Author Topic: Jacuzzi Unlimited: Enjoi 2.0  (Read 98485 times)

thehogsniper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 49
Re: Jacuzzi Unlimited: Enjoi 2.0
« Reply #690 on: February 06, 2024, 11:38:53 AM »
Expand Quote
did you see that pallet stack of decks on the IG? They were pre stickered in China, meaning Zumies would of prebooked and prepayed for those. That's a huge payday for Jacuzzi.
[close]

Yeah you can’t really blame them, they already have a huge team of people with established paychecks at dwindle they likely had to match. Jacuzzi just added a few ams they prolly had waiting in the wings for enjoi anyway. They had an obvious void to fill and a team ready to go , it was basically a mail order sears house, just order and assemble.

I’ve actually already seen an obvious not “skater”  running a jacuzzi board at the bar the recently. They’ll do well
I don't really get the whole "you can't blame them for it" mindset. A lot of brands crushing it within the last few years all had to spend years in the doldrums and working hard to get to where they are now. I think we should call out a brand who are so lazy in their designs that they take Times New Roman, make it all capitals, and italicize it to make their entire logo. Let Louie's contacts at Zumiez order it all they want, but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything from this brand.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2215
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #691 on: February 06, 2024, 11:47:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
did you see that pallet stack of decks on the IG? They were pre stickered in China, meaning Zumies would of prebooked and prepayed for those. That's a huge payday for Jacuzzi.
[close]

Yeah you can’t really blame them, they already have a huge team of people with established paychecks at dwindle they likely had to match. Jacuzzi just added a few ams they prolly had waiting in the wings for enjoi anyway. They had an obvious void to fill and a team ready to go , it was basically a mail order sears house, just order and assemble.

I’ve actually already seen an obvious not “skater”  running a jacuzzi board at the bar the recently. They’ll do well
[close]
I don't really get the whole "you can't blame them for it" mindset. A lot of brands crushing it within the last few years all had to spend years in the doldrums and working hard to get to where they are now. I think we should call out a brand who are so lazy in their designs that they take Times New Roman, make it all capitals, and italicize it to make their entire logo. Let Louie's contacts at Zumiez order it all they want, but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything from this brand.
This homey talm' 'bout the Talking Heads '77 rip?
'Cause that was one of the few truly solid moves I've seen from them, if he is.
Seem's wild to refer to it in such a way, but hey...

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

thehogsniper

« Reply #692 on: February 06, 2024, 12:05:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
This homey talm' 'bout the Talking Heads '77 rip?
'Cause that was one of the few truly solid moves I've seen from them, if he is.
Seem's wild to refer to it in such a way, but hey...
I forgot about that cover. Just shows how absolutely lazy they are to steal their entire brand identity from something David Byrne came up with almost 50 years ago. I mean, look at any number of their godawful designs and graphics. It's uninspired and lazy.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #693 on: February 06, 2024, 12:21:09 PM »
The company is a direct lineage from a brand that made Manorexic Jeans and graphics of Pandas humping. I don't think they give a shit about keeping it core by staying out of Zumiez.

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

• Rep: -6
« Reply #694 on: February 06, 2024, 12:38:15 PM »
Is it the same team that got obliterated by handrail skaters in KOTR?!
Wu Wei - The Art of Doing Nothing - Effortless Action

lurkluke

• Rep: 180
« Reply #695 on: February 06, 2024, 01:33:22 PM »

Nope:

Enjoi 1st
Creature 2nd
Deathwish 3rd

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/enjoi-wins-king-of-the-road-season-2/

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -486
« Reply #696 on: February 06, 2024, 01:46:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I mean who said just because it’s a “new” company they had to be like some original core thing. This is just continuing enjoi which was already the most mall core brand within like 6 years of its existence. I graduated high school 14 years ago and the amount of panda shirts I saw from 2005-2010 is insane.

