Author Topic: The lower back  (Read 1920 times)

Candied cigarettes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
The lower back
« on: November 29, 2023, 08:16:52 PM »
I’ve seen some other injury threads here, thought the lower back would be worth discussing. I can’t be the only one with lower back issues, so I thought it would be nice to have a place dedicated to this.

I hurt my back late last summer and since then it’s been a consistent issue. It was basically 2 days of long intense bike rides without any stretching, and then sitting on it for too long. I started skating again too soon (i know, rookie error) and had a big flare up about a month ago.

Since then, I’ve been seeing a physical therapist. It’s been about 4 weeks of consistent PT twice a day and i almost feel like I’m getting worse. I’m kinda over this physical therapist, i talked in depth about what i was feeling today and she really just added exercises. I asked about anti inflammatory meds and she did not recommend them even though i told her they helped a lot last time. Tomorrow I’m gonna call my doctor and get a prescription to some medication despite that. I need to do something different given the last month.

What’s worked for you, what hasn’t? Any other tips you’d like to share?

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
Re: The lower back
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 08:35:32 PM »
I’m no medical man but it sounds like your physical therapist is pushing too hard when you should be resting. Other than that shoes with an actual midsole help me out
fuck you bama

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 862
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 09:00:36 PM »
Back and neck have been varying degrees of fucked for 13+ years. I also usually feel better without doing the therapy BUT since it's been so long and never really has gotten better (just tolerable) can't help but think I should keep looking for something else that will work.

remember that everyone has a different body with a different issue and different lifestyle so you can't just go all out on what some random says. You could fuck your back even worse.

For something easy that I don't think can fuck anyone up I'd say look up correct walking and running technique. I suggest this a lot and i don't think anyone ever does it because it sounds dumb but many people don't walk (or especially run) properly and it's pretty easy to fix.

And don't do sit ups and crunches and shit.

heinzketchup

• Rep: 55
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 12:22:04 AM »
had some problems too couple weeks ago
it starts really out of nowhere and i feel really stiff and cant move like i want to
i did a lot of stretching with guidance of youtube videos but still skated a little bit which was stupid as fuck
what really helped for me was resting and light movements. i think i will have more problems in the future, need to figure something out for sure

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 02:58:21 AM »
I've had my deal with lower back pain but nothing serious I guess

Some exercises helped me a lot and now I practice a wake up routine every morning after climbing out of bed that has been helping me

What I got from listening to a couple guys and my buddy specially since he has a hernia on his lower back is that the stronger your core is then your back will "carry" less weight if it makes sense. Try a bunch of different planks for some weeks and see if it helps you. I started by doing 1 minute planks which then progressed to 2 minutes everyday and it really helped with backpain

finecojeffe

• Rep: 131
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 05:30:55 AM »
I herniated discs, L4, L5, and S1 back in 2004. It's been a battle since then. I've had a few procedures done with no actual benefit (radiofrequency in 6 locations, and multiple epidurals). I've stopped seeking that avenue though and don't want to get major surgery either. I've been very fit my whole life, so exercises have been difficult to find what works best for me as it seems to change through the years. Lately I've been warming up every time I exercise with this routine which has probably been the most beneficial:

• joint mobility series (rolling joints around to loosen them up lightly)
• jumping jacks or jog in place for 5 min, fairly low intensity just to get heart rate up

• 3 sets / superset:
(10) desi pushups (that's what I call them at least) These are a staple in Indian wrestling workouts. It's basically like a track start position where you push forward then drop your hips to the floor like in cobra position, then reverse it for a count of 1.

(10) table twist

(20) seated leg lifts (these are pretty difficult if youve never done them before but worth getting it)

then I just go into whatever workout I have that day.

