Author Topic: Let Me Explain What I Don't Like About Yu  (Read 2373 times)

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
    • My Wife avatar image
Let Me Explain What I Don't Like About Yu
« on: April 30, 2024, 11:23:58 PM »
to Horigome

Absolutely nothing.

He is, bar none, the best skater to emerge on the scene in the past 10 to 15 years.

He's got it all: the dope style, the fly clothes, the skills to pay the bills, the contest wins, big shit, tech shit, he makes it all look effortless. And he just takes the high road, doesn't need to say anything, we get the point.

I love the haircut too -- and understand him riding it till the wheels fall of -- but would be interested to see how his hairstyle progresses. Maybe a shaved head? Maybe long flowing locks? What will he do next?

It's a major injustice that he's not a SOTY yet.

If loving Yuto is wrong, I don't ever wanna be right.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 12:28:38 AM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Dad Board

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
Re: Let Me Explain What I Don't Like About Yu
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 11:35:41 PM »
His skating is flawless to a point where I involuntarily tune out sometimes. I put him, Ishod & Louie in the same bracket, but with Yuto it’s like watching a video game character that doesn’t have to abide by the same laws of physics. Even when he falls it’s like he’s in total control. Maybe because he doesn’t show much emotion and that hits some part of my lizard brain in a weird way but I just don’t get hyped watching him the way I do skaters of similar skill.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 11:43:12 PM »
I read the thread title as “Let Me Explain What I Don't Like About You” and thought that was pretty dope

Shtonk

• Rep: -420
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 11:49:56 PM »
I only started to really like him after his Tokyo part, validated him in my eyes as a street skater perfectly tuned to his native surroundings. The prior LA clip was ass. I was disappointed that he didn't follow the Tokyo clip up with another banging part to take home soty in uncontested fashion. Instead he gave us a mid-ass soty season and I'm a little bit angry with him for that but then they go to a close-up portrait before he starts his run and I fall back in love. I wonder what his daily life is like. Does he feel real happiness?

Shtonk

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 11:50:32 PM »
I read the thread title as “Let Me Explain What I Don't Like About You” and thought that was pretty dope

Almost like it's intentional

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 12:59:00 AM »
You have to cross the atlantic by ship with one of the SLS contestants / announcers / judges.

Who would it be?

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 01:07:40 AM »
You have to cross the atlantic by ship with one of the SLS contestants / announcers / judges.

Who would it be?

Easy: Yuto. No question.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

lurkluke

• Rep: 189
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 01:30:43 AM »
Feel like his parts have been equally incredible and also I expect more. Would love to see a vert/streettransition part from him too. We know he has it in him

Shtonk

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2024, 01:32:20 AM »
Feel like his parts have been equally incredible and also I expect more. Would love to see a vert/streettransition part from him too. We know he has it in him

GT Yuto split part. We can dream.

garforth

• Rep: 2
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 01:35:18 AM »

Who would it be?

dashawn, seems like a fun guy who could also pilot a ship in an emergency

lurkluke

• Rep: 189
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2024, 02:48:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

GT Yuto split part. We can dream.

Transition part with GT and street part with Guy?

sle_epy

• Rep: -96
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2024, 04:49:43 AM »
His skating is flawless to a point where I involuntarily tune out sometimes. I put him, Ishod & Louie in the same bracket, but with Yuto it’s like watching a video game character that doesn’t have to abide by the same laws of physics. Even when he falls it’s like he’s in total control. Maybe because he doesn’t show much emotion and that hits some part of my lizard brain in a weird way but I just don’t get hyped watching him the way I do skaters of similar skill.

He's very good obv and has dope style, clothes, etc but yea. I can only watch so much because he's so so good that it's completely unrelatable and I lose interest pretty quick. I also don't give a shit about SLS, but his street stuff is good. It's kinda like nyjah parts, watch em once be like wow that's crazy and never watch them again.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 48
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2024, 06:17:02 AM »
I only started to really like him after his Tokyo part, validated him in my eyes as a street skater perfectly tuned to his native surroundings. The prior LA clip was ass. I was disappointed that he didn't follow the Tokyo clip up with another banging part to take home soty in uncontested fashion. Instead he gave us a mid-ass soty season and I'm a little bit angry with him for that but then they go to a close-up portrait before he starts his run and I fall back in love. I wonder what his daily life is like. Does he feel real happiness?

didn't he say recently that he has been drinking too much and there for not being skating at the expected level? Not like an alcoholic but just too much as a top pro could be once a week or something and that affects his ability to skate at the highest level.

