Author Topic: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie  (Read 29829 times)

OldSkater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -49
Re: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2021, 01:10:08 PM »
You mean to tell me that THIS guy made a bad movie about skateboarding?? Color me shocked.

this photo is amazing. i love it

Tyrone Slothrop

• Rep: 9
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2021, 02:58:25 PM »
Expand Quote
I saw the trailer and figured it to be all pretty camera movements, lighting and color and not much else.

On a somewhat related note, as a first year film student, I was snapped at by a senior screenwriting major for being close minded because I wouldn’t go see Mid 90’s because I claimed it would do nothing for me or show me anything new.
[close]

Well at least you’re self-aware that you’re a close-minded obnoxious freshman film student.   Read and watch everything you can.  You learn just as much, if not more from the failures than you do the successes.   Don’t be the person who turns your nose up at stuff, particularly at your age.  No one likes that guy, no one wants to collaborate with that guy, no one wants to hire that guy. 

Also, try and get a second major or at least a minor in a “real” subject like English literature or history.  Having a wide breadth of knowledge is more vital to your potential career than knowing the rule of thirds or whether you’re crossing the line.
. I try to watch a wide array of movies and give each a fair shake. I’ll watch Billy Madison one night and “serious” movie the next, and enjoy each for what they are. The idea of watching Mid 90’s just turned me off, man.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2021, 04:32:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Why are all skate movies about the come up? Seems like a movie about a drug addicted company owner who is an amazing skater, but terrible financial planner would be a more interesting story.

Imagine if the main character was a mixed of Jim Greco’s temperament, with Jamie Thomas’ demand of others, with Kareem Campbell’s inability to pay people on time or show up to things...you would have the greatest skate movie ever.
[close]

This. Imagine a movie about a lazy alcoholic pro skater being loved by the kids but actually being a miserable person. Skate version of hanckock. Much more realistic and much more interesting to see someone after all of the hollywood pro skater imagination. If skaters would love the storyline of street dreams theyd be so hyped to hear jagger eaton talk about his life and i doubt anyone of us wonders how that happened.

This sounds like a biopic about Antwuan Dixon

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2021, 04:48:27 PM »
Forced myself to watch the whole thing, but man this movie is just boring. Plot is as basic as can be and dialogue is mostly awful. All the character relationships are exaggerated (pros act super cool, dad doesn't approve sweater with shorts, friends get all pissy when you hang out with a girl, etc.) to the point where it feels like it should be either a comedy or a children's movie, but it doesn't want to be either of those.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2021, 07:22:36 PM »
It’s so bad. So, so bad. Second hand embarrassed for all involved. Holy shit it was so bad.

DaddyReynolds

• Rep: -1
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2021, 07:50:41 PM »
Alfredo is worse than Blodney. Welcome to cloutchaser the movie. This movie makes me want to stop skating

6000 sux

• Rep: 16
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2021, 08:20:51 PM »
vince vaughn was the only remotely likable or sympathetic character in the whole movie
pretty cool the mac miller lookin dude from euphoria skates though

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2021, 10:03:18 PM »
Anyone got a different link? The one posted gives me a privacy error.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2021, 10:11:37 PM »

So with all the actual good movies and tv shows that are out there, you want to waste an hour and half on this qualified disaster?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2021, 10:14:29 PM »
Gotta love the only linked review on its IMDb page is a review a high school junior did for his school paper and in his photo he’s wearing a “euphoria” branded zip up hoodie.   He liked it. 

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2021, 10:20:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So with all the actual good movies and tv shows that are out there, you want to waste an hour and half on this qualified disaster?

Out of all the things we could do in the world, we choose to post on a message-board on a daily basis. No one here can talk about wasting time.

Anyways, it's up on YouTube.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -766
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2021, 11:19:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Out of all the things we could do in the world, we choose to post on a message-board on a daily basis. No one here can talk about wasting time.

Anyways, it's up on YouTube.

Lol best take ever
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2021, 11:26:22 PM »
i have such a massive crush on gillian jacobs and seeing her in this fucking disaster made me legitimately sad. should we take up a collection for all these former hollywood types? this shit seems desperate as fuck, maybe the vince vaughns of the world need money

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2021, 11:27:34 PM »
i have such a massive crush on gillian jacobs and seeing her in this fucking disaster made me legitimately sad. should we take up a collection for all these former hollywood types? this shit seems desperate as fuck, maybe the vince vaughns of the world need money

Strange VV is in this.

He must be doing ok financially I would have thought.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2021, 12:06:32 AM »
never forget that mikey alfred paid for a cameo from tony hawk to get him to push this movie after all distributors said "nah, we good"

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: May 15, 2021, 12:48:17 AM »

That was truly something else. It must be watched to see how bad it actually is. I can't imagine the thoughts going in the distributors minds when they are watching this. I think the funniest bit to me is that they had Sam Muller & Atiba Jefferson on the same session. Atiba is just sitting there, and Sam is taking the photo of Ryder's character doing a trick down the 10 stair. This would never actually happen. Tyshawn skating the Baker Boys park was great.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2021, 04:42:59 AM »
https://soap2day.to/MczoyMDoiMTA2OTl8fDY4LjgwLjI1MC4xNzEiOw.html

"The first ever movie about becoming a pro skater."

