Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 43289 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #810 on: October 20, 2022, 02:43:28 AM »
Hah I never see Tony as ignoring his audience.   Crowds were over for wheeler and thsts why he got the push, but you see it the exact opposite way.   

Also anyone see that brutal Athena match on one of the darks.  Some strong style joshi shit in that one woof

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 843
« Reply #811 on: October 20, 2022, 04:00:37 AM »
Hah I never see Tony as ignoring his audience.   Crowds were over for wheeler and thsts why he got the push, but you see it the exact opposite way.   

Also anyone see that brutal Athena match on one of the darks.  Some strong style joshi shit in that one woof

No I mean more like the Owen booking and putting Jericho over Kingston with no payoff and the codyverse and all the Sammy/Tay stuff. My issue with Yuta isn't that he's not over, it's that he's nowhere near MJF's level and shouldn't be working with him. People cheered for Crash Holly and Hurricane Helms but that doesn't mean they should have been working with the Rock. Yuta is a dweeb but I'm fine with him working lower mid card AEW or upper card ROH like he had been. I'd have the same criticism if they put someone around that level who doesn't annoy me like Trent or Lee Moriarty or Dante into that situation.

Even Wardlow I'd say is too far down the card right now to be working with MJF. Max is the biggest thing in the company and arguably the hottest young talent in all of professional wrestling and they need to start treating him like it. He shouldn't be working his way up the ladder and having ultra competitive matches with the BCC young boy, he should be squashing him in minutes and embarrassing him.

My suspicion is that they just wanted to get it in before Max started this slow turn since they're buddies backstage, but that doesn't mean it's good booking and all biases aside I really do feel like it diminishes MJF rather than elevating Yuta. He's better than that, and we know it.

The Athena thing was pretty brutal. Jody was a hometown favorite and got cheered so I don't know if that pissed her off or they agreed to work snug or what but it did look like she may have gone a little too far on some of those spots. It's probably not a great look with the Hangman thing happening right after it and apparently TK "talked to them about it". If I'm being honest though I thought Athena worked way better as a heel. It's kind of the same thing as Swerve, she just looked more natural to me and her moveset transfers over very easily.

The new AwA tftt was kind of a mixed bag for me. Ken Patera still insisting he was innocent about the McDonald's thing came off a little cringey for me. The Mad Dog stories Greg Gagne told were absolute insanity. DDP didn't really contribute much and it felt like there wasn't quite as much material as the Memphis episode but that might have been down to the cast they picked. I was really glad they gave Heenan his due and properly recognized him as one of the most talented people ever in wrestling, and not just as a manager. As a wrestler he was kind of the Mr. Perfect of his day and took amazing bumps. Everyone loved working with him because he would draw so much heat with his mouth and then make you look like a million bucks in the ring. Old Heenan matches hold up extremely well, especially compared to the majority of the stuff from the 70s.

Im ordering one of those posters and a frame next payday btw.

SHAQUEEFA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
« Reply #812 on: October 20, 2022, 09:40:28 AM »
Just watched that episode of elevation.

Aside from when Athena threw her straight to the floor, it just looked like she was working a little stiff as a reaction to getting boo'd.

She did look better working heel though. Her frame is built for some strong style heel work imo.

Island Boys were comical.

That may be the hottest The Bunny has ever looked though, and I wish Butcher and the Blade were higher up on the card.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #813 on: October 20, 2022, 03:20:06 PM »
Just watched that episode of elevation.

Aside from when Athena threw her straight to the floor, it just looked like she was working a little stiff as a reaction to getting boo'd.

She did look better working heel though. Her frame is built for some strong style heel work imo.

Island Boys were comical.

That may be the hottest The Bunny has ever looked though, and I wish Butcher and the Blade were higher up on the card.

The only things that were a little off to me were the kicking out at 1 and she looked like she might have potatoed her on the ground n pound strikes, but It definitely wasn't a shoot or anything like the twitter marks are saying. Just a couple people working snug for whatever reason but still clearly cooperating, and far and away the most interested I've been in an Athena match since she was Ember Moon. Absolutely agree that she's built to work like that too... They need to have Taz teach her some suplexes and make her height a weapon like it was for him or Dean Malenko.

