Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 543485 times)

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1830 on: August 15, 2020, 08:16:32 PM »

My monster truck:

Scram Fink
215 w Ace Bushings
OJ Mini Juice
Swiss
1/4”
Madness Rails

I want to see more Scrams/215s!!!!!

Glory glory glorious setup

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1831 on: August 15, 2020, 09:48:45 PM »
That fink is so good!

PMA

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1333
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1832 on: August 15, 2020, 10:35:25 PM »

Dogtown Eric Dressen 10.125 x 30.5 w/15wb PSstix
Indy 159 Hollows w/Bones hard, stock bottom washer and flat washer on top
Spits Conical Full 54mm
Rocking Ron NMBs
Welcome Candy Bars I had on ice for a couple of years
Khiro 1" flathead phillips
Mob

The concave is a little more modern that the OG but it's still pretty flat and I'm not mad at having an upturned nose. Shoutout to 6 hole baseplates as I wasn't expecting a reissue to have the old truck mounting hole pattern but here we are. I got lucky with that one. Also, I bought pink wheels on purpose.

Rail hack: The sticky padding on the back of the Candy Bars was pretty melted and half of it came of with the backing. Luckily, I noticed this ages ago and came up with a solution. 1/2" Scotch Indoor Mounting Tape worked perfectly and I'll probably do this for any rails I mount going forward. No mo rattly rails. I did forgot how much extra work rails are though.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #1833 on: August 16, 2020, 01:17:51 AM »
Expand Quote

Chocolate Ryan Tershey - 9.25 x 32 x 13.875wb (G048 shape)
Thunder 161 hollow lights (with Khiro 95a barrel bottom bushing and indy bottom washer)
Spitfire F4 51mm radial slims
Bronson G3

Scram "Cope" - 9.38 x 32 x 14.6wb
Krux k4 9" (with Khiro 95a barrel bottom bushing and stock bottom washer)
1/8" indy risers
Ohcake "Blue Monster" 58mm 102a
Bronson G3
[close]
Ryan Tershey is my dog.
  both these look sick.. 

These Scram boards look so good..

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1067
« Reply #1834 on: August 16, 2020, 05:51:21 AM »

Spits Conical Full 54mm
Rocking Ron NMBs
Mob

The concave is a little more modern that the OG but it's still pretty flat and I'm not mad at having an upturned nose. Shoutout to 6 hole baseplates as I wasn't expecting a reissue to have the old truck mounting hole pattern but here we are. I got lucky with that one. Also, I bought pink wheels on purpose.

Rail hack: The sticky padding on the back of the Candy Bars was pretty melted and half of it came of with the backing. Luckily, I noticed this ages ago and came up with a solution. 1/2" Scotch Indoor Mounting Tape worked perfectly and I'll probably do this for any rails I mount going forward. No mo rattly rails. I did forgot how much extra work rails are though.

Glad to see you’ve come full circle. If that were my first deck I would put it back together no question. I had the Rob Roskopp with the monster face which I thought was sick at the age of 11–not so much anymore. I’ve been waiting for my 3rd deck to be reissued. That was the one I started skating parking blocks with.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1835 on: August 16, 2020, 12:13:34 PM »
Just set this up and skated for the first time today, made for my short legs.

Grimple Evan Smith 9.1 x 32
Indy forged hollow 159 w/ black 94a Indy replacement bushings
Spitfire f4 classic full 54 99a
Olympia gold ceramic bearings
Rad rails
Nike Sb blazer gt or dunks
Jessup

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1836 on: August 16, 2020, 12:27:25 PM »

Rad rails
Jessup

That shape looks sick.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1837 on: August 16, 2020, 12:45:17 PM »
I love it, good for pressure flips, tail is just square/wide enough for blunt slides without sacrificing my tre flips and impossibles.
Frank told me it was an old Jim Thiebaud shape from 1991/92.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1838 on: August 16, 2020, 12:59:29 PM »
I love it, good for pressure flips, tail is just square/wide enough for blunt slides without sacrificing my tre flips and impossibles.

It makes me like it even more to know it was an actual shape from that era. I love the combo of a pointy nose and round tail as well...mentioned it elsewhere but the Cardiel football is my personal favorite.

Zark

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1839 on: August 16, 2020, 01:30:25 PM »

It makes me like it even more to know it was an actual shape from that era. I love the combo of a pointy nose and round tail as well...mentioned it elsewhere but the Cardiel football is my personal favorite.
What's the benefit of a pointier nose over a full shape, besides preference?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1840 on: August 16, 2020, 01:41:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
What's the benefit of a pointier nose over a full shape, besides preference?

