Author Topic: Remote Work  (Read 1237 times)

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Remote Work
« on: January 17, 2023, 12:53:46 AM »
Is anyone else working remotely?

Also, even though my phone retains a US IP address when outside of the US, when I tethered my computer to the phone Google Maps knew I was in Vancouver. How did it know? Would an employer know if I tethered my computer to my phone and traveled to Europe?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 807
Re: Remote Work
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 01:07:37 AM »

Also, even though my phone retains a US IP address when outside of the US, when I tethered my computer to the phone Google Maps knew I was in Vancouver. How did it know? Would an employer know if I tethered my computer to my phone and traveled to Europe?

Why would you not just use WiFi? Would your employer care? I know a few people that work remotely and live where ever they want, just some times have to be available for zoom/team meetings at the timezone of the company.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 06:56:15 AM »
Is it your personal computer? If not, some companies have software installed that keeps track of everything such as idle time, open windows etc. so I'm sure if they wanted to they could see the location of the computer. It all depends on if the company will check/ care. I doubt they'd care though as long as all your work is completed on time and that you didn't actually move to another location as there will be tax implications,

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1973
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 07:02:24 AM »
I work from home 4 outta 5 days and it has drastically improved my quality of life.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 07:08:02 AM »
i work as a coordinator in a medical supply chain and our analysts here work from home 3-4 days a week and we all fucking hate them because this place is so hands on while they spout orders and favors from home

i'm not saying i hate you but jesus christ i hate mike and greg

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 07:10:55 AM »
Im entry level IT and still looking for a remote or hybrid job because I fucking hate commuting and small talk at the office

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -429
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 08:31:50 AM »
Im entry level IT and still looking for a remote or hybrid job because I fucking hate commuting and small talk at the office
Poast certs fuckboi

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 08:36:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Poast certs fuckboi

A+, Google IT Support, Net+ in about 2 weeks, Sec+ by end of summer. Then probably AZ-104 and Red Hat Admin.

Pony_Slaystation

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 08:57:07 AM »
I get paid bi-weekly, and we get to work from home up to 2 days per pay period. To be honest, I kind of hate working from home. I’m never productive at home and I actually enjoy seeing my co workers at the office. It was nice at first during the pandemic when we were 100% remote, but after a while it became too isolating.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -429
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 09:07:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Poast certs fuckboi
[close]

A+, Google IT Support, Net+ in about 2 weeks, Sec+ by end of summer. Then probably AZ-104 and Red Hat Admin.

Ty, I’m studying for A+ now and was curious re: my chances with entry level help desk stuff. Stay focused king

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 09:14:23 AM »
I do partially work from home, and I love it. I'm working from home right now. I'm comfortable to be myself; I can't see myself ever going back.

I can understand that some people deal with a decline in productivity. I guess it comes down to personality and how important things are. I get my stuff done regardless.

One of the dumbest things I ever read on Twitter was some tweet that said working from home is "kinda gay." That level of idiocy is pitiful.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 09:19:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Poast certs fuckboi
[close]

[close]

Ty, I’m studying for A+ now and was curious re: my chances with entry level help desk stuff. Stay focused king

Depends on where you live and how much you are looking to make. I’m in Chicago and my A+/Google IT got me some attention but ultimately 1–2 years of experience was more valuable. I ended up settling for an IT Equipment position so I work with hardware, imaging, etc and dont have to interact with any people. Its technically a lower position then help desk but I make more money then most of the help desk roles I see on Indeed.

Im looking to leave now but it has been nice having a flexible job (I work 4 10’s but usually leave after 7-8 hours) and I can study at work. Plus I get to bring home decommed equipment so i’ve gotten about 10 hp elitebooks, 3 surfaces, and 3 Mac Book pros. I donate most of the elitebooks to my friend who works at a public elementary school since their tech budget got slashed.

I guess my advice is to find a job you can tolerate that gives you the time/flexibility to continue studying and stacking higher level certs and getting your 1-2 years of experience in an IT position.

I went through this non-profit to get my training and certs paid for https://perscholas.org/

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2023, 09:32:23 AM »
Been at my current job a year and a half, and I’ve only been to the office three times. Overall I love working from home. Nothing beats getting paid to do chores and cook dinner early, leaves me with more free time if I use it productively.

I do miss parts of the office though and the bonds you can make with co-workers. At my old job the majority of people were my age, which made forming connections and friendships much easier. Since being at the new spot it’s hard to say anyone I work with is a “friend” or I’m close to. Trouble is my office is two hours away. It’s in the biggest city so there’s all those perks but the physical location is so far out of the way of the places I like that it’s not much of a draw. Not to mention people infrequently go in, and even if they do people could be in meetings all day making interactions hard.

If I lived closer to work I’d definitely go in a day or two per week just for a chance in scenery.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2023, 09:59:20 AM »
100% work from home since Covid. At my old job, I went in a handful of days when we were having trouble with or were working on the VPN and I couldn't remote in. Now I work for a company in another country entirely, and the rest of the US staff is based on the east coast and I live in the west.

