Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 543510 times)

animalflesh

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5850 on: November 06, 2023, 02:04:18 PM »
If any industry people are lurking here, I’m for hire.

But let’s get back to the big boards. I realistically don’t know how much I’ll ride the Scram outside of big transition.

I’ve got some more big boys ready to go that I’ll share once my black widow is done.

That shape is super stable but not very maneuverable

It looks great when you’re standing on it too

WelcomeToHell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #5851 on: November 06, 2023, 02:11:03 PM »
Sea Rat 9” popsicle
Indy Stage IV 166s
Snot Snellings 56mm
Reds
Jessup

I’ve ridden a couple of the Capt. Walker Shovels that Dominic makes and they’re some of the best feeling boards I’ve ever ridden. This popsicle does not disappoint.

As always, excuse the dirty rug and atrocious grip job.

Ant

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5852 on: November 11, 2023, 02:54:15 AM »
I've skated this maybe twice in the last few months. Lost my job and weirdly that has left me less time to do the skate. I'm also what you'd call a beginner even though I start skating in the 90s and I always feel self conscious in front of people especially going to a new park. Anyway got over myself and went to the amazing indoor park near me for the first time https://f51.co.uk/

Rode my Dane 1 with Ace classic 55s, F4 99a 53ish

I've always preferred a tighter truck, but these ACEs are loose in such a good way, I am a convert. Had a great time bombing around doing kick turns, and other basic stuff :)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5853 on: November 11, 2023, 04:49:34 PM »
I've skated this maybe twice in the last few months. Lost my job and weirdly that has left me less time to do the skate. I'm also what you'd call a beginner even though I start skating in the 90s and I always feel self conscious in front of people especially going to a new park. Anyway got over myself and went to the amazing indoor park near me for the first time https://f51.co.uk/

Rode my Dane 1 with Ace classic 55s, F4 99a 53ish

I've always preferred a tighter truck, but these ACEs are loose in such a good way, I am a convert. Had a great time bombing around doing kick turns, and other basic stuff :)

Sometimes different combinations can be a welcome change.

At least making it work and just enjoying it for what it is should help and that combination definitely looks like fun, as does that skatepark.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

max_o

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5854 on: November 16, 2023, 01:51:26 PM »

Krooked 9.81
Ace classic 55
Spitfire f4 radial full 56mm 97a
Some damn good jazz ;)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5855 on: November 16, 2023, 03:03:49 PM »

Krooked 9.81
Ace classic 55
Some damn good jazz ;)

that is giving me some nostalgia, not sure if it’s misplaced, but that reminds me of better days

those wheels are gonna feel nice on bullshit surfaces for certain

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5856 on: November 16, 2023, 05:13:45 PM »

Polar 9.0
Indy Forged Hollow 159/Bones Hard/3 washers inside
Bones 56mm v6 X99a
Bronson G2
Pepper Galaxy Grip
1/4" Indy risers
Shorty's 1 1/8" Allen
Half Cabs

This is my 5th Polar 9.0 and I just keep coming back to it. It's big and comfortable but still a popsicle and functional. Every other time I've skated this deck I used 169's but decided to magic carpet this one to make it a little lighter and easier to fling around and I'm loving it so far.

djoekr

• Rep: 303
« Reply #5857 on: November 17, 2023, 12:14:54 AM »

Krooked 9.81
Ace classic 55
Some damn good jazz ;)

You ride the 56s without risers? How's the wheelbite with the Aces? Currently skating the same setup but with 54mm Conicals instead. I've been looking to get either 54 or 56 Radials as I skate a lot of crusty spots, but I don't really wanna mess around with risers.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5858 on: November 17, 2023, 07:16:29 AM »

You ride the 56s without risers? How's the wheelbite with the Aces? Currently skating the same setup but with 54mm Conicals instead. I've been looking to get either 54 or 56 Radials as I skate a lot of crusty spots, but I don't really wanna mess around with risers.

i'm gonna chime in here because I ride ace 55 on 56mm wheels as well on one of my setups, also ace af1 60 on another setup with 56mm wheels. I don't have a problem with wheelbite, and I keep the aces completely stock, no kingpin adjustment. I'm just around 175lb for reference. Obviously the wheels do hit the board but I've never had any issues with total wheelbite to where I stop moving at all. 56mm wheels have been my standard for close to 25 years now as well. I deviate a little from time to time, but usually come back to that size. I also ride an array of trucks and have never had an issue with wheelbite being so distracting that i've thought to put risers on at 56mm. At 57-58mm is where I toss on some risers, but even then if I sand out some wheel wells, i'll remove the risers.

