Author Topic: They destroyed one of the best brands to make that corny shit: FA  (Read 18235 times)

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
Re: They destroyed one of the best brands to make that corny shit: FA
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 07:39:16 PM »
i think in a few years mind field era workshop is going to be remembered very fondly. that video kicked off so much shit directly and indirectly.

frontsideoverkrook

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Bring back the coolest company ever

[close]

We want Meaty Pro model reissue!!

is meaty still alive? asking for a friend

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2017, 08:12:22 PM »
Expand Quote
i felt that Quasi was more so a continuation of Alien Workshop than FA.
[close]
Totally. And they at least had the tact to wait until Alien was officially (albeit temporarily) done.

And what's this bullshit pretending Alien wasn't rad end to end in its first incarnation? Y'all gonna deny the greatness of Mindfield, Photosynthesis, Time code, and Memory Screen? Get the fuck outta here

And yeah, FA is the epitome of annoying NYC hipsterdom. Good skaters, annoying company

All of this. Perfectly said. Quasi (IMO, anyway) feels like the closest connection to the 'old' Alien while still being totally original and uniquely their own thing. Amazing aesthetic and amazing team. Their graphics have actually continued to get better and better, and they've all been good since the first. Regarding the rebirth of Alien, still a lot of polarizing opinion but the young guys they have skating for them are all pretty good. Joey Guevara and Max Garson are total rippers.

And whether people like FA or not, I don't think those dudes really care. They are what's happening and all credit to Dill and AVE for taking that chance. More Terp footage plz.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2017, 09:01:28 PM »
oh, i forgot alien workshop still exists. i like brandon nguyen and uhh joey guevara but not well enough because i had to look up joey's name. its not something i pay attention to.

the videos are ok to me but now that i see the site, it feels worse than i thought. the decks are uninspired except for the pro models. i can see it, but i hope it doesnt turn into darkstar with those price point boards. a walmart board with a spooky mascot. hmm fuck.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2017, 09:05:19 PM »
fa is not aws, and i think that was the point

quasi hasnt proved shit, zero output, lame clothes, questionable graphics
hopefully that video comes

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -486
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bring back the coolest company ever

[close]

We want Meaty Pro model reissue!!
[close]

is meaty still alive? asking for a friend

I asked Dyrdeks assistant when I met him at a bar and he said he only has the second one now. I’ll double check next time I see him if it makes you feel better though.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 890
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2017, 09:24:03 PM »
fa is not aws, and i think that was the point

quasi hasnt proved shit, zero output, lame clothes, questionable graphics
hopefully that video comes

These are dope AF

ImportantGuy

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2017, 09:39:02 PM »
If a company is ''destroyed'' by two riders leaving it kinda says something about the state of the company itself. I personally have no problem with FA. I think Alien is ready to settle into its mall phase.

I had forgotten those quasi parts ^ both super good.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2226
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:35 PM »
Protip- Chili is free with purchase at 711. I used to go all the time, pick up a Meaty board and load that fucker up with as much chili as it could carry
Chili grip is the shit,actual magic unlike that fake Pair-a-dicks bullshit.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2017, 10:02:26 PM »
I don't know if Ave and Dill leaving was more a sign that Workshop as we knew it was dead or that it caused it. It seems since Burton they had trouble continually meeting pay-roll, maybe guys stick it out a bit longer if Dill and Ave are there, but in the end they'll leave. Guys like Dylan, Grant, Jake Johnson, and Crockett were always going to be in demand, same with Bledsoe to a lesser degree due to the knee injuries. If Aliens checks aren't clearing, you gotta think someone is going to offer them a consistent one at a legit company.

It sucks Alien fell apart. That Mindfield squad was heavy with the right mix of legends (Heath, Arto, Ave, Kalis, and Dill), established pros (Omar, Mikey Taylor, and Dylan) plus ridiculous Ams (Bledsoe, Jake and Grant). They were on the right track cutting some of the veteran kooky weight (Berra, and to a lesser extent Mikey and Rob), and brought in sick Ams in Crockett, Terp, and Piscopo.

