Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 543521 times)

animalflesh

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1140 on: May 01, 2020, 07:51:30 AM »
If I’m riding a popsicle I like board to be maximum the same size as my trucks, but I’ll go down as low as 1/2 in below my truck axle size

For shaped boards I’ll do anything from 1/4 bigger on my trucks than the measurement over the truck mounting holes or I’ll even do trucks the same size as the widest part of the board

It feels great honestly

Uncle Poseur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #1141 on: May 01, 2020, 10:05:21 AM »
If I’m riding a popsicle I like board to be maximum the same size as my trucks, but I’ll go down as low as 1/2 in below my truck axle size

For shaped boards I’ll do anything from 1/4 bigger on my trucks than the measurement over the truck mounting holes or I’ll even do trucks the same size as the widest part of the board

It feels great honestly

Depends on the wheels too. I ride a 10 inch with Indy 169s, but I ride either Ricta Clouds or Hosoi Rockets, so the extra wheel width fills in the space nicely.

KindaBoard

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #1142 on: May 01, 2020, 08:59:26 PM »
Thanks to everyone's suggestions so far, I didn't even know Black Label made a 10" wide board, quickly got added to the wishlist. Shout out to Onevia for digging up photos of the Old Yeller with 215s, matches the requirements of what I'm looking for but a little hesitant about skating a 16" wheelbase. If anyone has experience with an Old Yeller, would be hyped to hear your feedback. Probably should be posting this in "Gear you're contemplating buying?" but here we are. Currently trying to decide from these three:

- Antihero Old Yeller
- Black Label Lucero Racing Stripe
- Heroin Curb Crusher
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:03:56 PM by KindaBoard »

JB77

« Reply #1143 on: May 02, 2020, 01:38:41 PM »
Big fella...

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1144 on: May 02, 2020, 05:12:40 PM »
Big fella...

18.75 wheelbase? Holy shit, you're a wild man! What trucks and wheels you rockin there? Think I see Indy 169s?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1145 on: May 02, 2020, 05:45:34 PM »
Big fella...

never thought id want to try a longboard again but you posted this...
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1146 on: May 02, 2020, 06:27:01 PM »
Big fella...

You're gonna have people at the spot asking you for your board to measure shit

JB77

« Reply #1147 on: May 02, 2020, 06:55:30 PM »
Yep, 169’s.  Street Plant wheels, 62mm/85a.  Thanks, y’all! 

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1148 on: May 02, 2020, 07:40:45 PM »
S/O to y’all for posting my Ol Yeller lol

I recently upgraded to 60 Classics. The wheelbite is a MF so I need some risers. The wheelbite with the 56s was very minimal but it’s unbearable with the 60s.

And the 215s fit it perfectly. It stands up perfectly when in primo and doesn’t hot rod or Frankenstein at all.

I also skate a Cab Dragon with Doom Sayer 159s and the 56s. I occasionally swap them with 58 80HDs.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1149 on: May 02, 2020, 08:34:45 PM »

I recently upgraded to 60 Classics. The wheelbite is a MF so I need some risers. The wheelbite with the 56s was very minimal but it’s unbearable with the 60s.

And the 215s fit it perfectly. It stands up perfectly when in primo and doesn’t hot rod or Frankenstein at all.

I also skate a Cab Dragon with Doom Sayer 159s and the 56s. I occasionally swap them with 58 80HDs.

How you like the dragon?
Was one of my very first. Almost looks like 149s could work...

Shalom Peterson

« Reply #1150 on: May 02, 2020, 08:48:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How you like the dragon?
Was one of my very first. Almost looks like 149s could work...

I love it. The 159s are perfect. I had 169s on it originally and would occasionally kick the back wheel when pushing. I have used 149s but with fat OJ Juice type wheels. That was also a fun set up

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1151 on: May 02, 2020, 08:54:17 PM »
Cheers! Thanks for advice. Can shape is great, haven’t seen it for awhile

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1152 on: May 03, 2020, 12:32:21 AM »
I’m absolutely vibing on that big yella!!!

