Author Topic: Thrasher SOTY 2022  (Read 29763 times)

whagman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
Re: Thrasher SOTY 2022
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2022, 07:41:17 PM »
Expand Quote
I don't understand the Cookie hate personally, dude is so creative and his parts are always fun (this goes for the Worble team in general).

New Worble video coming soon according to their IG...so that can be another notch in his belt.
[close]

Genuine question, who tf is hating on Cookie? He seems to be universally loved from what I see.

am i hating by thinking cookie was dilo for the longest time?

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2022, 09:08:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Too bad europros get no recognition would love to see Gustav get some love
[close]

I’m the early 2000s (yea a pretty long time ago) a bunch of the flip dudes got it back to back I think and then David Gonzales. Gustav needs to WANT it.
[close]
Every big international who has won SOTY had relocated to the States. Bob, Arto, Rowley, Apples, Milton and Daveed were all living in California. I don't think they've ever given it to someone who didn't reside in the US. I think the guys with the best shots at doing that in recent years were Chima (although he's lived in the states and is stacked sponsor wise) and Tom Knox.

The list of SOTY's who won it while not living in California is probably pretty short. I believe Ishod and Grant won while living in Philly and Atlanta respectively. Tyshawn and Suciu won while living in NYC. I believe Silas won while living in SF, but could have been back in Oregon by then.
[close]

Tom Knox really has to be in the running this year. So excited for whatever footage he drops.

The thing about Tom Knox is that the shit he is skating is often so crusty that its more difficult than whatever California spots. To take him out of his element and drop him in California might undersell his unique skillset.

Exhibit A:

Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2022, 11:14:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m the early 2000s (yea a pretty long time ago) a bunch of the flip dudes got it back to back I think and then David Gonzales. Gustav needs to WANT it.
[close]
Every big international who has won SOTY had relocated to the States. Bob, Arto, Rowley, Apples, Milton and Daveed were all living in California. I don't think they've ever given it to someone who didn't reside in the US. I think the guys with the best shots at doing that in recent years were Chima (although he's lived in the states and is stacked sponsor wise) and Tom Knox.

The list of SOTY's who won it while not living in California is probably pretty short. I believe Ishod and Grant won while living in Philly and Atlanta respectively. Tyshawn and Suciu won while living in NYC. I believe Silas won while living in SF, but could have been back in Oregon by then.
[close]

Tom Knox really has to be in the running this year. So excited for whatever footage he drops.

The thing about Tom Knox is that the shit he is skating is often so crusty that its more difficult than whatever California spots. To take him out of his element and drop him in California might undersell his unique skillset.
[close]

Exhibit A:

Jesus, it looks so small on video compared to the photos. I didn't know the stuff he was skating could be that much more gnarly than I thought.

Dudes such a unique skater.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2022, 11:42:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Exhibit A:

[close]

Jesus, it looks so small on video compared to the photos. I didn't know the stuff he was skating could be that much more gnarly than I thought.

Dudes such a unique skater.

The second slide is my favourite. How the fuck did he get round the zig zag up there switch
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

santakaupas

• Rep: 3
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2022, 12:34:41 AM »
rob pace 4 sure

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2022, 04:54:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh, don't get me wrong. I want guys to stay in their scenes, and I much prefer London footage over almost anything else. I would hate to see Tom Knox or Lucas Puig move to the States because they felt it was required for career advancement, like it was for so many years in the skate industry. Not sure there is a contender this year, but I'd love to see Thrasher give it to someone who was based outside the USA. Was just pointing out that while tons of non-American's have won SOTY, that no one has really won while not living there, and until the past 10 years or so it was almost impossible to win without living in California.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2022, 11:12:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Oh, don't get me wrong. I want guys to stay in their scenes, and I much prefer London footage over almost anything else. I would hate to see Tom Knox or Lucas Puig move to the States because they felt it was required for career advancement, like it was for so many years in the skate industry. Not sure there is a contender this year, but I'd love to see Thrasher give it to someone who was based outside the USA. Was just pointing out that while tons of non-American's have won SOTY, that no one has really won while not living there, and until the past 10 years or so it was almost impossible to win without living in California.

Yeah I understood what you meant and agree. Love the effort on your post. Was just spitballing off of that.

Jebediah

• Rep: 115
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2022, 02:40:09 PM »
who care waht trasher thinks

let do our own poll slap skater of the year voted by mostly humans

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2022, 02:58:02 PM »
This is almost a productive discussion. I give it a few post till someone comes along and ruins it.  I get hype on what the folks across the pond do.  At the spots they do them. 

Slap pals SOTY should be the most recognized.

Some basic criteria. 

Can’t make over 2000$ a month.

Can’t wear skinny jeans. Or big boys either cariuma good luck. Likely west last resorts or converse. Not sure what other criteria would apply. 

8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 11
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2022, 09:42:50 AM »
Expand Quote
anyone considered Sora Shirai for the sheer amount of nbd's he's been bringing to competitions lately?

i know thats not everything needed to achieve a soty status but who else is dropping regular nbd hammers in lines and best trick sections?

if he brings out a video part for blind or whoever with them tricks on street spots.....game over.

just my opinion.

or tj rogers purely for the fact of what he's going through atm and yet is still out there killing it.
legend status! nothing but respect for you.
[close]
no

AGAIN

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 11
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't understand the Cookie hate personally, dude is so creative and his parts are always fun (this goes for the Worble team in general).

New Worble video coming soon according to their IG...so that can be another notch in his belt.
[close]

Genuine question, who tf is hating on Cookie? He seems to be universally loved from what I see.

NOt that I hate it.. but I don´t like him... IDK why

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2022, 12:26:45 PM »
still early but think Braden Hoban could easily get it if he drops a part later this year

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2022, 02:55:10 PM »
Kader probably has something coming right?

