Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 543442 times)

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 215
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1590 on: June 19, 2020, 09:56:27 PM »
Expand Quote

Threw some new Aces on the 1991. Not wild about the graphic but such a fun shape. Just been skating curbs and flat so far, stoked for the park to open back up to skate some transition on it.
[close]
55 and conical full (size?)
The 14.5 wb with aces probably nice

Yes sir, some older 56s near the end of their life span. Really liking the combo, short-ish wheelbase but bigger nose and tail so I feel like I've got some moving around space. Had a Theories special delivery shape that got relegated to cruiser status really quick due to how cramped everything felt, and that was without Aces.

Yesterdays-pop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -388
« Reply #1591 on: June 20, 2020, 06:03:30 PM »
I’ll probably regret not ordering a pair like I do fortnightly. Funds are low for me rn. But...
215’s ARE BACK!!!!

https://www.tactics.com/independent/215-standard-skateboard-trucks/silver-215

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1592 on: June 20, 2020, 07:17:41 PM »
Yeah it’s weird there’s heaps of Chico’s here in Aus. My buddy has one and it’s pretty cool. Felt a bit squirrelly though, is the wheelbase quite short?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #1593 on: June 20, 2020, 08:21:03 PM »
Yea it’s 14”

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1594 on: June 20, 2020, 11:02:37 PM »
Yeah it’s weird there’s heaps of Chico’s here in Aus. My buddy has one and it’s pretty cool. Felt a bit squirrelly though, is the wheelbase quite short?

Yeah 14...which is why im hoping thunders will help.

sammyz

« Reply #1595 on: June 22, 2020, 02:51:55 AM »
actually anyone know what trucks Chico rides? assuming its thunder...?

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #1596 on: June 22, 2020, 04:00:02 AM »
I think Chico has been Indy guy for a while

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1597 on: June 22, 2020, 06:23:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think Chico has been Indy guy for a while

Yeah, in his setup review video from when the Big Boy first came out, he said Indy 149s. Whenever he would post a new old school setup for 7x7 on his Insta, it was pretty much always Indy.

Also, I could have sworn that when the Krooked guest dropped someone on here Dmd him and he said to use it with Indy 149.

Straightedge

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1598 on: June 22, 2020, 05:33:20 PM »
I’m looking to switch up to a bigger board, atleast 9, would 169’s work fine? I’m also looking for suggestions on wheels, I have 60mm bombers at the moment. Hoping to be my main setup.

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #1599 on: June 22, 2020, 05:39:29 PM »
just setup a Girl loveseat shaped Bannerot. I decided to try Krux out, Khiros as always, spitfire f4 conical slims, and bronson G3s.

Im kind of regretting not getting 8.75 trucks for this deck, it tapers all the way down to like 8.6 at the rear bolts.

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1600 on: June 22, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »
I’m looking to switch up to a bigger board, atleast 9, would 169’s work fine? I’m also looking for suggestions on wheels, I have 60mm bombers at the moment. Hoping to be my main setup.

169's will fit a 9" popcicle perfectly. If it's a shaped board, I'd recommend checking the width at the back truck. May have to downsize to 159's depending on that measurement.

As far as wheels, everyone is going to say Spitfire. If you want to continue with softer 60mm., check out Slimeballs and Rainskates.

Straightedge

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1601 on: June 22, 2020, 05:47:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

169's will fit a 9" popcicle perfectly. If it's a shaped board, I'd recommend checking the width at the back truck. May have to downsize to 159's depending on that measurement.

As far as wheels, everyone is going to say Spitfire. If you want to continue with softer 60mm., check out Slimeballs and Rainskates.

Sweet thanks I’ll check it out, I’m gunna shop around for boards, I want to try a shaped board but nothing to insane

sammyz

« Reply #1602 on: June 22, 2020, 10:44:27 PM »
just setup a Girl loveseat shaped Bannerot. I decided to try Krux out, Khiros as always, spitfire f4 conical slims, and bronson G3s.

Im kind of regretting not getting 8.75 trucks for this deck, it tapers all the way down to like 8.6 at the rear bolts.

Thats nice...i got the black and white version of that model along with my chico board...good to know it tapers down as all i have is 159’s.

Its probably gonna sit for a while until i get to it though. Have you skated yours? How does it feel? I was a little concerned with the short WB and how cramped it might feel...be keen to hear your thoughts on it

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1603 on: June 23, 2020, 06:45:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thats nice...i got the black and white version of that model along with my chico board...good to know it tapers down as all i have is 159’s.

