Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 543395 times)

finecojeffe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5760 on: September 25, 2023, 09:28:03 AM »
Expand Quote

Having so much on this thing that there's a good chance this will become my daily driver...
  • Krooked Zip Zogger 10.75" x 30" WB 14.3"
  • Ace AF1 80's
  • Ace 1" Allen
  • Ace 1/8" Risers
  • Bones Swiss
  • Spitfire F4 Gonz Conical Full 99a 58's
[close]

that's a beauty..

definitely is. I wonder how smaller trucks, like the ace 66, would go on these. Is the nose very useable or is it too small for slides?

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #5761 on: September 25, 2023, 09:44:49 AM »
that's a beauty..

Cheers  8)

definitely is. I wonder how smaller trucks, like the ace 66, would go on these. Is the nose very useable or is it too small for slides?

A friend of mine skated this shape for a few years and had it set up on 215's and I loved it, so I went with 80's on mine and could not be happier. That said, if you'd want to go smaller than a 10" hanger AF1 77's would probably fit way better than 66's unless you're after a hoverboard setup. The thing I would personally find weird with a hanger smaller than 10" would be you have so much meat in the center of the board that locking in on a smith or feeble with a smaller truck would probably feel super weird. With the 10's I can lock in and sit in smiths really well which makes it super fun for me (since thats one of like 5 tricks I do anymore hahaha). 

As far as the nose, I can do crooks on a quarter, nose stall reverts and most of my grab tricks (tail blocks & crails) feel fine... So I'd say it's a useable nose. I'd consider the shape "pig adjacent", but I don't feel like my foot is going to fly off which is one of my biggest complaints about skating pig shapes.

My biggest complaint is adjusting to the weight when going to pop the board into my hand for tricks like bean or texas plants, but its not a deal breaker and I honestly think this is going to become my daily driver for bowls since I'm having a blast with how well the 10" trucks lock in on grinds.

The clips linked are from the first time skating the bowl on it and I pretty quickly adapted to it since the wheelbase is pretty much the same as the Sweatpants shape I've been on for the past 6 months.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxgz4nyJXAI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5762 on: September 25, 2023, 10:01:24 AM »
Expand Quote
that's a beauty..
[close]

Cheers  8)

Expand Quote
[close]

A friend of mine skated this shape for a few years and had it set up on 215's and I loved it, so I went with 80's on mine and could not be happier. That said, if you'd want to go smaller than a 10" hanger AF1 77's would probably fit way better than 66's unless you're after a hoverboard setup. The thing I would personally find weird with a hanger smaller than 10" would be you have so much meat in the center of the board that locking in on a smith or feeble with a smaller truck would probably feel super weird. With the 10's I can lock in and sit in smiths really well which makes it super fun for me (since thats one of like 5 tricks I do anymore hahaha). 

As far as the nose, I can do crooks on a quarter, nose stall reverts and most of my grab tricks (tail blocks & crails) feel fine... So I'd say it's a useable nose. I'd consider the shape "pig adjacent", but I don't feel like my foot is going to fly off which is one of my biggest complaints about skating pig shapes.

My biggest complaint is adjusting to the weight when going to pop the board into my hand for tricks like bean or texas plants, but its not a deal breaker and I honestly think this is going to become my daily driver for bowls since I'm having a blast with how well the 10" trucks lock in on grinds.

The clips linked are from the first time skating the bowl on it and I pretty quickly adapted to it since the wheelbase is pretty much the same as the Sweatpants shape I've been on for the past 6 months.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxgz4nyJXAI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Nice clip! Thanks for the reply as well. I think I'm going to grab this deck. I hear you with pig shapes and losing the front foot. Years ago skating kona I was on a board without a nose and took a pretty bad spill in the j-run because a lose the front foot off the nose trying to ollie on the inside curve and lost so much skin off my hand when I came down because it was such rough concrete in there at that time.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #5763 on: September 25, 2023, 04:05:55 PM »
Swampy just went pro for Heroin and in the IG story celebration, it was mentioned that his egg pro model will be a 9.25”. I’ll say it’s safe to assume his popsicle will be a 9+” as well.

disclosed

• Rep: 177
« Reply #5764 on: September 26, 2023, 07:33:16 AM »
Swampy just went pro for Heroin and in the IG story celebration, it was mentioned that his egg pro model will be a 9.25”. I’ll say it’s safe to assume his popsicle will be a 9+” as well.

yes, thats a 9" popsicle.

sbr

« Reply #5765 on: September 26, 2023, 02:05:32 PM »
Nice clip! Thanks for the reply as well. I think I'm going to grab this deck. I hear you with pig shapes and losing the front foot. Years ago skating kona I was on a board without a nose and took a pretty bad spill in the j-run because a lose the front foot off the nose trying to ollie on the inside curve and lost so much skin off my hand when I came down because it was such rough concrete in there at that time.