I also add dead hangs any chance I can get.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 04:49:21 AM »
Ive got a herniated disc and it's fucking hell on earth. Every day there's a few times where I just collapse and by the end of the day i'm just cookedd from the constant heavy pain.  It really fucks with my mood and mental well being too.  Done physio, stretches, yoga but know I just need to really work on strengthening my core without fucking with my back to support it. 

fernando the skater

• Rep: 120
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 01:15:40 AM »
I've been managing herniated disc pain for years. The main things that work for me are: always sleeping on my back, never on the front or side. With a hard mattress, or floor when it's particularly bad, being the best. And doing this stretch.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 131
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 05:31:55 AM »
I've been managing herniated disc pain for years. The main things that work for me are: always sleeping on my back, never on the front or side. With a hard mattress, or floor when it's particularly bad, being the best. And doing this stretch.

try the series I posted above. Tha stretch is included in the first portions. It's been a real game changer for me in dealing with this for nearly 20 years now.

peterpenis

• Rep: 8
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 12:40:35 AM »
This can do wonders:

also worth exploring the channel.

I also like the stuff this guy puts out:

Slaps collective love for padded cupsoles tells me our feet are pretty fucked. If vulcs are making your feet hurt this might be an indication to work on your feet. They can effect your whole posture.

Even though he is annoying, the KneesOverToes guy has some good stuff

Move around, work on your core, squats. The older we get the more we have to work to keep skating. But it'll make feel better in general :)

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2023, 02:38:30 AM »
IMS/dry needling worked absolute wonders for my lower back pain a couple years ago, it was all but gone after a couple of sessions...and it had bothered me for months prior to that.

Highly recommend it as a treatment if you can find somewhere that offers it...it looks like it's prohibited in 4 US states for some reason.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2023, 03:07:31 AM »
What always helps me is a mix of light exercises and stretching. Do them regularly and don’t push it. Ideally you do both videos every other day. You can go harder once you are completely pain free.

These two exercise videos have helped me a lot. They are in German, but the exercises are fairly self-explanatory.

First do this light mobility exercise

https://youtu.be/KMINnqHfMOM?si=f9ZgaGjtr0bo55fV

Then this light core and back routine

https://youtu.be/EKJoeNhkNzU?si=2yQ_xt6qTQRC7yjk

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2023, 07:39:14 PM »
Degenerative Arthritis of the Spine.  Awesome.

Strengthening my core with some yoga, and a minute of planks almost every night really helps.  NOT taking impact helps (so no jumping off shit). 

hot Epsom Salt baths (with Menthol even better: Sports Mr Teags or something like that)

Anti-Inflammatory Meloxicam helped.... and wouldn't you know it? It completely cured my aching knee.  COMPLETELY.  it was so weird, I didn't even get it for my knee but it stopped acutely hurting.

Sttreeeeeeetch. especially your butt; and also get really good at touching your toes.  The flexibility in those two places will help alleviate back pain.   I've gotten to wear I can lift my leg up onto a trashcan and touch my toes... The Physical Therpaist says those stretches help.

funny story: when I went in for PT the first time, they wanted to strengthen my core, and had to do some intro tests to see where I was at with strength.   They asked me to try something, I couldn't.  They asked me to try something else, I coudn't.   The PT said "ooookay, let's try something really easy"..... Couldn't do that either.  So, she laughed and said "you have zero core muscles.  let's start at the very beginning"
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

033sb

• Rep: 13
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2023, 11:43:42 AM »
what for me a big gamechanger was, was my bed! My mattress was way to soft so i bought hard one and it has helped so much. I also did a scan of my spine and the doctor told me which muscles I should train. I did this and my back problems are gone. Still stretching a lot.

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 5
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2023, 06:07:42 AM »
My hips (especially left) and lower back are currently fucked from a decade+ of sitting at a computer for work coupled with restarted skating a few years ago.

I had the same experience with PT. I’ve done three stints at two different places and always was in worse pain for the days after a session or the day after doing the “homework”.

