Author Topic: Yoga Sk8rs  (Read 3859 times)

Shuh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Yoga Sk8rs
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2022, 11:00:10 AM »
Me not yoga but more dynamic stretching stuff if you basically cant touch your toes with your back bent means you ass muscles is too weak to sustain any type of jump movement which leads to jumper knees.

Yoga/Dynamic Stretching(that focuses on hip and hamstring s) or even Knee over toes workout should help with that.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1087
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2022, 11:54:28 AM »
Steve "Yogi" Berra

Steve and Yogi Berra are both from the Hill in St. Louis, the Italian neighborhood. I always assume they’re distantly related.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1408
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2022, 03:01:30 PM »
Any suggestions for the bulkier of us? I just get mad demotivated when some reedy vixen is bending around two ways in some instructional while I'm struggling to get my fingertips halfway down my shins and my down dog feels more like somebody fell forward off the toilet seat

supported restorative yoga poses are great for where it sounds like you're at. There's this misconception that yoga is about mobility and flexibility, but nowhere in the yoga sutras does it say "yoga is about turning yourself into a pretzel and standing on your head." the whole beautiful people western yoga sales force makes ya thinking you've gotta be a beautiful demi-god/goddess in tight clothes... but really to do the physical piece, you've gotta realize that EVERYONE has a different body type and that folding forward is determined not just by core/hamstrings/hip flexors, but also the shape of your pelvis. some folks pelvis turns inward, others outward. those outward pelvis folks (most often women, but not all) can bend like no bodies business, that don't mean they're any better, stronger, or even flexible, but rather that they have a certain body type...

you want to get a strong and working forward fold? stand with your feet 2x wider than hips width apart, toes facing forward and angled slightly to the outside. Bend your knees halfway into a squat if you're able to do so. place your hands on your hips and keep your attention to your tail bone as you begin to fold/bend at the waist. keep the knees bend and tail bone back so that you're not leaning forward but rather folding at the waist. hold this pose and you'll feel the work
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2022, 03:19:23 PM »
I used to practice Ashtanga (power) yoga from 2006-2011.  focused on handstands mainly, between this and head stands, they were the best thing for neck and back pain.   Power yoga also builds a lot of wrist strength if you've fallen on them too much like me.    Now that I'm older I prefer shit like Tai Chi

Koja510

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2022, 05:23:36 PM »
Yoga is very chill and restorative after skating.  It helped me deal with some back pain and loosening up my hip flexors.  Probably saved me on a couple awkward slams too.

The problem for me was I got too loose and started feeling noodle-y.  Best to balance those static stretches with some power yoga or rudimentary weight training.  I used to use Ekhart yoga but their channel went in an odd direction.  I stick to the basics now and don’t really follow anyone unless I have something really specific bothering me.  It’s probably best to talk to someone professionally one on one every now and again.  I used to think my back pain came from tight hamstrings when it was really from my hips and threw things out of wack.  You can over stretch musics and do some weird stuff to your body.

Mobility training is pretty sick too and not really talked about

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2022, 03:44:24 AM »
Ive been practicing yoga for almost 20 years and I've owned a studio since 2014.  Theres no way I could skate at all if it wasn't for the prolonged benefits of a yoga practice.  AMA dudes!  I've been hoping forever one day @grimcity will come practice at my Baton Rouge studio.
do more yoga!

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2022, 06:03:29 AM »
I only do DDPY  ;D

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 168
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2022, 07:10:54 AM »
Ive been practicing yoga for almost 20 years and I've owned a studio since 2014.  Theres no way I could skate at all if it wasn't for the prolonged benefits of a yoga practice.  AMA dudes!  I've been hoping forever one day @grimcity will come practice at my Baton Rouge studio.

That’s awesome!  Is there a particular sequence or discipline of yoga you find most beneficial in relation to you skating?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2022, 08:08:43 AM »
shoutouts to Dhalsim from Street Fighter

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2022, 10:01:14 AM »
Yoga is very chill and restorative after skating.  It helped me deal with some back pain and loosening up my hip flexors.  Probably saved me on a couple awkward slams too.

The problem for me was I got too loose and started feeling noodle-y.  Best to balance those static stretches with some power yoga or rudimentary weight training.  I used to use Ekhart yoga but their channel went in an odd direction.  I stick to the basics now and don’t really follow anyone unless I have something really specific bothering me.  It’s probably best to talk to someone professionally one on one every now and again.  I used to think my back pain came from tight hamstrings when it was really from my hips and threw things out of wack.  You can over stretch musics and do some weird stuff to your body.