I'm sure they won't do it, but I really hope they seize upon this and make her a heel. She looked great being vicious and she's already dead in the water as a baby face so what do you really have to lose? If they turn Hayter (like they already should have) and make Athena a heel and put them in a hard hitting feud I guarantee it sells.

Bunny is weird... Sometimes I think she's hot as fuck and sometimes she looks like an alien. Her gimmick is the same thing... 20% of the time I'm totally into it and 80% of the time it comes off unnatural and trying way too hard for me. I do dig the Butcher (I love old school big hoss types), the blade I can take or leave but he's a very good worker..

In one of those weird little crossed wires moments I recently realized that Butcher always seemed familiar to me because he was a guest on John Goblikon's Right Now series on YouTube a few years ago.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #814 on: October 20, 2022, 04:22:45 PM »
The thing that takes the sting out the Athena match is seeing that’s she’s done the suplex to outside the ring on Liv Morgan in NXT and if you see right after Athena pins her, Jody has a big ass smile on her face before Athena helps her up and raises her hand for the crowd to cheer.   I think it might be the old wrestling adage that no one hits you harder than your friends

Rocko

• Rep: 39
« Reply #815 on: October 20, 2022, 08:05:34 PM »
Aew is back in LA January 11th y’all know I’m already thereee

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #816 on: October 20, 2022, 08:14:58 PM »
Aew is back in LA January 11th y’all know I’m already thereee

Good.   They need to focus on the other side of the Rockies for a bit

Rocko

• Rep: 39
« Reply #817 on: October 20, 2022, 09:07:09 PM »
Oh yeah they definitely ran their course through Florida/Illinois/Texas + others. Crowds were hot when they came to LA/Ontario and sold out real quick too. There’s gotta be some reason they won’t tour the west yet

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #818 on: October 21, 2022, 05:22:43 AM »
Back in the day Philly used to get GWF shows on public access. Are used to watch Harlem heat when they were known as the Ebony Experience, and guys like James Johnson when he was known as Moadib.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #819 on: October 21, 2022, 09:45:43 AM »
The thing that takes the sting out the Athena match is seeing that’s she’s done the suplex to outside the ring on Liv Morgan in NXT and if you see right after Athena pins her, Jody has a big ass smile on her face before Athena helps her up and raises her hand for the crowd to cheer.   I think it might be the old wrestling adage that no one hits you harder than your friends

That part didn't bother me because she seemed like she knew it was coming and posted up off her to make sure she cleared the ropes. As long as they're cooperating and moving through the match I usually don't read too much into working stiff. Like I said the stuff that made me kinda look twice was the quick kickouts and I thought Jody might have caught a live round in that scramble, but thats about it. Brutal match though, it reminded me of something you'd see on one of the good female indys like Eve or Shimmer.

Jealous that LA is getting another show before Pittsburgh. I know the issue is likely that they're doing construction on and around the building they run in, but I'm pretty confident they could run the hockey arena downtown if they put a good card together. They drew 7 or 8k last time (albeit with a lot of discounts and some papering) with Punk vs Dustin and that's about what the fed drew last time they were here (in the new place). Wouldn't be surprised if wwe have some kind of agreement with the building where they'd be able to veto others from running it though, I think the NWA was kind of frozen out of the old civic arena for a large part of the 80s until the Dusty vs Bubba cage match that I believe is the largest wrestling crowd anyone has drawn in Pittsburgh due to the fact they hung two new balconies with about a thousand seats after Bruno retired. So all his sellouts were like 15xxx and the NWA one was 16xxxx or something.

There's your obscure prowrestling trivia for today Atiba haha.

Back in the day Philly used to get GWF shows on public access. Are used to watch Harlem heat when they were known as the Ebony Experience, and guys like James Johnson when he was known as Moadib.

