Author Topic: Evidence for God  (Read 51584 times)

Pigeon

Re: Evidence for God
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »
^
I want to believe in that more than, "God."

Dontfearthereefer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2017, 04:44:42 PM »
I smoked DMT and met God he told me his greatest creation is monster trucks

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »
Simon, all of your arguments are appeals to authority (i.e. the Bible as infallible word of God and completely logical and true), begging the question from a starting point (i.e. the Christian God is the one true god and exists and all true arguments/facts should lead to that), assuming that logic puzzles must be applicable to material reality.

Meanwhile, where is this statistically overwhelming evidence for the Christian God that you claim to have?  Because your (poor) philosophical arguments aren't enough.  And as Carl Sagan (paraphrasing Truzzi) declared "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."  And a head's up that the watchmaker analogy isn't proof.

Then once you've convinced me of the existence of the Christian God, we can start talking about if the Christian God is good or moral for any reason other than declaring himself to be so. (Spoiler: he is not.)

EDIT: Sorry if I missed this but your example of everyone having faith in their everyday lives a few pages back was laughable. Not only is faith in a deity not comparable to the "faith" of small everyday actions, those actions usually don't involve faith at all. They're scientific. For example: I assume that properly prepared food and working elevators won't kill me based on my observation that they tend not to kill other people. I then "experiment" by eating properly prepared food and riding in working elevators. Upon discovering that I am still alive, I replicate this study. And after replicating this study innumerable times, I no longer have to have faith or believe that properly prepared food or working elevators won't kill me because I have evidence that the tend not to. That is science.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:02:06 PM by oyolar »

Gorgeous

• Rep: -7
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
I am what you call a Gated Community Christian.

We worship Mary because she was a cell-splitting He/She and impregnated herself with Jesus.

She represents the trinity+1.

We also celebrate animal sacrifice unto the Lord. Although His blood was spilled and animal sacrifice is no longer needed, we practice it to symbolize our love for Him and for the He/She.

We also offer up a virgin to our deacon, Steven Dooley, a virgin who is carried on the shoulders of six sturdy kinsmen. She is then symbolically given over to Deacon Dooley during the ritual slitting of the lamb's throat, after which we break into 30 seconds of what we call the diggery du frenzied dance. The slaughtered animal is then carted out to the woods for coyotes to feed upon. 

Amen.
The flying spaghetti monster is the only true god.

You are going to hell.

I have evidence.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »
Simon, how old to you believe the Earth is?

From reading you, I know you're into apologetics, but I'm trying to figure out what flavor.

Simon Woodstock

• Rep: -35
    • Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2017, 01:33:56 PM »

From reading you, I know you're into apologetics, but I'm trying to figure out what flavor.

I am brushing up on my Physics these days and I am re-confirmed on a young universe/earth. Although, I do believe that the time continuum as we know it was not established until the third day of creation, so therefore that needs to be taken into account when studying the historical development of the cosmos.

How about you? are you into a specific branch of philosophy and/or do you have a certain influence as far as physics goes?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Before I answer, can I ask if you are Vegan, and, if so, why you are? (I am genuinely curious).
[close]
yes, because I don't think animals should be raised solely for the purpose of being intentionally killed and tortured. (your) god said, "thou shall not kill" so I'm genuinely curious as to whether you are obeying his teachings.

Thanks for sharing your views. My follow up question then would be, since you are vegan (for the reasons you stated): Are you then also pro-life and an avid defender of the life of unborn human persons?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2017, 01:43:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how about addressing the free will/predestination paradox?
[close]

I think this is an area where the Christian Worldview has a lot to offer philosophically. God is good. He created humans with a good feature; namely the free will ability to chose good over evil, etc. God is uncaused and infinite, therefore He knows all the free choices humans will make. But, he does not directly determine those choices. It all boils down to God's foreknowledge here. From human's finite perspective all events of the will are free. But, from God's perspective, they are determined, as He knows the end from the beginning. To put it philosophically, God is the first efficient cause; men are secondary causes that are still under God's providential domain.

Also, everything pans out (has panned out, is panning out, will pan out) according to His plan and purpose.

I like this verse from the Bible as far as practical application goes in that regard, even though It applies directly to followers of Christ:

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Moreover, for one to deny God, then they are the ones that have a hard time with the free will/determinism tension. An atheist has no real explanation for free will (as they typically deny the existence of immaterial souls in humans, where the will of man presides) so then they get locked in the determinism box, which leads to fatalism. i.e., what then would even be the point of anything at all if everything was just determined?

