Poll

If airwalk made decent shoes again, or at least retroed their back catalogue, would you buy them?

affirmative
14 (28%)
negative
22 (44%)
meh
14 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Airwalk making a comeback?  (Read 5349 times)

JBee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Airwalk making a comeback?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 08:16:15 PM »
given the current hi-hop trend, i bet they would sell boatloads of these if they re-issued them

I actually had a pair of these. They were all black though, and we didn't call it a "colorway" back then.

Funny how this airwalk thread as a million pics of nikes......

fuckstick

• Rep: -14
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 08:28:11 PM »
someday you will learn that nike designers just copys colors from animals and tv characters because they have no talent

marge simpson

quagmire

Marge is on top of Quagmire?  aww right          giggity giggity

barkeep11

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -135
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »
All I can remember about Airwalk is that an outlet place nearby sold these ones in a million different colours:

and at 13 they were the most awesome things I'd ever seen.

Yep!  *warm nostalgic moment* :'(

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »
Expand Quote
All I can remember about Airwalk is that an outlet place nearby sold these ones in a million different colours:

and at 13 they were the most awesome things I'd ever seen.
[close]

Yep!  *warm nostalgic moment* :'(

fuck yes, I had that exact colorway. from grades 1-5 all I rocked were Chuck Taylor Highs and Airwalks.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 09:00:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Not saying these guys don't know how to make shoes, but seriously, why did so many people want that shoe? It doesn't seem like anything special at all.
[close]

there were only 150 pairs made. the colorway is actually pretty nice.

Oh my god, I knew a guy who was a huge sneakerhead and had a pair of those. He was showing me some of his collection (about ten pairs out of what I assume is 200) and brought those out. He said a friend gave them to him because they were too ugly and he was thinking about selling them for twenty bucks to "some homegirl of his." I had no idea they were so popular and I don't think he did either. Are those things still valuable today?

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 09:05:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not saying these guys don't know how to make shoes, but seriously, why did so many people want that shoe? It doesn't seem like anything special at all.
[close]

there were only 150 pairs made. the colorway is actually pretty nice.

[close]

Oh my god, I knew a guy who was a huge sneakerhead and had a pair of those. He was showing me some of his collection (about ten pairs out of what I assume is 200) and brought those out. He said a friend gave them to him because they were too ugly and he was thinking about selling them for twenty bucks to "some homegirl of his." I had no idea they were so popular and I don't think he did either. Are those things still valuable today?

hell fucking yeah they are. Even if they're worn, they'll probably fetch 2 grand.

Edward Sebastian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • This is what we live for.
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 09:11:07 PM »

there's a pair of 6's going for $2000 at flight club. if you had a pair of a size someone could actually wear (9 through 11) you could add up to $1000 to that
"RIP to myself one day" - JR Blastoff

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 09:47:07 PM »
Jesus tap dancing Christ, had I known I would have offered him those twenty dollars and said something like, "Meh... I mean they're so ugly that you're probably not going to get anything more. I'll take them off your hands."

hate on you

• Rep: -15
  • freak
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 10:07:02 PM »
i saw an eleven year old boardslide a knobbed 12 rail in airwalks. i can see the comeback starting

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 12:03:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
where do you get the impression they're trying to make shoes that don't suck?
[close]

well, they hired staple design for a start. for those that don't know, staple designed the pigeon dunk, probably the most popular and sort after dunk ever made:

[close]

he designed the colorway, not the shoe.

50000000 hypebeasts' opinions don't mean shit when it comes to actual skate shoes.

Mevs

• Rep: 29
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 12:12:02 AM »
Airwalk reissued the Prototype about a year ago with a couple of new colourways, from what I understand they're under new management that understand what a big deal they used to be and wanted to see what the damnd was like. Limiting them to 144 pairs each seems like a dumb move though...if they decide to rerelease Enigmas in some tasty new colours then I'll be all over them!

mhe-likes.tumblr.com
Instagram: @Mevs82

FACE!

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 12:20:57 AM »
if they changed there name and logo and didnt tell anybody it used to be airwalk, it would have a chance

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 06:36:42 AM »
Airwalk One's were the Adio Kenny Anderson's of the early 90's.  So many kooks wore those shoes

The Jason Lee's and the Solo 2's were the best Airwalk shoes made.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 07:00:05 AM »
Dunk collecting is for retards, but those Donatello's are pretty sick.

