Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 543536 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4320 on: January 22, 2022, 11:56:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For people skating 8.75"+ popsicles, what is your sneaker size? I'm currently on 8.5" and it still feels like my size 12's are hanging off the board a ton. I just have so much 8.5" gear it's going to be tough to switch to 8.75 or 9".
[close]

I’m also a size 12. I rode 8.5 for nearly 20 years then got a 9” AH orange eagle about 3 years ago. Since then I’ve ridden a few 8.75” decks, but I can’t do anything smaller than that now. Going up in size is easy, coming back down is tough. Once you ride a board where your toes don’t hang over, going back just feels wrong
[close]
size 12.5-13
stuck on 8.5 for the time being...missing the extra width
if more brands made short wheelbase 8.75s thats all id ride
square 8.75 is basically nonexistent for some reason
might have to start redrilling and shaping my own boards
9.0+ mandatory for transitions
[close]

Alien workshop makes a full/square(ish) 8.75 with a 14.25 WB that I'm a huge fan of.
[close]
Antihero also just dropped a 8.75 w/14.25wb a few months back. Very similar to a lot of DLX shapes if that's your thing. The current version has the Gnarmaste graphic but it's coming in at least two other graphics that I know of so it looks like it's staying in their regular releases.
[close]
one is coming out as a blue eagle, its screeching my name
31.75 length>32.25 of the AWS
dont need all that board for street skating imo

I got a creature stumps 8.8 and Reading you all’s convo is getting me hyped to set it up. Im so use to 8.5s but with a size 12 foot. It kinda sucks. I wanna go bigger so I got the 8.8 measures close to 8.75 but I’m afraid I’ll lose flip tricks and stuff I just skate ledges usually but y’all talking definitely got me hyped to set it up today.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #4321 on: January 23, 2022, 12:55:03 PM »
Curious if any of you have tried flattening the kicks with your car? There is a couple of Enjoi boards that are around the size and wb that I like best and is hard to find. The kicks are too steep for me tho!! I think theres a 8.75 with 14.25 WB. Also a 9 with same WB

Currently riding a Shawn Hale Birdhouse thats 8.7 x 32 and (dont hate me) 14.375 wb. I really like shape but the only place that has them now is baker boys for $70. I love the shape  but I've cracked on so far and the one I currently am riding is sounding like its slowly breaking ha!

Thank dudes!

**just noticed this in 9+ hahah, my bad guys! I thought I was posting in WBSWB but here I am. Thank you @Woodshop
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 11:29:44 PM by TurdyBird »
The chillest1

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4322 on: January 23, 2022, 03:53:21 PM »
Curious if any of you have tried flattening the kicks with your car? There is a couple of Enjoi boards that are around the size and wb that I like best and is hard to find. The kicks are too steep for me tho!! I think theres a 8.75 with 14.25 WB. Also a 9 with same WB

Currently riding a Shawn Hale Birdhouse thats 8.7 x 32 and (dont hate me) 14.375 wb. I really like shape but the only place that has them now is baker boys for $70. I love the shape  but I've cracked on so far and the one I currently am riding is sounding like its slowly breaking ha!

Thank dudes!

Yes I have flattened lots of boards, mainly but not limited to BBS wood and they never have issues or break, but a friend of mine has cracked a couple of Dwindle boards by trying the park on the kicks method of flattening them out.  It is odd, as some of the same boards have been fine and held up (but flattened a few degrees) but others have straight up cracked or broken from Dwindle - same boards from the same shop in the same drop, which doesn't make sense.

That is parking on the kicks with a small car (Corolla) for a short while for just a bit of change, or overnight for significant changes, which have taken the angles of kick on the tail from 21 degrees to about 17 degrees.

So yes it does work on Dwindle boards too, but be warned, just in case it is so stiff that there is no bend and it just cracks or straight up breaks.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4323 on: January 24, 2022, 08:25:50 AM »

Tired x Trasher collab 9.25 (13.75"wb)
Black Magic griptape
Thunder Team 151 Hollows
Ricta 52mm worn down to roughly 50mm
Generic abec 9 bearings.

This is my "knee-injury-therapeutic-setup". Out of action for probably 3-5 months. Waiting for my appointment with the orthopedic doctor to determine whether surgery is necessary to repair my worn out knee.

animalflesh

« Reply #4324 on: January 25, 2022, 05:14:09 PM »
What’s the woodshop on those floor boards?

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 732
« Reply #4325 on: January 25, 2022, 06:05:59 PM »

My first setup with 215s really looking forward to taking this out for a spin, love the mutant shape, it’s nice to have an old school style shape but with a nice big nose!

