Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 543395 times)

Deekay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1680 on: July 10, 2020, 12:21:32 PM »
I came here in hopes that some of you guys and girls with big cruisers could help me out. I am looking to get my brother a birthday cruiser somewhere between 9.5-10.5. He just had his first baby with his wife so I think this is his way of preserving the child in him. He wants an old style feel to it, where the tail is up and the nose is flat. He has been asking for a while. I ride street on an 8.3 popsicle deck so cruisers are not my area of expertise. My questions for this thread are:

-Are there any brands in particular that you enjoy riding?
-My brother is looking at Santa Cruz and Powell Peralta decks, how are their cruisers?
-Should I be looking at larger sized skateboard trucks from indy and ace or should I be looking at long board trucks for a cruiser like this?
-A lot of people are saying OJ Plain Jane 54mm are the way to go for a cruiser set up; is there any competing wheels that you guys enjoy a lot?

Thank you in advance for any input. Hopefully I can make him happy for his bday.

P.S. For reference, we were looking at this deck

https://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/p.aspx?ID=84691&CID=1

Is this an ok cruiser deck?

The Santa Cruz and Powell has a nice feel to them and would be good choices if you think he will like the graphics and overall vibe.

You should definitely go with bigger sized regular trucks like Indy or Ace, it feels heavier enough already because of the size and longboard trucks would probably make it super fuckin heavy and hard to do anything else than rolling and turning on.

As far as wheels go, in my experience the wheels make a huge difference in the overall feel along with truck size since the deck is so wide. Will he do a lot of tricks or mostly "use it as a longboard" i.e. just roll around?
With a 9.5-10.5 deck, 54mm will be a little small, but it works if he wants to do a lot of tricks. I have a 9.5 old school shape board with Ace 44 and Ricta clouds 54mm that feels great and you can pretty much skate it like a regular 8.5 board with the exception of flip tricks being harder, but I had 56mm clouds before and they felt great too. Maybe go with 56-58mm plain janes? I'd definitely recommend the Ricta clouds along with the plain janes, although it does take away a little from that purist old school feel.

If I were you I'd try to figure out his main objective with the setup. If he wants to actually skate it and be able to do tricks, I'd go Indy 149/159 or Ace 44/55 with Plain janes/Cloud 56-58mm and risers. If he wants it to have a real old school vibe and mainly look cool, I'd go the wider option trucks or even one up and vintage looking 60mm wheels like Kryptonics or something similar.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1067
« Reply #1681 on: July 10, 2020, 12:58:09 PM »
I came here in hopes that some of you guys and girls with big cruisers could help me out. I am looking to get my brother a birthday cruiser somewhere between 9.5-10.5. He just had his first baby with his wife so I think this is his way of preserving the child in him. He wants an old style feel to it, where the tail is up and the nose is flat. He has been asking for a while. I ride street on an 8.3 popsicle deck so cruisers are not my area of expertise. My questions for this thread are:

-My brother is looking at Santa Cruz and Powell Peralta decks, how are their cruisers?
-Should I be looking at larger sized skateboard trucks from indy and ace or should I be looking at long board trucks for a cruiser like this?
-A lot of people are saying OJ Plain Jane 54mm are the way to go for a cruiser set up; is there any competing wheels that you guys enjoy a lot?

Thank you in advance for any input. Hopefully I can make him happy for his bday.

Too long for a cruiser. Less nose will equal more fun.

Late 80s boards were always around 31” long. Check this shit out:

https://socalskateshop.com/Dogtown-Eric-Dressen-Re-Issue-Deck-Black-Stain-Black-Fade-10x3075.html#!?cc_decks=103347&c=cc_grip-tape

I really like the Dog Town style over Powell and SC. Also Eric Dressen is awesome, but it really doesn’t matter the brand but try to keep the deck length under 31”. Totally different feel.

Tweekyn

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1682 on: July 10, 2020, 01:05:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Santa Cruz and Powell has a nice feel to them and would be good choices if you think he will like the graphics and overall vibe.

You should definitely go with bigger sized regular trucks like Indy or Ace, it feels heavier enough already because of the size and longboard trucks would probably make it super fuckin heavy and hard to do anything else than rolling and turning on.

As far as wheels go, in my experience the wheels make a huge difference in the overall feel along with truck size since the deck is so wide. Will he do a lot of tricks or mostly "use it as a longboard" i.e. just roll around?
With a 9.5-10.5 deck, 54mm will be a little small, but it works if he wants to do a lot of tricks. I have a 9.5 old school shape board with Ace 44 and Ricta clouds 54mm that feels great and you can pretty much skate it like a regular 8.5 board with the exception of flip tricks being harder, but I had 56mm clouds before and they felt great too. Maybe go with 56-58mm plain janes? I'd definitely recommend the Ricta clouds along with the plain janes, although it does take away a little from that purist old school feel.

If I were you I'd try to figure out his main objective with the setup. If he wants to actually skate it and be able to do tricks, I'd go Indy 149/159 or Ace 44/55 with Plain janes/Cloud 56-58mm and risers. If he wants it to have a real old school vibe and mainly look cool, I'd go the wider option trucks or even one up and vintage looking 60mm wheels like Kryptonics or something similar.