I set up one of the Navs Relic graphic pig boards a while back thinking I'd love the thing and it lasted one session before I sold it to a friend because I felt like I was going to fall off the front of it even though I don't really do much on the nose. I had a similar experience when I set up a Welcome Miller crossbone shape and could not get used to how it felt.

I was on the fence about the Zogger, but wanted something I could set up with 10" trucks and since the wheelbase is basically the same as the Sweatpants shape I figured I'd give it a shot (since it'd take very little time to acclimate switching between the two). I took it to the local once so far and skated my driveway a few times (2.5' quarter) and I'm honestly having a hard time justifying NOT skating this over the Sweatpants setup. I was worried tricks would feel a bit off, but thus far the only thing that feels odd is getting used to how heavy it is for tricks where I have to shoot the board into my hand. Crails feel surprisingly normal on it and I could probably spend a full session at the bowl doing smith grinds because of how rad they feel locking in on this thing.
Small man, big board...

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #5766 on: September 26, 2023, 10:30:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Having so much on this thing that there's a good chance this will become my daily driver...
  • Krooked Zip Zogger 10.75" x 30" WB 14.3"
  • Ace AF1 80's
  • Ace 1" Allen
  • Ace 1/8" Risers
  • Bones Swiss
  • Spitfire F4 Gonz Conical Full 99a 58's
[close]

that's a beauty..
[close]

The nearest skateshop that hv this board is Thailand.. If i order frm TGM, shipping cost more than the board to Borneo Island..

Orangepulp1000

« Reply #5767 on: September 27, 2023, 01:33:30 AM »
 Anyone know how the black label Max shape compares to the krooked sweatpant shape?. Managed to score some barley skated U.S made 169’s for $20 Aud so putting together a fuck around/curb board but can’t decide between those two. I don’t flip my board a whole lot but do a lot of crooks and noseslides.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5768 on: September 27, 2023, 04:04:54 AM »
Anyone know how the black label Max shape compares to the krooked sweatpant shape?. Managed to score some barley skated U.S made 169’s for $20 Aud so putting together a fuck around/curb board but can’t decide between those two. I don’t flip my board a whole lot but do a lot of crooks and noseslides.

I was thinking it had a massive taper to the back, so when I was looking at it, I put it back as it was just too narrow at the back for anything I wanted to run on it, but I am sure you can put those 169s on it without too much trouble.

That said, I am sure some people would be happy with anything on it and there have been a few on here in the past, although I can't find any from basic searches.  I didn't go looking page by page.

When I was looking online, I did find what you want from Tactics:

https://www.tactics.com/black-label/evans-axe-9625-reissue-skateboard-deck/teal

SPECS
SIZE   9.625
FRONT WIDTH (IN):   9.25
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   9.625
BACK WIDTH (IN):   8.625
LENGTH (IN):   31.875
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.0 - 14.5
NOSE (IN):   6.5 - 7.0
TAIL (IN):   6.75

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5769 on: September 27, 2023, 04:10:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My shape from now on
[close]

That Label is sick.  What size trucks are you running?  Can you share the width at the mounting holes?
[close]

Ace AF1 66

The last one measured 8.8 back truck and a little over 9.2 front truck

Here's a Max board with 9" trucks on it.

Knew it was there somewhere and just had to sift through pages.

Another one, as I seem to recall the Curb Nerd was the Max shape, but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Been a while since I posted a setup.
First day on this one
Black Label Curb nerd 9.63 x 32 14/14.5 wb
Indy 159 hollow w/krux kingpin
Spitfire f4 radial full 99a 56mm
Quantum isotopes
Rad railz wide
Jessup
Bender Allen
Dunks

Black Label Curb Nerd 9.63" x 32" with 14-14.5" adjustable wheelbase (set at 14")
Lurpiv IKP 159
Dogtown Rallys 54mm 99a
Bones Super Swiss 6
Jessup Ultra
7/8" hardware

Been a while since I've skated a deck that's 32" long, which is definitely something I'm still getting used to.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 04:19:11 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Orangepulp1000

« Reply #5770 on: September 27, 2023, 06:34:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was thinking it had a massive taper to the back, so when I was looking at it, I put it back as it was just too narrow at the back for anything I wanted to run on it, but I am sure you can put those 169s on it without too much trouble.

