Author Topic: Quitting smoking...  (Read 6411 times)

landedprimo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
Re: Quitting smoking...
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2019, 03:16:34 PM »
Whatever you do, do not use Chantix.  Some horror stories from that stuff.

That's quite a broad statement. Have you used it before? There are bad things about it, but it works, so there are also good things about it. Not everyone will have the same reaction, so completely dismissing it's use is not the right thing to do. I'm interested in hearing where you are getting your info and what you have heard and seen firsthand.

I had to quit smoking so my back surgeon would work on me. Chantix helped. The first couple days the sickness in my stomach sucked! But following the directive of "Take with food" helped big time.

I had vivid, lucid dreams. Nightmares seemed real, but I didn't mind them.

All in all, I didn't want cigarettes anymore. Because smoking did nothing for me anymore and became disgusting.

Unfortunately, I didn't change my thought process, stopped the meds, and went back to smoking after my surgery. Real dumb on my part.

Just as a note, if you're taking any sort of antidepressants, you can't take it.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

AllShitty

• Rep: 0
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2019, 04:11:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's quite a broad statement. Have you used it before? There are bad things about it, but it works, so there are also good things about it. Not everyone will have the same reaction, so completely dismissing it's use is not the right thing to do. I'm interested in hearing where you are getting your info and what you have heard and seen firsthand.

I had to quit smoking so my back surgeon would work on me. Chantix helped. The first couple days the sickness in my stomach sucked! But following the directive of "Take with food" helped big time.

All in all, I didn't want cigarettes anymore. Because smoking did nothing for me anymore and became disgusting.

Unfortunately, I didn't change my thought process, stopped the meds, and went back to smoking after my surgery. Real dumb on my part.

Just as a note, if you're taking any sort of antidepressants, you can't take it.

You're right I shouldn't have made such a broad statement, but my room mate used it.  He held himself up in his room for 2 weeks straight at least.  He told me to steer clear when I was talking about quitting.  Suicidal thoughts was the biggest thing.  He swears he nearly killed himself during that time.  Severe depression, which probably led to those thoughts.  Nausea and dizziness and some other things he mentioned. 

Perhaps I have more willpower than others and didn't need something like that, but I just think there are other aids that are less risky but still effective.   

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »
havent since new years. the trick seems to be to abandon all your relationships. easier since im injured not sure its sustainable once i can skate again

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2019, 07:41:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You're right I shouldn't have made such a broad statement, but my room mate used it.  He held himself up in his room for 2 weeks straight at least.  He told me to steer clear when I was talking about quitting.  Suicidal thoughts was the biggest thing.  He swears he nearly killed himself during that time.  Severe depression, which probably led to those thoughts.  Nausea and dizziness and some other things he mentioned. 

Perhaps I have more willpower than others and didn't need something like that, but I just think there are other aids that are less risky but still effective.

Yeah, I've heard of those side effects as well. I had to have a consultation when I was at the pharmacy. But I was like "fuck it".

That was actually the 3rd time I quit. Before that I quit, for a year and a half, cold turkey. I did well, but the first week I had issues with sleepwalking, having a bitch fit on something that wasn't there. But after that, all was well. I guess, I'm not a good quitter. But I'm thinking about quiting again.
The streets await

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2019, 02:29:05 AM »
The best moment to quit smoking isn't New Year's but when you make the move to a new city. Tobacco addiction is linked to people, places, and everyday routines: that one friend you're always having a smoke with while shooting the shit, your kitchen that you come home to from work every day and the first thing you do is light up a cigarette as soon as that cup of coffee is ready. It's really hard to quit smoking when all of that stuff is still around.

I quit smoking a couple of years ago through what I call "the California therapy". I moved to California for 12 months a couple of years ago and planned to make another attempt - which I expected to be futile - at quitting smoking for good. I had been a smoker since I was 12, which made it about 14 years in total, and I had tried to quit a few times already. However, since all of my habits changed drastically from one day to another, quitting was rather easy this time. It also helped that, compared to Germany, smokers are nowhere to be seen in California. Smoking is banned in all bars, tobacco is expensive, and even the campus at UC Davis was smoke-free (which is unheard of in Germany: in order to get into the humanities building at my old school you'd have to pass through a cloud of smoke). When I came back to Germany, the thought of smoking felt repulsive. I've lived a smoke-free life for the past 5 years now. The last cigarette I had was in one of these shitty smoking booths at Frankfurt airport, looking out at the plane that would take me to California.

