock Indy bushings are waaaaaay soft. Have to tighten them a good amount.
I mounted my forged indy's on the Real Mason Boxcar deck I have. Worked pretty good. I guess turny is the better term, rather then twitchy. I have both forged and std indy's, 144. All stock cylinder bushings. I'll try a harder bushings and see how it feels.

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1508 on: September 25, 2023, 11:43:38 AM »
Does cracked or teared bushings give you madness? Been on a bushing madness every since I switch to Indy from thunders, tried the bones hard but couldnt get my trucks lose enough without my nut falling off, bones medium too soft and exploded, now on bones hard on the bottom and bones medium on the top, seems to be okay but now I'm like dam would trying a harder Indy bushing be a better option instead? Some days I wished I never cared about this stuff lol

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1509 on: September 25, 2023, 11:50:54 AM »
Does cracked or teared bushings give you madness? Been on a bushing madness every since I switch to Indy from thunders, tried the bones hard but couldnt get my trucks lose enough without my nut falling off, bones medium too soft and exploded, now on bones hard on the bottom and bones medium on the top, seems to be okay but now I'm like dam would trying a harder Indy bushing be a better option instead? Some days I wished I never cared about this stuff lol

Bones Bushings, IMHO, suck. They only come on three duros, and 81a option is obtuse turboclown shit. So, they really only come in two functional duros (91a and 96a). They gap between 91a and 96a is huge, which makes it a real problem if you are really trying to fine tune your set-up. Moreover, they only come in conical shape, and are notorious for blowing out. Indy makes tons of duros, and all come in both barrel and conical shapes, and last way longer. Having options is a good thing, and Bones provides very little in that arena. Try aftermarket Indy or Thunder bushings, or Supercush. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1510 on: September 25, 2023, 12:19:21 PM »
The conical shape doesn't make them notorious for blowouts it is the different material (yellow for the mediums, black for the hard) that forms the sleeve and just the general materials used. Thunder and Indy conicals do not blow out nearly as fast or crumble the way that Bones do. My Thunder bushings split from the washer digging in, but with a flat washer they had zero issues whereas Bones are fucked no matter what you do.

Unfortunately Supercush seem to be vanishing from the internet. The Thunder replacements come in 90 and 94 and if the 94 are too hard for you try the stock bottom and 94 top. You will get a lot of lean but the hard top will assist in resisting wheelbite at the end of the turn.

MetalAnkleMan

« Reply #1511 on: September 25, 2023, 12:19:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bones Bushings, IMHO, suck. They only come on three duros, and 81a option is obtuse turboclown shit. So, they really only come in two functional duros (91a and 96a). They gap between 91a and 96a is huge, which makes it a real problem if you are really trying to fine tune your set-up. Moreover, they only come in conical shape, and are notorious for blowing out. Indy makes tons of duros, and all come in both barrel and conical shapes, and last way longer. Having options is a good thing, and Bones provides very little in that arena. Try aftermarket Indy or Thunder bushings, or Supercush.

I agree, thanks for your insight, what bushings you running man? Also if you dont mind whats your weight? I can confirm 6 ft 175lbs will implode bones mediums lol I ride medium tightness trucks

MetalAnkleMan

« Reply #1512 on: September 25, 2023, 12:21:52 PM »
The conical shape doesn't make them notorious for blowouts it is the different material (yellow for the mediums, black for the hard) that forms the sleeve and just the general materials used. Thunder and Indy conicals do not blow out nearly as fast or crumble the way that Bones do. My Thunder bushings split from the washer digging in, but with a flat washer they had zero issues whereas Bones are fucked no matter what you do.

Unfortunately Supercush seem to be vanishing from the internet. The Thunder replacements come in 90 and 94 and if the 94 are too hard for you try the stock bottom and 94 top. You will get a lot of lean but the hard top will assist in resisting wheelbite at the end of the turn.