Mobility training is pretty sick too and not really talked about

The noodle-y bit is on point. Since I lift and skate, I practice very specific poses and stretches for the posterior chain (mostly for the lower back and hams) and hips, I don't do the 'those' poses like Warrior or whatever that are for the spiritual side of things.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 10:33:11 AM by Xen »

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 269
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2022, 01:40:21 PM »
I used to listen to Youth of Today and Shelter, so I'm prolliez a y0ga sk8r
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 176
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2022, 09:35:35 PM »
We have to stretch at work so I teach a 10min sun salutations routine that I added some stuff to. On the days that I end it with 10 minutes of yoga nidra are the best

but some guys be like...

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2022, 01:29:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Guessing a lot of y’all are doing some yoga to compliment your skating, or just happen to do yoga [and your life isn’t framed entirely around skating, good on you]

You watching any good instructors / videos etc that are easily accessible?

Usually roll with Yoga with Adriene (https://youtube.com/c/yogawithadriene) but open to broadening horizons, need to get back into a more regular practice again
[close]

Started 3 years ago as a "let's see what it does for you" and been into it ever since.

I cannot stand Adrienne tho, I usually exercise with Kassandra (https://www.youtube.com/c/yogawithkassandra) that has even 5/10 minutes morning videos to get the juices flowing even if you're in a rush.

I can fell you - sorry I am an old dirty man.

lurker_and_poster

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2022, 01:48:34 AM »
have done some kind of material art since ever...
as a kid Judo, later mostly classic Boxing, Wing Tsun, Muay Thai, also some BJJ classes. 
Never really serious / competion or whatever just for balancing and not only skating
I do once week some cycling, swimming and Material arts.

friends always invite me to Yoga classes - but I never took the time.. because I had already a full schedule.
After being longer injured and not able to to Material art / Skating I visit Yoga class for the first time and I was
surpriced that this was very similar to what we do in Material art classes for warm up and after workout.
So i realize I do Yoga since forever just with a different attitude.

Today I call my skateboarding Yoga, go to the local park in the early morning or late evening, do some streching before i start. First 20min its just cruising and fluid movements and turns, like frontside 5.0 every spot, the backside 5.o every spot,  then frontside ollie any transition, then frontside rock any transition. After 20min basics I work 20min on lines combined 2-3 basic tricks with some little more difficult tricks I already have done. Last 40min I focus to try something new - new line / new trick.
I usally do it for my general well-being and relaxation, and it has a positive effect on stress-related symptoms.
So I can call my self a SkateYogi

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 779
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2022, 04:34:10 AM »
yesterday and today morning were my first times trying yoga in a long while after a pretty painful session (i was trying to backside flip a 7 in last resorts with stock insoles, ikik dumb as fuck but whatever, can't go back in time and put some different shoes on). i tried the poses from that one jenkem article, shit really helped with leg pain, especially in the morning, when i woke up i was sore as fuck but after a 10-15 minute session i started feeling a lot better. i really need to get into that yoga routine.

anybody got any recommendations for fairly easy yoga poses that help with back pain? i'm not stretched out enough as of now to do most of the more complicated stuff, i had trouble with some of the poses from the jenkem article too. i'm going back for that backside flip today (with different shoes though) because my filmer homie is going on holiday on monday and the spot is pretty much unskateable on the weekends due to a lot of people walking there and my back is still hurting so i'm probably going to be destroyed tomorrow if i don't stretch after the session.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2022, 08:12:05 AM »
yesterday and today morning were my first times trying yoga in a long while after a pretty painful session (i was trying to backside flip a 7 in last resorts with stock insoles, ikik dumb as fuck but whatever, can't go back in time and put some different shoes on). i tried the poses from that one jenkem article, shit really helped with leg pain, especially in the morning, when i woke up i was sore as fuck but after a 10-15 minute session i started feeling a lot better. i really need to get into that yoga routine.

anybody got any recommendations for fairly easy yoga poses that help with back pain? i'm not stretched out enough as of now to do most of the more complicated stuff, i had trouble with some of the poses from the jenkem article too. i'm going back for that backside flip today (with different shoes though) because my filmer homie is going on holiday on monday and the spot is pretty much unskateable on the weekends due to a lot of people walking there and my back is still hurting so i'm probably going to be destroyed tomorrow if i don't stretch after the session.

