Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798378 times)

bbk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2160 on: October 03, 2019, 05:48:25 PM »
yeah, that seems right! It's weird they took their pricepoint name and made in premium.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2161 on: October 05, 2019, 12:29:41 AM »
Hey guys I need some help.

After close to two decades of trying to convince my little brother to pick up a skateboard he finally wants to give it a try.

My brother is a bigger guy, 6’1” with and built like a linebacker, and his main goals are to be able to cruise the streets comfortably and to be able to ollie up and down shit.  We already decided to go with a 8.5” deck since he wears a size 13 and Found my 8-8.25s too small for him.  Probably going for a 32 length and a 14.25-14.5 WB with some Indy’s.

Now I just need to help him decide on what wheels to get. We live in Wisconsin and our roads are complete shit. I also doubt he will be going to skateparks anytime soon.

What do you guys think he should go with? I’ve always rocked 52mm 99-103A STFs and F4s so I have no personal experience with what he’s looking for.  From the little research I’ve done I’m leaning towards Ricta Clouds or some OJ Mini Super Juices.  I was thinking 54-56mm so he can cruise comfortably yet be able to learn tricks and, if he ever chooses to, easily switch to some harder and smaller wheels when he gets better.  I think the OJs would be an easier wheel for him to cruise with but the shape is my main concern.

My current top pick are 54mm Ricta Clouds but even then idk if 78A or 86A would be better.  I love STFs and F4s but I really think 99A would be too much for him to handle.  I’m open to all suggestions.

Thanks for anyone that helps, this is a big deal for me to be able to skate with my brother finally.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2162 on: October 05, 2019, 01:03:13 AM »
Thanks for anyone that helps, this is a big deal for me to be able to skate with my brother finally.

That's sick that your brother is taking up skating. I always wish I had a close family member to just cruise around with.

As you said the ground is really rough where you're currently at. Anything soft should do the trick but I don't have much experience with anything under 99a. Ricta Clouds are probably worth a look.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2163 on: October 05, 2019, 04:08:37 AM »
What about the spitfire 80hd chargers. They cruise and pick up speed though haha. Gotta be careful on hills

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2164 on: October 05, 2019, 04:17:19 AM »

After close to two decades of trying to convince my little brother to pick up a skateboard he finally wants to give it a try.

My brother is a bigger guy, 6’1” with and built like a linebacker, and his main goals are to be able to cruise the streets comfortably and to be able to ollie up and down shit.  We already decided to go with a 8.5” deck since he wears a size 13 and Found my 8-8.25s too small for him.  Probably going for a 32 length and a 14.25-14.5 WB with some Indy’s.

Now I just need to help him decide on what wheels to get. We live in Wisconsin and our roads are complete shit. I also doubt he will be going to skateparks anytime soon.

What do you guys think he should go with? I’ve always rocked 52mm 99-103A STFs and F4s so I have no personal experience with what he’s looking for.  From the little research I’ve done I’m leaning towards Ricta Clouds or some OJ Mini Super Juices.  I was thinking 54-56mm so he can cruise comfortably yet be able to learn tricks and, if he ever chooses to, easily switch to some harder and smaller wheels when he gets better.  I think the OJs would be an easier wheel for him to cruise with but the shape is my main concern.

My current top pick are 54mm Ricta Clouds but even then idk if 78A or 86A would be better.  I love STFs and F4s but I really think 99A would be too much for him to handle.  I’m open to all suggestions.

I think the Ricta clouds in 78a might be the best fit. They are comparably smooth to the Mini super juices (just slightly less smooth and fast because they are not as wide) but handle rough streets well and the shape is closer to the harder wheels you mentioned. If he starts with 78a, he can always gradually go harder to the Ricta 86a and 92a as going straight from 78a to 99/103a is a big jump and can be a lot to get used to.

That’s awesome you guys get to skate together, btw!

