Author Topic: your last vacation  (Read 3173 times)

greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -25
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
your last vacation
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:31:18 AM »
so anyway, i'm about to go to charlotte for the weekend to visit a buddy and have a couple days of drunken debauchery.  this dude is fairly nuts in the head, so chilling with him is always unpredictable.  should be good. 

travelling is the shit, so anybody who took a recent trip and did some dope shit, feel free to tell about it.  i'd prefer that it not be skate-related unless it had interesting skate-happenings in it, not just "we went to this park, i did this and this, then we went here and skated this and blah blah this is so unentertaining"

i'll fill you all in on some stories if there end up being any.

but for now we can just call it the travelling appreciation thread.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
Re: your last vacation
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 08:36:20 AM »
Last vacation for me was Dallas in March so I could cure some homesick blues, although I haven'e been to my actual hometown, SA, in almost 4 years.

kevbo999

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 08:38:17 AM »
I went home for a few days after new years eve.  I believe that's the last time I got out of town.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 08:55:21 AM by The Skateboarder Formerly Known As Kev »

Jura

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 08:40:15 AM »
Miami in April, with the lady. Lots of drinking, sunning, eating and titties. Good times.

Miami is nice, so ill say it twice. Miami is nice. Miami is nice.
(Golden Girls reference)

hargo

• Rep: -50
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 09:38:36 AM »
last year i went with my wife to germany and we visited my family. they live in a small village near the city of Trier. Karl Marx is from there. We also traveled around the area, Brussels, Paris, Luxemburg. I skated some. It was pretty nuts because the world cup was on and Germans are insane about soccer.
“I just hate anything that can be defined as more spectacle than sport,” he said. “Just like any other athlete, it takes a certain skill to do our sport.”- shawn white

k-nutz

• Rep: 49
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:21:26 AM »
went to chicago in january, going to NYC on Aug 14th.

right now im on vacation: summer school break.  im at my parents house in pensacola, later today i think i will go to the beach.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 10:31:50 AM »
insane about soccer.

This applies to most of the world outside of the United States.

Meatwad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 11:04:09 AM »
Went camping near Piniwa Manitoba a couple weeks ago.It was really fun, did mushrooms at the old Piniwa dam it was really cool.
"'Slap' not only do we run things in the industry, we fucking kill people"

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 11:04:46 AM »
recent vacationing took me to boulder, CO  in the winter to visit my sister.  it was a good time to catch up and it was my first time experiencing winter (i.e. snow).  i crashed her apartment along with her boyfriend and my other sister plus her friend.  for the most part we just chilled and checked out the town.  at one point we went to the Coors brewery and sampling the free booze which left me shitting in the snow on the ride back.  the highlight of the trip was getting to snowboard which was surprisingly easy to pick up.  it felt rad to bomb hills super fast although bailing was something else.

this coming tuesday i'm heading out to laoag in the philippines to visit my clan and get in touch with my roots.

hargo

• Rep: -50
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 11:33:17 AM »
This applies to most of the world outside of the United States.

this is true, but when i was in Paris, you really wouldnt have been able to tell the world cup was going on like in Germany.
“I just hate anything that can be defined as more spectacle than sport,” he said. “Just like any other athlete, it takes a certain skill to do our sport.”- shawn white

yeah dude!

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 12:00:27 PM »
Mine was in Janurary. Went to Hawaii with my girlfriend. I'm not one for sitting in the sun all day but it was pretty rad. We could watch whales from the balcony at our hotel every morning and night.

chocolate pow!