At the end of the day people need to get paid , zumiez is a huge chain they had an established relationship with why should they just suffer being an underground skate brand for years when then can just do what want and the team gets paid.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #697 on: February 06, 2024, 07:11:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m not an industry insider, but I’m not sure you’re math checks out here.

lurkluke

« Reply #698 on: February 06, 2024, 07:31:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You clearly also know nothing about business. Selling your product to one person outside of your target demographic is a highway to making big bucks.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -486
« Reply #699 on: February 06, 2024, 07:42:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You clearly also know nothing about business. Selling your product to one person outside of your target demographic is a highway to making big bucks.

I think they were referring to the non skater aspect of the observation, but plenty of people own skateboards, doesn’t mean they skate. I own a guitar I’m no guitarist.

But yeah you got the point I was trying to make.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #700 on: February 06, 2024, 08:00:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think they were referring to the non skater aspect of the observation, but plenty of people own skateboards, doesn’t mean they skate. I own a guitar I’m no guitarist.

I’m just fucking around, I am suprised to hear they have any traction outside core, but I guess that is zumiez for ya

lurkluke

« Reply #701 on: February 06, 2024, 08:41:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh I was being sarcastic. Heaps sarcastic.

sk84fun

• Rep: -42
« Reply #702 on: February 06, 2024, 09:34:08 PM »
Plz turn mark bark pro…he rips

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #703 on: February 07, 2024, 01:56:03 AM »
"for the environment" and holds up a shrink wrapped board.  Time for cardboard sleeves, dudes.

Buttworm

• Rep: 32
« Reply #704 on: February 07, 2024, 03:33:01 AM »
I went to stock market today. I did a business

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #705 on: February 07, 2024, 03:37:32 AM »

Don’t judge a book by it’s cover…

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3336
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #706 on: February 07, 2024, 06:16:05 AM »
I’ve seen a dude in the “scared of smoking weed” shirt, he was rocking it with teva’s

I want one of these to wear to AA meetings so badly but not sure anyone would get it. And frankly I’m not even sure I’d even get it in that context.

thehogsniper

« Reply #707 on: February 07, 2024, 12:46:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I mean who said just because it’s a “new” company they had to be like some original core thing. This is just continuing enjoi which was already the most mall core brand within like 6 years of its existence. I graduated high school 14 years ago and the amount of panda shirts I saw from 2005-2010 is insane.

At the end of the day people need to get paid , zumiez is a huge chain they had an established relationship with why should they just suffer being an underground skate brand for years when then can just do what want and the team gets paid.
My point is really that I don't think we should celebrate a brand like Jacuzzi, especially with them getting a big deal with Zumiez. It's pretty absurd that there's a lot of guys around who seem to think because some skater put out good parts 20 years ago that he deserves to be paid. It's a bunch of phoniness, copying what was big like three years ago and repackaging it to consumers. What pisses me off the most is that all of their art is stock imagery. The J balloon in a cowboy hat? Stock image. The horse? Another stock image. All of that shit is wack as fuck.

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

• Rep: -6
« Reply #708 on: February 07, 2024, 01:29:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nope:

Enjoi 1st
Creature 2nd
Deathwish 3rd

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/enjoi-wins-king-of-the-road-season-2/

Dang homie! You're right. I only watched up until the Lake Havasu stop and they got smoked that day. Thanks for putting me on.
Wu Wei - The Art of Doing Nothing - Effortless Action

TreyPhillip

• Rep: 17
« Reply #709 on: February 07, 2024, 01:32:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
My point is really that I don't think we should celebrate a brand like Jacuzzi, especially with them getting a big deal with Zumiez. It's pretty absurd that there's a lot of guys around who seem to think because some skater put out good parts 20 years ago that he deserves to be paid. It's a bunch of phoniness, copying what was big like three years ago and repackaging it to consumers. What pisses me off the most is that all of their art is stock imagery. The J balloon in a cowboy hat? Stock image. The horse? Another stock image. All of that shit is wack as fuck.