max_o

« Reply #5859 on: November 17, 2023, 09:28:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i'm gonna chime in here because I ride ace 55 on 56mm wheels as well on one of my setups, also ace af1 60 on another setup with 56mm wheels. I don't have a problem with wheelbite, and I keep the aces completely stock, no kingpin adjustment. I'm just around 175lb for reference. Obviously the wheels do hit the board but I've never had any issues with total wheelbite to where I stop moving at all. 56mm wheels have been my standard for close to 25 years now as well. I deviate a little from time to time, but usually come back to that size. I also ride an array of trucks and have never had an issue with wheelbite being so distracting that i've thought to put risers on at 56mm. At 57-58mm is where I toss on some risers, but even then if I sand out some wheel wells, i'll remove the risers.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention I have Real 3-ply risers on there to alleviate wheelbite. That plus a bit of wax on the areas of contact seems to do the trick, but I have always had a problem with wheelbite, even with smaller wheels/less swervy truck combos.
Took her out on her maiden voyage today, skated a dream on a smooth park. Felt very comfy underfoot, a good combo all round. Wheels slide nicely with just a hint of gumminess, but still fast.
Proof here:

turdtastic

• Rep: 56
« Reply #5860 on: November 17, 2023, 09:38:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Oh yes, I forgot to mention I have Real 3-ply risers on there to alleviate wheelbite. That plus a bit of wax on the areas of contact seems to do the trick, but I have always had a problem with wheelbite, even with smaller wheels/less swervy truck combos.
Took her out on her maiden voyage today, skated a dream on a smooth park. Felt very comfy underfoot, a good combo all round. Wheels slide nicely with just a hint of gumminess, but still fast.
Proof here:
Sick back tail, wish I could!!

max_o

« Reply #5861 on: November 17, 2023, 09:57:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Proof here:
[close]
Thanks! If only I could do them on curbs and ledges –  3 foot quarters are my terrain of choice these days. This bigger set up is supposedly my transition ‘retirement’ board, as my knee is completely fucked after several surgeries and 35 years of skating, and I don’t want to feel tempted to ollie into stuff so much.  Mind you, I recall a similar ‘retirement’ set up in the early ‘00s when I stepped up to an 8 inch board with indys - denial!

turdtastic

• Rep: 56
« Reply #5862 on: November 17, 2023, 11:23:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Proof here:
[close]
[close]
Thanks! If only I could do them on curbs and ledges –  3 foot quarters are my terrain of choice these days. This bigger set up is supposedly my transition ‘retirement’ board, as my knee is completely fucked after several surgeries and 35 years of skating, and I don’t want to feel tempted to ollie into stuff so much.  Mind you, I recall a similar ‘retirement’ set up in the early ‘00s when I stepped up to an 8 inch board with indys - denial!
Max, roll forever baby…

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5863 on: November 18, 2023, 07:35:16 AM »
Over the past year I found myself skating harder at 49 and worked on a video part all summer and early fall skating smaller boards. But pushed myself too hard and had a knee injury, been rehabbing for a bit so I went back to a 9 and feels great.

Black label Jason Adams 9 x 32.62 14.5 wb
(This shape has a nice long tail and I love it)
Indy 169 w/low kingpin baseplates and 92a medium hard bushings
Spitfire f4 lock-in full 55mm 99a
Quantum atoms
Rad railz
Jessup
Roughneck Allen 1”
I tried so many shoes since September but back to dunks
Knee is doing a lot better, crazy rehab schedule and started doing a cold plunge every morning.
(I really don’t like this graphic)

djoekr

• Rep: 303
« Reply #5864 on: November 18, 2023, 07:40:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hmm, might give 'em a shot then. My F4s always shrink real quick because I'm mostly skating rough surfaces and tend to do a lot of powerslides to slow down, so the extra 2mm might give me a bit more bang for my buck.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5865 on: November 18, 2023, 07:45:14 AM »
Over the past year I found myself skating harder at 49 and worked on a video part all summer and early fall skating smaller boards. But pushed myself too hard and had a knee injury, been rehabbing for a bit so I went back to a 9 and feels great.