Was that the one that used to be on ESPN on the early 90s? I remember seeing Stevie Ray as a single there and he was bigger than book so when they went to WCW for years I assumed he was the star of the team haha. Amazing how your perception changes as you get older haha. I need to look that up and see if I can find a library of the tv shows.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #820 on: October 21, 2022, 10:55:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That part didn't bother me because she seemed like she knew it was coming and posted up off her to make sure she cleared the ropes. As long as they're cooperating and moving through the match I usually don't read too much into working stiff. Like I said the stuff that made me kinda look twice was the quick kickouts and I thought Jody might have caught a live round in that scramble, but thats about it. Brutal match though, it reminded me of something you'd see on one of the good female indys like Eve or Shimmer.

Jealous that LA is getting another show before Pittsburgh. I know the issue is likely that they're doing construction on and around the building they run in, but I'm pretty confident they could run the hockey arena downtown if they put a good card together. They drew 7 or 8k last time (albeit with a lot of discounts and some papering) with Punk vs Dustin and that's about what the fed drew last time they were here (in the new place). Wouldn't be surprised if wwe have some kind of agreement with the building where they'd be able to veto others from running it though, I think the NWA was kind of frozen out of the old civic arena for a large part of the 80s until the Dusty vs Bubba cage match that I believe is the largest wrestling crowd anyone has drawn in Pittsburgh due to the fact they hung two new balconies with about a thousand seats after Bruno retired. So all his sellouts were like 15xxx and the NWA one was 16xxxx or something.

There's your obscure prowrestling trivia for today Atiba haha.

Expand Quote
[close]

Was that the one that used to be on ESPN on the early 90s? I remember seeing Stevie Ray as a single there and he was bigger than book so when they went to WCW for years I assumed he was the star of the team haha. Amazing how your perception changes as you get older haha. I need to look that up and see if I can find a library of the tv shows.

Wow, autocorrect really ruined my sentences. I didn’t have ESPN at the time. This was on channel 48, public access tv. 48 would go on to show ECW in ‘96 onward.

Ahmed Johnson was really stiff as Moadib.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #821 on: October 22, 2022, 03:41:57 AM »

Wow, autocorrect really ruined my sentences. I didn’t have ESPN at the time. This was on channel 48, public access tv. 48 would go on to show ECW in ‘96 onward.

Dude I put on an episode yesterday and within 10 minutes I was hooked. I had totally forgotten this fed existed, they used to play it every afternoon on ESPN but it aired right before I got home from school so I would only get to watch it on holidays or if I stayed home sick. We were dumb kids so we always thought it was lame because it wasn't WWF, but watching it now it's awesome.  As if I needed more old wrestling to watch haha.

There's so many future WWF guys on these shows which is great, but I love coming across the obscure stuff so I was happy to see one of the regulars is Mike "Butch" Blackheart, aka the jobber that wouldn't stay down against Spivey and Sid and got the shit beat out of him for it.

I haven't come across Ahmed yet but my favorite one so far has been godfather in his Soul Taker gimmick. He was fucking huge back then. First episode I watched also had waltman as Lightning Kid and Jerry Lynn who was a heel for some reason. They also have Skandor Akbar doing straight man commentary/hosting which is super strange to see but he's very well spoken so it works.

Thank you for reminding me that this exists. My public access/antenna wrestling shows were USWA and then later ECW, but ECW was on came on at like random times between 11pm and 3am and I couldn't always stay up to watch it. When I turned 14 and started working one of the first things I bought was a better VCR and a stack of tapes so I could just tape that block every weekend and hope I caught it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #822 on: October 22, 2022, 04:53:11 AM »
Saw open twitter Bray Wyatt described as Taylor Swift for men and it all made sense

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #823 on: October 22, 2022, 06:26:14 AM »
Saw open twitter Bray Wyatt described as Taylor Swift for men and it all made sense

That.... Is actually pretty accurate. Fuck.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #824 on: October 24, 2022, 07:17:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dude I put on an episode yesterday and within 10 minutes I was hooked. I had totally forgotten this fed existed, they used to play it every afternoon on ESPN but it aired right before I got home from school so I would only get to watch it on holidays or if I stayed home sick. We were dumb kids so we always thought it was lame because it wasn't WWF, but watching it now it's awesome.  As if I needed more old wrestling to watch haha.