There is obviously a lot more to this discussion philosophically, but that is the gist of it. The God hypothesis rightly solves the riddle.
[close]

And god created us, right? Why would he create us knowing many of us will go to hell? What would be the purpose of that? That's pretty messed up. And that explanation about finite versus infinite perspectives is still not convincing. It shouldn't matter whose perspective a person's choices are being viewed from - there's either free will or there isn't. But if everything is already predetermined, then there is no real free will. Everything has been mapped out. God made, and continues to make, a whole lot of people destined from the day they're born to go to hell.

So, are you saying that the Christian worldview is wrong?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »
Expand Quote

Theism holds that mind is fundamental (from incorporeal mind, matter is created), but that's backwards - mind is realized in matter (brains). So, theism has it wrong. Matter is fundamental, not mind.

Again, I disagree and go with Aristotle: Humans are a soul/body unity. Matter goes with mind and vice versa (we see this evidenced regularly with psychosomatic traumas, etc.).

[close]

Psychosomatic traumas are again manifestations of mind in matter, not the other way around. Where is the empirical evidence for minds outside of matter?

Expand Quote

If God exists, then authority (Bible, conscience, church leaders), prayer/meditation, and religious intuition would be reliable means to understand the world.

The Bible commands use of reason and understanding of the natural world (along with spiritual disciplines) for understanding, so i would say you have made a mis-caricature (or have a misunderstanding) there.

[close]

I think that asserting that a person can become reasonable by being commanded to be reasonable is a mischaracterization of what it means to be reasonable. Religiosity undermines reason by it's very existence through the appeal to faith.

Expand Quote

Also, since Genesis gets the natural world wrong - earth before sun and stars, life on land (seed bearing plants?!) before life in the water, etc. - there's no reason to think it gets a spiritual or moral world right.

In 7 literal days, God could easily have created all of that in the exact sequential order that is accounted for in Genesis.

[close]

And yet there is ample physical evidence that the exact sequential order given in Genesis could not have been correct. This is where your claims that "evidence for God goes beyond any practical statistical reason to deny His existence" ring a bit hollow.

1) I would say the evidence of the coded information in DNA implies a Mind (or immaterial Coder) of that information. That would be the logical conclusion in my estimation.

2) I am not sure what you mean by this. Would you mind explaining it a bit further?

3) I am willing to address any evidences agains the chronology of Genesis that you might present.

Also, after that I would like to then ask you a basic question with regard to Kant's epistemology.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »
also I didn't watch the second video cuz the first one was really boring

The second vid is the real deal. Most people think they are good enough on their own to go to heaven. Do you think you are good enough? (Just curious)

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »
Special note: have u seen god ???

I see God everywhere evidenced by His creation.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »
"Man created god in his own image."
-Feuerbach

I would say its the other way around. God created humans in His image, with humans having similar characteristics at the finite level (e.g., existence, mind, will, etc.), all the while maintaining characteristics that are only privy to God (e.g., being uncaused, infinite, immaterial, etc.)

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »
I don't think you could make any assumptions about the morality of multiple gods who may be in conflict with each other. That video only addresses my last question and only from a monotheistic standpoint, which is exactly the hang-up I was talking about.

I don't think I have replied to this one yet. This is actually a round about case for monotheism. Any 'multiple gods' theory will always be contradictory. That is, "Who's the boss?" would always be the unanswered question with polytheism. That is why the existence of One Supreme God makes the most sense. He alone is uncaused (for to have a cause is to be less than an uncaused being). He alone is infinite, as you cannot have two uncaused infinite beings. Therefore, it is this One God's moral standards that are correct.

Also, to think in terms or Parmenadies, you could not have two God's that were exactly the same, because by default there could only then be one God; as being exactly the same would mean that they were not at all different, and thus the same God.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2017, 02:04:10 PM »
guess computers have souls and also prove the existence of god

In a sense, computers do represent a Creator/created analogy that helps support the argument for God. a) Computers do have an immaterial component (information) that needed to be programed by a programmer.

In similitude, DNA has an encrypted code that implies the existence of a coder of that information. I would say that this Coder was/is in fact, God.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »
The question of whether there is a God

A man asked Mr. K. whether there is a God. Mr. K. said: ?I advise you to consider whether, depending on the answer, your behavior would change. If it would not change, then we can drop the question. If it would change, then I can at least be of help to the extent that I can say, you have already decided: you need a God.?