Same to you man, what bushings are you running and whats your weight? Trying to see what other people are doing to use as a reference point to end this madness haha

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1513 on: September 25, 2023, 12:48:57 PM »
The conical shape doesn't make them notorious for blowouts...

I never implied shape had causal relation to blow outs. Rather, was just listing off problems with Bones. One of which is their blow outs, and another being limited shape options.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1514 on: September 25, 2023, 12:51:53 PM »
I agree, thanks for your insight, what bushings you running man? Also if you dont mind whats your weight? I can confirm 6 ft 175lbs will implode bones mediums lol I ride medium tightness trucks

I ride Indys with 92a (blue) barrels. 5'11'', and 170-175lbs.

MetalAnkleMan

« Reply #1515 on: September 25, 2023, 01:15:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I ride Indys with 92a (blue) barrels. 5'11'', and 170-175lbs.

Thanks man! Will look into those

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #1516 on: September 25, 2023, 03:21:41 PM »
Fuckin, picked up one of the last Darkroom decks at the skateshop. There's a couple more I might get as wall-hangers but I intend to skate this one. It's an 8.38.

I've jumped from 8" to 7.75 back to 8" then up to 8.75" and then to 8.38. I feel like at this point, none of this shit really matters. As long as I can balance on it and know where the pocket is and flip that shit, it's good enough for me.
Gear madness has been poison but fuck it, it is what it is at this point.

I'm gonna donate all my unused shit that I won't use as wallhangers. They got life left in them still.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #1517 on: September 25, 2023, 03:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed 100%. I've skated Indy, Ace, Royal, and to a lesser extent Venture. All of the stock bushings which come with these trucks have been great. I've blown out some Indy bushings after a year or two of regular riding, which I don't really think is a big deal.

The only exception is the dogshit red Indy "Soft" bushings. These are sub-Bones quality.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1518 on: September 25, 2023, 03:41:17 PM »
I had a PS stix 8" deck that just wasn't working for me on venture lows, so I bit the bullet on 5.2 v-light hi to get the forged plate and it felt incredible. But for some of my other decks I might try something else, the pivot cup squeak is gonna drive me insane lol, it sounds like my aunt's 1999 Eddie Bouer Explorer suspension.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1519 on: September 25, 2023, 04:21:29 PM »
I had a PS stix 8" deck that just wasn't working for me on venture lows, so I bit the bullet on 5.2 v-light hi to get the forged plate and it felt incredible. But for some of my other decks I might try something else, the pivot cup squeak is gonna drive me insane lol, it sounds like my aunt's 1999 Eddie Bouer Explorer suspension.

lots of solutions for this. soap. cum. bike grease. dish soap. motor oil. bar soap.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1520 on: September 25, 2023, 09:16:59 PM »
wax your nub....

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1521 on: September 25, 2023, 09:38:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same to you man, what bushings are you running and whats your weight? Trying to see what other people are doing to use as a reference point to end this madness haha

I run the stock bushings that come in Thunder or Venture. The only truck I really would switch bushings on are Indy Standards and I would run the blue 92a on those.

I have run Supercush 88A in Ventures and liked those and have only run Bones bushings once ever and wasn't super into them at the time.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1522 on: September 25, 2023, 10:04:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Along with everything else being said, more than anything, I think the main thing people forget is going very easy on bushings for the first few sessions / how ever long you skate them to just nicely wear them in, so then they will have way more chance of being decent for the life of your trucks.

That said, I don't know too many people who really get the most out of Bones bushings, except for the hard versions, which at first are almost impossible to turn on at all, but once they really break in they come out about a firm medium and skate a lot better.  Taking that time is sometimes not an option for some people, but I am also usually not interested in them because of the splitting of the softer part to the harder hub, which is almost always the cause of Bones bushings to be replaced on most setups I have seen with them on - some in a matter of minutes, yes minutes, from setting them up, but more often a few weeks to a month.