Just do basic folds b2b mountain poses
Cat -Cow if your knees hurt
if you really want to strengthen it then do some 3sec bridges sets.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 269
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2022, 08:23:54 AM »

I can tell you that I lay backwards on a medicine ball and basically do situps at 3 angles (kinda leaning to the left, center and kinda leaning to the right) to stretch out ye olde lower back and it helps a lot.
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2022, 12:36:05 PM »
as a kid Judo, later mostly classic Boxing, Wing Tsun, Muay Thai, also some BJJ classes. 
Never really serious / competion or whatever just for balancing and not only skating

friends always invite me to Yoga classes - but I never took the time.. because I had already a full schedule.
After being longer injured and not able to to Material art / Skating I visit Yoga class for the first time and I was
surpriced that this was very similar to what we do in Material art classes for warm up and after workout.

Today I call my skateboarding Yoga, go to the local park in the early morning or late evening, do some streching before i start. First 20min its just cruising and fluid movements and turns, like frontside 5.0 every spot, the backside 5.o every spot,  then frontside ollie any transition, then frontside rock any transition. After 20min basics I work 20min on lines combined 2-3 basic tricks with some little more difficult tricks I already have done. Last 40min I focus to try something new - new line / new trick.
I usally do it for my general well-being and relaxation, and it has a positive effect on stress-related symptoms.

Bro, much respect for all the exercises you do! At my most extreme I am similar to you so let me tell you: Don‘t forget to have some fun and at least some days ditch that strict routine and just do whatever you feel like on your board! Skating is supposed to be got fun and it should be contrary to all that exercise and discipline stuff!
 Don‘t forget to treat your soul, my friend!

Namaste!

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -487
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2022, 01:02:05 AM »
Expand Quote
this guys a yoga instructor and does cum art. i guess he just bust loads into acrylic and paints with it

[close]
How could somebody who's name is sack wanger not do cum art

It’s crazy how vividly I remember watching this part on my couch after school in like 10th grade. That being said he does frontside flips wrong so of course he paints with his own jizz.

Yoga though is sick I wish I had the patience to get into it and meditation but I can’t clear my head at all. Anxiety and hatred are basically how I get shit done.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

lurker_and_poster

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2022, 06:37:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bro, much respect for all the exercises you do! At my most extreme I am similar to you so let me tell you: Don‘t forget to have some fun and at least some days ditch that strict routine and just do whatever you feel like on your board! Skating is supposed to be got fun and it should be contrary to all that exercise and discipline stuff!
 Don‘t forget to treat your soul, my friend!

Namaste!

No worries - I keep it pretty low key and relaxed.
Swimming and cycling is pure fun, and the way I skate - means that I didn’t slam / bail the first 40min… just Cruise and have fun - and then I play arround - which is fun too - schedule sounds tough - but I keep it very relaxt - even boxing - for sure it’s 90min class and I am finished after - but I am doing very easy light handed sparring with a 50 years old friends. The main time it’s warm up and stretching.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2022, 07:41:56 AM »
I used to listen to Youth of Today and Shelter, so I'm prolliez a y0ga sk8r

ragunath does a crazy inversion yoga class if anyone in this thread gets a chance to go

warrior pose is good for ur core, back, thighs hamstrings. nothing “spiritual” about it

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2023, 04:54:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Guessing a lot of y’all are doing some yoga to compliment your skating, or just happen to do yoga [and your life isn’t framed entirely around skating, good on you]

You watching any good instructors / videos etc that are easily accessible?

Usually roll with Yoga with Adriene (https://youtube.com/c/yogawithadriene) but open to broadening horizons, need to get back into a more regular practice again
[close]

Started 3 years ago as a "let's see what it does for you" and been into it ever since.

I cannot stand Adrienne tho, I usually exercise with Kassandra (https://www.youtube.com/c/yogawithkassandra) that has even 5/10 minutes morning videos to get the juices flowing even if you're in a rush.

I dug through this thread yesterday and today I did the morning exercise with Kassandra and it felt really good

Trying to make it a morning routine let's see how it goes

Puddy Smally

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2023, 05:33:29 AM »
I lived beside a Bikram spot on Colfax years ago, and every week or 2 I'd try it again, but I'm no way was it enjoyable at all. Not comfortable at all, and the smell too

Go on…
Do you get deja vu, huh?