Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798329 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1560 on: February 28, 2019, 10:55:21 AM »
There’s more to it than just truck height.
I run 54 mm wheels on pretty much all my setups and with Indys (55 mm high) I get wheelbite sometimes.
On Venture His (also 55 mm high) it’s really hard to get them to wheelbite even though I run mine loose as fuck.
Aces also don’t wheelbite easily at all with 54 mm wheels despite being 52 mm tall.

Fucking slap is bugging. Have to press enter after every row or otherwise the Post-button goes missing. 😮

Basically the same as my experience: much harder to get wheelbite with ventures, and aces don’t wheelbite much, for me, with 56 conical fills and no risers

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1561 on: February 28, 2019, 11:53:56 AM »
I run 54 mm wheels on pretty much all my setups and with Indys (55 mm high) I get wheelbite sometimes.
On Venture His (also 55 mm high) it’s really hard to get them to wheelbite even though I run mine loose as fuck.
Aces also don’t wheelbite easily at all with 54 mm wheels despite being 52 mm tall.

Fucking slap is bugging. Have to press enter after every row or otherwise the Post-button goes missing. 😮

Yeah shits borked, even worse on mobile.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1562 on: February 28, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »
Expand Quote
what’s the biggest size wheel y’all would ride without risers on a 55mm truck?
any experiences with bigger than 54?
[close]

Indy says you can do 56mm on the standard (55mm height truck) and 54mm on the forged trucks (53.5 height).

Both of which I've done and worked.  I'm also susceptible to wheelbite due to my sloppy skating

I wheelbite as well using the 'max' mm size without risers; I just ride too loose and sketchy; I wheelbite 50mm ;)

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1563 on: February 28, 2019, 05:21:50 PM »

interesting. you guys think thats more of a geometry thing or a bushing thing?

i also dont like risers, so im wondering how far i could push it while experimenting with shapes and sizes

EDIT: follow up, anyone tried the Acid Chemical Co. Pods?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:09:24 PM by Weon »
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

full of jerks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
« Reply #1564 on: February 28, 2019, 09:11:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i also dont like risers, so im wondering how far i could push it while experimenting with shapes and sizes

I think at least part of it is that they aren't specifying a truck width in that wheel size recommendation.  Wider trucks will wheelbite easier.

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1565 on: February 28, 2019, 09:55:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Geometry, 100 percent. Turn your board on it's side and imagine a straight line between the pivot cup and
axle – the angle of that line is a big factor in how sharp trucks can turn. The steeper it is, the more turn you
get before the wheels hit the deck. I think Aces might be the turniest in that regard. There's obviously other
factors: one brand of truck can effectively shrink or extend your wheelbase. Narrower trucks turn sharper,
and therefore get less wheelbite (Indy and Thunder both make trucks that are 8.5, where as Ace 44s are actually
8.35). It would be cool if truck companies used some kind of standardized measure of turning radius on a 54mm
wheel.

Sorry to pollute this wheel discussion with trucks-set-up-thread level nerdiness.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1566 on: February 28, 2019, 11:14:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Geometry, 100 percent. Turn your board on it's side and imagine a straight line between the pivot cup and
axle – the angle of that line is a big factor in how sharp trucks can turn. The steeper it is, the more turn you
get before the wheels hit the deck. I think Aces might be the turniest in that regard. There's obviously other
factors: one brand of truck can effectively shrink or extend your wheelbase. Narrower trucks turn sharper,
and therefore get less wheelbite (Indy and Thunder both make trucks that are 8.5, where as Ace 44s are actually
8.35). It would be cool if truck companies used some kind of standardized measure of turning radius on a 54mm
wheel.

Sorry to pollute this wheel discussion with trucks-set-up-thread level nerdiness.

Yeah, geometry for sure. I’m running 78A super soft bushings on Venture 5.8s
and still they’re not exactly easy to wheelbite. Sure, with the harder stock bushings
it’s even harder but it’s much more about the geometry.

Note: sorry for the wonky formatting, the reply box is fucked for me.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1567 on: February 28, 2019, 11:25:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

axle – the angle of that line is a big factor in how sharp trucks can turn. The steeper it is, the more turn you
wheel.