It's definitely the best situation work-wise that I could ever imagine. I have a home office with my guitars, my drum set, a couch for napping. My cats come and hang out with me throughout the day. I also have a "backup" setup on my back porch, with an inexpensive monitor I bought at a thrift store, and a separate keyboard, mouse, and power setup so I can work (post on Slap) from my backyard on nice days.

There are definitely times when I'm like "Damn, I am home waaayyyy too much, and I actually miss the routine of riding my bike or taking the bus into work every day, of being downtown and all that, but of course the reality is that downtown is mostly a ghost town now, like it is in so many other places. And ultimately, the benefits of working from home so vastly outweigh the downsides that it's absolutely a no-brainer (not that I even have an alternative).

As for a geolocation issue, my work literally doesn't care. One of my coworkers took his family out on a massive road trip across the east coast this summer. He bought a trailer, wired it with solar and StarLink, and drove across the country, working during the days from his camper. I actually have a camper van, but it would be a miserable place to work, so I'm actually planning on selling it this year and buying a pickup and an older truck camper, which I can outfit in a similar way. So long as you're at work when you're supposed to be, they have expressly said that they don't care.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

cky enthusiast

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2023, 10:01:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Poast certs fuckboi
[close]

[close]

what’s hot w/ this. i fuck with computers heavy and i need to not work manual labor anymore

my partner works from home they seem okay with it

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2023, 10:27:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Poast certs fuckboi
[close]

[close]

[close]

what’s hot w/ this. i fuck with computers heavy and i need to not work manual labor anymore

A+ is fairly simple and easy to get, and it can help you get a job in tech working "Help Desk", which basically means the lowest-tier, entry-level IT work. Lots of people get their start here and can move up the chain to higher skilled, better paying work. I never did Help Desk, but I went to the local community college for a "worker retraining" program where I was able to get my A+ just through the classwork. Other than memorizing bizarre and antiquated connectors, there wasn't much that I didn't know as a guy who already knew about computers.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2023, 10:43:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Poast certs fuckboi
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

A+ is fairly simple and easy to get, and it can help you get a job in tech working "Help Desk", which basically means the lowest-tier, entry-level IT work. Lots of people get their start here and can move up the chain to higher skilled, better paying work. I never did Help Desk, but I went to the local community college for a "worker retraining" program where I was able to get my A+ just through the classwork. Other than memorizing bizarre and antiquated connectors, there wasn't much that I didn't know as a guy who already knew about computers.

Nailed it. I did A+ and Google IT Support in 3 months. Just watch the messer videos, memorize their “troubleshooting methodology”, and review all the A+ questions on ExamTopics.com. If the question is cloud related theres a 90% chance the answer is “rapid elasticity”.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2023, 11:41:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Poast certs fuckboi
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nailed it. I did A+ and Google IT Support in 3 months. Just watch the messer videos, memorize their “troubleshooting methodology”, and review all the A+ questions on ExamTopics.com. If the question is cloud related theres a 90% chance the answer is “rapid elasticity”.

Do any of these jobs allow you to sit or stand whenever needed?
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2023, 11:48:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Poast certs fuckboi
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Do any of these jobs allow you to sit or stand whenever needed?

All depends on the company and what they expect. You could be working from home and just answering calls and providing tech support or you could be in an office fixing printers and setting up workstations.

Honestly if you have any interest you should probably just google “help desk” jobs or look at listings on indeed and look at the descriptions.

Jebediah

• Rep: 116
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 03:53:35 PM »
A call center job can be a good work from home option if it's suitable to your home environment. They don't have the same growth potential as IT though. All I can say is that I definitely prefer working from home, even if I could be making a little more doing something else. Hermit life at the moment.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 10:26:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Why would you not just use WiFi? Would your employer care? I know a few people that work remotely and live where ever they want, just some times have to be available for zoom/team meetings at the timezone of the company.

Just cause my manager doesn't care now, doesn't mean he won't care in a year. I'm not trying to leave breadcrumbs leading back to my location.

And, I do worry a bit about tax issues.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1500
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2023, 06:07:52 AM »
IT, working from home all the time, but am planning to work in the office once per week soon. Otherwise, I'll have no real personal connection with my coworkers. It was miserable working from home in our small rental apartment, but now that I have a house, it's great.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2023, 09:47:36 AM »
IT, working from home all the time, but am planning to work in the office once per week soon. Otherwise, I'll have no real personal connection with my coworkers. It was miserable working from home in our small rental apartment, but now that I have a house, it's great.

Yeah, that's something worth adding - if I were still living in a tiny little apartment, I would have probably lost my mind. The fact that I have a house with enough room for me to have a home office makes all the difference.

mindfuzz

• Rep: 36
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2023, 07:10:50 AM »
Was full time in office until covid, that job kept trying to get us back into the office full time in 2021 so I found a full remote job and bailed. Best decision I ever made. So many people complain about being unproductive when they work from home but I'm way more productive without my boss hovering and all the idle chit chat bs. It is much harder to connect with coworkers but I'd take that drawback when I don't have to commute. That always put me in such a sour mood in the mornings and nights, especially during the winter where it'd be dark when I left my house and dark when I left work.