• Rep: -3
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 12:04:20 PM »
germany last year for the world cup... Frankfurt, Kaiserlatern, Stuttgart, Berlin, and Munich...Berlin and Munich are amazing... free 1st class train rides, beer!, not sleeping,being at the us v italy game, new friends cool people form all over, being out enjoying the festivities and just being around good vibes

nyc in january... surprisingly okay weather, not cold at all...museums, food, going out...saw spring awakening which was recommend by a friend...first ever "musical" but high quality entertainment..good stuff

SF/Marin next week...girl is from there so just chilling...driving up so the board is in the trunk..might check out that wild in the streets thing on the 4th... SF is sick

diegomenendez

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »
Went to San Francisco for a week a few months back. Didn't really skate at all. Just smoked cigars, ate Dim Sung allllll fucking day, macked on the Asians, and walked around in the old forts/bunkers around the bridge area.

woody

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 01:07:25 PM »
Last summer around this time I went to Mexico City where my brother lives, (he works teaching GMAT test prep classes, which I guess is similar to the SAT but for grad school or something). I just roamed around the city mostly and ate some real good food, skated a little bit and on my brothers day off we took the bus to this smaller colonial town and than checked out some nearby caves.
let me just name a few of the hammers in this video...

TotallyAwesome

• Rep: -6
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
went to la about 2 weeks ago.  scored a wii while there - no places in ny have them so i was stoked on that.

drove past the van owen bump everyday.  was too cool to even get out of the car to skate it.  ok, not too cool, just lazy.  i don't even think i could ollie the gap at this point...total bummer.

went to val surf and was bummed on customer service. 

wait, this wasn't supposed to be about skating right?

oh yeah, went to the mets-dodgers game.  got bummed that the mets lost...

went down to the bro-c met up with a friend and went to a batting cage.  some girls softball team was there (these girls were monstrous) and they were kind of fanning out on my friend.  he put his hood up and pretended not to see them.  sometimes being almost semi-famous licks balls...

and pretty much didn't do too much else.  it was awesome.  i needed a vacation to kick back and chill...which is pretty much what happened...

toy machine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 01:44:47 PM »
went to hawaii honolulu with my family last summer, it was prety fun.

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »
last standout place was saltspring last summer, found a rope swing above a crystal clear drinking water lake that swung out 30 feet and had a 30 or 40 foot drop on it. but couple weeks ago i went to cowichan river and a month before it to kelowna, camping and bullshit. going to what the heck in anacortes in a month too
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

sergio

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 03:48:21 PM »
medellin colombia last summer for meniscus repair. stayed for 3 months.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 06:56:41 PM »
portland....i get next week off...i might go to such exotic places as port moody...or bowen island...

mikefork

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 07:12:40 PM »
my last "vacation" was a skate trip to northern vermont with friends earlier this month
if that doesn't count then back in february i went and stayed at my uncles in boulder. i skated the city and also denver, went to the mountains, had to be taken off of the mountains by ski partol because i was completely out of it, went to a benihannas, ate at a hotdog on a stick, and went to a few different shops
my next planned vacation is going to be in august, i am heading back out to denver for a week to skate/hang with some friends

john

• Rep: 8
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 07:41:37 PM »
your going to charlotte for a vacation? that sucks. who's your buddy?

Dog Paddle

• Rep: 1
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 10:11:39 PM »
Although I'm not going anywhere exotic, I will be in lovely Peoria, Illinois at the end of my week vacation from work.  YES!
First of all, I want to thank god for giving you all so much, and me so little...

damian

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
going to jamaica for a week at the end of july, should be nice.

Meth and Hookers

• Rep: 12
  • caveman?
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 10:34:48 PM »
drove to san francisco... didn't skate

last big trip wassss fuck i can't even remember.
nearly every time I see a possum it's in dead form.

koots

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 10:57:57 PM »
Last trip was at the end of February.
Just a week visiting the parents back at home. Pretty short trip but my employer paid for it.
 Did some snowboarding and cross country skiing. Drank a lot of beer in the hot tub.

Before that was a half skate/half sightseeing trip to Fukuoka Japan for 4 days. 
It was pretty rad, I met a bunch of skaters and checked out a concrete park. 
Went to a show and saw two really rad indie bands.  Met some chill people there. 
Last night I ended up befriending some salary men in a bar.  They ended up taking me
around the "entertainment" district all night and probably spent a couple grand on whiskey. 