There's so many future WWF guys on these shows which is great, but I love coming across the obscure stuff so I was happy to see one of the regulars is Mike "Butch" Blackheart, aka the jobber that wouldn't stay down against Spivey and Sid and got the shit beat out of him for it.

I haven't come across Ahmed yet but my favorite one so far has been godfather in his Soul Taker gimmick. He was fucking huge back then. First episode I watched also had waltman as Lightning Kid and Jerry Lynn who was a heel for some reason. They also have Skandor Akbar doing straight man commentary/hosting which is super strange to see but he's very well spoken so it works.

Thank you for reminding me that this exists. My public access/antenna wrestling shows were USWA and then later ECW, but ECW was on came on at like random times between 11pm and 3am and I couldn't always stay up to watch it. When I turned 14 and started working one of the first things I bought was a better VCR and a stack of tapes so I could just tape that block every weekend and hope I caught it.

11:33 Ahmed Johnson is so green that this match will make you cringe. He almost killed that jobber too.

Skandor Akbar didn’t deserve having to make him look credible.

Gentleman Chris Adams vs JBL though.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #825 on: October 25, 2022, 12:26:58 PM »

11:33 Ahmed Johnson is so green that this match will make you cringe. He almost killed that jobber too.

Skandor Akbar didn’t deserve having to make him look credible.

Gentleman Chris Adams vs JBL though.

I actually watched this the other night haha. I don't know if that flying ballistic spear splash thinh was intentional or he just botched it and it came out looking cool but it was pretty brutal. That snake cover thingy was weirdly homoerotic too haha. I do enjoy what a time capsule these shows are, although it can be a little disconcerting to watch with modern sensibilities... Just when you think Witch Doctor Baboose is the most racist thing that's ever been aired on ESPN, a few episodes later Crybaby Buxton is on commentary and just straight up calls Moadib a spearchucker. Oof.

Chubby young Bradshaw and his fat butt is weird to watch. I honestly felt like Adams was pretty overrated and lazy by this point but that was a solid TV main event with a predictable but fun finish. The crowds add so much to these shows, if I had to pick a favorite background noise it might be "territory wrestling crowd". No smarky chants, just a chorus of drunk working class dudes losing themselves in the action and horny teenage girls shrieking anytime their favorite roidy mcmullet breathes.

Skandor Akbar is another weird one for me. He was everywhere back in the day and I always thought he was like a useless fat old manager but then he'd occasionally wrestle and come out in his gear and just be this thick, compact barrel chested dude and look like a legit threat. It's so odd watching him doing like smiling baby face commentary on some of the later episodes since he was always such a dastardly heel everywhere else.

Also all the random jobbers I've never heard of. It's great. I think 'm enjoying this fed more than anything since I watched a year of ECW shows a while back. The all American heart throb Chaz is so awful and I love him for it.

Sightunseen

• Rep: 90
« Reply #826 on: October 25, 2022, 03:52:37 PM »
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #827 on: October 26, 2022, 02:10:45 AM »
Just revisited this gem today (thanks Reddit)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ato_jdZkvG0&t=249s&pp=2AH5AZACAQ%3D%3D

This is hilarious to watch after the GWF show Patrickskateman just posted with baby fat Bradshaw. Such a strange career, you could ask 10 fans what their first thought is when you bring him up is and you might get 10 totally different answers. From his Texas roots to the overseas weirdness to his blackjack days to the brawl for all fiasco to the acolytes to APA to JBL to WWF champ to Maggle Cole and so on and so forth.

I remember back in the day people used to compare him to Windham and Dustin for obvious reasons but I don't think Bradshaw was ever as natural as those guys. He eventually learned how to have a decent match later in his career but his style never really moved beyond the Stan Hansen cosplay he started as. It was good enough to get by I suppose. As entertaining as he could be as a character, I don't ever really find myself wanting to watch a JBL match.. at least not a singles one. Some of the acolyte and APA attitude era faction warfare stuff is fun, but I was always more of a Farooq guy.

