Author Topic: Why don't ripndip get more shit for being scumbags?  (Read 39046 times)

Monopolyman

Re: Why don't ripndip get more shit for being scumbags?
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2021, 02:02:03 PM »
I get Thrasher needs to sell ads but what message does it send to the skate community that RipNdip gets a monthly spread in the mag.  Its enough I gotta pass the ripndip store next to supreme LA all the time.  How can you even blame uninformed people for buying their shit when the brand seems to have tacit approval from the arbiters of skate culture.

alonelikeastone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2021, 02:14:13 PM »
I know personally, as a skateboarder, I criticize the companies I like or that matter.
And I feel many skaters are this way. Hence Sip and Dip get very little attention good or bad.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2021, 02:20:44 PM »
I get Thrasher needs to sell ads but what message does it send to the skate community that RipNdip gets a monthly spread in the mag.  Its enough I gotta pass the ripndip store next to supreme LA all the time.  How can you even blame uninformed people for buying their shit when the brand seems to have tacit approval from the arbiters of skate culture.

morals don’t keep the lights on

Monopolyman

« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2021, 02:38:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

morals don’t keep the lights on

I understand why theyre doing it, Im just saying I think its abhorrent and we should be holding them to a higher standard. 

Youre telling me Thrasher would have to scale back what theyre doing without the support of ripndip?  I find that hard to believe.

mushroom slice

« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2021, 02:44:11 PM »
Bro. I bought a Dan Plunkett board just cuz he trashed the rip n dip ice sculpture. Everyone hates rip and dip. All my homies. Even my little sister that likes cats thinks the shit is garbage. Wtf you talking about? No one that skates cares about ducking rip and dip.

Monopolyman

« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2021, 03:06:55 PM »
Bro. I bought a Dan Plunkett board just cuz he trashed the rip n dip ice sculpture. Everyone hates rip and dip. All my homies. Even my little sister that likes cats thinks the shit is garbage. Wtf you talking about? No one that skates cares about ducking rip and dip.

Im not sure thats true, see plenty of their shit in the wild.  And my point extends to those outside of or just getting into skating as well.  Why should Thrasher give ripndip a platform at all?

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2021, 03:14:28 PM »

One of my homies gets their decks semi often cause they're like 10 dollars cheaper

Monopolyman

« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2021, 03:36:00 PM »
I know personally, as a skateboarder, I criticize the companies I like or that matter.
And I feel many skaters are this way. Hence Sip and Dip get very little attention good or bad.

On the contrary, I feel like ripndip is mentioned on just about every episode of the Bunt as worst brand.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2021, 05:03:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

One of my homies gets their decks semi often cause they're like 10 dollars cheaper

this ur homie?same wood right lol

nothing's been the since same

cky enthusiast

« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2021, 05:54:39 PM »
get in the pit and try and love some one

IpathCats

« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2021, 06:13:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Lol do not bring the crazies that are quiet in shoes and gear here. Lhoste is gonna school these whipper snappers.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2021, 09:17:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Lol do not bring the crazies that are quiet in shoes and gear here. Lhoste is gonna school these whipper snappers.

Lmao honestly just waiting for more

nothing's been the since same

somefucker

« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2021, 04:09:28 AM »
They're marketable and have stayed trendy, somehow also keeping their boards cheaper than most other brands. didn't like the boards I tried from them about 3-4 years ago, once you're 24 or older that cat shit stops being funny especially once you do research on the company/artist. fuck chips n dip

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2021, 07:24:18 AM »
They're marketable and have stayed trendy, somehow also keeping their boards cheaper than most other brands. didn't like the boards I tried from them about 3-4 years ago, once you're 24 or older that cat shit stops being funny especially once you do research on the company/artist. fuck chips n dip
i mean it was never funny or appealing to begin with. i feel like the people that associate rip n dip being cool are the same people that think thrasher is a clothing company

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2021, 08:05:23 AM »
Because people like Thrasher put RipDip ads and free stickers in the mag, so it must be cool. I have a feeling they probably pay more to get the publicity though.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 688
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2021, 10:35:33 AM »
fuck i think i might have bought 2 of their shirts with cats on them in 2014, didnt even know what it was i just assumed it was just some zumiez private label

Roald Dahnkle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2021, 11:04:52 AM »
Always gutted when I remember Keen are the distro for Ripndip in the UK. They need to bin it.

