Author Topic: Jacuzzi Unlimited: Enjoi 2.0  (Read 98490 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
Re: Jacuzzi Unlimited: Enjoi 2.0
« Reply #750 on: February 10, 2024, 07:24:40 AM »
how the fuck are sci fi graphics “lazy” but that yashica graphic is good? be fucking serious, come on

Seriously, people are really stretching here based on their pre-existing biases towards who owns these brands and who they sponsor.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

MtnDoucheBag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #751 on: February 10, 2024, 07:29:17 AM »
Sci-fi fantasy definitely has a similar A.I. boy general weird dreadful yucky generic 90s late night at the office on the internet vibe.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #752 on: February 10, 2024, 07:31:54 AM »
Sci-fi fantasy definitely has a yucky generic 90s late night at the office on the internet vibe.

It's entirely possible that the under-35 crowd has absolutely no reference for this 𝒶𝑒𝓈𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓉𝒾𝒸.

MtnDoucheBag

• Rep: -99
« Reply #753 on: February 10, 2024, 07:35:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Sci-fi fantasy definitely has a yucky generic 90s late night at the office on the internet vibe.
[close]

It's entirely possible that the under-35 crowd has absolutely no reference for this 𝒶𝑒𝓈𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓉𝒾𝒸.

Oh word? I’m just being dumb this shit ain’t serious to me.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #754 on: February 10, 2024, 07:40:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Oh word? I’m just being dumb this shit ain’t serious to me.

I'm agreeing with you. That is absolutely what Sci-Fi is going for, but it's possible that certain young people without a memory of the early internet simply do not recognize this.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 08:27:39 AM by manysnakes »

Wienerboy

• Rep: -103
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
« Reply #755 on: February 10, 2024, 08:13:14 AM »
That's why Jerry is a genius putting on GH because Gen Z seems to love him. I asked one of my students the other week if he had watched BHADW2 yet. A few days later he comes to me and talks about the video, but of all people calls out Jon Dickson, saying he couldn't stand his style and watching him skate. I was confused and told him how sick Dickson is and how good he is, albeit maybe his clothing choice is a little too blue collar bland. The student replied with "no his arms are annoying with his skate style". I just said I had never really noticed.

Skip ahead a week or so and the Gifted Hater BHADW2 review comes out, and GH says exactly how Jon Dickson always has the same arm pose when landing. Then I put it together, remembering this particular kid has told he me subscribes to GH's Patreon, and also thinking about past things my students have said (about SOTY, etc), that kids will literally parrot GH's viewpoints and try to pass them off as their own.

I guess I used to do this somewhat as a kid, but definitely made me roll my eyes.
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #756 on: February 10, 2024, 09:48:23 AM »
Another Yashica/Kyocera user here! I wish I could find that deck!

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #757 on: February 10, 2024, 10:16:03 AM »
Sci Fi is for teenagers who try to vibe you out and Jacuzzi is for mid 20's guys addicted to PBR.

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
  • JACKASS
« Reply #758 on: February 10, 2024, 12:13:08 PM »

let’s go home

• Rep: 35
« Reply #759 on: February 10, 2024, 12:16:37 PM »
The Jacuzzi graphics are ok/fine but oh Jesus shit those Scifi boards are dreadful!
I have to pull back a little bit after viewing Scifi’s IG. Most of the graphics look actually really cool but the examples posted in this thread are the worse ones. Nothing bad to say about their video productions too.

Shtonk

• Rep: -356
« Reply #760 on: February 10, 2024, 12:23:40 PM »
People who can't see the difference between Jacuzzi and SciFi and people who think owning small format Yashicas is rep-able are really the same kind of people.

Shtonk

• Rep: -356
« Reply #761 on: February 10, 2024, 12:24:53 PM »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #762 on: February 10, 2024, 02:56:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It’s hard for me to understand all the Jacuzzi slander when Dill blatantly Steals from Van Halen (R.I.P Eddie) and just slaps his hulk hogan logo over it

And Jerry just got a still of the good looking Bird from resident evil and threw a texture and some standard font over it.

