Author Topic: bikes  (Read 307818 times)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Re: bikes
« Reply #1050 on: November 01, 2018, 03:00:49 PM »
There is no reason to buy dura-ace ever, anymore.  But scope some shops in england.  There was one selling components cheaper than our shop could get them, with free shipping too. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

planman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1051 on: November 01, 2018, 06:47:36 PM »
There is no reason to buy dura-ace ever, anymore.  But scope some shops in england.  There was one selling components cheaper than our shop could get them, with free shipping too. 
This unless it's used. Ultegra is literally what Dura Ace was a few years ago and 105 is what Ultegra was a few years ago.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #1052 on: November 02, 2018, 11:43:48 AM »
Expand Quote

I've been planning / saving $$ for a couple years now to ride a big loop around the U.S. (west coast north --> south, southern states to east coast, east coast south --> north, and northern states / canada back to west coast) and I'm finally leaving in January. I've been doing some training rides / weekend camping with all the gear loaded on the bike the last couple months. I'm riding an early 1980s Cannondale touring bike that I got for 200$ on Craigslist, it's really solid and I definitely spent more on bags / backpacking gear than the bike (I'll be camping and not doing hotels almost 100% of the time.) I think I'm just going to get a board out on the east coast so I can skate all the cities I've always wanted to
[close]

This is so sick. I'm currently planning a cross-country bike trip for next year, around May. The route is going to be LA to NY, I'm just not sure which side of the country I am going to start on (I live in LA so it may be nice to end here and just go home). Do you know how long that route will take you? I'm planning about 7 weeks to go straight across. Also wondering if you're concerned in starting the middle of winter? That's my main reason for starting in the Spring.

And as someone else said, I hope you document this online (if not, post up your IG if you comfortable).

That's awesome man. I've done trips where I've ended at home and it's a great feeling, but this time I'll be leaving from home and it's exciting in a different way. I think the route will take about 6 months, obviously quitting my jobs and moving all my stuff into my parents house. We have a bunch of potential detours and things we want to do that could make the trip even longer. The middle of the winter thing is actually essential because we will be riding through the southern states in feb/march and hitting Florida by spring, and riding through the south during those months is actually the best time to do it weather-wise and will set us up nicely for the rest of the country.

We are going to document the trip, we will have a blog on crazyguyonabike which is a really popular journal-type blog site for bike travel. I'll also be instagramming for sure, ill link both of those up when I leave for anyone interested. A really cool thing about travelling on bike is it takes you into really cutty areas and you find a lot of spots, I'll also make a thread in the travel section on Slap with photos/locations of cool spots  :)

Beedaweeda, I will be doing GPS and uploading data. Basically I'll bring 2 padded bike shorts and rotate them daily, and mostly bring just 2 changes of clothes total with extra socks and boxers.

Edit: I should mention when I say "we" I mean my girlfriend and I. We've been together a long time and done multi-week trips before so there shouldn't be any problems there, and she's a total badass, but I am slightly worried about a few aspects of having a girl with me, particularly in the south.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:49:42 AM by offkilter »

Fredonskateboard

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1053 on: November 02, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
Here's my Koga Miyata Full Pro from 1980.
Its not 100% stock. "Only" the shifters, brakes and front derailleur and wheels are stock.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1495
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1054 on: November 03, 2018, 02:25:15 AM »
My wife and I were just getting into bikejoring and were doing it on two trekking bikes and not MTBs (we were in the process of buying one) and as (bad) luck would have it, our staffy took a sudden 90° turn while we were travelling at a leasurly pace, but it was enough for my wife to break her fall with full force on her leg, breaking both her leg bones at the knee joint. Ruptured ACL is suspected, but the doctor could not check for it, becuase of the massive pain (and there a quite a waiting period for MRI).

Needless to say, bikejoring is one more sports activity with our dog that we have to write-off for the future and it sucks. Our staffy absolutely loved it. Anyway, stay safe on your bikes - I get a reality check every once in a while when commuting to work (5 miles to and from every day), but no injuries so far.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #1055 on: January 06, 2019, 09:21:26 PM »
Brodie fixed gear.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:23:15 PM by Christopher Lambe »

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1056 on: January 07, 2019, 05:26:53 AM »
very nice!
anybody know of good mid level fixed gear brands in Canada? $500-1000 . I was trying to get a Fuji track, but Fuji parent company is going through a bankruptcy. I just want something to commute and possibly bring it to the velodrome one day.

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1057 on: January 07, 2019, 06:22:06 AM »
very nice!
anybody know of good mid level fixed gear brands in Canada? $500-1000 . I was trying to get a Fuji track, but Fuji parent company is going through a bankruptcy. I just want something to commute and possibly bring it to the velodrome one day.

If you’re not deadset on something new, Check your local Craigslist(big cities are best) for a used road bike. There’s plenty of tutorials online to show how to switch the gears to fixed. You’ll end up with spending a fraction of the price on a nicer frame and a custom bike.