Monopolyman

« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2021, 03:54:20 PM »
Because people like Thrasher put RipDip ads and free stickers in the mag, so it must be cool. I have a feeling they probably pay more to get the publicity though.

This is what I’m saying, Thrasher prides itself as the bible of skating, the only remaining magazine… yet they aren’t responsible enough about who they include in their pages.  I thought they were all about schooling us on whats cool and whats not these days.  For the most part they do kill it.  Burnout likes to flip through old mags on his insta, he gonna make some snide comment in 2035 like “remember when we ran Ripndip ads lol”.  Like they didnt know they were taking money from terrible people who only associate with skating to lure nascent hypebeasts.  Way to sell out Tony

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2021, 04:12:26 PM »
fuck i think i might have bought 2 of their shirts with cats on them in 2014, didnt even know what it was i just assumed it was just some zumiez private label
had a hoodie years ago when i started sk8ing again. there was so much shit i didnt know but learned fast thankfully

Vds

• Rep: -43
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2021, 05:47:16 PM »
That's a good question

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 808
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2021, 01:14:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
had a hoodie years ago when i started sk8ing again. there was so much shit i didnt know but learned fast thankfully
Did the same got a sweatshirt and a beanie for my gf at the time, she got me a hoodie a few months later. Wasn't lurking on slap then..

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2021, 05:03:24 AM »
Expand Quote
My girlfriend's best friend is super into skateboarders and tries to act like she knows what's up with skating (even though she doesn't know shit), and she loves zumiez and ripndip - that should show you what type of demographic is purchasing this shit. I don't even bother to correct her friend because she's got her head so far up her own ass its ridiculous.

You know how wack and out of touch someone is with skateboarding when they're in a Rip N Dip tee and they tease their own best friend for wearing a Former tee telling them "that's not even cool"
*facepalm to the MAX
[close]

reminds me of my step-daughter who wears ripndip gear and thrasher t-shirts and un-ironically makes fun of me for skating at my age, when her only hobby is doing her own makeup.
Incredible to think some little girl's stepdad was slagging her off on SLAP. Great work sir. I wonder what online forums my parents complain about me on.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2021, 06:29:16 AM »
honestly i love ripndip. i wear a lot of their stuff. and thrasher shirts. my step dad always talks about how ipath and popwar are the only good skating companies. he’s really dorky

cky enthusiast

« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2021, 06:50:17 AM »
you’ll never be her cool rip and dip wearin’ dad

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2021, 11:24:49 AM »
honestly i love ripndip. i wear a lot of their stuff. and thrasher shirts. my step dad always talks about how ipath and popwar are the only good skating companies. he’s really dorky

Bro kids these days don't even know about rasa libre

Monopolyman

« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2021, 01:50:30 PM »

This is parody, correct?

Listentothis

• Rep: -24
« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2021, 05:16:16 PM »
kids that buy rip and dip are the same kids with tye dye grizzly grip and odd future socks skating loading docks.
I miss you... Comeback pile san
Slap Message Boards (Definition) - To create drama and make up stories about am/pro skateboarders.

billy_pilgrimspecker

• Rep: 4
  • "You never know who’ll get one"
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2021, 01:31:31 PM »
Thanks for this thread, all. I'm going to cover up the rip-n-shit stickers from Thrasher on my little kids' completes. I thought they were just some clothing brand for middle-school skate rats. The more I learn about Thrasher, the less I want to renew my sub...

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2023, 06:58:56 AM »
i heard at one stage supreme were legit thinking of moving from their fairfax location due to being situated right next to ripndip

they ended top doing so

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/23/style/supreme-los-angeles-sunset-boulevard.html

in the article it says "Sage Elsesser, an artist and professional skateboarder once sponsored by Supreme" is he of?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1342
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2023, 09:28:48 AM »
Expand Quote
i heard at one stage supreme were legit thinking of moving from their fairfax location due to being situated right next to ripndip
[close]

they ended top doing so

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/23/style/supreme-los-angeles-sunset-boulevard.html

in the article it says "Sage Elsesser, an artist and professional skateboarder once sponsored by Supreme" is he of?
Copy and paste to get around the NYT paywall?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.