Either way, he is a generational talent and it would be cool to see him push him self and not waste it like many others before him and not getting the max out of a carrier. I know this goes against the spirit of skating, and Yuto should do what he wants, but if that is to push him self then good for him.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2024, 06:41:22 AM »
He can skate vert and do mctwists which is really sick on top of everything else. Also he seems really silly. There’s a good amount of pictures and little video clips of him being silly drunk.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2024, 06:55:57 AM »
Is it exciting to watch his parts? No.

Does it get me stoked? No, cause I can’t do anything close to it.

Is it impressive and make me gawk and clap like a seal? Yes. Yes it does.

And I think I need to be in the mood to watch a classical concert with the best violinist in the world.

I think I’d rather go to a rock show at a cool standing room only small outdoor venue.

But he will forever have my respect for crooked grinding this deceptively difficult crusty ground ditch to ledge spot on a Nike tour here in town.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2024, 07:09:37 AM »
His Tokyo part made me respect him a lot more and not just view him as some sort of cyborg contest skater. But yeah, he has ridics tranny skills too and if mixed some of that in with some more creative spots/ tricks it would give a bit more of a “personality” as a pro…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2024, 09:01:45 AM »
Yuto is untouchable.

I like the idea of a GT/Yuto part.  Or even just a Cold Call segment where GT and Yuto go tit for tat on a vert ramp.

Has Grant ever had a clip doing a 540/mctwist?

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 639
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2024, 09:12:31 AM »
Yuto is the only SLS/Olympic skater whose footage I will watch.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Dad Board

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 10:28:12 AM »
Yuto is the only SLS/Olympic skater whose footage I will watch.

Not even Vincent?

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 10:55:40 AM »
i still go back to his VX part

diplodocus

• Rep: 159
  • long neck
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 11:34:31 AM »
Love that he skates the streets. Don't really care for the olympic stuff but hey get your bread

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2024, 11:59:08 AM »
Yuto is untouchable.

I like the idea of a GT/Yuto part.  Or even just a Cold Call segment where GT and Yuto go tit for tat on a vert ramp.

Not sure about GT but Yuto started out as a vert skater, here he is 12 years old doing back to back 540's, switch frontside stalefish and fakie 540s:

https://youtu.be/Cb5jb5XtQog?si=s_if6_mD8pXMAOfM

work_lurker

• Rep: 92
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 12:34:44 PM »
Yuto is untouchable.

I met Yuto at a skatepark in LA like 4 or 5 years ago and I touched him there. It was some knuckles for back noseblunting the hubba, but I still count it as touching him. Reynolds was there that same day with his parents, and I think they all saw me touching Yuto too.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Dad Board

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2024, 12:48:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Yuto is untouchable.

[close]

I met Yuto at a skatepark in LA like 4 or 5 years ago and I touched him there. It was some knuckles for back noseblunting the hubba, but I still count it as touching him. Reynolds was there that same day with his parents, and I think they all saw me touching Yuto too.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2024, 01:10:49 PM »
I had a weird dream where Yuto did a padless 900. Would be sick if he was the first street skater to do a 9.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2024, 01:17:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Yuto is untouchable.

[close]

I stand corrected. Congrats on having Reynolds see you touch Yuto! I hope you wrote that in your diary, I know I would have

Not sure about GT but Yuto started out as a vert skater, here he is 12 years old doing back to back 540's, switch frontside stalefish and fakie 540s:

https://youtu.be/Cb5jb5XtQog?si=s_if6_mD8pXMAOfM

Oh yeah, I know Yuto has the vert skills. His lein airs are works of wonder. There's a shot in his most recent Thrasher article doing one, and the board is laid flat against his legs, tailboned, and boosted to the sky.

I just like the dichotomy between Grant's approach and Yuto's approach and think that would a fun watch.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 900
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2024, 02:58:54 PM »
Yeah, I like “Yuto”

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2024, 03:45:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Yuto is untouchable.

[close]

I’m turning this into copypasta.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2024, 05:38:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Yuto is untouchable.

[close]

At the skatepark, before work, touching a skater in front of another skater and their parents. You’ve got it together, for real, my G.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Ninj2

• Rep: -93
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2024, 06:23:57 PM »
Ed lawnsale pick in re re
And act like we don’t notices
Young cutie Ed.
He can do a mc twist. And HomePod