I use the Indy aftermarket bushings (usually 92 duro), which really do work so well for me and I don't have any issues with them, but I have had other people try to crank them down right from go and they blow out in the first session, so again, just ease into it with them, first session just roll around and get nice and comfortable before tightening them down, no matter what the duro / option you go with.

Even the Indy black hard or yellow super hard actually break in really well, even though at first they seem like there is no chance of a decent turn on them at all, they end up feeling about medium firm to me on Indy trucks with the nut flush, or at least these used ones from other people I have are like that.

If any bushing is too soft it will give you more trouble than it is worth, as more often it will split or cause wheelbite or be unstable on your setup until you either crank them down (and maybe split them) or get sick of them and need to put in new ones that are harder.

If any bushing is too hard that you can't get the nut on fully, try to wear them in or even use the harder bottom bushing and a softer top, which will give a little more stability and still keep things safe.  Don't want the nut falling off, the way I have seen some people skate.  I know you said you do this with your own, but it is worth noting for anyone.

Lastly, I have cut down the top bushing on many, many sets for myself and for others, so the bushings overall still do what they are supposed to do, stay at the same geometry with the bottom one holding the hanger in place, but having a single mm or two at most off the lower part of the top bushing, you can keep things more turny, but get the kingpin nut on cleanly and even have a bit more clearance in that regard too.

Sorry if that is a bit too much, but in doing this and fixing boards for a long, long time, I am familiar with all the ins and outs of bushings, what works, what doesn't work and even what you can do with bushings if you find they are too firm, such as wax all the contact surfaces of bushing and hanger, which make them way more turny, almost too turny for some, but it does work and makes harder bushings wear in really nicely if you want a more medium feel without having to cut or change anything much.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1523 on: September 25, 2023, 11:52:45 PM »
^ Yeah, when I worked at a shop, I constantly told people “bushings get stiffer as they break in, so don’t over tighten them at first.”

I also ride the 92a Indy bushings. I find that it takes me about 25 min of carving around to get the initial “broken-in” feel, and then they are absolutely perfect about a day later.

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #1524 on: September 26, 2023, 04:50:49 AM »
Bones bushings get way too much hype in my opinion. Stock bushings in Indys and Ventures cover most needs and last longer than Bones. And as Slappers above stated, if the orange stock Indys feel too soft (GIVE THEM TIME FIRST), the blue 92s are the bee's knees.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1525 on: September 26, 2023, 05:07:36 AM »
Bones bushings get way too much hype in my opinion. Stock bushings in Indys and Ventures cover most needs and last longer than Bones. And as Slappers above stated, if the orange stock Indys feel too soft (GIVE THEM TIME FIRST), the blue 92s are the bee's knees.

Just bought some conical 92s to throw in my cruiser so I can be surfing but stable while rolling around. If I like em enough may get an extra set for my main setup. Currently on 90 conical

I was a Bones bushings fanatic  (medium hard was my go to) when I was a teenager. Their gimmick (be it valid or placebo) was that the bushings were good to go right away. That appealed to me as a teenager because I was impatient and didn't wanna break in bushings for whatever trucks I skated. However, like Lakais that break in quick, they wear out quick so I do recall getting 50-70% of lifespan in them compared to my Indy bushings. I had quality at the cost of durability.

I tried them in Thunders, Royals, and maybe Silvers.  Not sure if I tried them in Indy once I committed to riding those full time since 2010. Anyone try Bones in Indy? I feel like they're too short in height and would fuck up the geo instead of compliment it.
Super Champion Fun Zone

OhioGuy

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1526 on: September 26, 2023, 05:51:01 AM »
Took my 8.27 setup with Indy 149s out this morning cause it was a little wet outside (just a mist). It’s crazy how much easier it is to maneuver than my 8.5 setup with Indy 159s and Radial Fulls. Still, I’ll take speed and stability over maneuverability.

As more time passes I’m starting to realize how insane it is to have multiple setups if you only skate 2-3 times a week.