[close]

and still they’re not exactly easy to wheelbite. Sure, with the harder stock bushings

cool insight guys thanks! geometry def makes more sense than bushings, although i wouldn't know from experience.
im a basic bitch and have pretty much only ridden indys and 53mm wheels, but ive been trying to change that recently and experiment more.

interested in those Acid Chem 55mm 86A Pods for my "late to work/class" setup—hold the risers tho

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1568 on: March 01, 2019, 02:09:55 AM »
interesting, was having a hard time fathoming how you fellas could be running 56s on aces and getting less wheelbite than 56s on thunders when aces are considered the looser/carvier truck but i didnt take geometry into account.

man i really need to branch out from thunders.

PatoDuck

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1569 on: March 01, 2019, 07:52:30 AM »
interesting, was having a hard time fathoming how you fellas could be running 56s on aces and getting less wheelbite than 56s on thunders when aces are considered the looser/carvier truck but i didnt take geometry into account.

risers

tedkootz

• Rep: -59
  • my life be like ooh ahh
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1570 on: March 01, 2019, 08:09:12 AM »
kinda want to try the alien workshop brand clone wheels, anybody have any feedback about them?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1571 on: March 01, 2019, 08:24:40 AM »

And ACEs are 52mm tall, not so far off from Thunders yet are significantly more carving feeling due to the geo.

subparcurbslapper

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1572 on: March 01, 2019, 09:08:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

wheel.

[close]

How do you like the soft bushings in your Ventures? I've been wanting to try the same thing.

Sorry for more truck set up talk

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1573 on: March 01, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

wheel.

[close]

[close]
How do you like the soft bushings in your Ventures? I've been wanting to try the same thing.

Sorry for more truck set up talk

I like it. Very easy turning in the center, which I like. Might be way too wobbly for some people though. The turn isn’t exactly deep though. I have them on my cruiser which doesn’t require much deep turns. I briefly tried slappies with the cruiser last summer and it was so fucking weird as I had to do the approach and turn completely different than on Aces. The Venture pop makes me want to keep them and for my normal cruising use they do the job very well. If you like Ventures, getting softer bushings will just make them more easy to control with tiny movements instead of putting tons of force into it to get them to turn.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #1574 on: March 11, 2019, 06:07:20 AM »
The streets around me are all fucked up and rough. I found some keyframes, but they're 52 mm and I'm not sure they'll do the job.

Anyone got recommendations for a wheel that won't vibrate my feet into numbness if I need to skate a long distance, but won't feel too fucky if I want to ollie stuff and do some flip tricks?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1575 on: March 11, 2019, 06:43:36 AM »
The streets around me are all fucked up and rough. I found some keyframes, but they're 52 mm and I'm not sure they'll do the job.

Anyone got recommendations for a wheel that won't vibrate my feet into numbness if I need to skate a long distance, but won't feel too fucky if I want to ollie stuff and do some flip tricks?

I have the same problem around me so I went up wheel size from 54mm to 60mm (99a) spitfire classics. They are fine for skating around the city but not great for longer distances. I picked up some cheap Mini logo 58mm (90a) wheels for when I skate to and from work (around 6 miles each way) and want to ollie and do light flip tricks on the way and those actually ended up being perfect.

The size jump took some getting used used to, trick wise, but has been pretty great for speed and getting around. The 90a softness can roll over pretty much anything (unlike the 99a’s) and feels a ton better on my feet for long distance. They do have a weird bounce though, which takes some getting used to.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1576 on: March 11, 2019, 12:40:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have the same problem around me so I went up wheel size from 54mm to 60mm (99a) spitfire classics. They are fine for skating around the city but not great for longer distances. I picked up some cheap Mini logo 58mm (90a) wheels for when I skate to and from work (around 6 miles each way) and want to ollie and do light flip tricks on the way and those actually ended up being perfect.

The size jump took some getting used used to, trick wise, but has been pretty great for speed and getting around. The 90a softness can roll over pretty much anything (unlike the 99a’s) and feels a ton better on my feet for long distance. They do have a weird bounce though, which takes some getting used to.

I have 90a ML wheels too. They do have a bit of bounce to them. I´m not sure if they are 90 or a bit under actually. But i think the lack of a core in them might make them bouncier too. And sometimes it feels like they flex a little on harder turns.

I am going to get some Ricta cloud 92´s next to test. They have cores.

front3

« Reply #1577 on: March 11, 2019, 01:39:15 PM »
Tried out a set of spitfire f4 full conicals 52mm 101d. Perfect wheel in my opinion. Super easy to slide with but still feel in control. Rode them around town and they handled the shitty streets very well.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1578 on: March 11, 2019, 02:21:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have 90a ML wheels too. They do have a bit of bounce to them. I´m not sure if they are 90 or a bit under actually. But i think the lack of a core in them might make them bouncier too. And sometimes it feels like they flex a little on harder turns.