One of the cool things about skateboarding is that we all get the appreciate and celebrate different aspects of it. I think it is totally fine for you to hold this viewpoint but I don't think the brand deserves unanimous hate for any of these reasons. If skaters want to support Louie because he put out their favourite part 20 years ago or support guys like Gus Bus, Andrea, Joey, etc because they are up & comers I don't really see the issue. I also think Zumiez or other similar bigger less core shops are necessary if you want to be able to grow your brand. They are still supplying skaters with wood and are still a starting point for lots of young skaters, I agree they are corny but I fail to see why picking up a large account is a bad thing for the brand or for the whole of skateboarding.
Also I'm not saying you're wrong but now I'm curious, I tried reverse image searching that J graphic and couldn't find any stock art, can you link it up with where you found that?

thehogsniper

« Reply #710 on: February 07, 2024, 01:50:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

One of the cool things about skateboarding is that we all get the appreciate and celebrate different aspects of it. I think it is totally fine for you to hold this viewpoint but I don't think the brand deserves unanimous hate for any of these reasons. If skaters want to support Louie because he put out their favourite part 20 years ago or support guys like Gus Bus, Andrea, Joey, etc because they are up & comers I don't really see the issue. I also think Zumiez or other similar bigger less core shops are necessary if you want to be able to grow your brand. They are still supplying skaters with wood and are still a starting point for lots of young skaters, I agree they are corny but I fail to see why picking up a large account is a bad thing for the brand or for the whole of skateboarding.
Also I'm not saying you're wrong but now I'm curious, I tried reverse image searching that J graphic and couldn't find any stock art, can you link it up with where you found that?
Happy to do so. Here are both examples.

Whoever this Henry Johnson guy is, he's quite obviously copied the art.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 641
« Reply #711 on: February 07, 2024, 02:40:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

It's ok dawg, just turn away if you really feel that strongly about it. No one is forcing you to buy their decks or like this brand.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #712 on: February 07, 2024, 03:44:45 PM »
Yeah but they put a leather jacket and a cowboy hat on the stock image J. THAT MAKES IT ZANY AND ORIGINAL!

thehogsniper

« Reply #713 on: February 07, 2024, 03:57:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
It's ok dawg, just turn away if you really feel that strongly about it. No one is forcing you to buy their decks or like this brand.
He asks for proof, I give him proof.

TreyPhillip

• Rep: 17
« Reply #714 on: February 07, 2024, 04:31:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
He asks for proof, I give him proof.

Stoked on the proof, thank you for the proof.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #715 on: February 07, 2024, 04:39:14 PM »
Haven't followed this closely, but I look at hip hop (and, I suppose, electronic) producers in the following way regarding sampling:

If a producer "discovers" a sample in a pre-existing song -- meaning finds a bit of music, isolates it, and then loops it up over and over -- and compliments it with new drums and bass (and other sounds), and gives a rapper a new canvas to place lyrics over, said producer basically creates a new work of art (even if it based heavily on that existing music). I find that of value. I enjoy the art of sampling. They are basically re-purposing that initial pre-existing song and adding enough new elements that they (and the rapper) are then associated with the pre-existing song. They've introduced it to a whole new audience that may have never been exposed or appreciated the initial work. I would describe this as an nbd. Like taking an existing trick to a new spot.

What I find less impressive (though, on occasion, still of [albeit lesser] value) is when a subsequent producer utilizes the same music sample that has already been re-purposed, or even less impressive, samples the actual song that the first producer created with the sample already contained within it. Sure, a different rapper may be adding his lyrics now...but a producer (and rapper) has already planted their flag into that sample. It's inherently kind of an abd.

Now, the record industry has decided that, in all occasions, the original creator (or the otherwise owner of the work) has to be asked for his or her consent/approval, and be given credit and (at least the opportunity) to require financial participation. The risk the producers and their record labels run is that the original creator/owner can put an injuction on the re-purposed music, having it pulled from shelves, or even demand most of the money earned from it to be given to them retroactively.

I personally am not a stickler for giving credit or payments -- I think fair use should be pushed to the limits -- but it is essentially the law. And giving the original creator/owner a say has some value, at least, for instance in a case where, say, a neo-nazi band wants to sample an African-American or Jewish artist's music; said artist has the right to prevent that from happening to their material.

Others, however, see no value in sampling and frown upon anything that isn't an original creation.

I guess I look at re-purposing art for skateboard decks, or placing an existing-song on a skate vid soundtrack, as my stance on sampling: It's cool to bring a drawing or photo to a new audience, maybe change it up a bit (or a lot).