Bertolt Brecht:
Stories of Mr. Keuner

Respectfully, the shortcoming here is that there is no proof that God is merely a projection of a person who hopes and desires that God exists. Rather, the evidence for God exists on its own, outside the determination of personal opinion. Although, a person must weigh the evidence and make their own choices based thereon.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »
Hey Simon, send me all your money and worship me.

Sorry, probably not today. But, I will send you some stickers in the mail if you like. (Just DM me your address)

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2017, 02:11:02 PM »
If you believe in god, you believe in satan. 

I don't believe in satan.

In some respects, this is not a bad line of argument. If satan does not exist, then the biblical account of Christianity would be false. Although, I do, in fact, believe satan exists.

Nevertheless, on what grounds would you say that satan does not exist?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2017, 02:13:44 PM »
...I'm also really curious about your definition of consciousness. Self awareness? Situational awareness?

I mean, even the simplest photoreceptive cells are aware of light sources, and there are plenty of critters that have demonstrated self awareness. What are you referring to when you use the word?

If I recall, I meant self consciousness in the sense that it would pertain to human children.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2017, 02:20:17 PM »
flat earth, what else ?

Christian physicists have believed in a spherical earth for quite sometime. Ancient mariners and physicists figured that out long ago. The Bible was privy to this information even in old testament times

Isaiah 40:22 It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in.

Here is a brief commentary on similar biblical references to a spherical earth http://www.icr.org/article/circle-earth/

Note: The Bible does, at times, use figurative language (i.e., 'the four corners of the earth') but people use that kind of language all the time 'the sun set' at 7:47 PM last night, etc. So it need not/ought not to be interpreted as a flat earth.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:27:03 PM by Simon Woodstock »

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2017, 02:24:53 PM »
please answer my heaven questions.

I am up for it, but can you rephrase them?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2017, 02:26:20 PM »
So which god would win at street league?
Would the father, son an holy ghost get a run each?
I think Allah would do well but they couldn't show his image on the big score board.
Shiva would destroy the course.
Buddha would be OK if it was transition heavy.
Osiris would kill it despite not having a cool sponsor.
Thor is always throwing hammers.

ha!

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1222
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
If God is real than why am I a tiny dicked virgin? Answer me that, Simon.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »
God created you in his own exact image

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I am brushing up on my Physics these days and I am re-confirmed on a young universe/earth. Although, I do believe that the time continuum as we know it was not established until the third day of creation, so therefore that needs to be taken into account when studying the historical development of the cosmos.

How about you? are you into a specific branch of philosophy and/or do you have a certain influence as far as physics goes?

I don't subscribe to any particular philosophy outside of humanism, but even then I'm not academic about it. As for physics, too many names to list.

Having said, my question was "how old do you believe the Earth is?"
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:01:35 PM by grimcity »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2017, 07:25:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing your views. My follow up question then would be, since you are vegan (for the reasons you stated): Are you then also pro-life and an avid defender of the life of unborn human persons?
kind of a loaded question and I know you're going to go down the whole "well how can you be against one form of killing but not another?" but I'll bite...
Before I do though, I'd like to go back to the dictionary definition of the term just so that we're clear on where I'm coming from:
Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose

in short, it seeks to reduce unnecessary harm and suffering but is not able to eliminate harm and suffering altogether
(as that is pretty much impossible to do while we all still exist here on earth)

Now, am I against abortion? At a base level I think I probably am and I do think it's pretty irresponsible to use as it as say, a method of birth control (so why not just encourage actual birth control then?). Having said that, I also think it is fine in certain instances (rape, incest etc.). Guess what though, I can also justify the killing of animals in some instances too (like if I was camping and a bear attacked me and my family) so I don't think I'm being overly hypocritical here; me killing the bear would cause less suffering than all 3 of us dying.
Where we start to get into grey areas though is a) telling women what they can/ can't do with their bodies and b) the idea of sentience and when it actually comes into play.