Easier flick for the rare occasions that I flip my board. Also feels really good for switch and nollie shoves. Probably has a lot to do with my limited bag of tricks.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1841 on: August 16, 2020, 01:58:59 PM »
I noticed with the pointyish nose my slappy crooks are way easier, and the front of the boards is much lighter giving it a whippy feeling(heavy tail/light nose/directional) vs a balanced shape which I don’t like as My Nollie flip tricks are non existent.
There is a tipping point with most setups, I don’t want a super skinny nose but I don’t like a full one either. Classic 91/92 shape is perfect for me. This one has a 14.38 wb. I also noticed once boards go under 32 long they get kind of unstable.

Gurrrm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1842 on: August 16, 2020, 02:49:52 PM »

Heroin Mutant 10"
Independent 215's
Spitfire F4 Conical Fulls 56mm
Creature rails
1/8" Independent risers
Bronson G3 bearings

animalflesh

« Reply #1843 on: August 16, 2020, 03:11:14 PM »

9” (14.25 WB)
169 ti
1/4
60mm classic

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1844 on: August 16, 2020, 03:42:12 PM »

9” (14.25 WB)
169 ti
1/4
60mm classic

Sweet Salvation griptape art. How are you liking the Indys coming from Ace? I used to switch back and forth regularly but as of late I have been strictly Ace.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1845 on: August 16, 2020, 04:24:43 PM »
Expand Quote

Spits Conical Full 54mm
Rocking Ron NMBs
Mob

[close]

Glad to see you’ve come full circle. If that were my first deck I would put it back together no question. I had the Rob Roskopp with the monster face which I thought was sick at the age of 11–not so much anymore. I’ve been waiting for my 3rd deck to be reissued. That was the one I started skating parking blocks with.

That Dressen setup is absolutely perfect. Nice job.

animalflesh

« Reply #1846 on: August 16, 2020, 07:58:25 PM »
Expand Quote

9” (14.25 WB)
169 ti
1/4
60mm classic
[close]

Sweet Salvation griptape art. How are you liking the Indys coming from Ace? I used to switch back and forth regularly but as of late I have been strictly Ace.

Thanks man!

Indy and ace both have a place in my heart... I think I like ace more for curb skating and smal transition... Indy more for street skating, hill bombing and any transition larger than 5 feet

Zark

« Reply #1847 on: August 16, 2020, 08:36:18 PM »
I noticed with the pointyish nose my slappy crooks are way easier, and the front of the boards is much lighter giving it a whippy feeling(heavy tail/light nose/directional) vs a balanced shape which I don’t like as My Nollie flip tricks are non existent.
There is a tipping point with most setups, I don’t want a super skinny nose but I don’t like a full one either. Classic 91/92 shape is perfect for me. This one has a 14.38 wb. I also noticed once boards go under 32 long they get kind of unstable.
This is why I'm hesitant to pick up a Dane Brady shape, small wheelbase and length. What do you think about pop with a lighter nose, do you think it decreases momentum in an ollie or easier because it's lighter. I'm thinking of trying some pointier shorter noses. I wonder it's effect on noseslides if any, besides less foot purchase.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1848 on: August 16, 2020, 08:55:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This is why I'm hesitant to pick up a Dane Brady shape, small wheelbase and length. What do you think about pop with a lighter nose, do you think it decreases momentum in an ollie or easier because it's lighter. I'm thinking of trying some pointier shorter noses. I wonder it's effect on noseslides if any, besides less foot purchase.

FWIW I am a taller (Just shy of 6'3") person who does a lot of ollies and a tapered nose hasn't ever messed with them. I also do a ton of FS noseslsides and it doesn't mess me up. Most of the boards I skate are like 9"+ at the widest point so even with the taper they at least feel like and 8.5" pop when doing those kinds of tricks.