Plus now I can take skate/bike/dog walk breaks in the middle of the day.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 807
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2023, 07:15:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Just cause my manager doesn't care now, doesn't mean he won't care in a year. I'm not trying to leave breadcrumbs leading back to my location.

Yeah you got to be careful about tax's if you live X amount of days in certain country's you have to pay tax there, I know a few Americans here in France that have to pay income tax in the states and here in France..do you have a second passport or anything? As there also is the Visa issues..

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 900
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2023, 07:45:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah you got to be careful about tax's if you live X amount of days in certain country's you have to pay tax there, I know a few Americans here in France that have to pay income tax in the states and here in France..do you have a second passport or anything? As there also is the Visa issues..

The same is true within the US if you work for Certain amount of days in a state, which can be a headache for your employer too since they’ll have to file for state agencies in order to pay the state taxes.

But ya, working remote is great. I just started a new fully remote job in December, they have an office in Brooklyn, SF and a few international but I’m in Colorado so I will pretty much never need to commute. I’m also way more productive and have more time in the day without having to get ready, drive, put on pants, etc. As others have said it’s important to make time to get out of your apartment/house so you don’t become a hermit.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2023, 09:18:51 AM »
work at a digital marketing agency (7 years). was only 6 or 7 people when i started but now up to around 15. some of the younger employees were pushing for the ability to work remote occasionally prior to covid, so we were lucky to have processes/guidelines in place to be remote if necessary. back then you could do it "as needed" but it was still a weird thing.

then covid happened. full time remote for a big part of 2020/2021. a couple people even moved across the country.

now, we're doing a tues/thurs in office hybrid model. i personally make any excuse i can to avoid being there 8 times a month, probably more like 5. cough, cough - might be sick guys, ill be working from home just in case.

pros:
- i hate the 30-60 minute commute depending on traffic, so working from home is great for that. i wake up around the same time and do a similar routine, but im not stressing in the car before and especially after work.
- im way more productive even if im dicking around some of the time.
- i have some anxiety that is specifically triggered by social shit. covid got rid of it. going into the office on a weird day or knowing we're all taking a staff lunch together brings that right back.
- all of the above just makes me feel so much more happy and in control of my life. and my work has not been negatively impacted
- i dont have to listen to other people talk and/or walk into my office and ask me questions when im locked into doing something. i struggle to keep a kind face when interrupted after the 4th time during the day.
- not supposed to say it but i can be hungover or even drink a couple beers if i want to during the day (i know, i know)

cons:
- personally, none.
- i have noticed that the employees that are 100% remote are starting to be a little bit disconnected. specifically one of the guys that reports to me. this leads to some weird tension between him and the other teams. the consensus between myself and other managers is that there needs to be some effort made to keep the connections with other employees. we're tasking a few of these people with setting up a weekly touch base. 30 minutes. talk about work or talk about life. without it, for him, hes just taking orders and completing tasks and the only real communication is when he makes a mistake. that is not going well, per the above. its creating friction because any time he truly communicates with coworkers is negative. im hopeful that getting in the habit of hopping on a zoom meeting weekly with everyone can get things back to normal - because we all truly like each other.
- i think in a hybrid model, the remote people are generally getting a little less grace from coworkers. from my point above, i think this just comes down to the lack of interaction.

if i ever leave this company, my goal would be to find a company that is 100% remote or at least my position.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2023, 09:26:13 AM »
Been working from home since the pandemic. It’s cool…I skate more, I play videogames during boring meetings, I don’t have to be strategic on when/where I take shits anymore. The only real negative is I am social and I do miss water cooler shit talking.

caked

• Rep: -18
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2023, 10:15:55 AM »
Last day I ever worked in an office was March 16, 2020. That was two jobs ago.

It's great. I love the freedom. I don't have to shower before work or waste precious time on a commute. In my work, I rarely work more than 37-38 hours a week. I get to skate and walk on lunches or really whenever I want. I have more time with my partner, I can cook and clean, I can play video games and surf slap if I want.

I don't want relationships with coworkers and never have, mostly because they are never my age and never into the same things I am. I'm nice and courteous to everyone but I don't care about small talk.

Having the comfort of my own bathroom is sweeeet. Good coffee and snacks too haha!

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2023, 11:18:09 AM »
I'm currently in a hybrid setup. I'm a Sys Admin for a water district so there are times that I'm physically needed at the office. Especially if hardware related fixes are needed or if we have a project we are working on. It's only 10 miles from my house so I don't mind the drive. I actually enjoy going into the office. Coworkers are very chill and respectful. Definitely the best workplace culture that I have ever experienced thus far. I'm on a 9/80 schedule so on weeks that I have Friday off, I'll work 2 days at the office and 2 days from home. I've never worked fully remote so it's hard to say if I'd enjoy it more than a hybrid setup.