Author Topic: Austyn Gillette via Monster Children  (Read 6558 times)

creep3000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Austyn Gillette via Monster Children
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2021, 04:58:52 AM »
Austin get real job! Oh shit he got a job at globe. Never mind.

clicketyclack

• Rep: -5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Austyn Gillette via Monster Children2
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2021, 05:18:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Kinda off topic but gonna comment on something said in the interview:

Regarding first 540s done in Australia, I believe Chris Holland was the first to do them, not Gary Valentine.

Gary ripped for sure but I don't think he was the first. Johnny McGrath before them him too maybe? Maybe even Dom Kekich?

Old Australia heads out there able to chime in on that one?
[close]

Not to further derail, but I was looking at this page just yesterday:

https://www.slamskateboarding.com/item/4440-30-classic-covers-article

that (kinda) claims it was Danny Van.
[close]

Johnny McGrath landed one in September 1986 at the Melbourne Show Skate demos, that was undocumented video wise, but there are photos (not sequence). Supposedly He also did other ones. Danny Van made his sometime around 1988 (video footage of him landing it at StMarys exists). Dom Kekich hadn't had any early ones widely documented, but did them very regularly in 1989/90, so much so that most people in Melbourne saw him do them so you couldn't really question him doing them because he could do them in his sleep (he also landed 720s in 1989/90, possibly the second person to do them. And did them regularly). Chris Holland had a 540 printed somewhere around 1989/90, but at the time it wasn't considered to be the first one (but some say he did them before then). Gary Valentine did them in 1990, and had the sequence documented, and did them in competition. The difference between Garys and all others is he did them properly, and way better than anyone else listed. He also had them documented. Saying Gary Valentine doing them first is sort of true because maybe the only other person in that list that really did them properly and consistent was Dom Kekich. But he didnt have it documented. Most purists would say Johnny McGrath or Danny Van did them first, but lets be honest, they probably didnt resemble anything like Garys or even Doms. Other early ones were Tas Pappas and Vycharn Wicks.

Respek!!

McSqueeb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2021, 05:27:15 AM »
Glad I stoked some people out with that information. Memory might be a bit hazy with the years I mentioned, because I just remembered Gary Valentine doing 540s in his runs at the Ramp Riot 4 competition at Festival Hall in Melbourne in 1989 that was also on the Ramp Riot 4 TV show.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: Austyn Gillette via Monster Children2
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2021, 05:29:13 AM »
Kinda off topic but gonna comment on something said in the interview:

Regarding first 540s done in Australia, I believe Chris Holland was the first to do them, not Gary Valentine.

Gary ripped for sure but I don't think he was the first. Johnny McGrath before them him too maybe? Maybe even Dom Kekich?

Old Australia heads out there able to chime in on that one?

Dim Kekich was the first dude I can remember doing more hardcore big vert tricks, I’m sure he was one of the first down here doing 540s when he was young.

clicketyclack

• Rep: -5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2021, 05:31:42 AM »
Glad I stoked some people out with that information. Memory might be a bit hazy with the years I mentioned, because I just remembered Gary Valentine doing 540s in his runs at the Ramp Riot 4 competition at Festival Hall in Melbourne in 1989 that was also on the Ramp Riot 4 TV show.

That's what I remember too. I remember seeing a sequence of Chris Holland's a year or two before that along with photos of Johnny McGrath's and footage of Dom's before it too. Hence the original post.

Stoked on the knowledge drop. Cheers, man.

1stofthemonth

• Rep: -17
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2021, 07:25:51 AM »
globe shoes and 540's aside this is the worst "interview" I've read in a while.

Christ Puncher

• Rep: 39
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2021, 11:38:02 PM »

Hosted by Double Dare's own Gerry Sont.

I would skate a Najaf board if it was a nice shoe and my size.

Front Blunt

• Rep: -4
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2021, 07:42:31 AM »
Im hyped- i need new work/skate shoe hybrids. The Liaizon and Dover both look awesome.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2021, 08:19:24 AM »
he better be getting paid consultant money FUCK

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2021, 12:59:50 PM »
been seeing their ads in the mag over the last years I'd fuck w/ some simple all white hightops that aint Nike/ Cons (but I repeat myself)/ Adidas/NB
 Feel AG can pick whomever he wants and they must have somethin worth backin over there at globe , but they need stay away from hardgoods , Generator and PS stix got that covered
" I did not say this I am not here"