Author Topic: Free Product You Wouldn't Even Use  (Read 7789 times)

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2241
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: Free Product You Wouldn't Even Use
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2021, 10:00:57 PM »
Anybody mention Gring King trucks yet?
For sure would NOT fuxx with them.
However, I do miss the cordial convo & energetic endorsements of @GK Satoshi.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

mbam003

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2021, 05:51:07 AM »
Many shops include free grip with some sort of shop logo with their decks. Have thrown that aside for Jessup many times. Always feel like a fool for forking over extra cash for what is essentially the same product, but it is what it is.

sketchyrider

« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2021, 06:32:20 AM »
Many shops include free grip with some sort of shop logo with their decks. Have thrown that aside for Jessup many times. Always feel like a fool for forking over extra cash for what is essentially the same product, but it is what it is.

if it wasn't for free die-cut grip, all of my boards would get the blacktop treatment. keeps me creative. plus its usually Jessup anyways.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2021, 06:49:59 AM »
I wouldn’t skate cruiser wheels.

Feel like every socal skatepark has one blonde dogtown superfan who rides a normal skate with cruiser wheels and tries so fucking hard.

Am I to infer that in Southern California (or anywhere that doesn’t really have winter) the streets are smooth enough that you can efficiently skate long distances without cruiser wheels? Or is this a park only character?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

busch

• Rep: 74
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2021, 07:31:50 AM »
Aftermarket bushings and riser pads. Had some thrown in for free on separate occasions for spending above a threshold or something and it just seems like too much hassle to switch up a setup just because the shits were free.
Do you realize that changing out your bushings is by far the easiest and least time consuming thing you could do to your skateboard?

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2021, 07:48:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I got a few free boxes of DGK shit during the "I <3 Haters" phase they were going through, and I mean they printed that shit on everything. I have hats, wrist bands, t-shirts, and decks that I received from it, and I only skated the decks because I could sticker them up.

I'm not gonna ride anything from any other truck company that isn't Indy/ Venture/ Thunder. I used to get free trucks a long time ago from a particular company (not gonna name them bc they were great to me, but no one on the team rode the actual trucks), and I'd just give that shit to my friends. It was a wack truck company that had some pretty awesome riders on their team, and the team guys I met always had Indy's for the most part.

I'm not gonna wear anything from DC, regardless of how nostalgic I get over a pair of Lynx/ Kalis 1/ Williams 1 shoes. This is coming from someone who wears Es retro models that aren't 100% true to form (weird sole/ missing airbags/ etc) which kills me bc it's my only gripe with what they're doing right now, and DC did a great job reissuing their shit 1:1. It has nothing to do with the quality of their products and everything to do with their branding image, I don't need someone looking at me wearing Lynx and associate me with Ridiculousness, energy drinks, or fat 12 year old kids who scream the n-word at strangers while playing Call of Duty. Same goes for Etnies, Es is fine in my book bc they're exclusively marketed towards skateboarding.

No Lakai footwear. I don't care how cool those Cambridge shoes look, I'm not wearing something I know is gonna suck in quality on my feet. It's a cool Adidas ripoff, but I could just buy the Adidas version without having to worry about QC issues. I mean I won't buy Adidas shoes bc I don't like the way they fit my feet, but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at. It sucks too, it's the only thing keeping me from supporting a core brand that isn't all that offensive.

No shaped decks, no weird sizes. I'll take any deck between 7.8-8.12 and ride it just fine knowing I can sand off/ sticker up lame graphics. There's some brands that I've come around to actually liking, like I'd ride some Pizza shit without covering up the graphic since I liked Raheim Robinson's Etherium part & Chase Webb is nowhere to be found.

I won't ride any bearings besides Bones Swiss. I don't care how good they are, if they're any other brand there's no way I'll feel right rolling around. It can be the regular Swiss, the six ball, ceramics, idc really, they just need to be Swiss for me to rock with them. This is the only constant I've kept with my set up during the majority of my time skateboarding, and it's never let me down.

I'm not picky with griptape, as long as it's straight black and doesn't have some stupid logo cutout or graphic I'm perfectly fine with whatever I get. I could never ride Shake Junt grip or whatever, shit like that ruins footage. Same goes for wheels, they need to be all white and 99-101A but I can deal with pretty much whatever.