Cortisone shot did the trick but only lasted 6 weeks. I’m still trying to help it with stretching and strengthening but in the new year I’m gonna suck it up and pay out of pocket for PRP injections. Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 07:56:02 AM by herecomesaregular »

hikyle2

• Rep: 13
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2023, 09:35:44 AM »
Figured I would just comment saying I’m in the same boat.  Bent down to do a trick when I was like 27 and it popped out of place.  Now I’m 40 and it still goes out maybe once a year.   I do a lot of core work but unless I’m stretching regularly it always pops out of  place.  I ride bikes a lot and while that is good, it makes my hips super tight and that in turn pulls my back out of wack.  I assume falling for years on a board was terrible for us as you are usually twisting your body and then smashing it into concrete, which your back takes the force without core strength.   I am always told to go to Pilates, which is all about core, can’t say I hate being the only dude in a class sometimes but it can be awkward. 

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2024, 06:30:51 PM »
Curious if any of yall have experience with degenerative disc disease.

I got a diagnosis yesterday and my doctor basically said keep doing what you’re doing, take more pills, and didn’t even suggest physical therapy. It’s pretty clear i need to manage this on my own. I found some exercises on YouTube that I’m going to try out. I just bought a infrared heat pad which I heard are super helpful.

Any other tips- exercise based or not, that have worked for you?

Obijuan91

• Rep: 21
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2024, 06:56:23 PM »
Have you tried chiropractor? I been dealing with whiplash for over a year, workers comp. PT helped for a bit but it has its limits before all it does is make you sore in my experience. Started seeing the chiropractor recently and I’ve started to feel some more relief. Might be a while before I get back to 100 but it was better than being told to do exercises that were causing more pain.

guyledouche

• Rep: -25
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2024, 07:23:23 PM »
You didn't mention exactly what was hurt with your lower back, but in my case I've had lower back issues since I was 19 (43 now). I think it started from falling a lot when I used to just huck it down sets when I was 16 or 17 instead of learning ledge tricks and board control (thanks Zero). Sometimes it would just spasm and lock up. Over the years every once in a while I would twist weirdly or do something dumb like a cartwheel or go straight to doing fakie tricks at 7am in the middle of winter in NY. One time it happened while I was leaning to the side to check if my coffee was done brewing. I had it x-rayed 20 years ago and they said it was nothing. I had it x-rayed again this year and I was told I have a slipped disc.

What has helped me the most is doing a full body work out 1-2 days a week. I also stretch pretty often. Nothing too regimented... I just stretch a little every day. Before skating I always warm up my hips and legs doing dynamic stretches (I watched 10 years ago and have been doing a similar routine ever since).

In my case if I do that cobra pose, if I do romanian deadlifts with bad form, or land tricks without bending my knees to absorb pressure it'll flare up again and my sciatic nerve will fire signals to my foot for the next few days.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2024, 07:44:45 PM »
Curious if any of yall have experience with degenerative disc disease.

I got a diagnosis yesterday and my doctor basically said keep doing what you’re doing, take more pills, and didn’t even suggest physical therapy. It’s pretty clear i need to manage this on my own. I found some exercises on YouTube that I’m going to try out. I just bought a infrared heat pad which I heard are super helpful.

Any other tips- exercise based or not, that have worked for you?
My pain doctor three years ago said that Meloxicam could help with anti inflammatory, but it did nothing for my back (see my post above).

He did say that I basically need to strengthen all the muscles that support the part of back that hurts. The muscles are so important to us as we age, because it’s the muscles that are holding all the bones and achey joints up.

My lower back pain is still just in management mode. The next step would be cortisone shots, and then back surgery.

The exercises I do are constantly flexing the… can’t remember… basically it’s the two muscles below your belt line that point at your crotch. If you keep those flexed all the time while your sitting or standing, it’ll strengthen up the part or core that supports the lower back.

Also, I try to do a minute of planks every night.

I’m sure any other core exercise would be great for lower back.

Also, the flexing that lower stomach muscle mentioned above will help stabilize the back and assist with shock absorption: like on roller coasters or anything where you’ll be landing hard on your seat.

Also, POSTURE. Sit up straight all the time. As much as possible. Stand straight too.