People buy crazy expensive road bikes then ride them once and sell them. A month ago I picked up a barely ridden 2016 steel frame bontrager bike for 200. The tires still had the little fuzzy things on the main ridge, double water bottle holder, emergency hand pump attachment, rear flat basket and a really nice seat all from REI.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #1058 on: January 07, 2019, 07:57:46 AM »
very nice!
I've been wanting to buy this. Broke at the moment though.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/steamroller

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1059 on: January 07, 2019, 08:13:46 AM »
Liking my first real mountain bike - Trek Marlin 5. Tons of good trails where I live.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1060 on: January 07, 2019, 09:13:23 AM »
Expand Quote
very nice!
[close]

thank you, i had heard about this surley brand, but only verbally and I forgot the name, or how to think to spell it in my head.
I look in craigslist and kijiji a lot, but I never see anything that appeals to me. I assume everyone rides their shit as hard as I do, and forgot how many people buy bikes with good intentions bu never actually use it.
that trek is pretty.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2542
« Reply #1061 on: January 07, 2019, 10:22:18 AM »
I was gonna suggest a Kona Paddy Wagon. I don't have one, but they're relatively cheap and Kona is a solid company.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #1062 on: January 07, 2019, 02:19:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
very nice!
[close]

[close]
thank you, i had heard about this surley brand, but only verbally and I forgot the name, or how to think to spell it in my head.
I look in craigslist and kijiji a lot, but I never see anything that appeals to me. I assume everyone rides their shit as hard as I do, and forgot how many people buy bikes with good intentions bu never actually use it.
that trek is pretty.
My Cramerotti when I was a bike courier in Calgary.
2001 ish. Photo by Jeff Thorburn.

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #1063 on: January 07, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »

I've been planning / saving $$ for a couple years now to ride a big loop around the U.S. (west coast north --> south, southern states to east coast, east coast south --> north, and northern states / canada back to west coast) and I'm finally leaving in January. I've been doing some training rides / weekend camping with all the gear loaded on the bike the last couple months. I'm riding an early 1980s Cannondale touring bike that I got for 200$ on Craigslist, it's really solid and I definitely spent more on bags / backpacking gear than the bike (I'll be camping and not doing hotels almost 100% of the time.) I think I'm just going to get a board out on the east coast so I can skate all the cities I've always wanted to
I've done a tour with exbf from Bellingham Washington to Santa Barbara and I have to say biking on West coast is easier to deal with. The east coast however isn't bad but it's the humidity and swampass that got to me. Highly recommend a fancy saddle and bicyclist have this stuff called body butter for chaffage and saddle sores. I'm not implying anything about personal hygiene. Those things helped me out during my trips.
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #1064 on: February 26, 2019, 03:04:28 AM »
I will be replacing the tires on my commuter hybrid bike and I want something with more offroad traction this time, since I have "mastered" my 5 miles commute and could do with more rolling resistance and I wish to ride some gravel paths for fitness in my free time.

The reasonable choice is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour 700x40 SmartGuard TwinSkin, but my heart yearns for the Continental Double Fighter III 29x2.00 (I can get them both for roughly the same price). Schwalbe is surely a better choice for commuting, since it is puncture-proof, so my question is does anybody use the DoubleFighter for commuting?

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1065 on: February 26, 2019, 03:18:33 AM »
I will be replacing the tires on my commuter hybrid bike and I want something with more offroad traction this time, since I have "mastered" my 5 miles commute and could do with more rolling resistance and I wish to ride some gravel paths for fitness in my free time.

The reasonable choice is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour 700x40 SmartGuard TwinSkin, but my heart yearns for the Continental Double Fighter III 29x2.00 (I can get them both for roughly the same price). Schwalbe is surely a better choice for commuting, since it is puncture-proof, so my question is does anybody use the DoubleFighter for commuting?

Not the tire you’re looking at but I did put Continentals on my road bike and they’re pretty great. Haven’t had any puncture issues like previous tires and the roads are not the best by me.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1066 on: February 26, 2019, 04:40:56 AM »

I picked this up last weekend, I want to use it as a commuter, I am gonna try and fit some 28 c tires on it, but I also want to try it on the velodrome one day too.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #1067 on: February 26, 2019, 01:53:37 PM »

I picked this up last weekend, I want to use it as a commuter, I am gonna try and fit some 28 c tires on it, but I also want to try it on the velodrome one day too.