Its probably gonna sit for a while until i get to it though. Have you skated yours? How does it feel? I was a little concerned with the short WB and how cramped it might feel...be keen to hear your thoughts on it

If you go a couple pages back, a couple people skated these and discussed the WB (summary: it feels good and works well with the overall shape)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1604 on: June 23, 2020, 08:31:54 AM »
Reading how a lot of smaller set ups people seem to like trucks wider than the deck.
but i haven't enjoyed my indy 169 as much as my venture 6.1, so i feel like now I just want to use the 6.1 on all my set ups including 9" decks and stuff that tapers. 6.1 just so much more stable. Have a 9" popsicle to set up and feeling like i'll be happiest with the ventures even though its a longer wb and i wouldn't mind trying ace 55 to shorten it etc.

animalflesh

« Reply #1605 on: June 23, 2020, 08:11:20 PM »
8.625 pop with Indy 159 rules

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #1606 on: June 23, 2020, 08:50:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Feels a lot squirrelier than my 8.75 (14 wheelbase) when actually riding and carving, but feels incredibly stable when pushing. I've yet to ride it faster than a hard push and carve down flat streets, but tomorrow I'll know more.

I think a lot of early 90s pre-popsicle street boards had this ~13.8 wheelbase, no?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1607 on: June 23, 2020, 09:35:53 PM »

Yep. Exactly what I’m on now and I love it.

sammyz

« Reply #1608 on: June 23, 2020, 09:54:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Feels a lot squirrelier than my 8.75 (14 wheelbase) when actually riding and carving, but feels incredibly stable when pushing. I've yet to ride it faster than a hard push and carve down flat streets, but tomorrow I'll know more.

I think a lot of early 90s pre-popsicle street boards had this ~13.8 wheelbase, no?

i rode those decks back in the 90's...but i have no idea what WB was back then, use to just buy my favourite pro's deck and go skating...any difference was usually eliminated after riding the board a couple of times and getting use to it. Only now in my 40's i care about all these measurements!

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1609 on: June 23, 2020, 10:36:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What’s the good 8.6 shape?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1610 on: June 23, 2020, 10:38:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

i rode those decks back in the 90's...but i have no idea what WB was back then, use to just buy my favourite pro's deck and go skating...any difference was usually eliminated after riding the board a couple of times and getting use to it. Only now in my 40's i care about all these measurements!

Heard/read, somewhere, that Simon skates his with 159s.

I started a little earlier than 40s, but yeah, shit used to work a lot easier. I like trying new stuff tho.

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1611 on: June 24, 2020, 09:48:34 AM »
If anybody is interested, Tactics has Indy 215s.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1612 on: June 24, 2020, 02:19:23 PM »
Thinking about a pig tank or a green giant. Hmmm

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1613 on: June 24, 2020, 02:58:15 PM »
didn't realize 215s were $52

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #1614 on: June 24, 2020, 04:45:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Third. Was skeptical at first but checked every box I wanted in a board(wanted to size down a bit but keep 14.75” wheelbase, and keep 159s, not scared of trying some technology) and has not disappointed me yet.
GANG!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1615 on: June 24, 2020, 04:51:51 PM »

Chocolate Couch 9.25 32 13.875
F4 Conical Full 99a 55mm
Swiss Six

Did not expect to love this board so much, a friend of mine put me onto the shape. Now I’m stressing that I won’t be able to replace this one already, seem to be gone in Aus. Doesn’t feel short at all, and expect to hate this thing in the bowls but it’s pretty much perfect, can’t explain why.
+1 on the couch shape, although I haven’t ridden it in bowls yet. Seems like the w/b would be way too cramped but it’s not...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1616 on: June 24, 2020, 05:38:26 PM »
Just picked up another Prime S5 shape. The shape is awesome, wheelbase is 14.25. Never thought I’d like it so much as to stock up for later. First time for everything.

SoCal still has a few. 

sammyz

« Reply #1617 on: June 24, 2020, 11:50:49 PM »
Got it set up for tonight...cant wait

Indy Barbee 159’s
OJ hardline 53mm 101
Bones super swiss

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1618 on: June 25, 2020, 06:27:57 AM »
Really exciting boards here lately. For my next board I'm going to get something with 14 inch wheelbase. Always stuck with wheelbase between 14.38 - 14.5 but the last few days I've been riding park on a quasi 9 football. Blown away how stable it feels.
I think it has a sub 14 wheelbase.
Only thing I don't like about that board is the lack of steepness in the tail. I just can't get used to the pop feel.
Have tried to change things up to make it feel better.
Switched from ace to indys, mounted heavier/bigger wheels and risers.
The pop is still to light.
Any suggestions on a board that's similar but with a steeper tail?
Doesn't necessarily have to be as much taper in the tail.

sammyz

« Reply #1619 on: June 25, 2020, 11:45:15 PM »
so i had a session on that Chico board last night...did not enjoy it at all. Something real funky with it...not sure if it was just old and had been sitting around for too long, or it was just me skating in the cold...but i was not getting any pop from it at all, there was no bounce in the deck...felt dead. the shape and feel of the board in general wasnt to my taste, i might try smaller trucks, like 149's or thunders and see if it makes a difference...but first impressions weren't good for me. maybe i'll get use to it...