Forgot it was Tuesday so I didn't watch the new tales from the territories yet. It's CWF this week, so should be some good stories. Looks like Steve Keirn is on the panel which is someone I wouldn't expect to see but makes perfect sense. I assume they're going to talk about Hogan and the Grahams and Dusty, but I really hope they do something on Sullivan's satanic panic gimmick. Any HD footage of Nancy and Luna in the 80s would be a pleasant gift as well.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #828 on: October 26, 2022, 10:26:00 AM »
I watched NXT last night and loved The Rock’s daughter getting unmasked as a member of that hipster Wyatt family stable with Grizzled Young Veterans and the guy from CZW.

NXT is looking promising.

Speaking of CZW, I think Jon Moxley’s been overexposed. Like 1998 Willy Santos levels of overexposed.

Serious question…

Why do I see guys in the comments of old wrestling videos on YouTube writing descriptively perverted things about jobbers getting humiliated (I.e. Firebreaker Chip, WCW Special Forces, Van Hammer, Jim Powers, etc.)?

Is there some kind of weird jobber fetish that’s a thing?

They’ve ruined old episodes of WCW Worldwide because of it.

Sightunseen

• Rep: 90
« Reply #829 on: October 26, 2022, 11:58:13 AM »
I watched NXT last night and loved The Rock’s daughter getting unmasked as a member of that hipster Wyatt family stable with Grizzled Young Veterans and the guy from CZW.

Speaking of CZW, I think Jon Moxley’s been overexposed. Like 1998 Willy Santos levels of overexposed.

Serious question…

Why do I see guys in the comments of old wrestling videos on YouTube writing descriptively perverted things about jobbers getting humiliated (I.e. Firebreaker Chip, WCW Special Forces, Van Hammer, Jim Powers, etc.)?

I work with an ex-WWE guy and anytime I use the term Jobber he corrects me with Enhancement Talent and now I can’t Unhear it
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #830 on: October 26, 2022, 12:12:24 PM »
Expand Quote

Serious question…

[close]

I work with an ex-WWE guy and anytime I use the term Jobber he corrects me with Enhancement Talent and now I can’t Unhear it

Jobber is such a funny term though. I call people jobbers in real life and always get a laugh.

1:12 lol. Also JR’s comment shortly afterwards.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #831 on: October 26, 2022, 12:28:24 PM »
You could say “ham and egger”

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #832 on: October 26, 2022, 02:46:55 PM »

Serious question…

Agree with you on Mox. He's got a simple style that works with a lot of opponents but I feel like if you've seen one Mox match you've seen them all. I'm actually not at all excited to see him wrestle Penta and you guys know how much of a Penta mark I am. I get that he's popular in the back and they needed stability but I think it's time for him to take that vacation.

To address your serious question...yes it is an actual fetish hahaha. I had the same reaction when I first started coming across it years ago. It's not just jobbers, but they do seem quite partial to them. There's a community around it and if you watch enough random old matches you'll come across like full discussions about it or people asking and them explaining it.

I remember having the same sort of "is this supposed to be a joke and I just don't get it?" reaction when I first noticed them but I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise that hypermasculine muscle men rolling around in skimpy, flashy outfits would become an object of desire for gay men though. If you swapped Lycra for leather you'd have Tom of Finland's perfect world.

Dynamite might be good tonight. MJF promo, main event Penta in what will likely be a blood bath, and FTR vs SWIOG all sound like can't miss segments. Also hoping Jamie Hayter just brutally squashes Riho and sends her back to dark where she belongs.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 21
« Reply #833 on: October 27, 2022, 06:54:54 AM »
Expand Quote

Serious question…

[close]

WHO?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #834 on: October 27, 2022, 10:06:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Serious question…

[close]

[close]

WHO?

Jim Neidhart? (Most meta reference ever).