Anyone know of GGI skates? Made at Watson Laminates, got some real big boys. Been eyeing one of these

PEGASUS-2 10.25x31
Wheelbase either 16 or 15.25
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 12:35:26 AM by radcunt »

animalflesh

« Reply #1153 on: May 03, 2020, 03:43:48 PM »
I used to skate some GGI boards

Skated the ssps for awhile (shout out to porkchop)

Great boards... very crazy construction

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1154 on: May 03, 2020, 06:07:28 PM »

How is the Ol Yeller? It’s it super cumbersome or can you smash some curbs on it still?  I’m into it but wanna know how it feels somehow .

You get risers on it with the 60s yet? What 60s did you get? I’m torn between soft and hard wheels
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 07:05:11 PM by radcunt »

Shalom Peterson

« Reply #1155 on: May 03, 2020, 07:57:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How is the Ol Yeller? It’s it super cumbersome or can you smash some curbs on it still?  I’m into it but wanna know how it feels somehow .

You get risers on it with the 60s yet? What 60s did you get? I’m torn between soft and hard wheels

No, I’m gonna order some risers thru eBay or see if my friends have an extra set. All skate shops I’ve ordered from this quarantine have taken over a week to ship.

And yes, it’s very easy it slappy curbs. Sometimes it feels like simply riding onto a rail laying on the ground. However it’s harder (for me atleast) to control the grind. I normally skate a 8.25 with Ace44s and 56 wheels, and I can feel the extra inch and a half of truck when coming off a curb. When skating a curb on my normal board, it’s a lot easier to slide my back wheels into place for an easy come off when I’m starting to slow down or losing control of the grind. When skating curbs with the AH/215s, there’s a lot more board. Sliding the wheels into place sometimes can completely throw me off balance.

It can get hard to push. I def feel it in my legs the next day after a long sesh. It’s a very heavy board and honestly feels like a chore to carry up hills. However, the momentum you get from Bombing hills or even going down the slightest incline is amazing, unlike any setup I’ve ever skated. I haven’t gotten speed wobbles once. It’s one of those set ups where you don’t realize how fast you’re actually going.

It’s feels just like a mega popsicle deck. I have a pretty solid fakie flip and a couple other basic flatground tricks. I’m only 5’7, 135lbs with an 8 shoe, so a 10in board is giant for me. The largest board prior I’ve skated besides the cab is a 9.1.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1156 on: May 04, 2020, 01:02:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

No, I’m gonna order some risers thru eBay or see if my friends have an extra set. All skate shops I’ve ordered from this quarantine have taken over a week to ship.

And yes, it’s very easy it slappy curbs. Sometimes it feels like simply riding onto a rail laying on the ground. However it’s harder (for me atleast) to control the grind. I normally skate a 8.25 with Ace44s and 56 wheels, and I can feel the extra inch and a half of truck when coming off a curb. When skating a curb on my normal board, it’s a lot easier to slide my back wheels into place for an easy come off when I’m starting to slow down or losing control of the grind. When skating curbs with the AH/215s, there’s a lot more board. Sliding the wheels into place sometimes can completely throw me off balance.

It can get hard to push. I def feel it in my legs the next day after a long sesh. It’s a very heavy board and honestly feels like a chore to carry up hills. However, the momentum you get from Bombing hills or even going down the slightest incline is amazing, unlike any setup I’ve ever skated. I haven’t gotten speed wobbles once. It’s one of those set ups where you don’t realize how fast you’re actually going.

It’s feels just like a mega popsicle deck. I have a pretty solid fakie flip and a couple other basic flatground tricks. I’m only 5’7, 135lbs with an 8 shoe, so a 10in board is giant for me. The largest board prior I’ve skated besides the cab is a 9.1.
fakie flips on that beast? post vids i love how flips look on way too big boards
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #1157 on: May 04, 2020, 08:09:19 AM »
It's an addiction. Did I need another setup? Of course not.
But I can't help myself. Love me some BBB (Big Beautiful Boards).

I'm still tinkering with it. Think I want to add a 1/8 riser. Its got 56 classic full F4s now. Might change it out to some 58 Conical fulls or 60 Classics.
Welcome to the fatty family.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1158 on: May 04, 2020, 08:18:11 AM »

I'm still tinkering with it. Think I want to add a 1/8 riser. Its got 56 classic full F4s now. Might change it out to some 58 Conical fulls or 60 Classics.

