Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 405594 times)

Robert Baratheon (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #4290 on: April 27, 2024, 06:15:38 AM »
Just to clear something that’s been repeated. Opus is not Markovich’s Brand

https://shop-eat-surf.com/2024/03/skate-brand-opus-footwear-takes-big-first-step-in-launch/

Shtonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -349
« Reply #4291 on: April 27, 2024, 06:22:28 AM »
Yeah but sponsoring the fucker as part of your launch roster is only marginally less bad.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4292 on: April 27, 2024, 07:27:05 AM »
" I don’t know. Kids like older styles. What if dad’s got rad (stuff)?”"

See you later in the "Opus of being in business" thread.

Good on them for offering 60 to 75 dollar shoes tho.

BootsWithTheFerg

• Rep: -34
« Reply #4293 on: April 27, 2024, 09:19:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
those shoes look like half cabs and jerry hsu’s emerica pro model
[close]
this

some context for y'all
founders:
https://opusfootwear.com/pages/about

One of them designed the Herman G-Code shoe

team:
https://opusfootwear.com/pages/posse

supporting Swampy is great
supporting Markovich probably isn't
[close]

one of my primary criticisms of GH is his general lack of knowledge about skating history outside of what he's interested in, particularly before the 2000s. It allows him to unknowingly miss lots of things worth talking shit about in what he's covering, like lackluster artist and established kook Kris Markovich being sponsored by this brand. That's a whole 'nother 5 plus minutes of content right there!

By the way, I've argued on here about this before, so before you share your opinion that goes something along the lines of:

Expand Quote
Why are you guys acting like he's trying to be a skate history channel. He's simply a dude who's sick of the toxic positivity in skateboarding and wants to talk shit on current events in skateboarding. No more no less. I'm glad he's doing it and don't think 90s skateboarding is an important thing to consider when talking about nyjahs next crypto scam.
[close]

Expand Quote
It’s almost like he makes his videos how he wants to make them and not how other people would make them.  Mindblowing.
[close]

I'm not saying he should make any videos about anything other than what he already wants to make or plans on making a video about, I'm saying that considering he's by definition a person who hates on things in skating, he is leaving tons of content on the table by not being personally aware of skateboarding before his time and all the kooks from back then that he would probably be interested in covering, like Kris Markovich, Brian Patch, Neal Hendrix etc.

You have some solid points but most of that shit has already been done and covered. Regadless i think you miss the broader picture. All those stories from the past there was someone to uncover it. There was someone not unlike gifted hater getting to the bottom of it. Im not saying Gifted is the end all be all of skate journalism or even saying he's putting in all the work to get to the bottom of some of the shit he covers. Nor that one specific person exposed all the dirty details of the guys youve mentioned. But some of the "expose" shit he's done could very well be the same sort of shit your nostalgic for currently 20 years from now. There's a lot of valid criticism people have for gifted but I don't think not caring to cover the past is one of the them. There's been a plethora of people to document the nefarious actors of the past. In so many forms of media. Print. ITunes. Dvds attached to magazines. YouTube videos now.

20 years from now the Berra saga for example may end up dwarfing all those stories you mentioned in the grand scheme of things. I think it's fine he spends his energy on that.

I always held the notion that if it was the early 2000s gifted would be writing opinion pieces for skate mags. Every single one of them mags This place included when it was in print had dudes with ears to the crust piecing together all the ins and outs of these stories and letting it fly in a article or little blip in the front or back of the mag. They weren't always right and we're equally as edgelordy and hottaked wishy washy with their opinilns but you wouldn't be aware of most the dirt that went on in the past of it wasnt for dudes covering it as it happened. That's what gifted is doing i feel for better or worse.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • sup dog
« Reply #4294 on: April 30, 2024, 05:11:38 PM »
After reading the last four pages, I feel like going to the grocery store in Los Angeles to buy like fifteen Milky Way bars, because they have less infetterence there at the counter.

If I see any chaos energy YouTuber that should better understand his reach and power, I am just going to keep interrupting him by yawning loudly.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4295 on: April 30, 2024, 08:48:38 PM »
Meh, Markovich will be remembered long after GH. Say what you want about his sponsorship history, but he has never not ripped!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #4296 on: April 30, 2024, 08:55:16 PM »
Meh, Markovich will be remembered long after GH. Say what you want about his sponsorship history, but he has never not ripped!

Not by any means a Markovich the person fan, but truly one of the few non switch skating pros in history who still tore it up and gave us interesting/solid footage.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Shtonk

• Rep: -349
« Reply #4297 on: Today at 12:31:29 AM »
Judging by recent mentions of his name on here, Markovich is now mostly remembered for: his dumbfuck political views, getting cucked by Justin Roy, glueing an angle iron on a street spot.

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 46
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #4298 on: Today at 03:19:57 AM »
Until I joined Slap I had no idea Kris Markovich existed.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4299 on: Today at 05:01:18 AM »

I remember the 88 footwear ad

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #4300 on: Today at 06:23:59 AM »
Markovich in the 90s was on some shit, it's a shame he became or revealed he's a kook

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #4301 on: Today at 06:59:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember the 88 footwear ad

oh yeah... 88.. this uh... named for best year in skateboarding... everyone knows that

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1226
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4302 on: Today at 09:27:54 AM »
i remember kris from some old hurley promo dvd i had as a kid. it was kris at first and then some dude surfing. maybe someone knows what im referencing

smellymoron69

• Rep: -17
« Reply #4303 on: Today at 12:43:43 PM »
He was a big name. Featured pretty heavily in mags from what I remember. I remember he was in Tony Hawk's trick tip video from ~2000 as well.

You're probably just <30 years old.

Puddy Smally

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #4304 on: Today at 01:03:43 PM »
Again, to add more to Markovich’s skate credit, I always appreciated how fast he’d skate. Boy would haul ass.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 45
« Reply #4305 on: Today at 01:22:16 PM »
i didnt know john malkovich was a skater

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #4306 on: Today at 01:50:09 PM »
Markovich in the 90s was on some shit, it's a shame he became or revealed he's a kook

word... my homie who passed that got me into skating was always talking about his 1st element part...I wanted to skate like that in the 90s for sure!  But I feel you on the kook part, its probably why the saying goes "never meet your heroes" (for the most part). 

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 890
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #4307 on: Today at 02:52:01 PM »

His skateboarding connection earned him a role in Spike Jonze's film “Being Kris Markovich”. It also had Cameron Diaz.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4308 on: Today at 05:53:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

His skateboarding connection earned him a role in Spike Jonze's film “Being Kris Markovich”. It also had Cameron Diaz.

And Andy Roy as Dway/Colin Mmmmckay. They didn't have enough money for David Spade as McKay. He's the only old small guy in Hollywood who can still roll today.
So they just made Roy look left or right before delivery of each character.

It's fuckin fucked as he growled and grunted through all Dway lines and did The God Mrs. Ho for Colin McKay. With drunken fist stances and all
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Natas_Fauxas

• Rep: 95
« Reply #4309 on: Today at 05:57:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

"Theres something about Markovich" ?
🚨🚨ILLEGAL!!!! 👇👇👇🚨🚨

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4310 on: Today at 09:30:43 PM »
Look at this. I still got this one.

Y'all remember?
Plz stop killing each other