Quantum atoms
Rad railz
Jessup
Roughneck Allen 1”
Knee is doing a lot better, crazy rehab schedule and started doing a cold plunge every morning.

got an insole recommendation for the dunks?
i skate in dunks, when i was able to get them, mainly because they are the most tts shoe for my foot. i’m kinda over looking down at them, but i feel broken after i skate in half-cabs.

i’ve been looking at a lot 9’s, trying to decide between the polar and the limosine

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5866 on: November 18, 2023, 07:49:40 AM »
I use the footprint kingfoam orthotic, gives me the most impact protection and it doesn’t make them feel too thick.
I prefer the polar 9, almost the same shape as this black label. Nice full nose and tail. Almost a twin. The limo 9 is a traditional BBS 9 with a long wb(15) which is not for me and my stubby legs. If you are 6’1 or taller and want a longer board go with that.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5867 on: November 18, 2023, 08:06:25 AM »
I use the footprint kingfoam orthotic, gives me the most impact protection and it doesn’t make them feel too thick.
I prefer the polar 9, almost the same shape as this black label. Nice full nose and tail. Almost a twin. The limo 9 is a traditional BBS 9 with a long wb(15) which is not for me and my stubby legs. If you are 6’1 or taller and want a longer board go with that.

ah, they had that limo listed as a 14.8, not that that is much different.
i am considerably shorter than you are.
the point of the 9, for me, was hills mainly, big wheel setup.  the polar 9’looks actually flippable, possibly

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5868 on: November 18, 2023, 08:10:29 AM »
Pretty sure it’s 15 wb but might be slightly smaller.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5869 on: November 18, 2023, 08:18:05 AM »
i think it’s much more likely that they incorrectly listed it, and that it is the stock orange eagle shape.

thanks for the recommendations

animalflesh

« Reply #5870 on: November 18, 2023, 08:55:37 AM »

Quantum atoms
Rad railz
Jessup
Roughneck Allen 1”

I love Jason adams but I can’t get into his art at all

Glad ur feeling well hope to see some ripping sooner than later

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5871 on: November 18, 2023, 09:07:09 AM »
 Thank you, I can skate some but I’m taking it slow and easy.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 216
« Reply #5872 on: November 19, 2023, 12:23:42 PM »

Treated myself to a new large boy after months on smaller setups, had a real blast on this thing today. Don’t think I’ll be able to go sub 9 again. Rails were an experiment, will probably pull them off soon.

Curb Killer V on Ace 77s and 58 OG Classics, Snot rails and risers

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5873 on: November 19, 2023, 01:24:46 PM »
Rails rule for long board slides on a nice double sided curb and combos, also fun for feebles and boardslides on coping.
Takes a little bit to get adjusted but just one fun day to be hooked.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 216
« Reply #5874 on: November 19, 2023, 02:01:03 PM »
Rails rule for long board slides on a nice double sided curb and combos, also fun for feebles and boardslides on coping.
Takes a little bit to get adjusted but just one fun day to be hooked.

Good point - just skated the park and a little single sided curb today so maybe I need to take it to a spot where I can put them to better use before I make my final decision.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5875 on: November 23, 2023, 01:28:17 PM »

Just put together this one which might be not the smartest thing to do since Winter isnalmost here but whatever.
Jacuzzi 9.125
Jessup
Thunder 7/8
Ace AF-1 55
Lock ik full 99 54mm
HKD 5
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5876 on: November 24, 2023, 09:46:01 AM »
thought this was interesting. hockey “belzinz” shape
i think its a kevin rodrigues one off

9.5 widest point
8.4 at the narrowest
31.7 long
14.3 wb
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5877 on: November 24, 2023, 01:48:25 PM »
thought this was interesting. hockey “belzinz” shape
i think its a kevin rodrigues one off

9.5 widest point
8.4 at the narrowest
31.7 long
14.3 wb

sick

animalflesh

« Reply #5878 on: December 08, 2023, 04:26:43 AM »
Free eart key from my friend shape didn’t work for him

Scram
Rockets
1/4 riser

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #5879 on: December 08, 2023, 09:47:37 PM »
Free eart key from my friend shape didn’t work for him

Scram
Rockets
1/4 riser

Interested in hearing your thoughts on that one since we seem to have similar tastes in boards for the most part.