Author Topic: VX is Dead?  (Read 8968 times)

jon schmoldt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -32
VX is Dead?
« on: June 22, 2012, 05:03:39 PM »
i personally am bummed skating is straying away from vx 100's,  there are still a select few that dable in the arts but most people are going HD.
Fuck em

FrenchFuck

Re: VX is Dead?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 05:32:54 PM »
I've got two. Fuck those cunts

thunderwood

• Rep: -18
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 05:59:01 PM »
Terrible thread is terrible.

Chipp

• Rep: -10
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
vx 100's ay?

you my friend, suck at this.

ilikebitches

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »
i think vx' are good for poor people :P

trannies and mannies

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 06:55:15 PM »
VX1MK1 setup is the most perfect setup for filming skating. Its a shame everybody is upgrading to HD, but I can understand why.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 07:34:48 PM »
Terrible thread is terrible.

Pretty much sums it uP.

zoltan

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 10:17:18 PM »
Everyone is going to hd because it is obviously higher quality, but its not meant for skating. vx-1000 mk1 is ideal for skateboarding, it looks the most natural and is more appealing to watch then HD headchopping, ultra slow mo bullshit. most the parts nowadays bore the fuck out of me because of the way they film with HD cameras, and the style of editing, Sure the tricks are harder but is not as enjoyable to watch like videos such as AWS Mindfield, and Habitat Origin which if you watch on dvd the there is no problem with the quality. It is just like how alot of photographers prefer film over digital. I will use a vx-1000 mk1 for as long as possible and i hope many others try to keep it around.

thugnificent

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 10:20:12 PM »
the new nike video was all hd and it was the best filmed video i have ever seen, stop holding on to the past, its over. some people make it look shitty, some people make it look great, just like everything else. deal with it, you dont have a choice

zoltan

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
the new nike video was all hd and it was the best filmed video i have ever seen, stop holding on to the past, its over. some people make it look shitty, some people make it look great, just like everything else. deal with it, you dont have a choice

yeah i do have agree with you on that, jason hernandez is an amazing filmer and editor same with greg hunt, those are the only dudes i can stand hd from. but the only reason i think companies are switching is to seem more professional, but cmon its fucking skateboarding. i thought everyone was about being raw and true to their shit

victor333

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 10:36:42 PM »

pretty much.

I don't understand why someone would purposely choose to shoot in a lower resolution. It's not artistic; it's just laziness and an unwillingness to adapt to and embrace new (read: better) technology.

Do professional photographers shoot with entry-level DSLRs? No. They get the high-end shit, because they don't want their tech putting boundaries on what they can accomplish.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »
If you watch VX footy on a non HD tv, then I am good with that. With all these high res screens and TVs, VX looks like shit. Agreed with the Nike video. That shit looked great.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Mad Lauder

• Rep: 37
  • RIP SLIM DUNKIN
    • THEWORST avatar image
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 10:42:46 PM »
But really guys.
Did people stop usin auto tune after D.O.A.?
cmon now
I dont recall ever putting on anything Southpole in my life.
http://soundcloud.com/theworst

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah i do have agree with you on that, jason hernandez is an amazing filmer and editor same with greg hunt, those are the only dudes i can stand hd from. but the only reason i think companies are switching is to seem more professional, but cmon its fucking skateboarding. i thought everyone was about being raw and true to their shit

Hernandez could film on a cell phone and it would still come out better than everything else. I think companies should be using a mixture-save the HD for the long lens and stationary angles and keep the VX for the for the skate camera-but that isn't going to be a budgetary reality for everyone. I'm psyched how VHS footage has made a comeback recently. I love how film looks, and being able to control your result requires you to know your shit cause the camera isn't going to do it for you.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »
It just depends on the content.. nothing wrong with mixing it up though. Both have their pros/cons ..one couldn't be dead to the other. I think the VX is the best for just filming raw skate action and is most suited for in the field skateboarding
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

doublesteveburger

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 12:03:43 AM »
i personally don't mind either.

Red

• Rep: 51
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 01:30:45 AM »

Agreed. Some people can't seem to understand this; using a VX does not automatically make you a good skate filmer  and neither will having the latest HD shit.
Skate filming more or less consists of composition and timing, if you suck at both of them you could be using whatever the fuck you want and it will still look bad.
The Cinematographer project was 90% HD and that AWS section was some of the best shit to come out this year.

Only a bad tradesman blames his tools.

The way i see it the VX will is similar to Vinyl, while other shit (mini discs I'm looking at you) has come and gone, vinyl still has a cult following and probably more people using it than tapes or something else that came after. It can't be dead if people are still using them right?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 01:34:02 AM by Red »

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 06:20:44 AM »
If you watch VX footy on a non HD tv, then I am good with that. With all these high res screens and TVs, VX looks like shit. Agreed with the Nike video. That shit looked great.
So dead on man, i love watching VX footage on a DVD on a tube tv, but how many people still have tube tv's these days? I hete watching vx footage on a computer or progressive scan tv, it looks awful and the truth is most people get their skate content from the web.
People are always gonna film vx as long as the camera exist but most companies are prolly done excepting that, the Palace filmer kills it with VHS but could he get away with that if he worked for Element or any company owned by a corporate entity? no way, do think these number crunchers understand art over technology, nope. Yeah also once you upload footage from a card and realize how easy it is you dread having to ever log a tape again.