Even if you skate daily. It’s best to say, “This is my skateboard. I’ll make it work.” It’s like choosing a partner, at some point you have to stop searching and pick someone’s who’s “good enough.”

Online dating is really bad right now cause everyone always thinks there’s a better person out there, so they become addicted to meeting new folks. It’s like that with madness too. There’s so much cheap gear out there, it’s easy to become addicted to finding the perfect setup that doesn’t exist.

Idk, rant over 🥲

rikki

« Reply #1527 on: September 26, 2023, 06:26:25 AM »

I tried them in Thunders, Royals, and maybe Silvers.  Not sure if I tried them in Indy once I committed to riding those full time since 2010. Anyone try Bones in Indy? I feel like they're too short in height and would fuck up the geo instead of compliment it.

I had Bones Mediums on my 159 Indys (pool setup), and yeah, for me too the thing was the nonexistant break-in time. Height was no problem and the turning was great, but eventually as I switched back to the stock Indy bushings I felt the real mojo of them. There's just something to properly broken-in Indy stock bushings that none other can achieve in my opinion. No wonder peeps like Chris Russell et al ride 'em.

rikki

« Reply #1528 on: September 26, 2023, 06:31:23 AM »
Took my 8.27 setup with Indy 149s out this morning cause it was a little wet outside (just a mist). It’s crazy how much easier it is to maneuver than my 8.5 setup with Indy 159s and Radial Fulls. Still, I’ll take speed and stability over maneuverability.

As more time passes I’m starting to realize how insane it is to have multiple setups if you only skate 2-3 times a week.

Even if you skate daily. It’s best to say, “This is my skateboard. I’ll make it work.” It’s like choosing a partner, at some point you have to stop searching and pick someone’s who’s “good enough.”

Online dating is really bad right now cause everyone always thinks there’s a better person out there, so they become addicted to meeting new folks. It’s like that with madness too. There’s so much cheap gear out there, it’s easy to become addicted to finding the perfect setup that doesn’t exist.

Idk, rant over 🥲

I hear you, I feel you. BUT the more the merrier, no? :D I don't think I can be properly monagamic, ever. At least I gotta have a specific setup for big transition that is obviously quite a bit different from what I ride when I want to hit curbs and flatground. I mean, yeah, if you're good enough, one setup can be enough, but I'm not Grant Taylor.

Having said that, I've also steered towards a one setup approach recently. If I'm not hitting something like near-vert transition, I tend to ride an 8.25 with 144 Indys or 5.6 Venture His pretty much everywhere. But still, that 8.125 in the corner keeps whispering in my ear when I plan to hit the techier street spots...

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1529 on: September 26, 2023, 08:15:10 AM »
Expand Quote

Idk, rant over 🥲
[close]

I hear you, I feel you. BUT the more the merrier, no? :D I don't think I can be properly monagamic, ever. At least I gotta have a specific setup for big transition that is obviously quite a bit different from what I ride when I want to hit curbs and flatground. I mean, yeah, if you're good enough, one setup can be enough, but I'm not Grant Taylor.

Having said that, I've also steered towards a one setup approach recently. If I'm not hitting something like near-vert transition, I tend to ride an 8.25 with 144 Indys or 5.6 Venture His pretty much everywhere. But still, that 8.125 in the corner keeps whispering in my ear when I plan to hit the techier street spots...

My .02 cents...

I think it also depends on why you have different set-ups. I have three. 8.25, 8.75, and a Black Label Street Thing. The 8.25 is my main ride. But, as I've said many times before, sometimes shit just feels better on a bigger board. Without question, I actually skate better on the 8.25, but at least for me, skating is not always about skating at my maximum potential 100% of the time. Sometimes I just like the better feeling of Smith grind on my 8.75. I really love Chicken Korma, but if I had to eat it every single meal of my life, I'd prolly grow sick of it. Sex is fun, but always doing in the same position wouldn't feel as good. Reasonable variety can make things better at times.