Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 5294 times)

BoxStuffer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 114
Re: Chicago
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2020, 06:42:11 AM »
Expand Quote

is this the spot youre talking about?

IDK where it is, I dont even live in Chicago anymore, but i've been curious where it is.
[close]

This one looks fun but isn’t the one I’m thinking of. The spot I’m thinking of isn’t covered and the “flatbars” are round and low - metal parking blocks.

I know these aren't yellow, but maybe this spot?

Roosevelt and Canal.  Across the street from the Jewels parking lot on Clinton. 
Enjoy your life.

LUCKY ACID

• Rep: 7
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2020, 07:38:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I realized I don't know much about what's going on in this city, who are some local crews/filmers to check out?
[close]
Jesse Neuhaus and Ferris Bueller would be a good start.  Cap n' Jazz are brilliant.  Josh Kalis and Chaz Ortiz have been properly representing Chicago with their Worldwide popularity.  Best thing about Chicago besides the 85' Bears and 90's Bulls is taking credit for inventing the Backside 360 Ollie kickflip AKA The Chicago Flip!
[close]

Love me some capn jazz, they changed my life. Still listen to analphabetapolotology every once and a while, hits me right in the feels. mid 90s chicago scene had a huge influence on pa/philly music in the mid 2000s, good times.

Goodtimes indeed!  Do you live in PHL, Gritty? 

Gritty

• Rep: 2
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2020, 10:07:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I realized I don't know much about what's going on in this city, who are some local crews/filmers to check out?
[close]
Jesse Neuhaus and Ferris Bueller would be a good start.  Cap n' Jazz are brilliant.  Josh Kalis and Chaz Ortiz have been properly representing Chicago with their Worldwide popularity.  Best thing about Chicago besides the 85' Bears and 90's Bulls is taking credit for inventing the Backside 360 Ollie kickflip AKA The Chicago Flip!
[close]

Love me some capn jazz, they changed my life. Still listen to analphabetapolotology every once and a while, hits me right in the feels. mid 90s chicago scene had a huge influence on pa/philly music in the mid 2000s, good times.
[close]

Goodtimes indeed!  Do you live in PHL, Gritty?

Not anymore unfortunately. Moving was a mistake and I plan to make my way back soon enough.

Sad dad

• Rep: 4
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2020, 02:12:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

IDK where it is, I dont even live in Chicago anymore, but i've been curious where it is.
[close]

This one looks fun but isn’t the one I’m thinking of. The spot I’m thinking of isn’t covered and the “flatbars” are round and low - metal parking blocks.
[close]

I know these aren't yellow, but maybe this spot?

Roosevelt and Canal.  Across the street from the Jewels parking lot on Clinton.

Not the one I'm thinking of but this looks really fun - thanks! I am recently back on the board after a long time off the board so I have no pop - I'll try and be ready for this spot before it snows. Thanks again.

Cliff_Kaufman

• Rep: 15
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2020, 03:07:03 PM »
Im originally from Chicago... Deep Dish crew definitely holds it down, Steffen Watts has my favorite parts in those videos. And yeah if your looking to meet people id say go to Chase Plaza at night or Grant Park.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2020, 04:56:08 PM »
I've got a Chicago spot question.

I saw a clip a while back of someone skating a spot with very low yellow flatbar-like objects - it's a street spot so they aren't really flatbars - more like round metal parking blocks? There are a lot of them in the parking lot, seemingly nothing else to skate at that spot, and the bars are all near the front of a building.

I'd normally try to solve this myself but I can't remember where I saw the clip and none of my friends know what I'm talking about.

I'd really like to skate this place sometime and if someone could let me know where it is I'd really appreciate it.

I think what your talking about is in an alley off the redline on the east side between Thorndale and Ardmore. It's parking spaces for school faculty at Swift Elementary. I dont have a picture of it, but I grew up over there. The bars here are kinda fat, wider than an average flat bar, but low to the ground.

