Author Topic: Anybody Snow Skate?  (Read 1609 times)

doomstation55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 898
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
Anybody Snow Skate?
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:02:11 PM »
I'll get this out of the way from the start, it's not skateboarding and it's total kook shit. Only snowboarder fags do it. Why not just skateboard? Etc.

I gotta say it looks kinda cool. My roommate threw on this snow skate video and I was surprised how sick it was. I get bored watching snowboard stuff for the most part, but I watched this whole video and enjoyed it.

Was also very surprised that Dave Engerer (from the Pyramid videos) had second to last part and kinda killed it. HIs part starts at like 17:50 if you don't wanna watch the whole thing. HEre's his part from Exeter too.

Well there's currently a blizzard happening in Denver and we've gotten like 6 inches since 7 AM. Was thinking about taking my roommate's snow skate for a whirl somewhere. It has obvious disadvantages compared to skateboarding in that I"ll have to shovel a hill or something to get speed, but I think it might be fun to go to this 5 stair near me. Anybody snow skate on here?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Anybody Snow Skate?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »
Occasionally, it's insane how good people got at it. It's fun and inexpensive, those Ambition guys are making a killing they're the only brand I think

Rails and big drops are really fun

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 05:56:46 PM »
there must have been a huge advancement in snowskate technology because when me and my friends messed around with them in highschool, we were doing ride-on slides on flat bars and shuv its. it was always fun, but there were no flip tricks and definitely no ollies and you needed a hill or some kind of drop in if you wanted to go more than 10 feet. david engerer is a local where im from and the shop he skates for always posts his snowskate videos, so ive seen what those guys can do and its pretty amazing.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 06:23:47 PM »
Nobody can hate on that, I used to snowskate alot when I was a kid (during the premier/forum promo days) and it was just as fun as skateboarding for me, at the time. I bought an ambition 8.5 snowskate last winter to fuck around.... Could not even fuckin' ollie over an object! The act of moving and doing a simple was so hard for me, I lost total motivation for it. The only thing I managed to do after a weekend we're slappy slides and shove-its variations.

I don't even know how they jump on rails and stuff, I just kept dragging my toes/heels on the ground and it would stop me instantly.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 898
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 11:36:43 PM »
Well, it's definitely harder than expected. And I was expected it to be difficult, but it was fun. I may have had a shitty snow skate, but I could only ride down the stairs. I tried ollies and kf's but got nothing. I guess you can't learn it in an evening.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 07:37:06 PM »
I've ridden my surfboard in steep and deep snow.  Make a deep snow skate outta some wood with some mini fins in the back and put rubber or surf wax on top.  (without bindings the fins help give control.)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:39:26 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Eric ricks

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 08:15:53 PM »
My bud snowskates and is very good. Fuckin amazing watching the shit he does.

Hes convinced me to buy some boards for the kids and I next winter.

I know we will suck but it sure looks like fun!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 11:00:21 PM »
I saw a snurfer for $100 and if I see it on sale I'll get one.....

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 12:58:14 AM »
I think it looks pretty fun but also watching that video could be very deceiving to a skateboarder because you might think you could transfer what you do in a skateboard to a snowskate in a short amount of time but it probably takes a whole different set of muscle memory.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 03:08:33 AM »
it's sick what they're doing with their snowskates

10 years ago i bought this snow deck on sale.

a friend and i would build kickers and stuff, put flatrails and benches on snowy streets and make lines there. definitely funny as well. ollies, kickflips, shuvit variations and nollie heelflips were fine, due to the leverage you could build up with the tail/nose of the mini-snowboard haha

too bad, that winter's already over over here, would have been fun to reactivate that thing. it's been a while haha
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:10:17 AM by somethingmustbreaknow »

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 04:19:01 AM »
After landings of the first dude haha ..........couldn't concentrate on anything he was doing after noticing.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 05:58:27 AM »

those are those thing with the flat tails, no bindings and a rope attached to the nose, right? i have a cheap plastic one as a kid and it was so fun. no turning, just straight bombing.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 01:43:50 PM »
The transition is pretty easy actually... You don't really flick for flip tricks, more like the Rodney Mullen kick-DOWN maneuver..

The pros use spikes on their grip, it's like a 50$ option lol

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

those are those thing with the flat tails, no bindings and a rope attached to the nose, right? i have a cheap plastic one as a kid and it was so fun. no turning, just straight bombing.

Yah burton makes one.....just seems like it would be rad dropping some driveways in alleys when it snows.....dudes noboard now which is up the same alley....

I flat water skim sometimes at the beach....it's kinda fun to do big spins.....but it's kinda like jumping on a cafeteria tray.....