Dead Dave mutant shape 10.1
Independent 215 stage 11 with bones hard bushings
(Trucks are nice and loose but with not as much risk of wheel bite as I expected)
Spitfire classics 53mm
Bones reds
Independent hardware
Jessup grip
Wooden floorboards

Very nice setup!  Putting together something very similar myself.   

Are your new 215s super loose/rattle-y where the hanger meets the pivot cup?  I just picked up a set and you can physically shake the hanger back and forth in the pivot cup a decent amount and the pivot cup falls right out of the baseplate if you take the hanger out.  Was a little bummed on that but it might just be the mold they’re using now…     

oliknight

« Reply #4326 on: January 25, 2022, 06:08:30 PM »
Expand Quote

My first setup with 215s really looking forward to taking this out for a spin, love the mutant shape, it’s nice to have an old school style shape but with a nice big nose!

Dead Dave mutant shape 10.1
Independent 215 stage 11 with bones hard bushings
(Trucks are nice and loose but with not as much risk of wheel bite as I expected)
Spitfire classics 53mm
Bones reds
Independent hardware
Jessup grip
Wooden floorboards
[close]

Very nice setup!  Putting together something very similar myself.   

Are your new 215s super loose/rattle-y where the hanger meets the pivot cup?  I just picked up a set and you can physically shake the hanger back and forth in the pivot cup a decent amount and the pivot cup falls right out of the baseplate if you take the hanger out.  Was a little bummed on that but it might just be the mold they’re using now…     

Okay not that loose haha but the bones bushings make it so you can have them pretty loose and there’s no break in period at all which is great! They make this set up feel even better, just put some 54mm ojs on it for a bit of a softer ride, will post an update picture once I’ve skated it a bit more!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4327 on: January 25, 2022, 06:37:18 PM »

I saw the OCD emailer had all the new Heroin decks, along with some others for Australian people.

Lots of big boards in there, but only a few of each.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/collections/heroin

For whoever was looking for one of these, still two (2) in stock, but more in each colour stain as well:

https://ocd-skateshop.myshopify.com/products/heroin-ditch-witch-5-10-1-skateboard-deck

HEROIN - DITCH WITCH 5 10.1" SKATEBOARD DECK
AU$149.00

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

Four (4) of these in stock:

https://ocd-skateshop.myshopify.com/products/heroin-dead-dave-life-10-0-skateboard-deck

HEROIN - DEAD DAVE LIFE 10.0" SKATEBOARD DECK
AU$139.00

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4328 on: January 26, 2022, 12:10:31 AM »
Saw on insta

disclosed

• Rep: 177
« Reply #4329 on: January 26, 2022, 01:31:13 AM »
Saw on insta

i've been waiting for that Curb Killer 2 for a couple months. my local ordered it so hope they actually get it. (also  hope they ordered a couple since mainland europe missed out quite bad on the last one)

can also spoil the other eggs artwork, the 9.25 symetrical will be similiar to the 9.75 egg that's already out.
and also saw the new Dead Dave will have wheel wells

i hold it in for a while but between now and the next 5 days they all gonna appear online already. that all i saw tho. they only show me the big boards.

djoekr

• Rep: 303
« Reply #4330 on: January 26, 2022, 04:58:48 AM »
Really looking forward to that symmetrical Razor Egg, hope that it's gonna be 9.1 like the original or is that gonna be the 9.25 symmetrical that's gonna drop?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

disclosed

• Rep: 177
« Reply #4331 on: January 26, 2022, 05:15:56 AM »
Really looking forward to that symmetrical Razor Egg, hope that it's gonna be 9.1 like the original or is that gonna be the 9.25 symmetrical that's gonna drop?

the symmetrical razor egg is the 9.5

animalflesh

« Reply #4332 on: January 26, 2022, 05:18:32 AM »
When I see there’s any activity in this thread I know I’m about to see 1 1/2 pages about heroin eggs

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4333 on: January 26, 2022, 05:51:42 AM »

Heroin definitely seem to have a good market share of the big boards covered.

I think the only issue is if there are enough of them to go round, as many people seem to want them but cannot get any, which might be more so just in some areas.

Either way, it is cool to see so many out there.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4334 on: January 28, 2022, 05:21:02 AM »

Blast Skates Amanda Perez 9.75”
Film Trucks
Speedlab American Nomad 56mm

Rad setup. How are the wheels treatin ya? Think I'm gonna use those for my first 9" popsicle setup.

FrontsideFrank

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #4335 on: January 28, 2022, 06:38:09 AM »
Finally crossed that last .25" threshold and set up a 9" pop to enter into OFFICIAL big boy territory. First sesh was a good time.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1333
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4336 on: January 28, 2022, 01:24:45 PM »
Finally crossed that last .25" threshold and set up a 9" pop to enter into OFFICIAL big boy territory. First sesh was a good time.