While I think aspects of FA are kooky, and I think while having great skaters (Tyshawn and KB), they have other guys who are either overhyped (Na-Kel) or shouldn't be pro (Sean Pablo and Sage), I'm not going to say they killed Alien. I mean, before Alien imploded the only guy they poached was Terpening and a couple flow riders.

Alien had a great run, but over its last 10 years, they did do things that didn't jive with the aesthetic of the brand and it hurt them. Being bought by Burton, and the promotion of someone of Dyrdek's Beefy boards and stuff just didn't work. They also lost Pendelton around them, which was a blow to them in regards to graphics.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 988
  • the moon rules
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2017, 12:35:30 AM »
It can't be understated how much Jake Burton fucked over Workshop. Burtons terrible sales from a few bad led to them selling off Workshop and Habitat, and killing Gravis and four other brands. Dyrdek buying it and selling to an investment company pretty much hammered the last nail into that coffin
fuck you bama

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2017, 03:06:34 AM »
AWS is the only brand I skated religiously for 20 years straight.
I still buy an AWS deck every now and then, but these days it's mostly to collect them.

I loved AWS to death. But they just killed themselves to be honest.
Unfortunately they kooked it pretty bad with Dyrdek and his questionable tv graphics. If you come from graphics that were literally vector 'art pieces', and you go to decks with a picture of a dog on it?

Well that's just asking for trouble...

People just seem to forget how important aesthetics are to a skateboard company. The product that's being sold is basically the same for the whole industry (a piece of wood). Some seperate companies even use the same wood. But it all comes down to how it's all presented (and the shapes and quality of course...). Together with 'old' chocolate, Alien workshop (Pendleton era) just had one of the best graphic departments ever. The graphics, the ads, the editing of the videos was all lightyears ahead of other companies. Hands down. And don't forget that at one point they had one of the heaviest teams ever: Heath, AVE, Kalis, Arto, Dylan and Grant on one team? Game over.

As much as I hated AVE and DILL leaving, I could understand it. I loved the AWS graphics but they were losing it and I tried supporting them through their endeavors but it just wasn't the same. I, a regular skater/customer that never had much talent to begin with, could feel it wasn't the same anymore. How must t have been for 'cool guys' like DILL?

I understand they left...

Recently AWS started again. I was happy at first but have been nothing but disappointed with their reincarnation. I love that they turned Joey en Yaje pro, but graphicwise they're not the same anymore...

I like these though, but most stuff is pretty lame:

BUT... they also make this thrash:

I made these, even showed them to Don Pendleton (just because he is one of my favorite illustrators and have too much respect for him. I didn't want him to think I 'ripped' him. But he liked them a lot). Sent them to workshop two times ages ago... but they stopped replying one of a sudden (they could have the designs for free by the way)

I made the Max Garson deck for fun, I don't think he's turning pro anytime soon.

As far as FA goes, I love AVE and DILL. they're both great skaters and DILL certainly has an eye for 'what's cool'. But as a 35-year old graphic designer I can't wear/skate stuff that has excessive swearing on it and support 'the craft of desiging' that is just literally 'cut and paste' artwork...

I was skating and FA board and a friend of mine came up and asked what board I was skating and I felt embarrassed saying it was a 'fucking awesome' board...

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:43:03 AM by DISTANT RUMOURS »

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2017, 06:03:18 AM »
... shouldn't be pro (Sage),...

how could you say that
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2017, 07:29:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

how could you say that
Because I haven't seen one full part of his where I'm like damn, this guy should be pro. His footage is good, but not standoutish in an era where guys like Jack Olsen or Will Marshall are still am or flow.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2017, 07:33:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

how could you say that
[close]
Because I haven't seen one full part of his where I'm like damn, this guy should be pro. His footage is good, but not standoutish in an era where guys like Jack Olsen or Will Marshall are still am or flow.
If you're watching a Sage Elsesser part and expecting Jack Olson tricks, that's your problem. I think he's one of the better dudes out of that crew.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

fangen

• Rep: -24
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2017, 07:58:26 AM »
Even at it's ~worst~ Alien Workshop was killer!