Sci-Fi’s graphics in general are hit or miss. These four in particular feel as if a 7th grad boy was hit by a car and his programmer father kept his brain alive by hooking it up to Ai and then Ai brain boy shit these out.

they make my stomach fill up with blood looking at them.
[close]
everyone talks shit about FA very regularly and sci-fi is obviously going for (and pulling off quite well) a weird deep web/fried/early internet aesthetic in everything they do.

i'd skate any of those SFF boards before a jacuzzi
[close]

To each their own, to me that sci-fi ascetic is lazy, sometimes I’ll see some of the best graphics out or it’s a Swiss cheese book and cheeto ball or chairs stacked up too high, any of these jacuzzi or almost any company’s graphics I’d rather skate.

[close]

I want that Yashica T4 deck. I miss mine it was a solid film p&s
[close]

Same, I have the Slim T myself, that and some portra 4 or cine still Is incredible

Found one on socal skate shop and copped it. I put a lot of rolls through my t4 before it finally broke down. Definitely going on the wall

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #763 on: February 10, 2024, 03:30:48 PM »
That's why Jerry is a genius putting on GH because Gen Z seems to love him. I asked one of my students the other week if he had watched BHADW2 yet. A few days later he comes to me and talks about the video, but of all people calls out Jon Dickson, saying he couldn't stand his style and watching him skate. I was confused and told him how sick Dickson is and how good he is, albeit maybe his clothing choice is a little too blue collar bland. The student replied with "no his arms are annoying with his skate style". I just said I had never really noticed.

Skip ahead a week or so and the Gifted Hater BHADW2 review comes out, and GH says exactly how Jon Dickson always has the same arm pose when landing. Then I put it together, remembering this particular kid has told he me subscribes to GH's Patreon, and also thinking about past things my students have said (about SOTY, etc), that kids will literally parrot GH's viewpoints and try to pass them off as their own.

I guess I used to do this somewhat as a kid, but definitely made me roll my eyes.

To be fair, there’s adult posters here that do that exact same thing.

Everyone loved Tom Knox here until GH had an opinion.

Waiting for everyone to backpedal on Casper Brooker now from the GH effect.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #764 on: February 10, 2024, 06:54:18 PM »
anyone who has a problem with the sci-fi graphics being “fried internet” or whatever better not look at the website https://scififantasy.co/
(probably one of the only actually cool co-options/implementations of net art in skating i’ve seen)

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1330
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #765 on: February 11, 2024, 02:40:34 AM »
Expand Quote
anyone who has a problem with the sci-fi graphics being “fried internet” or whatever better not look at the website https://scififantasy.co/
(probably one of the only actually cool co-options/implementations of net art in skating i’ve seen)
[close]

I mean I guess our tastes just differ, when I think of high quality net/digital art I think of Olia Lialina‘s “My Boyfriend Came Back from the War”

http://www.teleportacia.org/war/wara.htm

The boards I posted from sci-fi don’t come to mind as “high” art or even “net/digital” art but rather a certain “deep fried” genre of memes and Y2K nostalgia.

It’s nothing against Sci-fi, I love Jerry and Arins skating and some of their graphics have been incredible I just feel as if these graphics (both sets I’ve posted) are redundant in style and in substance, and should be held to the same standard of criticism as jacuzzi or alltimers.

To quote Tony Soprano "'Remember when” is the lowest form of conversation.” And in that regard I find nostalgia the lowest form of art.

There's a critique of the ubiquity and absurdity of mass produced, globally distributed goods that I think you may be missing with the Sci-Fi Fantasy aesthetic. Even the borderline crummy quality of the early drop-shipped merch seemed to be coming from that same place.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #766 on: February 11, 2024, 05:10:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I mean I guess our tastes just differ, when I think of high quality net/digital art I think of Olia Lialina‘s “My Boyfriend Came Back from the War”

The boards I posted from sci-fi don’t come to mind as “high” art or even “net/digital” art but rather a certain “deep fried” genre of memes and Y2K nostalgia.