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2165 on: October 05, 2019, 06:24:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
does anyone ride 56mm for street skating? i ordered 56mm bones STF v5 shape I think it'll be faster and smoother, better lock on grinds having a bigger wheel but im worried that'll be heavy, and wheelbites like crazy anyone try out 56mm for street skating?
[close]
I have been using 56mm with a 1/8 risers. They are good for just about everything. I do get some nasty wheel bite coming out of slappys where there is no run out and a turn is needed after popping off the curb. My next set will be 54mm with the same risers.
[close]
Think I should get 1/4" pads then? I had to choose between 55mm and 56mm but I thought I'd go 56mm since wheels get smaller over time
[close]

You get the same clearance with 1/8” risers and 56 mm wheels as you do with 50 mm wheels with no risers. For 1/4” risers it’s the same clearance as with 44 mm wheels with no risers.
  Seems off
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2166 on: October 05, 2019, 08:10:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
does anyone ride 56mm for street skating? i ordered 56mm bones STF v5 shape I think it'll be faster and smoother, better lock on grinds having a bigger wheel but im worried that'll be heavy, and wheelbites like crazy anyone try out 56mm for street skating?
[close]
I have been using 56mm with a 1/8 risers. They are good for just about everything. I do get some nasty wheel bite coming out of slappys where there is no run out and a turn is needed after popping off the curb. My next set will be 54mm with the same risers.
[close]
Think I should get 1/4" pads then? I had to choose between 55mm and 56mm but I thought I'd go 56mm since wheels get smaller over time
[close]

You get the same clearance with 1/8” risers and 56 mm wheels as you do with 50 mm wheels with no risers. For 1/4” risers it’s the same clearance as with 44 mm wheels with no risers.
[close]
  Seems off

How?

1/8" ≈ 3 mm
1/4" ≈ 6 mm

Half of the wheel diameter is between the axle and the board. So if you put on a 3 mm riser, you can get the same clearance with a wheel 6 mm bigger.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2167 on: October 05, 2019, 08:20:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
  Seems off
[close]

How?

1/8" ≈ 3 mm
1/4" ≈ 6 mm

Half of the wheel diameter is between the axle and the board. So if you put on a 3 mm riser, you can get the same clearance with a wheel 6 mm bigger.

I was skeptical but tried this after you had posted it previously and it works for me. It's pretty sick. Thanks.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #2168 on: October 05, 2019, 12:11:55 PM »
anyone ever tried wayward? I’m thinking about pullin the trigger, but I’ve ridden nothing but spitfire for the past 15 years. worth it?
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2169 on: October 05, 2019, 01:03:04 PM »
anyone ever tried wayward? I’m thinking about pullin the trigger, but I’ve ridden nothing but spitfire for the past 15 years. worth it?

Waywards are great all terrain wheels, they felt a little slow in smooth parks for me, on transition anyway. Seemed fine for everything else. Have a spit f4 like feel to them, maybe a bit softer/grippier.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #2170 on: October 05, 2019, 01:49:59 PM »

He’s gonna need a bigger 14.75” wheelbase

Go with a 8.75” deck (bbs)
159 Indy standards with aftermarket harder blue bushings or black bushings
54-56mm 87a clouds or oj keyframes, shouldn’t need risers.
And splurge for bones Swiss

He’ll be happy and you’ll want to ride his board

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2171 on: October 05, 2019, 02:04:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

seeing a bit of a pattern. I’m 6’4” and looking foot a longer wheelbase for sure.. 14.75” seem right?

Also riding the spitfire 80hd 56mm.. big diff to those 87a clouds? Wanna downsize to 54mm too I think.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2172 on: October 05, 2019, 06:12:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
seeing a bit of a pattern. I’m 6’4” and looking foot a longer wheelbase for sure.. 14.75” seem right?

Also riding the spitfire 80hd 56mm.. big diff to those 87a clouds? Wanna downsize to 54mm too I think.

The 80hd spits suck ass. Keyframes or Clouds are 100 times smoother and better. All slide equally as bad.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2173 on: October 06, 2019, 03:40:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t need your help with anything you said other than the wheels dude. I’m not convincing someone who’s not even sure they want to continue skating to buy $60 bearings. Reds or Mini-Logos are plenty.  Stock bushings are fine for someone just learning to ride a board and if I went aftermarket I’d go Bones Hardcore. Also a 14.75 WB on a 32” deck would be regular.  A Real Full deck is like 8.5, 32.1, 14.35.  Seeing him on my 14.25 31.5 made it clear that it would be a decent length for him.

Just stop talking.  I skate dude I just don’t have experience with the wheels I’m asking about.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 03:43:04 PM by Woos »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2174 on: October 06, 2019, 04:28:59 PM »
Lol  :o

CBP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #2175 on: October 06, 2019, 04:29:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I don’t need your help with anything you said other than the wheels dude. I’m not convincing someone who’s not even sure they want to continue skating to buy $60 bearings. Reds or Mini-Logos are plenty.  Stock bushings are fine for someone just learning to ride a board and if I went aftermarket I’d go Bones Hardcore. Also a 14.75 WB on a 32” deck would be regular.  A Real Full deck is like 8.5, 32.1, 14.35.  Seeing him on my 14.25 31.5 made it clear that it would be a decent length for him.