Right now he is looking at santa cruz, powell peralta, and scram decks. He is definitely just going to be rolling around on it. Around his neighborhood for the most part. He most likely will not use it for tricks, especially not flip tricks. Still, I am going to look at larger sized indy and ace. That will definitely give him the feel he is looking for. Unless there are any other good brands for a cruiser of this style that you can recommend. I'll definitely look into some vintage style wheels also. I think that is the right direction for what he wants. Thank you for the info!

Expand Quote

[close]

https://socalskateshop.com/Dogtown-Eric-Dressen-Re-Issue-Deck-Black-Stain-Black-Fade-10x3075.html#!?cc_decks=103347&c=cc_grip-tape

I really like the Dog Town style over Powell and SC. Also Eric Dressen is awesome, but it really doesn’t matter the brand but try to keep the deck length under 31”. Totally different feel.

Did not even put the length into consideration. We are now checking out the same style but under 31 inches. Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:18:37 PM by Tweekyn »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1332
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1683 on: July 10, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »
That Dressen Dogtown was on my first real set-up and pairs nicely with some 159s. Grab some hollows and save a little weight. Slap on some 56mm keyframes and they'd be real good for cruising and it'd be pretty close to a street set-up circa 1988. I think I had 90a wheels on mine back then.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1684 on: July 10, 2020, 06:47:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Right now he is looking at santa cruz, powell peralta, and scram decks. He is definitely just going to be rolling around on it. Around his neighborhood for the most part. He most likely will not use it for tricks, especially not flip tricks. Still, I am going to look at larger sized indy and ace. That will definitely give him the feel he is looking for. Unless there are any other good brands for a cruiser of this style that you can recommend. I'll definitely look into some vintage style wheels also. I think that is the right direction for what he wants. Thank you for the info!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Did not even put the length into consideration. We are now checking out the same style but under 31 inches. Thank you!

Scram leaf. There’s tons of stuff that would fit the bill tho.
That blockhead limited board posted in here is rad.
That dogtown bigfoot board also look sick, dogtown has a lot of stuff that looks decent, surprisingly (to me).

If it’s only about the turn: ACE, imo. ACE also wheelbite less, for me.

Slimeballs were the shit back then, I haven’t tried em in modern times. Plain janes (key frames) are really plush, and I recommend them, but for my next cruiser I might do something more like slimeballs (or a similar ‘Old School’ wheel formula).

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1685 on: July 10, 2020, 09:16:06 PM »
The scram stuff is great across the board. For comfort I would recommend something wide (10ish) and depending on how snappy he wants the turn to be, ace 55s with 1/4 risers or 169 indies with 1/8 - 1/4 risers.

I am skating the folklore project j. Lee cat in the hat reissue as a Cruiser on 159s and Powell ssl 55mm and I love it.
A little small for my taste but super snappy and fun.

For wheels the keyframes and clouds are nice and fairly light, so still flipable but so sticky and sketchy at high speeds because they randomly bite on speed checks and powerslides.
I‘d recommend something like 56 - 60mm spitfire (og) classics or slimeballs 97a so he can get a good rattle without having to push too much.
Just stay away from kryptonics. They are asymmetrically set, wear down fast and weird and are the slowest wheels I ever skated, horrible.

PMA

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #1686 on: July 10, 2020, 10:14:46 PM »
x post from the setup thread. feels good to be back after an extended break from riding big boards

girl couch 9.25
thunder 151 hollows w/ ace bottoms
spitfire f4 conical full 53mm/99a
bones super swiss 6
thunder phillips bolts
mob (still hate it, needs sanding)
nike af1 penny
Do you have the Ace bottom on the Thunder bottom washer?
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1687 on: July 11, 2020, 12:58:25 PM »
Expand Quote
x post from the setup thread. feels good to be back after an extended break from riding big boards

girl couch 9.25
thunder 151 hollows w/ ace bottoms
spitfire f4 conical full 53mm/99a
bones super swiss 6
thunder phillips bolts
mob (still hate it, needs sanding)
nike af1 penny
[close]
Do you have the Ace bottom on the Thunder bottom washer?
ace bottom washer -> ace bottom bushing -> shaved thunder stock top bushing -> bones flat washer
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #1688 on: July 12, 2020, 03:36:17 AM »
Admittedly, I have only just seen this thread and not browsed it too extensively, but are there any >9" popsicles? I have been skating 9" for a few years now and it has been a revelation with my US15 feet, however I think I’d actually benefit from a 9.25" or even 9.5". Never seen any popsicles at those sizes, and I cannot have any other shape for skating street and park.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1689 on: July 12, 2020, 05:45:37 AM »
Admittedly, I have only just seen this thread and not browsed it too extensively, but are there any >9" popsicles? I have been skating 9" for a few years now and it has been a revelation with my US15 feet, however I think I’d actually benefit from a 9.25" or even 9.5". Never seen any popsicles at those sizes, and I cannot have any other shape for skating street and park.