And if Airwalk wants to be taken seriously, they'd better scoop up a skate legend like Lutzka or Shecks right away.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

Vibetekk

• Rep: 10
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 07:06:35 AM »
http://www.collectiveintl.com/

Looks like someone is buying up some old skate brands.
"They only live to get radical."

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 07:18:18 AM »
i'm backing this.  i hope they bring them back.  i can't wait til they come out with this design so i dont even need a skateboard anymore because the wheels are built right in

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2009, 08:49:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
lol when i watched the video it said shots were fired at the beginning and i thought people were shooting each other for an ugly nike shoe.
[close]

why is it "ugly"? i'm not trying to be all defensive because i'm not actually a shoe collector or anything, but from a design standpoint the color palette, the pigeon design, the concept (grey body, orange feet) is actually one of the better ones nike has come up with
[close]
I know you aren't trying to get in a fight over this, and I'm not trying to come at you personally, but really? That's the deal? grey body and orange feet? That's so dumb. And honestly, even if it was obvious, who the fuck wants to walk around looking like they have flying rats attached to their feet? What about a cool animal? Sneaker heads are just another group of possession and fashion obsessed people that I would love to see die in a massive metalocalypse style massacre. Guarantee most of the kids who seek them don't even know why they want them.
[close]

they're not trying to make it look like you're wearing pigeons on your feet, it's just a design concept. dude, hypebeasts aside it's just a grey shoe with accents of orange. i really fail to see what's so offensive about that. i'm a design nerd, so i'm into this sort of stuff. some people might not be stoked on the little pigeon, but whatever, it's just a bird. maybe i'm biased because one of my favorite logo designs is that of the baltimore orioles:

but these, on the other hand, i can totally understand why someone would think they're regular:

1) That design is nothing special
2) There were almost riots to get them, and now people are paying thousands of dollars for a pair of gym shoes
How do you not find that disgusting? Its materialism and conformity at its lowest.  People just want that shoe because they know they are supposed to want that shoe, and are willing to pay thousands for just to fit in or look cool. Any shoe people pay thousands of dollars for should be encrusted in diamonds and gold, and come with a free blow job. These are just plain old grey shoes. And don't give me the "from a design aspect" crap either. They didn't design that shoe, they just decided to make it gray. Its absolutely fucking ridiculous. How is that hard to see? Its a reflection on a disgusting society.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2009, 08:52:02 AM »
540!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2009, 09:05:07 AM »
from an investment standpoint, ok. If you know a shoe is going to be worth thousands and is retailing for a couple hundred, that would make sense. My friend madde thousands off of beanie babies when we were in high school, but just like the beanie babies, its not the person who wants to resell it that gives it that value, its the person at the end who MUST have the pigeon dunks for their collection to be complete. The people who give it that value by craving a rare grey sneaker are fucking morons though.

Edward Sebastian

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2009, 10:26:55 AM »
2) There were almost riots to get them, and now people are paying thousands of dollars for a pair of gym shoes
How do you not find that disgusting? Its materialism and conformity at its lowest.  People just want that shoe because they know they are supposed to want that shoe, and are willing to pay thousands for just to fit in or look cool. Any shoe people pay thousands of dollars for should be encrusted in diamonds and gold, and come with a free blow job. These are just plain old grey shoes. And don't give me the "from a design aspect" crap either. They didn't design that shoe, they just decided to make it gray. Its absolutely fucking ridiculous. How is that hard to see? Its a reflection on a disgusting society.

i'm not talking about the riots, the price, or any of that shit. read my post again. i'm talking about design only. i think fighting over a pair of shoes is bitch shit

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i'm not talking about the riots, the price, or any of that shit. read my post again. i'm talking about design only. i think fighting over a pair of shoes is bitch shit
I already made it clear that there is nothing special about gray shoes with an orange sole at all. It's not like there aren't other dunks that are designed identically, but with different colors. So little went into that design.

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2009, 12:16:47 PM »
given the current hi-hop trend, i bet they would sell boatloads of these if they re-issued them

I had those in purple & cut 'em into lows. we're talking spring '92.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

starvingrobot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 25
  • Keep It +
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2009, 01:20:07 PM »
I'M STILL CURIOUS AS TO WHY GLOW-IN-THE-DARK SHOES DO NOT EXIST YET.

Edward Sebastian

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2009, 01:26:40 PM »
I'M STILL CURIOUS AS TO WHY GLOW-IN-THE-DARK SHOES DO NOT EXIST YET.

starvingrobot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 25
  • Keep It +
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2009, 01:29:08 PM »
Yeaahhh!!!