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 07:03:22 AM »
I think that the vx1000 with an mk1 is the best,  the reason why I think people are using HD cameras like dslrs is because they're so much easier to use. Which is understandabe.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 07:23:13 AM »
I think that the vx1000 with an mk1 is the best,  the reason why I think people are using HD cameras like dslrs is because they're so much easier to use. Which is understandabe.
if you use them right, they arent easier to use. If you stick both cameras on auto they're super simple, one reason a lot of people are using HDSLRs is you can build a set up thats good for about $1500. Getting a decent vx1000 with a death lens will run you at least $1000 and thats for 13-17 year old camera and a lens that is at least 10 years old. Kids are way more hyped on dslrs also for the size and that fact they can take pictures. All the young kids in new orleans that film now also take pictures and im sure thats the case in every city now.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 07:52:47 AM »
VX is like the old girl who you are familiar with and may actually love more.  But the new girl is just hotter and does everything. :P

personally i'm more into the skating and angles than the resolution (not shitty is fine) and playback speeds.  and a good song or no song doesn't hurt.

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 08:01:32 AM »
VX is like the old girl who you are familiar with and may actually love more.  But the new girl is just hotter and does everything. :P

personally i'm more into the skating and angles than the resolution (not shitty is fine) and playback speeds.  and a good song or no song doesn't hurt.
HD does anal. VX laughs at your dumb jokes and asks if you want pizza afterwards.

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 08:30:07 AM »

Exactly

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »
But really guys.
cmon now

Basically if you still like VX footage you're a T-Pain fan

Mad Lauder

• Rep: 37
  • RIP SLIM DUNKIN
    • THEWORST avatar image
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 10:13:04 AM »
Expand Quote
But really guys.
cmon now
[close]

Basically if you still like VX footage you're a T-Pain fan

Buy u a drank is still a real good song tho
I dont recall ever putting on anything Southpole in my life.
http://soundcloud.com/theworst

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 10:42:31 AM »
Lets just have a Hood Classic thread

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »
I have a shitty prosumer canon camcorder, and it looks ridiculously good on my 50 inch HDTV. A lot of SD dvd's do too, if they're formatted/compressed right. I also use that tv as my computer monitor and I see a lot of sd edits that look like garbage, but some do look good too.depends on the media player chosen as well.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

jakenjoi

• Rep: 15
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 11:58:18 AM »
This is such a tired argument, but I hope to settle a few things without beating a dead horse.

First of all, the VX is the standard for SD footage because SD was the standard for ages.  There were countless SD cameras available over the commercial use of SD, and the VX trumped them all for various reasons, but one of the most notable reasons, one that has been completely overlooked in this thread, is the mic.  The VX1's mic is superb, it's even unmatched when compared to the VX2.  I use a VX2 and always have to change my audio settings to adjust for the clip (ie. filming fisheye, long lens, under a bridge, an overhang, any echoing surroundings etc.).  Automatic audio on a VX2 sounds like someone is holding a phone up to their wheel as they roll along.  AND DON'T GET ME STARTED WITH GL1'S! AWFUL CAMERA ALL AROUND.

Now, with HD there isn't such a set standard in resolution.  Are we talking 720P versus 1080P versus SD? The problem is we are already on the verge of outdating those resolutions with 4K (for instance, the RED cameras).  They haven't even developed a standard for HD camcorders so it's basically a HUGE GAMBLE whether or not you buy the right one (ie. the "timeless" one let's say).  Also, all of them film in a different proprietary format, so it becomes even more of a headache for the person editing to slap it all together on a timeline that won't cause your computer to spit sparks at you in the editing process.  MiniDV is MiniDV; avi, DV or raw MOV, they all edit pretty seamlessly in Premiere Pro on a DV timeline.

Also, some of the newer cameras use the CMOS sensors which is a less costly alternative to the CCD sensors.  The CCD sensors handle motion better though (I'm not an inorganic chemist, so I can't tell you why charged coupled devices works better). The CMOS sensors can give the footage a "rolling lens" effect, which basically makes the subject look like they're made of Laffy Taffy.  Obviously if you are predominantly filming motion, this is a huge detriment.

So in short, there is just TOO MUCH VARIETY in HD.  I know the HDSLR's are catching on, but they can't zoom without losing focus, so they aren't a complete solution, and the HVX is probably the most solid solution, but by the time most of us save up for the camera and outrageously priced piece of glass to put on the front of it, it will get destroyed by flying skateboards and something bigger and better will already be out.  The VX is an increasingly limited timeless tool that carries the weight, value and authenticity of a certain specific look that has made itself the face of the skateboard industry for such a long time.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »
skateboarding needs a vx dslr hybrid, somebody mount a dslr into a death vx's body , make it shoot 4:3, set up the century your good to go.

not gonna hate on the vx, it's the perfect camera for skateboarding and the raw look of the footage is amazin.
buying the tapes was/is expensive, the view finder broke down on multiple occasions, the battery packs don't last that long, you always had to remember to check steady shot, when you film a line for longer then 20 minutes your arms might fall off due to the heavy weight of the camera.
but it still looks better then all the HD stuff.

Borthas

• Rep: -538
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 06:05:59 PM »
guys my TV from 2001 looks so raw when it plays skateboard videos i filmed with my VX

i dont know why anyone would upgrade

blasphemy