I think that's basically it for me, if I come up with anything else I'll keep you guys posted.
[close]

Krux.... Gotcha !
[close]
or Royal

You guys are getting close. The one hint I’ll give is that I’m pretty sure they don’t make trucks anymore. They still have a website, but it hasn’t been updated in five years. I can’t find their trucks being sold anywhere on the internet, which is wild bc I found Destructo’s pretty easily.

At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2021, 07:54:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I got a few free boxes of DGK shit during the "I <3 Haters" phase they were going through, and I mean they printed that shit on everything. I have hats, wrist bands, t-shirts, and decks that I received from it, and I only skated the decks because I could sticker them up.

I'm not gonna ride anything from any other truck company that isn't Indy/ Venture/ Thunder. I used to get free trucks a long time ago from a particular company (not gonna name them bc they were great to me, but no one on the team rode the actual trucks), and I'd just give that shit to my friends. It was a wack truck company that had some pretty awesome riders on their team, and the team guys I met always had Indy's for the most part.

I'm not gonna wear anything from DC, regardless of how nostalgic I get over a pair of Lynx/ Kalis 1/ Williams 1 shoes. This is coming from someone who wears Es retro models that aren't 100% true to form (weird sole/ missing airbags/ etc) which kills me bc it's my only gripe with what they're doing right now, and DC did a great job reissuing their shit 1:1. It has nothing to do with the quality of their products and everything to do with their branding image, I don't need someone looking at me wearing Lynx and associate me with Ridiculousness, energy drinks, or fat 12 year old kids who scream the n-word at strangers while playing Call of Duty. Same goes for Etnies, Es is fine in my book bc they're exclusively marketed towards skateboarding.

No Lakai footwear. I don't care how cool those Cambridge shoes look, I'm not wearing something I know is gonna suck in quality on my feet. It's a cool Adidas ripoff, but I could just buy the Adidas version without having to worry about QC issues. I mean I won't buy Adidas shoes bc I don't like the way they fit my feet, but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at. It sucks too, it's the only thing keeping me from supporting a core brand that isn't all that offensive.

No shaped decks, no weird sizes. I'll take any deck between 7.8-8.12 and ride it just fine knowing I can sand off/ sticker up lame graphics. There's some brands that I've come around to actually liking, like I'd ride some Pizza shit without covering up the graphic since I liked Raheim Robinson's Etherium part & Chase Webb is nowhere to be found.

I won't ride any bearings besides Bones Swiss. I don't care how good they are, if they're any other brand there's no way I'll feel right rolling around. It can be the regular Swiss, the six ball, ceramics, idc really, they just need to be Swiss for me to rock with them. This is the only constant I've kept with my set up during the majority of my time skateboarding, and it's never let me down.

I'm not picky with griptape, as long as it's straight black and doesn't have some stupid logo cutout or graphic I'm perfectly fine with whatever I get. I could never ride Shake Junt grip or whatever, shit like that ruins footage. Same goes for wheels, they need to be all white and 99-101A but I can deal with pretty much whatever.

I think that's basically it for me, if I come up with anything else I'll keep you guys posted.
[close]

Krux.... Gotcha !
[close]
or Royal
[close]

You guys are getting close. The one hint I’ll give is that I’m pretty sure they don’t make trucks anymore. They still have a website, but it hasn’t been updated in five years. I can’t find their trucks being sold anywhere on the internet, which is wild bc I found Destructo’s pretty easily.
Ruckus?

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2021, 09:13:17 AM »
Kreeper?
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Lunker

• Rep: 4
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2021, 09:35:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Aftermarket bushings and riser pads. Had some thrown in for free on separate occasions for spending above a threshold or something and it just seems like too much hassle to switch up a setup just because the shits were free.
[close]
Do you realize that changing out your bushings is by far the easiest and least time consuming thing you could do to your skateboard?
Yeah I suppose it's not really the process of swapping out the parts. More so a question of: do you want to alter how your setup responds and performs, for free? And the answer is no, not really.  :P

Nosebleed-section

• Rep: 31
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2021, 10:34:31 AM »
You dudes sayin you wouldn’t ride a free deck from some board company you don’t like.