Heroin razor is 9.25...Thats the biggest one ive see..but razor edge sucks

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1690 on: July 12, 2020, 05:58:32 AM »

Check out the Anti Hero Big Yeller. 9.9 I think, kind of a square tail but kind of a standard modern shape.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1691 on: July 12, 2020, 06:29:04 AM »
Thanks, maybe I should try something like the Anti Hero one (Old Yeller I guess?), but on first glance it’s a little bit too far from what I’d call a popsicle.

Onevia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #1692 on: July 12, 2020, 06:36:06 AM »
I remember someone posting the 35th Avenue shop decks: http://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Decks/35th/p/35th-Script-Outline-Shop-Deck-x46710530.htm

They offer a 9.5" and 10" popsicle, but it looks like only the 9.5" is currently in-stock.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1693 on: July 13, 2020, 10:52:30 AM »
Thanks, so they do exist! Will need to check some Euro shops for similar offerings. My fav would be something from the Jart woodshop, I am quite heavy and nevertheless they keep their pop and don’t break for ages.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #1694 on: July 13, 2020, 05:54:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Scram leaf. There’s tons of stuff that would fit the bill tho.
That blockhead limited board posted in here is rad.
That dogtown bigfoot board also look sick, dogtown has a lot of stuff that looks decent, surprisingly (to me).

If it’s only about the turn: ACE, imo. ACE also wheelbite less, for me.

Slimeballs were the shit back then, I haven’t tried em in modern times. Plain janes (key frames) are really plush, and I recommend them, but for my next cruiser I might do something more like slimeballs (or a similar ‘Old School’ wheel formula).

I got my brother in similar situation-
Scram 10.5
169s
Super juice mini 55mm
He fucking loves it and actually rides it, it looks really cool and 169s are awesome on a cruiser, really soft wheels and no risers are nice and he learned sloppy noseslides can Ollie pretty good now. He left it outside in the rain and it’s still fine. He has a street sign pole he puts on the ground and slappies it, it’s pretty cute.

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #1695 on: July 13, 2020, 06:28:18 PM »
A friend moved out of state and handed me down an unknown handmade deck, after I split the nose and delaminates the tail this week I recut it and gave it some wheel wells.

9.75 x 30.5
15 wb 6.75 tail 5 nose
Really happy with how it feels now and it having a second life.

Running on 169s
54 f4 classics

PMA

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #1696 on: July 13, 2020, 11:06:11 PM »
thing of beauty right there

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #1697 on: July 14, 2020, 02:19:38 AM »
A friend moved out of state and handed me down an unknown handmade deck, after I split the nose and delaminates the tail this week I recut it and gave it some wheel wells.

9.75 x 30.5
15 wb 6.75 tail 5 nose

Running on 169s
54 f4 classics

This is cool

animalflesh

« Reply #1698 on: July 14, 2020, 06:39:29 AM »
Board looks so sick

How are the Owens

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #1699 on: July 14, 2020, 02:58:52 PM »
Board looks so sick

How are the Owens

Thank you, also the best feeling deck I’ve skated in a long time despite it’s age. Surprising how aesthetics and a will to skate it can make it feel so good.

Owens are great, they start out pretty stiff and bootish but loosen up nicely. Never had a pair of skate shoes last me that long. (To be fair I keep gooing the soles from the inside because they are fucked) Still not giving up on them, they feel perfect. Snug around the ankles (if you want them to) and with good feel around the foot and toes. Insole is decent too.

PMA

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #1700 on: July 14, 2020, 03:07:52 PM »
You use a jigsaw to cut it? Came out great.

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #1701 on: July 14, 2020, 04:59:54 PM »
Yeah, jigsaw and For the wheel wells a wood grinder disc on an angle grinder.

Mark it on the bottom and cut from that side. I made the mistake of marking (and therefore cutting) on the top and the jigsaw is iffy in the concave of tail and nose.

PMA

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1702 on: July 15, 2020, 06:19:22 AM »
Franky rides 151 with primitive egg

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1703 on: July 15, 2020, 11:17:45 AM »
Expand Quote

9.75 x 30.5
15 wb 6.75 tail 5 nose

Running on 169s
54 f4 classics
[close]

This is cool

I agree, I like this.

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1704 on: July 16, 2020, 01:40:49 AM »
support your local ramp-tramp

uptherecazaly

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1705 on: July 16, 2020, 03:54:40 AM »
https://heroin.myshopify.com/products/mutant-10-0

I will buy the shit out of this

WHAT ARE THE WHEELBASES FOR ALL THEIR SHIT

shingles

• Rep: -61
« Reply #1707 on: July 16, 2020, 05:35:03 AM »
Damn, Heroin is killing it both procuct and team-wise...
Their boards also seem very good quality, I had one for like a month, which is very long for me
support your local ramp-tramp

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #1709 on: July 16, 2020, 03:00:34 PM »
Expand Quote
https://heroin.myshopify.com/products/mutant-10-0

I will buy the shit out of this
[close]

WHAT ARE THE WHEELBASES FOR ALL THEIR SHIT

I love Fos but dislike this!!!
Anyone know the WB on the Deerman shape?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.