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #835 on: October 27, 2022, 10:08:13 AM »
Expand Quote

Serious question…

[close]

Agree with you on Mox. He's got a simple style that works with a lot of opponents but I feel like if you've seen one Mox match you've seen them all. I'm actually not at all excited to see him wrestle Penta and you guys know how much of a Penta mark I am. I get that he's popular in the back and they needed stability but I think it's time for him to take that vacation.

To address your serious question...yes it is an actual fetish hahaha. I had the same reaction when I first started coming across it years ago. It's not just jobbers, but they do seem quite partial to them. There's a community around it and if you watch enough random old matches you'll come across like full discussions about it or people asking and them explaining it.

I remember having the same sort of "is this supposed to be a joke and I just don't get it?" reaction when I first noticed them but I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise that hypermasculine muscle men rolling around in skimpy, flashy outfits would become an object of desire for gay men though. If you swapped Lycra for leather you'd have Tom of Finland's perfect world.

Dynamite might be good tonight. MJF promo, main event Penta in what will likely be a blood bath, and FTR vs SWIOG all sound like can't miss segments. Also hoping Jamie Hayter just brutally squashes Riho and sends her back to dark where she belongs.

Yeah, I was wondering if it was some kind of joke. Just very cringe-inducing commentary.

Those dudes love themselves some Firebreaker Chip lol.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #836 on: October 27, 2022, 01:20:53 PM »
Welp it finally happened. I was so annoyed by Sammy Guevara that I turned off Dynamite last night. I downloaded it afterwards and skipped past that match. I just can't allow myself to contribute to his ratings anymore. He's far and away the worst thing about AEW for me and has been for a while now. I'm going to do my best to just ignore him and hope he goes away.

Rest of the card -

MJF as an insincere, insecure wannabe face might be even better than as a dastardly heel. I can't wait to see him win the belt and then kick Mox in the dick and punch Regal out with the ring.

Renee has done more quality interview segments in two weeks than Marvez and DDPs daughter have done in the past 3 years combined. What a pro, I could watch a 10 minute segment like that every week.

FTR vs swiog was pretty meh. Im kinda burnt out on the uber dramatic 10 false finish matches FTR always has. Keith and Swerve work so well together that it's a shame they're both amazing singles as well.

Oh goddamnit is that Matt Taven.. Wardlow has to wrestle fucking Matt Taven. What the actual fuck Tony? You did such a good job building him and now he's at the bottom of the toy bin. Please. No more tags, no more ROH guys, when's the last time he defended his belt against a credible threat?

Riho vs Hayter... Yeah I just can't do it. I tried. She's 95 pounds. Maybe against other tiny Joshi, definitely not against Hayter. It's every bit as awful as Marko Stunt to me but people mark out because Kenny likes her.

Penta vs Mox was decent. They mostly played the hits but Penta always does at least one thing that makes me fully mark out and this was no exception. Dude is just one of the most consistent and skilled workers I've ever seen. I legit feel like he can pull off any spot you can dream up, and make it look cool to boot. Can't believe no one bled though. Especially after Penta vs Villano IV at triplemania ended up looking like real life Mortal Kombat

https://twitter.com/i/status/1581508133893320704

And in keeping with the fighting game theme, afterwards Penta looked one of like the little pictures that pop up after you beat someone in Street Fighter 2.

https://i.redd.it/mchaw58puqu91.jpg

One of those gimmicks that reminds you that Vince McMahon is, and probably always has been, absolutely insane. We need a 3 hour DSOTR special where people tell Vince stories and a panel of psychiatrists tries to figure out what the fuck is wrong with him.

Firebreaker Chip makes sense. Somehow I'm not shocked that the beefcake in suspenders and a fire helmet came off as homoerotic to some people hahaha. He also had a partner who dressed like a GI Joe figure and looked like Vince McMahon's wet dream, but I can't remember what his name was. The team was called the Patriots but they looked more like the second act of a Chippendale show.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #837 on: October 27, 2022, 01:37:11 PM »
Welp it finally happened. I was so annoyed by Sammy Guevara that I turned off Dynamite last night. I downloaded it afterwards and skipped past that match. I just can't allow myself to contribute to his ratings anymore. He's far and away the worst thing about AEW for me and has been for a while now. I'm going to do my best to just ignore him and hope he goes away.