Just stop talking.  I skate dude I just don’t have experience with the wheels I’m asking about.

Why would you hit post after typing that up?

DR EVIL

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2176 on: October 06, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
Expand Quote

i don't know if i am seeing correctly but does the inside edge look square (like sharp angle square)
i hope they are not like 80s rollerskates wheels
[close]

In that photo they are, but that's because they come out of the mold that way.  They then machine down the second side on the lathe - which is the other photo.

Full production process can be seen here.

love this shit

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2177 on: October 06, 2019, 08:35:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So what part of his post screamed aggressive to you.

He recommend those parts because you said your brother is a much bigger and heavier dude, and those parts will accommodate him and make the board feel a whole lot better.

Also AH Grant Taylor decks are 8.5" x 32.5" with a 14.75" WB.

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #2178 on: October 20, 2019, 02:22:00 AM »

Did you think about Powell G-Slides? They are fast,slide and handle rough roads quite well. I rode/slid them for approx. 2 months and they are still in good condition(only lost 3mm). I still like my Oj super juice but now I only use them for extra grip when going fast and need to slow down fast when sliding.(or for the extra smoothness when cruising, super juice are pretty fast on rough roads)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #2179 on: October 20, 2019, 07:34:21 AM »
Id consider getting some minilogo 90 a wheels just because they are cheap.  I think soon enough he'll get his legs and you can put him on some 99's in a few months. 

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2180 on: October 20, 2019, 10:45:07 AM »
Riding some ehh 56mm spitfire chargers 80hd..

Picked up F4 54mm conicals.. not sure I wanna throw em on.

I like cruisable wheels up and down my neighborhood tho. Wondering if jumping to 58mm or 60mm would be better.. or clouds or those oj’s instead.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2181 on: October 20, 2019, 11:26:19 AM »
Just put some 56mm Ricta clouds 78A on my cruiser, shit feels so good and I hardly have to push and I can still ollie and powerslides take a little more effort. I think this might be my favorite cruiser wheel now, pushing the G-slides over to 2nd.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2182 on: October 20, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »
Riding some ehh 56mm spitfire chargers 80hd..

Picked up F4 54mm conicals.. not sure I wanna throw em on.

I like cruisable wheels up and down my neighborhood tho. Wondering if jumping to 58mm or 60mm would be better.. or clouds or those oj’s instead.

Size makes much less of a difference for cruzability than duro. Some 54-56 softer wheels will me way smoother than 60mm hard wheels

PMA

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 697
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2183 on: October 20, 2019, 07:42:53 PM »
I am thinking about getting some 53mm OJ Hardline Al Davis wheels. Anyone rode these? I have Spitfire AA's right now. The OJ's any good?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2184 on: October 20, 2019, 08:39:11 PM »
I am thinking about getting some 53mm OJ Hardline Al Davis wheels. Anyone rode these? I have Spitfire AA's right now. The OJ's any good?

I rode OJs just before the formula 4s I am now on and I can tell you that...

99a for OJs feel hard and dull.
They have very little rebound and are slow.
You feel the OJs vibrate your feet more on rough roads.
They have a nice slide but not as nice as F4.

The quality of the urethane on the F4 is just so much better.

If you are looking at the elites then I have no history with those.

Maybe send OJ an email and ask them how they compare the elites to F4.

Ron Whaley used to be the product manager so it was cool getting emails from him. He seems pretty honest as well—as honest as you would expect from a company guy.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2185 on: October 20, 2019, 10:51:02 PM »
Does everyone still agree the f4 lock ins are the best shape f4’s?
yes

thebacker

« Reply #2186 on: October 21, 2019, 05:32:38 AM »

the elites are decent wheels but anything else oj makes i find abyssmal.

if you like formula fours id say stick with that

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 697
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2187 on: October 21, 2019, 06:03:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the input. Ima stick with the Conical Full.

thebacker

« Reply #2188 on: October 21, 2019, 06:11:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the input. Ima stick with the Conical Full.
shalom

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2189 on: October 21, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »
Does everyone still agree the f4 lock ins are the best shape f4’s?

You can't rotate them and expect the same performance because of the asymmetrical shape.