Yeah it does kind of seem like they are a bit under 90a now that you mention it. I was riding super soft 78a Ricta wheels for a couple years and the ML wheels feel only slightly harder than them. I wish they made a 95a, because the 90a are too soft to slide, but I like the shape and how they feel on the street. I was thinking about getting the Ricta 92a, but am liking the 60mm size rn and I think those only go up to 56. Please post about them if you end up getting them, I’m curious how they feel!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:25:56 PM by Sundaynuggets »

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1579 on: March 11, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i said this elsewhere but imo the 92a rictas are very rattly and you dont really get the benefits of a cruiser nor a regular wheel. i have the 90a ML in 53 and they are much smoother. i cant slide either wheel, but that could just be my lack of skillz

i assume the difference in hardness is very noticeable even if they they're close in a-rating because they use different urethane formulas. i'd believe there are more aspects to how a wheel feels than how deep you can press a pointy metal rod into it.

considering letting go of my 54mm 92a clouds if you're interested.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1580 on: March 11, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

i said this elsewhere but imo the 92a rictas are very rattly and you dont really get the benefits of a cruiser nor a regular wheel. i have the 90a ML in 53 and they are much smoother. i cant slide either wheel, but that could just be my lack of skillz

i assume the difference in hardness is very noticeable even if they they're close in a-rating because they use different urethane formulas. i'd believe there are more aspects to how a wheel feels than how deep you can press a pointy metal rod into it.

considering letting go of my 54mm 92a clouds if you're interested.

Cool, thanks for posting that!

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1581 on: March 12, 2019, 06:54:36 AM »
Thank you for your input Sundaynuggets and Weon.
Rictas will be interesting to test. Just hope the weather will allow me to go out and skate :'(

I will compare them at some point. And post about them.
Peace!

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1582 on: March 12, 2019, 06:58:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

6 miles each way? how long does that take and whats the conditions like?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1583 on: March 12, 2019, 07:50:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

6 miles each way? how long does that take and whats the conditions like?

I only do it like once or twice a week (the rest of the week I either drive in with my wife or catch the El) but without stopping to skate spots it usually takes me around 40-50 minutes or so each way. I take my time and go at a fairly casual pace though. Otherwise my legs get too beat up too fast. It typically takes longer because I’ll stop and hit spots on the way :)

It’s in Philly, so depending on which way I go the streets vary wildly from freshly paved and smooth, to horrible and torn to shreds. Right now the streets are generally awful because of the snow, construction everywhere and general disrepair. Its like skating on granola with pebbles everywhere.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:56:42 AM by Sundaynuggets »

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1584 on: March 12, 2019, 07:51:36 AM »
Thank you for your input Sundaynuggets and Weon.
Rictas will be interesting to test. Just hope the weather will allow me to go out and skate :'(

I will compare them at some point. And post about them.
Peace!

My pleasure! I hear ya, between the rain and the snow its been a pain in the ass trying to get out and skate where I am too

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #1585 on: March 12, 2019, 08:29:37 AM »
So I can assume 78a wheels will be like skating marshmallows?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1586 on: March 12, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »
So I can assume 78a wheels will be like skating marshmallows?

They generally ride very smooth. I tried a bunch of different companies 78a wheels a couple years back and I liked Ricta clouds the best. They were smoother and somehow an easier ride than the other soft wheels I tried.

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #1587 on: March 13, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »
Are Acid Chem Co. wheels any good? They’re a bit cheaper than other brands and I’m looking at a set of 56mm 82a Clean Machines for cruiser and crust purposes.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1588 on: March 14, 2019, 03:47:11 AM »
i cant vouch for acid chem co but in my experience over the last year or two of bouncing around between the higher and lower spectrum of wheel companies, generally most of the cheaper wheels don't stack up well compared to the higher priced ones and most of the time you'll just be left wishing you copped stfs or f4s. skating some fast wheel co wheels rn, 83b yet compared to stf v5s which are also 83b there's no comparison.

i suppose if it's just for a cruiser then you wont have to worry about shit like that and if they're cheap enough then by all means go for it.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1589 on: March 14, 2019, 03:53:02 AM »
How much cheaper? I’ve had 55mm 86a Acid Pods in my newest cruiser for about a week now. They do their job well, they... cruise nicely I guess? I like their width. Been happy over the last week, no complaints so far, but granted it’s early in our relationship, and theyre the softest wheels I ride regularly. They were 35 bucks which seems average to me?