Author Topic: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)  (Read 41895 times)

Amocat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)
« Reply #360 on: April 22, 2024, 12:38:11 PM »
Picked up a set of the 8.75 hollows and have probably skated 7 or 8 hours on them over the weekend pretty much all mini ramp. The TL:DR would be that I like them and will continue to skate them.

For those more into details here we go.

Wheel bite/bushing/washer, I’m 210 and stock bushings did not wheel bite while putting full weight on heel side or toe side. I did have the same washer digging into the bushing issue others have mentioned, I swapped out to a mini logo top washer, they are a bit flatter but still slightly cupped. These did not dig in but there was a bit of the bushing that would slip out so I had to go to a harder bushing. Mini logo bushings are a very close match to the stock ones but I ended up taking my Indy bushings and sticking them in. I was on 144 standard Indy with the yellow 96 bushings with the nut just flush on the kingpin, I had to go to 1 thread showing on the slappy to have it feel about the same. Probably from the jump from 8.25 to 8.75 maybe. Wheels for messing with the bushings were 53mm F4 classics and 56mm nano cubics on 8.5 crail twin.

Grind, it felt like the slappy were going fine on the coping pretty early in the day, I swear it took a few days on the Indy to feel the same, could have been skill issue as I had just gotten back to skating with the Indy though. Either way these are so far comparable to the Indys, I can’t say better yet but definitely not worse on mini. I did grind a few of the ledges, they are that American ramp company style that’s just two flat pieces that meet, definitely felt better on those.

Pop, it is possible that the jump from the 8.25 to 8.75 has more to do than switching trucks but just an Ollie felt slightly better with the Slappy, also possible a just spent 60$ placebo effect.

Turn, once I had the Indy bushings on and correct tightness I honestly couldn’t tell a huge difference in the actual turn other than perhaps smoother.

Look, I was a bit worried changing to a different truck would look weird to me when looking at my board, but these look like they belong on my board. This may be ridiculous but I know there are others that have these thoughts too.

Pivot cup was lubed so no squeaky squeaky

Also the logo being sharp enough to cut you is real.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #361 on: April 22, 2024, 04:24:36 PM »
^^ are they the new forged hollows? Sinclair mentioned updating the washers eventually, curious if that made it into this revision or not.

Amocat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #362 on: April 22, 2024, 05:00:28 PM »
I don’t think they are newer stock, sounded like these had been sitting for quite some time from the shop guy.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #363 on: April 26, 2024, 07:50:57 PM »
Got my slappy lights. They are, indeed, lighter!

Looks like the baseplate also has the shaft nut like the rest.

I'm having issues with the stock setup (which I did not have with the IKP hollow 8.75s I've got) as I cannot seem to tighten them down enough to get them as tight as I would want (so much so that I thought I was digging the pin into the deck but wasn't); I think either the top bushing is too low or there is not enough thread on the pin itself to actually get tight. It feels I'm bottoming out the pin into the nut as I physically cannot tighten them anymore.

I swapped out for some 96a indys and was able to A) get them tighter and B) not get to the point where they were feeling like they were bottoming out..but now I'm concerned how much pin I have engaged since I can't see the threads.

Two other issues:

I had already started to shred the top bushings after a ONE 1HR session....lame AF. You can see the dig/bulge on the left and the straggle piece on the right:

One of the trucks is waaaaaaaay harder to tighten down than the other it's not stripped but it sort of feels like that feeling; maybe one of the pins or plates isn't machined up to par.

But, as it is, with the indy bushings in, they turn/feel great, grind amazing and most excellent pop feel....gonna take them off just for OCDs sake to make sure they're at least nut flush.

Edit: working through the issues with them, they're being super helpful - excellent CS. I took the trucks off and I'm nut flush now (I was a bit more than nut flush with the stocks, like 3 threads or so) so I'm guessing it's just that I want them tighter than the stock bushings allow given how soft they are and how low that top bushing is.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 08:43:52 PM by Xen »