So, if you're planning to quit smoking AND planning to make a move, try to combine both. It's all about the right timing.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2019, 05:20:23 AM »
I read a research paper about smokers' risk perception a long time ago. The gist of it was that smokers tend to perceive risk much differently than the control group, so the grisly images on cigarette packs were deemed to have minimal to no effect on most smokers.

In my own experience, this was accurate. For instance, when I smoked, one of the cigarette warning photos was of a 40-something year old woman who was either dying or had just died from lung cancer. The caption explained who she was and that smoking (ostensibly) killed her. However, she had the unfortunate name "Barb Tarbox." Every other smoker I knew thought that shit was hilarious. Needless to say, it did not have the intended effect. Additionally, I think they eventually removed her surname from the warning because of how funny people found it.

Anyhoo, good luck, y'all. Quitting smoking sucks, but you can do it.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2019, 11:05:37 AM »
I read a research paper about smokers' risk perception a long time ago. The gist of it was that smokers tend to perceive risk much differently than the control group, so the grisly images on cigarette packs were deemed to have minimal to no effect on most smokers.

In my own experience, this was accurate. For instance, when I smoked, one of the cigarette warning photos was of a 40-something year old woman who was either dying or had just died from lung cancer. The caption explained who she was and that smoking (ostensibly) killed her. However, she had the unfortunate name "Barb Tarbox." Every other smoker I knew thought that shit was hilarious. Needless to say, it did not have the intended effect. Additionally, I think they eventually removed her surname from the warning because of how funny people found it.

Anyhoo, good luck, y'all. Quitting smoking sucks, but you can do it.

terrible to say, but I was one of those who found that pretty funny. Fun fact: she campaigned in school's against smoking right up till the end, but NEVER QUIT SMOKING! Always imagined kids being moved by her story, then heading outside right after and seeing her in the parking lot having a smoke right after. Terrible.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2019, 08:26:08 PM »
Don't get a script for some sketchy drugs. Just don't smoke. Deal with the headaches for a few days, know that that's how your body is reacting because you're withdrawling from a drug, and know that cravings last about five minutes. Give your co-workers, friends, and S/o's a heads up that you might be moody - no one's going to want you not to quit - and if they do, they're missing someone to stand outside the office with and make small talk over cigs with.

Trust me - it sucks, but you gotta truly want to quit. If you're over smoking nothing will stop you. If you're quitting because you think you should and it feels like a punishment... good luck to you, but it won't work. Every time I tried quitting it was hell except the last time - that's what a lot of people who quit smoking will tell ya. Have faith in yourself.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:04 AM »
How's the quitting going? I'm starting tonight.

I was doing some math and I could buy a brand new set of wheels every week, plus some grip with how much I spend on cigarettes.

I spend $160 a month on shortening my life. I was amazed that I could get a pretty decent setup for that amount. I would never spend $160 to get a new setup every month, so why cigarettes? We humans are odd.

I asked my wife what she thought about spending $160 every month on a new setup and she said "That's fucking outrageous". Point made. The bad thing is we both spend that amount separately.

Oh fuck me, I'm not going to pussy out this time.
The streets await

stokedtrout

• Rep: 4
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2019, 03:23:08 AM »
I quit cold turkey years ago and it was fucking easy because I wanted it to be. I’d convinced myself, rightfully, that cigs were foul, a waste of money and shit for my health. I knew I’d be better without them and I just stopped. Haven’t had a cig in probably 12 years. I smell much better and I don’t have to spend my winters standing outside freezing my ass off like a mutt.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2019, 07:27:28 AM »

I was doing some math and I could buy a brand new set of wheels every week, plus some grip with how much I spend on cigarettes.

I spend $160 a month on shortening my life. I was amazed that I could get a pretty decent setup for that amount. I would never spend $160 to get a new setup every month, so why cigarettes? We humans are odd.

I asked my wife what she thought about spending $160 every month on a new setup and she said "That's fucking outrageous". Point made. The bad thing is we both spend that amount separately.

i'm two weeks today! Cravings have cut in half. ive been chewing gum like a monster, but even that im starting to ween off. after the first week it got alot easier.
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2019, 11:19:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i'm two weeks today! Cravings have cut in half. ive been chewing gum like a monster, but even that im starting to ween off. after the first week it got alot easier.

Awesome to hear. I look forward to getting past my previous year and a half record. Pro tip, don't ever say "oh, just one won't hurt" it always ends badly.
The streets await

feedmeseymour

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2019, 06:48:43 AM »
Been off cigs since September, Got a vape cause sometimes I want to smoke something besides weed, and the vape says “free max” on it.

God dammit pete.