It’s nothing against Sci-fi, I love Jerry and Arins skating and some of their graphics have been incredible I just feel as if these graphics (both sets I’ve posted) are redundant in style and in substance, and should be held to the same standard of criticism as jacuzzi or alltimers.

To quote Tony Soprano "'Remember when” is the lowest form of conversation.” And in that regard I find nostalgia the lowest form of art.

not bumping these trash graphics
[close]
There's a critique of the ubiquity and absurdity of mass produced, globally distributed goods that I think you may be missing with the Sci-Fi Fantasy aesthetic. Even the borderline crummy quality of the early drop-shipped merch seemed to be coming from that same place.

putting this "critique" on a bunch of skateboard decks is hella brain dead

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #767 on: February 11, 2024, 05:18:25 AM »
its like a fuckin critique of our fucked up system of production, i screened em on these pieces of wood and epoxy that you dance around on and then throw out. hopefully it gets people to wake tf up

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #768 on: February 11, 2024, 07:40:08 AM »
Sci Fi is for teenagers who try to vibe you out and Jacuzzi is for mid 20's guys addicted to PBR.

imagine being addicted to pbr

like actually addicted and not just buying it out of convenience

Dilo has been teasing a twin nose shape that I may cop if its full-shovel. Only other places Ive heard of twin nose are deathwish, and p rod skating one for personal use

Expand Quote

[close]

I will always love tom knox, and regret selling make friends with the colour blue to a slapper

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #769 on: February 11, 2024, 11:10:28 AM »
GH is a fucking kid, if you're an adult who can be brainwashed that easily better start scooting.
Love Tom Knox and the quick feet style.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Tireeedd

• Rep: 86
« Reply #770 on: February 11, 2024, 11:41:52 AM »
GH is a fucking kid, if you're an adult who can be brainwashed that easily better start scooting.
Love Tom Knox and the quick feet style.

the irony is like most of the people who I know that scooter dig tom knox too lol, so GH is in a real real minority of people

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1330
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #771 on: February 11, 2024, 01:09:18 PM »
its like a fuckin critique of our fucked up system of production, i screened em on these pieces of wood and epoxy that you dance around on and then throw out. hopefully it gets people to wake tf up
Yeah dude that's how art works dunno what to tell ya
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -115
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #772 on: February 11, 2024, 01:15:31 PM »
Quote from: Lightskinhardhitta

lol that’s dogshit Sci Fi is killer you’re such a goofball.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #773 on: February 11, 2024, 01:19:34 PM »

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 267
  • often correct
« Reply #774 on: February 11, 2024, 01:24:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dilo has been teasing a twin nose shape that I may cop if its full-shovel. Only other places Ive heard of twin nose are deathwish, and p rod skating one for personal use

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I will always love tom knox, and regret selling make friends with the colour blue to a slapper
i might have a spare. DM me

GaryDahLegend

• Rep: 4
« Reply #775 on: February 11, 2024, 01:43:31 PM »
struggling to imagine the noumenon of coming home after a hard day of school, hopping of the bus, booting up the gateway, throwing that people pc disk in the drive, filling out all the bogus info until it let me connect to verify, minimizing the window, opening up mozilla, slap bookmark, my math models teacher is just talking maaad shit on me for saying I thought slaughterhouse was sick waat??

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #776 on: February 11, 2024, 04:08:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
i might have a spare. DM me

you're the fuckin man

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Ninj2

• Rep: -86
« Reply #777 on: February 11, 2024, 05:13:00 PM »

You can catch hot tube lungs in a jacuzzi

Ninj2

• Rep: -86
« Reply #778 on: February 11, 2024, 05:15:23 PM »

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -486
« Reply #779 on: February 11, 2024, 07:49:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Fuck I gotta buy a six pack of something not pbr when I go to the store next now cause I been drinking way too many lately. In all fairness I’m cheap and the other brand are rice based malts and give me headaches. But maybe I’ll get an ipa or go to the craft beer store on the way home tomorrow and get a nice sour or something .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.