In the case of a) I will defend a woman's right to do whatever the fuck she wants to do with her body end of story! If you are against this concept then you truly are living in the dark ages and I honestly don't think you are ready to deal with the current state of our world in 2017, nor will you be able to convince any members of the opposite sex that christianity is a religion that loves, worships and respects women.
Forcing a woman to have an unwanted child is equally as evil in my mind as impregnating a female calf (against her will), stealing her baby and then strapping her to machine while pumping her with hormones just so you can profit from her secretions. Thus you can see that my stance in animal rights also ties in with feminism in this respect. If you are in the whole telling-women-what-they-can/can't-do-with-their-bodies-because-"religion" camp, do you also support concepts such as female circumcision? I'm guessing no...

As for b), the main reason why vegans don't defend the rights of plants, rocks or any other objects basically comes down to the question of sentience and whether or not animals are able to experience emotions, suffering and pain similar to that of humans. Intelligence vs. sentience, as you should be well aware, are two different concepts so please don't even try to bring plants and/ or insects into this argument to try and "disprove" veganism here.
Now the jury is pretty much out when it comes to animals in regard to their sentience and this is why I choose not to cause unnecessary harm to them when I don't need to (i.e. I can survive and be healthy as a human without having to ingest them/ wear their hides as clothing). In the case of fetuses, science has also concluded that they are unable to feel pain until around the third trimester (27 - 28 weeks) and the majority of abortions are conducted well before that time (91% occur at around week 13 or less) so this is consistent with the rock/ plant/ insect argument(s) on my side.
Well now you're going to ask "well what about abortions after 27 weeks, surely you are violently opposed to them no?" and the simple answer is... there is no simple answer. Sure I don't think you should just be aborting fetuses willy-nilly but there also about a million other factors that come into play (health of the mother, rape/ incest that I mentioned about, whether or not the child will be severely disabled, quality of life for said child etc. etc.) before making that decision. What I can say though is making abortion more accessible and/ or cheaper can, and will, help avoid abortions later in the game as women often cite that they waited longer simply because they didn't have the money and/ or access to such services.
Again, I'm seeking to reduce suffering as much as possible, if having a unwanted child would cause suffering to the mother and and give the child a poor quality of life (i.e. more suffering) due to poverty or whatever then I feel that terminating said fetus would reduce the amount of suffering in the world. This is consistent with my beliefs in the same way I would also be pro-aborting a cow's fetus if I knew it was just going to be sold to the veal industry anyway.  

Now I know you intentionally set out to "prove" that I'm hypocritical with my ideals, but I actually believe that the burden of hypocrisy needs to put be on the pro-lifers - how can you care so much about an unborn fetus with a barely developed CNS and yet be fine with the death of 60 billion sentient being annually? Cows and pigs have the same mental capacity as 2 -3 year old children, are you saying you're pro-infanticide? I honestly doubt that...

Simon, as a skater you were someone who was able to think outside the box and this is why I think you were so respected, I know that is why I liked you so much in those old 411s/ sonic/ big brother vids.
If you are really down to debate on here then I think you can still do as a christian BUT you also need to know how to think outside of your religious box because there are aspects of your religion that are outdated and need to be changed/ revised in 2017 (see those comments you made towards user: GAY). Vegan christians do exist and they are probably the only group of christians that I have any respect for as they can see that causing the unnecessary pain and suffering to billions upon billions of god's creatures is in no way consistent with the teachings of Christ, nor is it a path towards any sort of peace in the world.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:38:26 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2017, 08:08:46 AM »
God created you in his own exact image

Well, there is not a direct 'one-to-one' correspondence of image representation when it comes to how humans bear the image of God. There are some characteristics of God that are present in humans, such as having existence, having mind, emotion, will, etc.

But, there are many characteristics that only God can have that humans cannot have, such as being uncaused, infinite, immaterial, eternal, all knowing, all powerful, and the like.

Therefore, humans can die, but God cannot. Humans can know some things, while God knows all things. Humans have some power, but God has all power and control.

An easy way to understand it is that humans represent the image of God in a similar way that a flag represents a country. The flag represents the characteristics of the country, but the flag is not the actual country itself.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2017, 08:13:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I don't subscribe to any particular philosophy outside of humanism, but even then I'm not academic about it. As for physics, too many names to list.

Well, we have to get into the physics a bit here, as I do believe, after day 3 in the the Genesis creation account anyways, that the earth is under 100,000 years old. But, I do think that the theory of General Relativity has to be taken into consideration, especially in the first three days of the Gen. account. It is then that 'time dilation' needs to be factored in to explain certain characteristics of the cosmos.