Hope that helped.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 05:01:58 PM by JM »

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2024, 09:36:35 PM »
Thanks yall for the advice! I heard a infrared heat pad can do a lot so i just bought one. I’ll start doing that, followed by some light core exercises every day. I’m also gonna try a hot tub every morning followed by stretching and light core work. Between those two things, hopefully I improve.

I think what’s so difficult here is that active pain management is still new to me. This is my first “big” injury- although the pain is mild it’s lasted 5 months, and with other injuries it’s been a lot more simple and sequential.

I was talking to my aunt about it and she was saying this sucks in the moment but it’s better to have a come to jesus wake up call while i’m still relatively young. I’m 30, and I’ll admit when i got injured i was piling out- not exercising, drinking too much, etc. i’ve since adopted healthier habits- intermittent fasting, mostly plant based whole foods diet, regular movement/exercise, so when i eventually get better hopefully the next injury won’t be nearly as long lasting

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2024, 05:05:38 PM »
Thanks yall for the advice! I heard a infrared heat pad can do a lot so i just bought one. I’ll start doing that, followed by some light core exercises every day. I’m also gonna try a hot tub every morning followed by stretching and light core work. Between those two things, hopefully I improve.

I think what’s so difficult here is that active pain management is still new to me. This is my first “big” injury- although the pain is mild it’s lasted 5 months, and with other injuries it’s been a lot more simple and sequential.

I was talking to my aunt about it and she was saying this sucks in the moment but it’s better to have a come to jesus wake up call while i’m still relatively young. I’m 30, and I’ll admit when i got injured i was piling out- not exercising, drinking too much, etc. i’ve since adopted healthier habits- intermittent fasting, mostly plant based whole foods diet, regular movement/exercise, so when i eventually get better hopefully the next injury won’t be nearly as long lasting
That’s the most postive outlook on “getting old sucks” I’ve ever heard.

I guess being thankful for hurting ourselves while younger, as opposed to way later, is a blessing.

Thank you skateboarding.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2024, 03:07:47 AM »
I've had six years of chronic knee and back pain. The first year I was prescribed a bunch of variations of squats and calf raises. Did them religiously. The pain only got worse, my osteopathic surgeon convinced me to do a bilateral plica resection. It was useless and expensive, and the pain and lack of mobility was worse after.

Moved to Ohio and was prescribed a lot of hip band exercises by a physical therapist, didn't do shit. Did those things for a year and a half too. She grew frustrated with me and thought I was skipping my exercises. So I stopped going.

Next, I did that wack-ass Ben Patrick Scientologist Kneesovertoesguy program. Mobility improved but joint pain increased. Did this for about a year as well. I gave up and accepted I'd always be in pain. I'd just stretch and skate and ride my bike regardless of how bad things hurt. 

Recently, I read that single-leg deadlifts decrease knee and back pain. So I've been going hard with them, the last two months I've been slowly upping the weight, and I've seen a lot of improvement in mobility and pain reduction. I also invested in a used olympic bar and Oly weights (345 pounds) and added a bunch of daily hipthrusts. My hammies and glutes never felt like they'd engage before and my quads were huge and muscular, but I'm slowly balancing muscle groups out, and can now feel my glutes work when I push or ride my bike. Pain went from a constant 6/10 to 2/10. Huge quality of life improvement, I can walk more than three miles without it feeling like there are hot lava rocks in my knees and lower back.

Straight to the point (apologies if the post is too long): don't neglect your posterior chain

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2024, 07:05:54 AM »
18 years of heavy back pain (2 herniated discs). When my back gave out, I’d be fucked for months, not weeks.

Tried everything: PT, Chiro, inversion table, yoga, pills, home workouts, Youtube, sitting down and doing nothing, accupunture, massage gun etc…

The worst thing was not moving. It sounds counter-intuitive because back pain sucks, but you have to keep moving, even a small walk will help.

Don’t pile out on the couch, it’ll only make things worse.

The biggest game changer for me was hiring a kinesiologist as a private trainer in a gym. Started very light a year ago and gradually increased the intensity/weight over time leading into full-blown weightlifting.