69 bruh. Nice to see 169s on one of those Enjoi 9" pops. I figured it would be barely noticeable hot rodding but still cool to see one set up. Shoutout Jake the Snake
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4338 on: January 28, 2022, 05:04:10 PM »
That 9" Enjoi looks nice. I enjoyed my 8.75 Enjoi, and I was just thinking about setting it back up last night.  Also found myself clicking around their site last night doing some window shopping (9.12 football looking real nice.) They were never, ever my thing but I guess I like Enjoi now?

FrontsideFrank

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #4339 on: January 28, 2022, 08:02:35 PM »
That 9" Enjoi looks nice. I enjoyed my 8.75 Enjoi, and I was just thinking about setting it back up last night.  Also found myself clicking around their site last night doing some window shopping (9.12 football looking real nice.) They were never, ever my thing but I guess I like Enjoi now?

For real. If you told me 10 years ago that I'd be skating the shit out of dwindle boards, I woulda thought you were crazy. Here I am though. The 8.75 pop shape got me started (madness) and I've ran through like 3 of the pilz 9.1 egg shapes. I'm a big fan of that one. It's worth checking out if you're into eggs. Reminds me alot of the villani egg, but a hair steeper concave.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #4340 on: January 28, 2022, 08:50:49 PM »

Put some bigger wheels and some rails on the Beamer so it's a bit more of a truck.  Funnily enough it's now easier to ollie it.

Krooked Beamer
Indy 215s
Slimeball vomits 60mm 95a
Welcome Candy Bars

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #4341 on: January 29, 2022, 07:04:04 AM »

Put some bigger wheels and some rails on the Beamer so it's a bit more of a truck.  Funnily enough it's now easier to ollie it.

Krooked Beamer
Indy 215s
Welcome Candy Bars

I’d skate that. I’d skate that so hard. Are those diamond shapes  routed, and if so, how do they affect the rails? 

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4342 on: January 29, 2022, 09:14:40 AM »
9.25" Couch... The 151s seemed to fit my last one well but this one looks a little magic carpet in real life. Tempted to put my 55s on it but it will be pretty squirrely with Aces...

Fhk

« Reply #4343 on: January 29, 2022, 09:49:54 AM »
9.25" Couch... The 151s seemed to fit my last one well but this one looks a little magic carpet in real life. Tempted to put my 55s on it but it will be pretty squirrely with Aces...

Very nice! How wide is the couch at the back truck?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4344 on: January 29, 2022, 09:56:09 AM »
8.75"

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 732
« Reply #4345 on: January 29, 2022, 10:45:56 AM »

Skating 169s on a couch shape right now.  They’re a little noticeable sticking out in the back depending on what angle you’re looking down at but it’s not too bad.

Such a surprisingly good shape.  Had to rein myself in from preemptively buying another one of the same deck. 

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4346 on: January 29, 2022, 12:01:48 PM »
I wanna buy one of these pretty bad as they're a Milwaukee based company (my home town). They come in 8.25-10".

Anyone know what woodshop the shovelhead shape is from? It says made in USA so I assume South Central or Pennswood.

https://store.beercity.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=56697051e01aba427db076ec684b615d&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BCOS&Product_Code=BCSK8SHSPRIGDE919&Category_Code=BCS

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #4347 on: January 29, 2022, 12:53:09 PM »
I wanna buy one of these pretty bad as they're a Milwaukee based company (my home town). They come in 8.25-10".

Anyone know what woodshop the shovelhead shape is from? It says made in USA so I assume South Central or Pennswood.

https://store.beercity.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=56697051e01aba427db076ec684b615d&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BCOS&Product_Code=BCSK8SHSPRIGDE919&Category_Code=BCS

Beer City has their own wood shop I believe. They’re boards are really sturdy. Definitely a solid pickup and they last forever I’ve heard. I have one but I never skated it.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #4348 on: January 29, 2022, 12:54:01 PM »
Expand Quote

Krooked Beamer
Indy 215s
Welcome Candy Bars
[close]

I’d skate that. I’d skate that so hard. Are those diamond shapes  routed, and if so, how do they affect the rails?

Yeah it’s a couple of plys deep. Rails dip down a bit but also, as a Beamer, it dips up between the rails. Was going to run them along the channel but didn’t like it. Put the screws straight through the board on my first go lol

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4349 on: January 29, 2022, 02:37:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Skating 169s on a couch shape right now.  They’re a little noticeable sticking out in the back depending on what angle you’re looking down at but it’s not too bad.

Such a surprisingly good shape.  Had to rein myself in from preemptively buying another one of the same deck.

Took mine out for a quick flat/ curb session and I am now in the same boat... want another to stockpile... so fun. The 151s work so well with the short wheelbase. Made the transition from a 14.75 WB with Aces feel pretty seamless.