But it takes on a new life, at least in my mind, when it gets put on a board, with the name of a company (or a pro's name) on it. Or if you hear someone skating to [insert song here] for the first time. It's an nbd. I see the value. If another company then subsequently uses the same graphic or skates to the same song, it's an abd.

But, yeah, I think it's a moral (and legal) question of if the skate company has to negotiate with and/or credit the original artist.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

manuduncan

• Rep: 23
« Reply #716 on: February 07, 2024, 05:19:59 PM »
their J graphic is actually from a famous old michelob ad

Denim Pizza

• Rep: -105
« Reply #717 on: February 07, 2024, 06:34:21 PM »
Jacuzzi is honestly a lazy name for a company. I’m going to start PlayStation Skateboards.

hotservicedeli

• Rep: -4
« Reply #718 on: February 08, 2024, 09:28:48 AM »
Haven't followed this closely, but I look at hip hop (and, I suppose, electronic) producers in the following way regarding sampling:

If a producer "discovers" a sample in a pre-existing song -- meaning finds a bit of music, isolates it, and then loops it up over and over -- and compliments it with new drums and bass (and other sounds), and gives a rapper a new canvas to place lyrics over, said producer basically creates a new work of art (even if it based heavily on that existing music). I find that of value. I enjoy the art of sampling. They are basically re-purposing that initial pre-existing song and adding enough new elements that they (and the rapper) are then associated with the pre-existing song. They've introduced it to a whole new audience that may have never been exposed or appreciated the initial work. I would describe this as an nbd. Like taking an existing trick to a new spot.

What I find less impressive (though, on occasion, still of [albeit lesser] value) is when a subsequent producer utilizes the same music sample that has already been re-purposed, or even less impressive, samples the actual song that the first producer created with the sample already contained within it. Sure, a different rapper may be adding his lyrics now...but a producer (and rapper) has already planted their flag into that sample. It's inherently kind of an abd.

Now, the record industry has decided that, in all occasions, the original creator (or the otherwise owner of the work) has to be asked for his or her consent/approval, and be given credit and (at least the opportunity) to require financial participation. The risk the producers and their record labels run is that the original creator/owner can put an injuction on the re-purposed music, having it pulled from shelves, or even demand most of the money earned from it to be given to them retroactively.

I personally am not a stickler for giving credit or payments -- I think fair use should be pushed to the limits -- but it is essentially the law. And giving the original creator/owner a say has some value, at least, for instance in a case where, say, a neo-nazi band wants to sample an African-American or Jewish artist's music; said artist has the right to prevent that from happening to their material.

Others, however, see no value in sampling and frown upon anything that isn't an original creation.

I guess I look at re-purposing art for skateboard decks, or placing an existing-song on a skate vid soundtrack, as my stance on sampling: It's cool to bring a drawing or photo to a new audience, maybe change it up a bit (or a lot).

But it takes on a new life, at least in my mind, when it gets put on a board, with the name of a company (or a pro's name) on it. Or if you hear someone skating to [insert song here] for the first time. It's an nbd. I see the value. If another company then subsequently uses the same graphic or skates to the same song, it's an abd.

But, yeah, I think it's a moral (and legal) question of if the skate company has to negotiate with and/or credit the original artist.

I know Rocco wasn’t the graphic design team with World but he should probably go down in history as a contemporary to Warhol because he and set the standard for barging copyrights and repurposing images for mass production.
Enjoi’s founders and lineage is World Industries.It just is. So when I see board companies owned by riders who were in close proximity to Rocco it doesn’t surprise me when they do something controversial with their art direction. Oddly, what Jacuzzi is doing seems different. Cloaking an image seems shadier than than just blatantly copying it. And it’s not just Jacuzzi lifting obscure or preexisting images to define their aesthetic. Does it go this deep to sell boards? Who knows. I’m sure we can go on and on about how you define a bite versus duplication to grab people’s attention. but GH was right in his last rant about Ai. “Just stop”  But oftentimes no means yes for abusers. whatever.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #719 on: February 08, 2024, 10:08:17 AM »
Well, yeah, A.I. is pretty much wack all around as far as artwork is concerned.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"