Last year I went to Vietnam for a couple weeks.  I'd definitely like to go back there. 
Ho Chi Minh city was a trip.  I've been to Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur before but Ho Chi Minh
was on another level. People were so friendly there.   
 It's hard to describe but the roads at night are a sea of young dudes
on scooters with their girls on the back.  Everyone's cruising around in the craziest traffic with the
biggest smiles on their faces.  Walking around the city the traffic just looks like madness because it's so
chaotic.  When you want to cross the road you just walk into the middle of traffic and keep walking at a steady
pace...all the traffic will just weave around you.  Feels so sketchy at first. 
Some amazing history there (and incredibly sad history).  Saw a lot of the remnants of ancient sites which were
destroyed by bombing in the war.  Went to some amazing unspoiled beaches (without all the euro trash of Thailand)
and had an amazing experience doing a motorcycle tour of the countryside. 

I have 3 days off this week so I'm taking a quick little trip.  I'm either going to this beach town that's nestled up right next to the
border with North Korea or to a traditional village down south of where I'm at in Seoul.  Haven't decided yet. 

Next trip is during my summer vacation.  I'm going to spend 3 weeks in China.  The plan is to start in Shanghai and make my way
to Beijing, where I'm gonna hook up with a friend who is living there.  Shanghai for a couple days and then the plan is to do some hiking
in some mountains and hopefully catch some amazing sunrises.  I haven't decided if I'm going to make the journey out to Lhasa, Tibet yet.
I'd like to but the travel will eat a big chunk of my 3 weeks and I could only really spend 3 days there. 

After China, I have another two weeks vacation.  I'm gonna spend my time skating during this time.  Check out some different skate spots in Korea
and probably do a short trip with my girl. 

Beginning of October I have a week off for Korean Thanksgiving.  I was thinking about going to Okinawa via ferry.  However, it's at the tail end of typhoon season
and could be pretty sketchy to go there then.  So I was thinking either Tokyo or Sapporo but my buddy wants to go to Hong Kong.  We'll see...

Next winter, I'm planning to meet the parents in either Hong Kong or Singapore for New Years.  5 days there and then I'm gonna take off to somewhere else in S.E Asia for the other week of my winter vacation time. 

Next February my current contract will be up.  I'll have 6 months to take an epic trip.  I'm either going to go Asia-Russia-Europe-Canada or just head back to Canada and then go to South America for 6 months.   Tough decision.
Ok,

You must be new to the Skateboard game.  This is real industry talk.  "It's all about who you know".  And that's real.
  Beautiful

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 08:37:42 AM »
drove 600 kilometers up north to drink 210 liters of self made nasty booze called kilju with 50 other people. it was intense.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 09:24:35 AM »
Last trip was Vegas. Shit was fun  I was there for about five days.

Coming up this month I'll be in Hawaii for about week for my cousin's wedding. The beach should be fun and seeing family

skatemore,man

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 10:45:21 AM »
I went out to western massachusetts for a few days earlier in the month to celebrate the bday. Not much skating went down, although i did ride a long board down some crazy ass berkshire mountain roads. I also discovered the fun in riding a fixed gear bicycle after having eaten some acid, it was a really good time. Spending time in the mountains is always interesting, energy is abounding and so clean compared to the city. My friend peter and i got chased down some railroad tracks at 12am by some redneck railroad police. I ended up diving into a swamp and losing my bottle of knob creek, but we got away. It doesn't end, get chased on the streets, chased in the woods..... It was a great 5 day recreation... vacating was lax, alll about the re creation.

Diesel

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 05:19:02 PM »
went to chicago in january, going to NYC on Aug 14th.

right now im on vacation: summer school break.  im at my parents house in pensacola, later today i think i will go to the beach.

haha word im in pensacola right now so boring

vitunvesa

• Rep: 2
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 02:07:37 PM »
A tourist is someone who thinks about going home the moment they arrive, whereas a traveler might not come back at all - Paul Bowles

I went with my girl off to NYC just to check out the big apple

and a a friend of mine drove from utah there at the same time surprisingly...it was cool so I didn't had to hang out just with my giirl the whole time hehe
eat like a bird and drink like a whale