Now that's a beautiful bicycle. I used to ride Calgary's velodrome with 23 c at 160 psi. 180 sometimes. It's so fun , I never raced , I'd watch my bicycle courier friends race. But we'd go at night n jump the fence n skate it n bike it. It's so fun getting pulled on your skate by a bike on it , I miss Calgary  :'( haha amazing city. No days off.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:39:30 PM by Christopher Lambe »

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1068 on: February 26, 2019, 10:58:58 PM »

You do know that 700 and 29 are different wheel sizes, right? It looks like they make the Continental Double Fighter in a 700. I ride a fair amount of gravel on a commuter bike with Continental Speed Rides and I'm happy with them.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1069 on: February 27, 2019, 04:24:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You do know that 700 and 29 are different wheel sizes, right? It looks like they make the Continental Double Fighter in a 700. I ride a fair amount of gravel on a commuter bike with Continental Speed Rides and I'm happy with them.

They are not fully interchangeable because of width limitations, but they are the same wheel size.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #1070 on: February 27, 2019, 10:00:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They are not fully interchangeable because of width limitations, but they are the same wheel size.

Yeah, I could have issues with rim width, but as for fork and brake clearance, I think I'm good to go. However, I'm still pretty sure that puncture resistance still has to be the on the top of my list.

flatspotter

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1071 on: March 01, 2019, 03:49:58 PM »
Anybody ride roadbikes in the LA area hit me up to ride. Heres my setup.

" "
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:52:36 PM by flatspotter »

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #1072 on: March 01, 2019, 08:36:36 PM »

Any updates on this trip?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1073 on: March 02, 2019, 07:23:03 AM »
Im injured so i cant skate lately.   But cycling is fine.  Ive been using a friends bmx in the mini vert bowl indoor ive access to.  Im starting to think bmxs are the best kinda bikes.  I learned airs on the quarter and those are really fun.  Bmx bikes are easy to forget about but their worth a go if you enjoy bikes in general.  Theyre responsivness is what makes them so fun.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #1074 on: March 02, 2019, 11:42:09 AM »
Im injured so i cant skate lately.   But cycling is fine.  Ive been using a friends bmx in the mini vert bowl indoor ive access to.  Im starting to think bmxs are the best kinda bikes.  I learned airs on the quarter and those are really fun.  Bmx bikes are easy to forget about but their worth a go if you enjoy bikes in general.  Theyre responsivness is what makes them so fun.

I put together a bmx bike in December and have been having so much fun on it riding some local dirt jumps. I don’t do any tricks, I basically just try to survive. But yeah, bmx bikes are awesome.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1075 on: March 02, 2019, 01:58:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I put together a bmx bike in December and have been having so much fun on it riding some local dirt jumps. I don’t do any tricks, I basically just try to survive. But yeah, bmx bikes are awesome.

I wanna get pads tho.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #1076 on: March 07, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The trip has honestly been incredible and I've made it about 2000 miles from san luis obispo, CA to austin, TX so far. My idea of being on a super tight budget pretty much went out the window immediately because of being with my girlfriend though, so once we make it to the Georgia coast we will have to call it. But yeah, pretty much have camped / stayed in various free spots / people's houses almost every night and only ran into rainy conditions a handful of times (and one snowy day in new mexico) so we've been getting super lucky with that. The riding and seeing new landscapes and scenery every day is usually really fun, and challenging, but if it ever gets boring we just listen to podcasts on a speaker as we ride. I guess the main challenge would be packing enough food to be able to eat 8000 calories a day for multiple days because sometimes there will be 150 mile stretches with just a few gas stations at most. Some days I kick myself for not having a board because I'll find the coolest spots riding through bum-fuck towns on country roads you wouldn't normally travel on, but it would be pretty sketchy to slam and be stranded with no way to get to a hospital.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1077 on: March 08, 2019, 04:42:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The trip has honestly been incredible and I've made it about 2000 miles from san luis obispo, CA to austin, TX so far. My idea of being on a super tight budget pretty much went out the window immediately because of being with my girlfriend though, so once we make it to the Georgia coast we will have to call it. But yeah, pretty much have camped / stayed in various free spots / people's houses almost every night and only ran into rainy conditions a handful of times (and one snowy day in new mexico) so we've been getting super lucky with that. The riding and seeing new landscapes and scenery every day is usually really fun, and challenging, but if it ever gets boring we just listen to podcasts on a speaker as we ride. I guess the main challenge would be packing enough food to be able to eat 8000 calories a day for multiple days because sometimes there will be 150 mile stretches with just a few gas stations at most. Some days I kick myself for not having a board because I'll find the coolest spots riding through bum-fuck towns on country roads you wouldn't normally travel on, but it would be pretty sketchy to slam and be stranded with no way to get to a hospital.

And you're doing it on one of the least comfortable bikes made.  Sounds great otherwise.  Hope you make a thread with photo highlights or a story, like the train trip thread or something.  Good luck, much respect.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
« Reply #1078 on: March 08, 2019, 06:55:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sounds pretty good so far!

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1079 on: March 08, 2019, 10:58:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sounds pretty good so far!

This is so sick. I leave on my trip in exactly 6 weeks from tomorrow and this just gave me an extra nudge of excitement.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.