31 and a half is more like a big beautiful chode

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #1159 on: May 04, 2020, 08:32:05 AM »
Love that slave warpig

I had the chance to pick one up at a great price and am kicking myself for not pulling the trigger

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1160 on: May 04, 2020, 08:33:46 AM »

What’s the concave/kicks like on that curb crusher? Steep?

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #1161 on: May 04, 2020, 09:26:43 AM »
Love that slave warpig

I had the chance to pick one up at a great price and am kicking myself for not pulling the trigger

Yeah, the pig is still my preferred fatty. I think its the more normal tail that just makes it incredibly functional. Treflips like a dream. I'll be getting another one for sure.

Expand Quote

[close]

All 3 of these are bareback wood. So its not flat. But I wouldn't say steep.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1162 on: May 04, 2020, 10:40:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Love that slave warpig

[close]

Yeah, the pig is still my preferred fatty. I think its the more normal tail that just makes it incredibly functional. Treflips like a dream. I'll be getting another one for sure.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

All 3 of these are bareback wood. So its not flat. But I wouldn't say steep.

Gotcha, thanks!

white guy in a durag

• 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #1163 on: May 04, 2020, 11:48:47 AM »
Quarantine day drinking and tax returns got me to join the big boys. Haven't set it up yet since I'm trying to stay out of the streets, but I'll probably break down and turn it into liquor store cruiser in the coming days.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1164 on: May 04, 2020, 12:34:34 PM »
Has anyone skated this shape before? I've had my eye on it for a while but I don't want it to end up being yet another board I get sick of after a few weeks.

Black Label 10.25" x 31.5" with 14.5"-15" WB

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1165 on: May 04, 2020, 12:36:14 PM »
Quarantine day drinking and tax returns got me to join the big boys. Haven't set it up yet since I'm trying to stay out of the streets, but I'll probably break down and turn it into liquor store cruiser in the coming days.

Board looks nice (as does that curb crusher set up).
I have some irrational hatred for the ‘liquor store cruiser’ name: tws used to repeat these stupid tropes, this being one, style for miles another, and I just. Hate. It. Really grinds my gears.
I stayed inside for way too long. I am NOT advocating for social closening, nor needless exposure to you or others, but a cruise on less crowded streets really helps the mentals

white guy in a durag

• 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #1166 on: May 04, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »
I have some irrational hatred for the ‘liquor store cruiser’ name: tws used to repeat these stupid tropes, this being one, style for miles another, and I just. Hate. It. Really grinds my gears.
I stayed inside for way too long. I am NOT advocating for social closening, nor needless exposure to you or others, but a cruise on less crowded streets really helps the mentals

Completely justified hate for the liquor store cruiser name. Only reason I use that language is just that's the mindset I have to use to justify setting it up to myself in the age of social distancing. We all know the real reason I got it is because I only do bonlesses and slappies.

Also for anyone interested in the grave digger, widths over the trucks are 9" and 9.25" for the front and back respectively, so 169s fit it perfectly.

animalflesh

« Reply #1167 on: May 04, 2020, 01:00:14 PM »
Has anyone skated this shape before? I've had my eye on it for a while but I don't want it to end up being yet another board I get sick of after a few weeks.

Yes fucking SICK board

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1168 on: May 04, 2020, 03:24:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes fucking SICK board

What did you like/dislike about it? I'm probably just gonna stick Ace 66 and Spitfire 58mm 99a Classics on it.

Also found a pic of the board from way back then

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1169 on: May 05, 2020, 07:48:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Completely justified hate for the liquor store cruiser name. Only reason I use that language is just that's the mindset I have to use to justify setting it up to myself in the age of social distancing. We all know the real reason I got it is because I only do bonlesses and slappies.

Also for anyone interested in the grave digger, widths over the trucks are 9" and 9.25" for the front and back respectively, so 169s fit it perfectly.
169 sounds good to destroy on that. what wheels are you going to run? cmon, set it up! 32.5" and 14.5" wb right?