Edit: You can google street view this, to verify. Even though it's an alley it's still on maps, slightly south of Thorndale.

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2020, 05:17:11 PM »

I've only been there once but I think it's by China town off of 18th street. I can't see very well on Google maps but I think it's at a place called "Changing Worlds" across the Chicago River from the Pagoda.

As for the other spot, I can picture it in my head and thought it was by the Pershing barrier for some reason, but I can't find it. Other ones I can think of I think are in Summit off of Archer and Center Ave but aren't very low(like knee high and you pretty much have to pop out).

Sad dad

• Rep: 4
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2020, 06:04:55 PM »
Expand Quote

I saw a clip a while back of someone skating a spot with very low yellow flatbar-like objects - it's a street spot so they aren't really flatbars - more like round metal parking blocks? There are a lot of them in the parking lot, seemingly nothing else to skate at that spot, and the bars are all near the front of a building.

I'd normally try to solve this myself but I can't remember where I saw the clip and none of my friends know what I'm talking about.

I'd really like to skate this place sometime and if someone could let me know where it is I'd really appreciate it.
[close]

I think what your talking about is in an alley off the redline on the east side between Thorndale and Ardmore. It's parking spaces for school faculty at Swift Elementary. I dont have a picture of it, but I grew up over there. The bars here are kinda fat, wider than an average flat bar, but low to the ground.

Edit: You can google street view this, to verify. Even though it's an alley it's still on maps, slightly south of Thorndale.

My dude! This is it! Thanks so much!

Acky Jacky

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2020, 03:19:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My dude! This is it! Thanks so much!

Yay! Sick, I hope you get to shred it!

Sockcucks

• Rep: 2
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2023, 10:19:27 PM »

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2226
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2023, 11:17:15 PM »
Jesse fucking Neuhaus.
‘Nuff said.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2226
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2023, 11:19:59 PM »
Also, Affiliate.
Who, amongst other things, introduced the world to a young hotsteppin’ heelflippa’ called Neen.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 28
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2023, 06:48:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Question about Uprise: I know they’re in Wicker Park or Buck Town or whatever now. I think I read that they used to be down south at first. But were they ever located on Clark like across from Weiner's Circle? Or is that a different shop I’m thinking of?

I lived in Chicago for a long time, but was going through a not-so-much skating phase when I lived on the north side. By the time I was fully skating again I was living in the suburbs.
[close]

They used to be on a different part of Milwaukee with a much cooler sign out front, but I don't think they were ever on Clark, and I don't think there was ever a shop that close to Weiner Circle.

Are you thinking of Windward Sports on Clark? They were farther north on Clark (only a mile or so). Had an amazing 2.5' micro ramp in the basement where I spent the majority of my winters from 2001-2008.

I loved Windward back in the day. Used to make the trek up there from the south suburbs with my mom before i could drive.  Bought my first 411VM there back in 96 and an A-Team Chet Thomas deck when those first came out. I never got a chance to skate that micro-mini, but it always looked so fun

Dustgod

• Rep: 0
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2023, 09:02:00 AM »
Anyone remember Armory in Albany Park? A little bit smaller than Uprise but it was definitely a good local hang out shop. I moved away from that neighborhood in like ‘09 and I think it closed shortly after that
Nice to meet you, I’m a artis

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2023, 05:10:45 PM »
Also, Affiliate.
Who, amongst other things, introduced the world to a young hotsteppin’ heelflippa’ called Neen.

RIP Reggie

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2023, 05:37:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Also, Affiliate.
[close]

RIP Reggie

Also introduced the world to a young Pat Pasquale aka Sinner lol.

I rode so many Affiliate decks in the early 2000’s. Used to get them for $20 brand new.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2023, 07:11:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Also, Affiliate.
[close]

RIP Reggie
[close]

Also introduced the world to a young Pat Pasquale aka Sinner lol.

I rode so many Affiliate decks in the early 2000’s. Used to get them for $20 brand new.

The only Pat that skated for Affiliate that mattered was Pat Washington.