Rest of the card -

MJF as an insincere, insecure wannabe face might be even better than as a dastardly heel. I can't wait to see him win the belt and then kick Mox in the dick and punch Regal out with the ring.

Renee has done more quality interview segments in two weeks than Marvez and DDPs daughter have done in the past 3 years combined. What a pro, I could watch a 10 minute segment like that every week.

FTR vs swiog was pretty meh. Im kinda burnt out on the uber dramatic 10 false finish matches FTR always has. Keith and Swerve work so well together that it's a shame they're both amazing singles as well.

Oh goddamnit is that Matt Taven.. Wardlow has to wrestle fucking Matt Taven. What the actual fuck Tony? You did such a good job building him and now he's at the bottom of the toy bin. Please. No more tags, no more ROH guys, when's the last time he defended his belt against a credible threat?

Riho vs Hayter... Yeah I just can't do it. I tried. She's 95 pounds. Maybe against other tiny Joshi, definitely not against Hayter. It's every bit as awful as Marko Stunt to me but people mark out because Kenny likes her.

Penta vs Mox was decent. They mostly played the hits but Penta always does at least one thing that makes me fully mark out and this was no exception. Dude is just one of the most consistent and skilled workers I've ever seen. I legit feel like he can pull off any spot you can dream up, and make it look cool to boot. Can't believe no one bled though. Especially after Penta vs Villano IV at triplemania ended up looking like real life Mortal Kombat

https://twitter.com/i/status/1581508133893320704

And in keeping with the fighting game theme, afterwards Penta looked one of like the little pictures that pop up after you beat someone in Street Fighter 2.

https://i.redd.it/mchaw58puqu91.jpg

Expand Quote

[close]

One of those gimmicks that reminds you that Vince McMahon is, and probably always has been, absolutely insane. We need a 3 hour DSOTR special where people tell Vince stories and a panel of psychiatrists tries to figure out what the fuck is wrong with him.

Firebreaker Chip makes sense. Somehow I'm not shocked that the beefcake in suspenders and a fire helmet came off as homoerotic to some people hahaha. He also had a partner who dressed like a GI Joe figure and looked like Vince McMahon's wet dream, but I can't remember what his name was. The team was called the Patriots but they looked more like the second act of a Chippendale show.

They were called The Patriots and were billed from WCW Special Forces. Their tag matches were always good jobber to the stars matches with some actual offense from their side before one of them took a finisher.

That internet community seems to love piledrivers too. That’s where I lol’ed.

The Renegade burial match is another notorious job guy moment. Sadly, it ruined his life.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #838 on: October 30, 2022, 08:18:31 AM »

Alright Trips. I think you got me. I might have to start watching this. Granted the fed audience is still awful and I don't know how much of the production I can take, but Sami is a treasure. The corpsing is understandable, especially if Sami just dropped the uce-y line without warning.

I watched a central states territory (KC, St Louis, Tulsa etc) documentary today and they told a story about Harley Race. Apparently Harley once backhanded someone so hard that he sliced the tip of his own pinky off on the guys tooth. Someone needs to find a way to work that into a storyline, I bet Moxley would blade a fingertip off.

Rumor has it AEW signed both Bandido and Juice Robinson to deals. I don't have a problem as long as they use them. Juice could be a good future ROH champ. Next step is sign Dalton Castle now, and let a bunch of the failures go. Their roster is like legitimately approaching 150 people... For 3 hours of total TV a week. That is a crazy amount of bloat.

I listened to a Cornette show yesterday and he mentioned that he's going to be on Tales from the territories at some point this season. I'm wondering if they did a SMW episode or if he's just going to be on the panel for midsouth. I guess in theory he could be on for Dallas but they really weren't there for very long and didn't really do much of note. Hope it's both SMW and mid south.

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #839 on: October 31, 2022, 05:51:36 PM »
I found a ted dibiase tonka pillow buddy at the thrift store for $4 and now my fiance wants it gone because it 'doesn't fit her aesthetic' 😁