That said, I am sure some people would be happy with anything on it and there have been a few on here in the past, although I can't find any from basic searches.  I didn't go looking page by page.

SPECS
SIZE   9.625

ahhh legend! Thanks for that, exactly the info I was after. I couldn’t really find much info from the shops here in Aus. Even a top photo was a struggle. It does seem to taper quite a bit. Think I’ll go with the sweatpant shape as I did see a photo with 169’s on here and doesn’t seem to stick out too much over the back. Thanks again!

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #5771 on: September 27, 2023, 08:01:23 AM »
Any folks riding 10” trucks find locking in hard? Talking about transition, mainly. My 10” trucks have the heelside groove in the same place as all my 9” trucks. BS lock in feels vague, but when I shift so the heel wheel is tight to the coping, I bail. I don’t know if it’s a muscle memory thing or a physics thing where the wheels are just too far out from the centerline to make locking in practical or possible.

boneless900

• Rep: 58
« Reply #5772 on: September 27, 2023, 09:40:59 AM »
https://www.awhsales.com/p-83657-heroin-team-wide-boy-egg-shaped-deck-1075.aspx

New Heroin drop has a 10.75 egg called the Wide Boy. Couldn't get my hands on an Eggzilla last time so I'm gonna lurk hard to snag a Wide Boy

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #5773 on: September 27, 2023, 10:29:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

SPECS
SIZE   9.625

ahhh legend! Thanks for that, exactly the info I was after. I couldn’t really find much info from the shops here in Aus. Even a top photo was a struggle. It does seem to taper quite a bit. Think I’ll go with the sweatpant shape as I did see a photo with 169’s on here and doesn’t seem to stick out too much over the back. Thanks again!
[close]

I've had both the Max shape (same as curb nerd) and the Sweatpants. I set up my Max with 159s and 169s on my sweatpants. I have my Max set up with the 14.5 WB and the nose feels  pretty small. I'm sure if you switched to the smaller 14 WB, the nose would feel more normal, but that WB is too small for me.

DubStyleeCA

• Rep: -7
« Reply #5774 on: September 27, 2023, 11:00:15 AM »

New Heroin drop has a 10.75 egg called the Wide Boy. Couldn't get my hands on an Eggzilla last time so I'm gonna lurk hard to snag a Wide Boy

The eggzilla was wild. I tried it for a bit with someone in our family who has it

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5775 on: September 27, 2023, 03:35:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

SPECS
SIZE   9.625

[close]

[close]

I've had both the Max shape (same as curb nerd) and the Sweatpants. I set up my Max with 159s and 169s on my sweatpants. I have my Max set up with the 14.5 WB and the nose feels  pretty small. I'm sure if you switched to the smaller 14 WB, the nose would feel more normal, but that WB is too small for me.

For sure!

As much as I think Black Label is awesome, the Sweatpants shape might well be the better of the two, but that is just me - prefer a little more width right through the board and less taper.

Sweatpants just sits better to me with something like 9.1 at front and 8.8 at back, so it works well on 169s for me too.  I got a few and between that and the Black Label Street Thing / Van man board shape, those two are loads of fun and work really well in that category of board.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #5776 on: September 27, 2023, 05:38:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The eggzilla was wild. I tried it for a bit with someone in our family who has it

That wide boy is wild!

I'm on the 9.5" Razor Egg and kinda want to fuck with that 10" Curb Killer egg.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #5777 on: September 27, 2023, 08:57:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

SPECS
SIZE   9.625

[close]

[close]

[close]

For sure!

As much as I think Black Label is awesome, the Sweatpants shape might well be the better of the two, but that is just me - prefer a little more width right through the board and less taper.

Sweatpants just sits better to me with something like 9.1 at front and 8.8 at back, so it works well on 169s for me too.  I got a few and between that and the Black Label Street Thing / Van man board shape, those two are loads of fun and work really well in that category of board.