It’s been a year and most days it feels like I’m 16 again, yet I’m about to turn 35. My posture has never been straighter, it feels like I’m taller.

My lower back, core, glutes and quads have never been this strong. Stronger than when I was skating everyday. Shit my friends keep telling me how much better I look now. Also, I’m no longer afraid of moving thinking my back will give out. I am also much more aware of what movements trigger back pain. I also have less injuries when skating or doing BJJ.

It’s expensive but pretty much gave me my youth back.

I also stretch everyday, foam roll every morning and evening after work or BJJ, and once a month I get a gnarly deep-tissue massage.

Do I still get stiff during big work days ? Yeah, but at least it doesn’t feel like I’m crippled anymore.

If you can afford it, look in your area and see if you have any gyms that have back rehab programs. Your work insurance might cover some of it, I know mine does.

Wish I’d done it sooner.

(Apologies for the long-ass post, but back pain is something I’ve become real fucking passionate about after suffering for so long)

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2024, 06:24:56 PM »
every single day before I get out of bed:

happy baby pose,

grab my toes and stretch out the legs,

60 seconds elevating my heels/plank

total easy 3-5 minutes and makes a world difference

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2024, 04:52:50 PM »
Be careful (full of care) for that back, holmes.

Look into exercises that lengthen and strengthen the psoas major by working the nerve. They are almost passive. There may be a “nerve glide” video connected to my account via post history somewhere. Psoas major wraps around the hip from lumbar spine and connects to pelvis, controlling left to right, forward and backward bending, and circular/twisting movements through the “hip/pelvis/low back” region.

Practice sitting up and focus on posture by sitting back against the wall, perhaps with a blanket under your rear to give the pelvis a slight anterior tilt, straightening the spine and aligning your joints. While doing this, subtly engage core muscles. Try for 1 minute, then 2, and so on. Make sure to keep thr neck and shoulders relaxed because there is no need to strain them for the sake of something else.

Others have mentioned learning about how to walk correctly and its worth hiring someone to teach this in person. Pronation and supination are natural but we tend to take them to the extreme ends and throw ankles, knees, hips, lumbar out of wack, creating unnecessary pain. Look at the soles of your shows and see which side is more worn at the heel.

Last, as a longtime yoga instructor, whose current focus is on restorative and therapeutic practices, pleasepleaseplease be careful with the cobra/bhujangasana pose people are offering up. Its not the best way to lengthen the spine or provide traction. its actually contraindicated for low back/spine/bone issues as it can have the tendency to compress that area. Just look at photos and imagine the vertebrae getting closer to one another down there. This is mostly due to pressing into the floor with the hands and lifting up, thereby cranking the back further than it needs to go. If you wish to try something similar, look into locust pose

DM me if you want and i can look into my notes
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2024, 07:38:11 AM »
Off topic but my neck is fucked up since mid-january and never made a full recovery

It's not preventing me from a normal day to day but it can be frustrating because the pain it's constantly there if I make sudden moves

It's on the left side and I've tried stretching it and iboprufen for 5 days straight recommended by the doctor but no avail yet

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2024, 07:50:33 AM »
Off topic but my neck is fucked up since mid-january and never made a full recovery

It's not preventing me from a normal day to day but it can be frustrating because the pain it's constantly there if I make sudden moves

It's on the left side and I've tried stretching it and iboprufen for 5 days straight recommended by the doctor but no avail yet

Massage can help, spens the dough if you can
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2024, 09:57:07 PM »

Try doing some varied neck & upper back yoga every day.  I get really sore hips & shoulders and when they're really bad I just look for hips or shoulder or neck yoga from this Kassandra, and it sorts me out.  Worth a shot, as it can both stretch and strengthen the area if you do it regularly.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2024, 11:49:19 PM »
Every time I start my day with some weighted hip thrusts and focus on the glute squeeze, it feels like I have a whole day of better posture and better alignment. I gotta start doin 'em more.