As far as the Dane shape, IDK. I was skating a Girl loveseat with a 13.875 WB and it still felt very chill and skateable at my height due to it being a full 32" overall with a ton of flat. Doesn't help much in this instance, but the whole thing really illustrates why it is nice to be able to go to a shop and see a board in person.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1849 on: August 16, 2020, 08:56:56 PM »
I would say the nose of the Dane1 is pretty big. Length wise it's under the standard 32" but it's pretty close and the nose, though it tapers, is still there and is usable. My main issue is that it was a little wide and made my pop feel heavy even though the wheelbase is my ideal. For me it was a one and done even though it looks sick when I see pics of other people's set ups. In theory, I love it but it didn't totally click for me. Gonna try a 1992 some time soon.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1850 on: August 16, 2020, 08:58:39 PM »
Less surface area felt like less drag so better nose slides.
I just like a tail heavy setup, but I don’t want all tail like with Dane’s shape. I can’t say that ollies are easier but I like the shorter/wider board aesthetic, maybe it just happened to be a good day but I was instantly used to this one. All my tricks were first try(heelflip, impossible, treflip, sw fs big). I’m gonna skate some curbs with it tomorrow, see if I am still in love with a shape I won’t be able to find again.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1851 on: August 16, 2020, 09:03:42 PM »
I would say the nose of the Dane1 is pretty big. Length wise it's under the standard 32" but it's pretty close and the nose, though it tapers, is still there and is usable. My main issue is that it was a little wide and made my pop feel heavy even though the wheelbase is my ideal. For me it was a one and done even though it looks sick when I see pics of other people's set ups. In theory, I love it but it didn't totally click for me. Gonna try a 1992 some time soon.
1991/1992 shape are both really fun. Both are at or slightly over 32 long vs the Dane is under 31.5 which makes my foot come off every Ollie I try. 14.25/14.4 wb is optimal for Me to keep my flip tricks And not have my setup feel like a Cadillac . Prefer 7 inch nose 6.75 tail. Dane nose is 6.5 or less, it works but feels more cruiser than functional.

I take care of my curbs.

« Reply #1852 on: August 16, 2020, 09:13:51 PM »
Scram 10 something or other that had been warping in storage.  With this Covid shit putting stress on my skateboard manufacturing I’ve been trying to reuse some old decks I have lying around by sanding them and fixing some chips here and there then sealing them back up.  I got rid of the warping by clamping the deck to a workbench and shimming certain spots to flatten it out.  Worked out ok surprisingly.
Ace 66s with sanded bones mediums
Spitfire classic F4 58s
Swiss
1/4 risers
And Indy 1 1/4 bolts. 

Zark

« Reply #1853 on: August 16, 2020, 10:21:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
1991/1992 shape are both really fun. Both are at or slightly over 32 long vs the Dane is under 31.5 which makes my foot come off every Ollie I try. 14.25/14.4 wb is optimal for Me to keep my flip tricks And not have my setup feel like a Cadillac . Prefer 7 inch nose 6.75 tail. Dane nose is 6.5 or less, it works but feels more cruiser than functional.
I'm riding the 91 now which is pretty comfortable, but thinking of the 92 next, do you know the width of the 92 over the back truck, seems to taper more? I'm considering the $lave war pig too but can't seem to find all dimensions besides wb and length, the nose seems pointier and smaller, but after hearing these opinions I'm willing to try.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1854 on: August 16, 2020, 10:25:23 PM »
Totally guessing but the 1992 is probably 8.5 over the back trucks. Here's the dims from the Polar site if it's any help:
9.25" (WIDEST POINT) X 32"
NOSE: 6.875"
WHEEL BASE: 14.25"
TAIL: 6.625"

Zark

« Reply #1855 on: August 16, 2020, 10:30:18 PM »
Totally guessing but the 1992 is probably 8.5 over the back trucks. Here's the dims from the Polar site if it's any help:
I'm riding 169's which is alright on the 91 shape, but I think it's closer to 8.75 in the back, I'm wondering if the 92 would need 159's which I'm not sure I'd be willing to change to try it. That nose and tail and wb look good though

JB77

« Reply #1856 on: August 17, 2020, 03:10:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looks like it might be a slightly slimmed down version of Jim's Real "Wrench Justice" deck from 1991.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1857 on: August 17, 2020, 06:17:34 AM »
Some hot shit posted in the last page.
Really curious about 1/4" risers and 58-60mm wheels now. Thinking about it seems monster truck status, something about lower quicker pop seems more comfortable. The higher feels tippy? Even with larger wheels?

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1858 on: August 17, 2020, 06:20:59 AM »

Rad rails
Jessup

One of my favourite decks! The wheelbase, the feel of the tail, everything was perfect on it

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1859 on: August 17, 2020, 07:30:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm riding 169's which is alright on the 91 shape, but I think it's closer to 8.75 in the back, I'm wondering if the 92 would need 159's which I'm not sure I'd be willing to change to try it. That nose and tail and wb look good though
I
1992 does taper more than 1991, 8.6 wide at the back truck. I ride 159s because for any flip tricks the 169 is sluggish and almost impossible to flip.