I know @Mbrimson88 isnt in the states but if you guys are you may want to check out Motuary Skates. One of Gurneys shapes is like a cross between a Sweatpants and Manvan(or Street thing same shape).

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #5778 on: September 28, 2023, 12:41:56 AM »

I know @Mbrimson88 isnt in the states but if you guys are you may want to check out Motuary Skates. One of Gurneys shapes is like a cross between a Sweatpants and Manvan(or Street thing same shape).

That does look like a good one too.

Still PS Stix for wood?  That's what I had it as for the woodshop listing.

Some people who are not too fond of BBS might prefer that one as well, just as another option.

https://www.mortuaryskates.com/

I can only see 9.625 as width, so what are the other dimensions on that board?

Thanks.

TheSickness

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5779 on: September 28, 2023, 08:29:04 AM »
crail couch, venture 6.1, spit f4 55mm, lil jawns rails. Absolute fun all arounder for me. Flips well, boardslides fast even when going slow, and the grind feels pretty good. Haven't had ventures for maybe 29-30 years now.

Where's this graphic from?  I've been riding couch decks for a few years now and haven't seen that before - is that some sort of sticker?

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5780 on: September 28, 2023, 09:04:23 AM »
Expand Quote
crail couch, venture 6.1, spit f4 55mm, lil jawns rails. Absolute fun all arounder for me. Flips well, boardslides fast even when going slow, and the grind feels pretty good. Haven't had ventures for maybe 29-30 years now.

[close]

Where's this graphic from?  I've been riding couch decks for a few years now and haven't seen that before - is that some sort of sticker?
i made it. It's paint, no sticker.

FunnyBunny

• Rep: 18
« Reply #5781 on: September 28, 2023, 09:48:54 AM »
I went looking for that too when I first saw it,  looks super sick!

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5782 on: September 28, 2023, 09:56:44 AM »
I went looking for that too when I first saw it,  looks super sick!
thank you! Much appreciated.

I've been painting every couch/loveseat/phawt i've had since the generic crail graphic isn't appealing to me, but the shapes most definitely are.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #5783 on: September 28, 2023, 10:10:36 AM »
Any folks riding 10” trucks find locking in hard? Talking about transition, mainly. My 10” trucks have the heelside groove in the same place as all my 9” trucks. BS lock in feels vague, but when I shift so the heel wheel is tight to the coping, I bail. I don’t know if it’s a muscle memory thing or a physics thing where the wheels are just too far out from the centerline to make locking in practical or possible.

Stand up grinds are definitely harder with 10” trucks. The people I know that ride them mostly do carve grinds and slash grinds.

sbr

« Reply #5784 on: September 28, 2023, 10:26:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stand up grinds are definitely harder with 10” trucks. The people I know that ride them mostly do carve grinds and slash grinds.

I actually prefer the lock-in on 10" trucks. It took about 20-30 minutes on the first day to fully acclimate to pushing all the way into and out of grinds, but once I got the feel for it I've had no issue locking up against my wheel. The added hanger room and board width made smiths feel way better and more controlled for me as well, especially for FS tail grab or seatbelt smiths.

Shitty iPhone clip screen grab for reference -
Small man, big board...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #5785 on: September 28, 2023, 10:38:41 AM »
Nice looking bowl. And nice looking BS 5 O. You won.

sbr

« Reply #5786 on: September 28, 2023, 10:40:20 AM »
Nice looking bowl. And nice looking BS 5 O. You won.

Cheers. Should I expect my prize in the mail? hahaha
Small man, big board...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #5787 on: September 28, 2023, 10:41:30 AM »
You already got your prize and you know it. Keep ripping.

sbr

« Reply #5788 on: September 28, 2023, 10:43:26 AM »
You already got your prize and you know it. Keep ripping.

;D
Small man, big board...

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #5789 on: September 28, 2023, 12:54:52 PM »

Antihero Brian Anderson Toasted 9.25" x 32.25". Listed 14.43" wheelbase but I measured 14.38".
Independent 159 with hollow axle and Indy 92a barrel bushings.
Spitfire F4 Radial Full 58mm 97a
Quantum Atom Bearings
Indy 1" hardware
MOB
Thunder 1/8" risers

Debated putting black rails on this but then realized I don't want to deal with bending the rails to the shape of the board and the installation.