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2022, 05:44:13 PM »

It has to be T-Funk. When was the last time someone did something that caused any real anticipation to the point where people were convinced it wasn't possible? Nothing this year is going to hit as hard as his part.

tonitonne

« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2022, 05:59:02 PM »

It has to be T-Funk. When was the last time someone did something that caused any real anticipation to the point where people were convinced it wasn't possible? Nothing this year is going to hit as hard as his part.

Came here to say this after watching that as well. I already predicted it would be T funk, but now i'm certain.

fried

« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2022, 06:18:11 PM »
Tfunk should get it. That part is insane and he did an nbd at a landmark spot.

Also It would be cool to end the 3-4 parts in a year trend.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2022, 06:37:01 PM »
Louie

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2022, 07:54:22 PM »

Last time was probably Milton’s kickflip at sunset car wash

FuzzGNU

« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2022, 01:13:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Last time was probably Milton’s kickflip at sunset car wash

Before that, maybe Dane Burman's crazy 50-50?

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2022, 02:01:56 AM »
Those were definitely insane but still believable. Like “Wow, I can’t believe anyone would try kickflip into that” or “Wtf that rail is dangerous”. But T funk’s ollie at China banks had people claiming he must have ollied onto the bench and shit. Like a lot of people were so sure that he couldn’t have possibly done what he did.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2022, 02:51:27 AM »
Those were definitely insane but still believable. Like “Wow, I can’t believe anyone would try kickflip into that” or “Wtf that rail is dangerous”. But T funk’s ollie at China banks had people claiming he must have ollied onto the bench and shit. Like a lot of people were so sure that he couldn’t have possibly done what he did.

I get what you're saying, but that sort of "mythos" before the footage came out is due to the context of the rollout of the cover before the footage and the cover being such an odd photo.

Pro skaters in Philly thought that the Dane Burman rail was impossible for years and years. No one would even attempt it, let alone land it. It was Leap of Faith-esque in that regard. Its getting close to a decade now, and to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) no one else has landed anything down that since? Maybe not even attempted?

I'm not taking anything away from T Funk, I'm just saying the Burman rail is definitely in a similar vein of insanity.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2022, 04:53:27 AM »
I think the louie lopez cover is on part with the china banks trick. Also to add, T Funk probably lives in SF / got to skate that thing for a long time before he had to do it, where Louie probably only had like 1 very brief opportunity to even see the spot and then execute. I think this might be his year if his part is really good. I Also would be interested in a Slap Skater of the Year (or even just curious who performed best each season?) I am curious to know who actual skateboarders liked the best and not swayed by corporate cash

Coffee

• Rep: 40
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2022, 07:47:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wasn’t hyped on Cookie when he first started showing up in things but now he is a favorite of mine. I was going to fly down to Austin to go to the Cobra Man show/ Worble video showing with my sister but then I remembered it’s like 100 fucking degrees everyday  in Austin that time of year and said fuck that I’ll wait for it to go online.

Lessfillingtastegreat

« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2022, 07:08:24 AM »
If I were putting money on it I would say Louie.

If he has clips in the hockey vide then full part in th FA video.  Plus he’s been consistently in the mix for the last 5 years. Louie, like cookie is in “the zone”.  He’s been in it longer than anyone else. Louie of cookie. That’s it.
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

dannyprovolone

« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2022, 05:13:11 AM »
someone could def kickflip that bench backside and probably will

would like to see louie, jah, or shane O considered

FuzzGNU

« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2022, 04:04:02 PM »
someone could def kickflip that bench backside and probably will

would like to see louie, jah, or shane O considered

It would be hilarious if Nyjah did it and got zero props for it lol

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2022, 03:27:58 AM »
Victor Campillo

Euros rise up

Quartersnacks knows

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2022, 04:05:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I get what you're saying, but that sort of "mythos" before the footage came out is due to the context of the rollout of the cover before the footage and the cover being such an odd photo.

Pro skaters in Philly thought that the Dane Burman rail was impossible for years and years. No one would even attempt it, let alone land it. It was Leap of Faith-esque in that regard. Its getting close to a decade now, and to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) no one else has landed anything down that since? Maybe not even attempted?

I'm not taking anything away from T Funk, I'm just saying the Burman rail is definitely in a similar vein of insanity.
Dane Birman is a bigtime kook weirdo, openly telling 15 year olds he wished they weren’t 15 so he cuddle them or some weirdo shit. Gotta let it be known I can’t fuck with that type of shit at all.

That aside, yeah that was absolutely fucked. I beleive that rail has been gone for a long time now, unless I’m thinking of the other one. But I’m pretty sure that they are both long gone. I remember not believing it when I heard it.

How many people besides Chris cole really skated the big rail at love back in the day? Matt reason? RIP

It would be crazy to see the shit that would have happened by now if love was still there. Damn RIP.

It’s gotta be Louie 4 SOTY tho right? That line at the Bethlehem skatepark last week was absurd. those tricks were fucked on their own let alone in a line while laughing…That was fucked. Plus he seems to be on back to back to back trips with Burnett.

They’re already filming his soty part if you ask me fellas.

Free max b
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 09:49:21 AM by Pete »
FREE MAX B

dannyprovolone

« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2022, 06:13:19 AM »
nobody from philly was gonna step to that anyway

quite a few people, mostly locals, skated the 20 rail across the street in city hall

it is next to a big hubba though. so its pretty safe and more like a ledge.

unsure of where any clips of this would be since its long ago

was so pysched when i got fs nose on the 5 stair hubba. city hall in that era was one of the best skate spots ever.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2022, 06:15:12 AM »
koston noseslid the spiral stairs

later on i saw some guy in daisy dukes get really hurt trying to copy koston