Derrick Cabrera would like a word
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2021, 05:20:57 AM »

Is she?  She isn’t listed in the credits.   Just remember, actors want to act and they spend a large percentage of the year not acting, so they’ll take all sorts of jobs that some may consider beneath them.   Gotta keep up that SAG health insurance

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2021, 05:45:34 AM »

I’m a completely non violent person to the point where I won’t even harm a bug or spider. Having said that not exactly sure what I would do if given a free punch at this clown.

Kastel TM

• Rep: 2
« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2021, 06:09:11 AM »
Ngl the trailer seemed promising. Was not willing to spend the $19 for an e-viewing so waited till yesterday to hit the 4.99 rental on Apple TV. And wow for all the promotion and hype it was not by any means good. I went into not with high hopes but not expecting what we got.

I’ll say some nice things first. Great camera work, soundtrack, color grading. It does come off very professional, high production. Tyshawns Ss flip up the set at baker boys park.

But wtf is this plot, NOTHING HAPPENS. The entire time every scene is like two lines and 20 seconds and it just keeps jumping around from nothing to nothing. The main character probably calls his dad “pops” one thousand times no joke. Just fucking call him dad or just talk to him, we know he’s your fucking dad we get that. There is no ending, no point, no purpose. He skates, likes a girl, gets into a childish fight with his friends, tries to be cool, gets beat up, goes to church, and then cries over daddy issues and it’s over. For what. Someone help me out here, Mikey goes on and on about how it’s the first movie about going Pro, when he maybe gets on flow? Gets one box? Like what??? Miranda Cosgrove is punching the air right now thinking this is gonna reshape her acting career.
T 714/369.4920

[email protected]

SharkJohnson

• Rep: -92
  • i am a shark penis
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2021, 08:34:08 AM »
mikey alfreds favorite dorrito flavor must be un-cool ranch.......... score one for the shark man!

assvogel

• Rep: 210
« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2021, 09:51:22 AM »
I watched this today, hadn't seen the trailers or anything before hand, so went in with no expectations.

The plot centers around a kid named Mike, a young skateboarder/ex-church altar boy who aspires to become a professional one day and who has an awkward huge crush on Bobby Worrest (but let's be serious, who doesn't!). Unfortunately there's multiple obstacles between him and Bobby: Daddy issues, water polo practices, best friends, a potential girlfriend, college... So he must navigate through these troubles to win a trip to SF with Bobby.

The acting wasn't memorable, maybe Vince Vaughan as dad was above average. But if you take out the skateboarding backdrop and cameos, if you have seen any coming-of-age/young adult films, the story is entirely predictable without shocks or surprises. It wasn't offensively bad film, but you can go on Netflix and watch thousand similar movies. I'd compare this to Moxie! that Amy Poehler directed, which was in many ways comparable movie (on different subject matter) and it even shared an actor (Nico Hiraga) with this one. Just something you can waste hour and a half on before going to bed because you need something on the background when you are browsing Instagram.

Compared to other skatefilms... Cubes weren't cleamed and there wasn't much of Thrashin' either. I think Mid90's was a better film, but that one goes for that 90's nostalgia, so it has that going for it. But at least this was better than Grind or whatever.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2021, 10:05:11 AM »
Is it really about a guy with daddy issues who has a crush on Bobby Worrest? That’s stupid funny if true. Is that where the admiration comes from? Wild. But I guess it makes sense.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2021, 10:10:50 AM »
Is it really about a guy with daddy issues who has a crush on Bobby Worrest? That’s stupid funny if true. Is that where the admiration comes from? Wild. But I guess it makes sense.

He's gotta be joking. That can't be true

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2021, 10:46:28 AM »
Watched it last night, it was relatable gives me hope for the next release. It was like a debut novel. Now that they did this one to learn the craft I foresee good things. One poster made comparisons based on genre and I'm not sure those are really relevant it's the sensibility of the film that really carries it through this is not like any coming of age drama for me at least.

Lisa96

« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2021, 10:58:51 AM »
poor character development and structure. Downriver Dill scenes made me wince.

Lisa96

« Reply #176 on: May 15, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »
Sunny telling that kid not to pass the blunt to main character made me giggle i guess

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #177 on: May 15, 2021, 11:18:41 AM »
Yea that was bad

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2021, 11:45:53 AM »
Can you numb nuts stop watching this movie and supporting this idiot?  Ironic views/rentals don’t go in a different category than sincere ones. 

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2021, 12:11:23 PM »
I watched 15 minutes of it and almost threw up... Whoever says this isn't a bad movie must think Battlefield Earth is an academy award winner... My god...

if you think this is throw-up worthy then you haven't watched very many movies.