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2017, 08:03:33 AM »
Just buy a Quasi deck or something and get over it. The past is the past and nothing stays the same forever, things would have changed into something you didn't like over @ aws regardless of FA becoming a board company.

Remember that Girl became "lame" as you mentioned, and that was before all of their staple riders jumped ship. The same would have happened in this case, and I think deep down you already know that.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2017, 08:10:45 AM »
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

7 year old

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2017, 08:16:26 AM »
It can't be understated how much Jake Burton fucked over Workshop. Burtons terrible sales from a few bad led to them selling off Workshop and Habitat, and killing Gravis and four other brands. Dyrdek buying it and selling to an investment company pretty much hammered the last nail into that coffin
From Chris Carter's Chromeball interview:

Fair enough. So looking back now, was the Burton buy-out the right move? Would you do it again?

Yes, I would totally do that over again. It wasn’t a mistake at all. I don’t think people ever really knew enough about Burton to have a fair opinion.
Our buy-out deal was done in 2008. If you look at the next 5 years economically, there was a gnarly global recession that hit. The buy-out probably saved us. We weren’t going to grow organically anymore. We were just going to keep on doing the same hardgoods business with our limited customer base. Burton created and executed great plans for our brands and taught me personally so much about business. It was a great learning experience. 
The only negative thing about the buy-out was that they needed to divest from us 4 years later. They just had too many brands and their business was hurting. That’s why they had to pull the plug on Gravis, Analog, Special Blend and Forum. It was taking away too much focus from the Burton brand. Add to that, Jake Burton was experiencing health issues. It was one thing after another.
Things were going well.  We were developing Habitat Footwear and all our companies were growing. We had a partner in Burton with global manufacturing

chromeballincident.blogspot.ca/2016/04/chrome-ball-interview-90-chris-sarge.html?m=1
If you read this thing, it becomes pretty obvious that AWS was fucked in about 5 different ways and going to implode no matter what. Blaming FA for what eventually happened is really simplistic and braindead.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

how could you say that
Agreed. I'll jump on the FFA and fuck supreme bandwagon all day, I'll even drive it, but Sage is a ripper despite his questionable sponsors
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

how could you say that
[close]
[close]
If you're watching a Sage Elsesser part and expecting Jack Olson tricks, that's your problem. I think he's one of the better dudes out of that crew.
True, to each their own. The only guys who have gone pro under the FA/Hockey umbrella whose footage I really enjoy are Tyshawn, Kevin Bradley, and Piscopo. I guess its more for his lack of a stand out part. I find almost all the FA guys get the bump way too quickly driven by Supreme creating demand, compared to guys who have to pump out an insane amount of footage like T-Funk or have a really stand outish part.

drcroc

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »
Expand Quote
wallrides, no complys and boardslides.

[close]
I think you're confusing them with Polar, Frog and 917

That dude Chris Milic Mango's clips are always pretty good

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2017, 01:49:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Never said they weren't.

Flabby cold demeanor

• Rep: -16
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2017, 03:35:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

how could you say that
[close]
Agreed. I'll jump on the FFA and fuck supreme bandwagon all day, I'll even drive it, but Sage is a ripper despite his questionable sponsors

Sage one of the best right for sure

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2545
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2017, 04:28:17 PM »
I think he's one of the better dudes out of that crew.
Agreed.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3336
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2017, 04:32:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

You say his name's Milic,
The 5 foot freak?
Let's say we get together by the end of the week.
You simply said no,
labeled me a ho.
I said, "how you figure?"
"My friends tell me so."

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2017, 04:40:36 PM »
fred gall
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »
Same shit about graphics. Primitive isnt my fav, but put out good skate edits and turned pro most of flow rippers of industry. Is FA great? Child portrait and face closes is 50% of their edits.

Also someone mentioned Tyshawn Jones, dude has worst arms in skateboard.

Have you literally never heard the name Torey Pudwill?

Il Dio sotto la pelle

• Rep: 5
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2017, 06:34:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

You say his name's Milic,
The 5 foot freak?
Let's say we get together by the end of the week.
You simply said no,
labeled me a ho.
I said, "how you figure?"
"My friends tell me so."
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2226

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house