Can of Rusto is $5

Entirely hypothetical, I know, but this thread reeks of entitlement.

No amount of paint can cover my hate for what Welcome has become. I’d like to say it’s principal, but maybe it’s entitlement from another perspective.
just nipples affiliate

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2021, 11:15:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Krux.... Gotcha !
[close]
or Royal
[close]

[close]
Ruckus?

Thinking silver. Had a stacked team. No way kalis really skated those. Waiting for DGKalis for venture part.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

lucascbn

• Rep: 21
  • #maconha
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2021, 11:29:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Krux.... Gotcha !
[close]
or Royal
[close]

Gotta be Destructo.

Orion or Tensor

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1081
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2021, 11:42:08 AM »
Expand Quote

Feel like every socal skatepark has one blonde dogtown superfan who rides a normal skate with cruiser wheels and tries so fucking hard.

[close]

Am I to infer that in Southern California (or anywhere that doesn’t really have winter) the streets are smooth enough that you can efficiently skate long distances without cruiser wheels? Or is this a park only character?

This is absolutely the case, and it's probably why the industry pushed everyone onto 53mm 101a wheels for so long. Now we can recognize that people outside of SoCal skate and suddenly all the biggest makers are pushing a larger and softer wheel for the rest of the world, living near to or north of the 40° parallel
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

busch

« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2021, 11:42:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yeah I suppose it's not really the process of swapping out the parts. More so a question of: do you want to alter how your setup responds and performs, for free? And the answer is no, not really.  :P
Ah I see what you’re saying

stillcantreflip

« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2021, 12:29:44 PM »
Cariuma, anything revive or braille

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2021, 02:10:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Krux.... Gotcha !
[close]
or Royal
[close]

Gotta be Destructo.
[close]

Orion or Tensor

You’re all getting warmer by process of elimination. I’ll stop replying once someone finally gets it as a silent affirmation, but this thread has reminded me that there are way more truck companies than the big there that somehow survived recessions & popularity declines over the last few decades...
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

trash

• Rep: 15
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2021, 02:19:20 PM »
^ Fury

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -12
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2021, 02:21:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Krux.... Gotcha !
[close]
or Royal
[close]

Gotta be Destructo.
[close]

Orion or Tensor
[close]

You’re all getting warmer by process of elimination. I’ll stop replying once someone finally gets it as a silent affirmation, but this thread has reminded me that there are way more truck companies than the big there that somehow survived recessions & popularity declines over the last few decades...
Since every other truck company had basically been named I’m assuming it’s not Monster and I’m gonna go with Fury

busch

« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2021, 05:27:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Krux.... Gotcha !
[close]
or Royal
[close]

Gotta be Destructo.
[close]

Orion or Tensor
[close]

[close]
Since every other truck company had basically been named I’m assuming it’s not Monster and I’m gonna go with Fury
Fury site last updated 2016. 5 years. Bingo. Man those trucks DID suck.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 369
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2021, 05:37:01 PM »

ldmch11

• Rep: -4
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2021, 09:10:49 PM »
lakai, dc, big boys, any brand of cargo pants

stillcantreflip

« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2021, 11:06:02 PM »
lakai, dc, big boys, any brand of cargo pants

what pants you wearing then g

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2021, 01:29:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Ah I see what you’re saying
Yea i went on the riptide site for a second and developed a brand new gear madness. Running your trucks stock is freeing, even if it could be better in a different way
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2021, 05:40:06 AM »

This was a good read, but wow some people's lists are long.  And how does a truck company exist and not one person on the team rides them?  It's not like bearings.  That's crazy.  What did they do put stickers on the trucks

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2021, 07:57:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This is absolutely the case, and it's probably why the industry pushed everyone onto 53mm 101a wheels for so long. Now we can recognize that people outside of SoCal skate and suddenly all the biggest makers are pushing a larger and softer wheel for the rest of the world, living near to or north of the 40° parallel

Hahahaha that makes sense, because 53mm 101a in the north is usually a fucking exhausting, slow, numb-your-legs-with-vibrations, death crawl. With the exception of urban centres that are well maintained and/or sheltered by buildings.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.