Another question, though. As a humanist, are you also a materialist? That is, do you believe that everything that has existence in the cosmos is comprised solely of matter?

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2017, 08:48:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Well, we have to get into the physics a bit here, as I do believe, after day 3 in the the Genesis creation account anyways, that the earth is under 100,000 years old. But, I do think that the theory of General Relativity has to be taken into consideration, especially in the first three days of the Gen. account. It is then that 'time dilation' needs to be factored in to explain certain characteristics of the cosmos.

Another question, though. As a humanist, are you also a materialist? That is, do you believe that everything that has existence in the cosmos is comprised solely of matter?

1. It doesn't really take a a lot of physics to understand that if the earth were under 100,000 years old, we wouldn't be able to see objects in space that are millions(+) light years away from us. The light wouldn't have made it here yet. Hell, that's simply basic astronomy, that's not even considering other scientific disciplines like geology and archaeology, among others.

2. Humanism is a personal philosophy... as far as a being a materialist, I tend to lean towards all observable things being based on particles directly (like matter), or fields (like gravity, as the existence of gravitons {a proposed particle responsible for gravity} still has yet to graduate into a full on scientific theory). Also, if we're talking about *everything* in the cosmos, the issue of dark matter and dark energy (which really needs a new label) come into play... we can observe the effects of both. I tend to lean towards dark matter being particle based, and dark energy being similar, though the particles may not have mass, but to that, it's strictly conjecture.

I wouldn't classify my understanding as "materialist" so much as I would better identify as a naturalist.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2017, 08:51:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
kind of a loaded question and I know you're going to go down the whole "well how can you be against one form of killing but not another?" but I'll bite...
Before I do though, I'd like to go back to the dictionary definition of the term just so that we're clear on where I'm coming from:
Expand Quote
Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose
[close]

in short, it seeks to reduce unnecessary harm and suffering but is not able to eliminate harm and suffering altogether
(as that is pretty much impossible to do while we all still exist here on earth)

Now, am I against abortion? At a base level I think I probably am and I do think it's pretty irresponsible to use as it as say, a method of birth control (so why not just encourage actual birth control then?). Having said that, I also think it is fine in certain instances (rape, incest etc.). Guess what though, I can also justify the killing of animals in some instances too (like if I was camping and a bear attacked me and my family) so I don't think I'm being overly hypocritical here; me killing the bear would cause less suffering than all 3 of us dying.
Where we start to get into grey areas though is a) telling women what they can/ can't do with their bodies and b) the idea of sentience and when it actually comes into play.

In the case of a) I will defend a woman's right to do whatever the fuck she wants to do with her body end of story! If you are against this concept then you truly are living in the dark ages and I honestly don't think you are ready to deal with the current state of our world in 2017, nor will you be able to convince any members of the opposite sex that christianity is a religion that loves, worships and respects women.
Forcing a woman to have an unwanted child is equally as evil in my mind as impregnating a female calf (against her will), stealing her baby and then strapping her to machine while pumping her with hormones just so you can profit from her secretions. Thus you can see that my stance in animal rights also ties in with feminism in this respect. If you are in the whole telling-women-what-they-can/can't-do-with-their-bodies-because-"religion" camp, do you also support concepts such as female circumcision? I'm guessing no...

As for b), the main reason why vegans don't defend the rights of plants, rocks or any other objects basically comes down to the question of sentience and whether or not animals are able to experience emotions, suffering and pain similar to that of humans. Intelligence vs. sentience, as you should be well aware, are two different concepts so please don't even try to bring plants and/ or insects into this argument to try and "disprove" veganism here.
Now the jury is pretty much out when it comes to animals in regard to their sentience and this is why I choose not to cause unnecessary harm to them when I don't need to (i.e. I can survive and be healthy as a human without having to ingest them/ wear their hides as clothing). In the case of fetuses, science has also concluded that they are unable to feel pain until around the third trimester (27 - 28 weeks) and the majority of abortions are conducted well before that time (91% occur at around week 13 or less) so this is consistent with the rock/ plant/ insect argument(s) on my side.
Well now you're going to ask "well what about abortions after 27 weeks, surely you are violently opposed to them no?" and the simple answer is... there is no simple answer. Sure I don't think you should just be aborting fetuses willy-nilly but there also about a million other factors that come into play (health of the mother, rape/ incest that I mentioned about, whether or not the child will be severely disabled, quality of life for said child etc. etc.) before making that decision. What I can say though is making abortion more accessible and/ or cheaper can, and will, help avoid abortions later in the game as women often cite that they waited longer simply because they didn't have the money and/ or access to such services.
Again, I'm seeking to reduce suffering as much as possible, if having a unwanted child would cause suffering to the mother and and give the child a poor quality of life (i.e. more suffering) due to poverty or whatever then I feel that terminating said fetus would reduce the amount of suffering in the world. This is consistent with my beliefs in the same way I would also be pro-aborting a cow's fetus if I knew it was just going to be sold to the veal industry anyway. �

Now I know you intentionally set out to "prove" that I'm hypocritical with my ideals, but I actually believe that the burden of hypocrisy needs to put be on the pro-lifers - how can you care so much about an unborn fetus with a barely developed CNS and yet be fine with the death of 60 billion sentient being annually? Cows and pigs have the same mental capacity as 2 -3 year old children, are you saying you're pro-infanticide? I honestly doubt that...

Simon, as a skater you were someone who was able to think outside the box and this is why I think you were so respected, I know that is why I liked you so much in those old 411s/ sonic/ big brother vids.
If you are really down to debate on here then I think you can still do as a christian BUT you also need to know how to think outside of your religious box because there are aspects of your religion that are outdated and need to be changed/ revised in 2017 (see those comments you made towards user: GAY). Vegan christians do exist and they are probably the only group of christians that I have any respect for as they can see that causing the unnecessary pain and suffering to billions upon billions of god's creatures is in no way consistent with the teachings of Christ, nor is it a path towards any sort of peace in the world.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I simply think it is inconsistent to be vegan/vegetarian and also be pro-abortion. You have indicated that you also see the inconsistency there.

Nevertheless, the handful of arguments that you have put forth that would support abortion are, in my understanding, mostly suspect.

The 'woman's body' argument fails because from the time of conception, a fertilized ovum is its own 46 chromosomal entity, and it therefore its very own person (i.e., it is not the woman/mother, and, in about 50% of the cases its actually a male).

And, the judicial laws and rules of societal behavior in general also apply to women, so authorities and other citizens tell women (and men) what to do all the time, such as obey traffic laws, or pay your bill at a restaurant, etc. So people tell women what to do with their 'bodies' and lives every day without any controversy. The point being that it is unfounded to just pull that argument out of the hat and try to apply it to so-called abortion rights.

Even more to this point, it was a bunch of men on the supreme court that ruled in favor of abortion in the Roe v. Wade decision, thus it was men telling women that they could subject their bodies (as well as the bodies of the unborn) to abortion procedures. Where is the cry of injustice of men telling women what they can do via Roe v. Wade? There obviously isn't any cry against this. Which is just another example of the inconsistency of the line of argument you are referencing.

Another thing, to attempt to dismiss (although I do realize and appreciate that you are being respectful in this dialogue) my arguments as being outdated because they are Christian (and thus have a tether to ancient times) is actually a logical fallacy. It is called a 'chronological fallacy' and presumes that old truth claims cannot be true because they are old. And, it presumes that all new (or newer) truth claims are by default true (or truer) than the old. This is simply not the cause, a statement can be old or new and be either true or false, based on whether or not the claim accurately expresses the facts of the world.

What is more, to claim that I am not an 'out of the box thinker' is aimed more at me than my arguments, and doesn't really directly address the logic (or purported ill-logic) of what I am saying.

Notwithstanding, I personally think you are in a decent spot as far as the consistency of your views on diet/abortion go. But, I would say that it would be good to consider the pro-life argument further.

Just about every argument in favor of abortion can be refuted by the means of establishing the human personhood of the unborn from the time of conception. I could type these basic arguments out, but Greg Koukl does a great job of defending the premise that it is never justifiable to take the life or an innocent human being here:

The arguments against the human personhood of the unborn are also pretty simple to refute, so I am prepared to go further down that road.

If you are interested, you can run down the SLED test to see where they all fail:
http://www.epm.org/blog/2016/May/23/sled-personhood-unborn

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2017, 09:01:08 AM »
Woodstock, what do you have to say about the discipline of paleoanthropology which deals with archaic human fossils from neanderthals, denisovans, erectus, sediba, australopithecus, ardipithecus and others? According to scientists in that field, our species has been around at least 250,000 years. Anyone who studies evolution would say the earth has been supporting life for far longer than creationists believe.