Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 43265 times)

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1680 on: August 04, 2023, 01:18:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hah slow ECW invasion trickle.   Sabu, now RVD.   Wonder when Rhyno is coming and if Sandman is in any shape to
[close]

Judging by the Indy appearances and stuff he was doing a few years ago it's a miracle sandman is alive, but I could still see him coming out and caning someone. Not sure if Tony would pony up for Enter Sandman though, and as much as I love him Sandman is just not that good without the whole entrance.

Im glad he paid for walk but it seemed pretty lost on the audience. I'm assuming most of the crowd is either too young or new to wrestling to have experienced un-dubbed ECW and didn't know who it was until they flashed his name on the screen. Maybe if it was Philly/NY/Baltimore where ECW has established history the pop would have been better. Not sure if I'm particularly excited to see him wrestle since he didn't look particularly lithe (still has some hops though) but I don't want to look up recent matches to see if he can still go and ruin it for myself if he can. Gonna be interesting to see what he can do with Jungle Boy because there's definitely some similarities there style wise, I bet he was an influence on him.

The MJF Cole thing is really looking like it's gonna be Cole betraying Max the more I think about it.  Maybe that's why Roddy is there and freaking out...not because he's worried about Cole being betrayed, but because he's going to do what he did to him with UE to someone else. I'm thinking we end up with either a double heel turn or face MJF vs Punk, since it's pretty obvious that's going to be the next program.
[close]

Rhyno to me is synonymous with the garbage years of ECW (post 1997).

I also think HHH retaking the booking for WWE is what’s best for business.

I didn’t know Riddle skate(s/d), but I’m not surprised he’s hyped on Creature.

I think Jack Perry would be more over if they have him his dad’s 90210 gimmick because his promo work is horrendous.
[close]

I don’t know about HHH.   He’s loads better than Vince booking wise, but does that make him good, or just not bad?   He’s also a creep in his own way, but nothing illegal.  I just couldn’t support any promotion that platforms Logan Paul.
[close]

We can file this one under unpopular opinions, but I’m a huge Kliq fan.

HBK’s my favorite wrestler and Hall and Nash are up there for me.

I’ve noticed every wrestler I’ve seen shoot on the Kliq was always someone mid to begin with. Like Shane Douglas? Come on…his best work was in ECW and even the Triple Threat was weak. The Corre was a better stable lol.

I just think HHH is the best current booker in wrestling. Wayy better than Tony Khan playing with real life action figures.

HHH gave us NXT 2013-2018. Those were the best things WWE has had going since the Attitude Era. He introduced the world to Shinsuke Nakamura, Sami Zayn, and Kevin Owens.
[close]

Bret Hart mid?    Let’s not forget HHH was involved in the screw job and what he did to Chyna.   

Golden era of NXT was basically taking ROH’s toys and doing wwE ROH.   All he had to do was book a takeover bc there wasn’t much going on in the weekly shows

Ok, not Bret. Him and HBK buried the hatchet.

The weekly shows were really good during that era.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #1681 on: August 04, 2023, 01:26:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hah slow ECW invasion trickle.   Sabu, now RVD.   Wonder when Rhyno is coming and if Sandman is in any shape to
[close]

Judging by the Indy appearances and stuff he was doing a few years ago it's a miracle sandman is alive, but I could still see him coming out and caning someone. Not sure if Tony would pony up for Enter Sandman though, and as much as I love him Sandman is just not that good without the whole entrance.

Im glad he paid for walk but it seemed pretty lost on the audience. I'm assuming most of the crowd is either too young or new to wrestling to have experienced un-dubbed ECW and didn't know who it was until they flashed his name on the screen. Maybe if it was Philly/NY/Baltimore where ECW has established history the pop would have been better. Not sure if I'm particularly excited to see him wrestle since he didn't look particularly lithe (still has some hops though) but I don't want to look up recent matches to see if he can still go and ruin it for myself if he can. Gonna be interesting to see what he can do with Jungle Boy because there's definitely some similarities there style wise, I bet he was an influence on him.

The MJF Cole thing is really looking like it's gonna be Cole betraying Max the more I think about it.  Maybe that's why Roddy is there and freaking out...not because he's worried about Cole being betrayed, but because he's going to do what he did to him with UE to someone else. I'm thinking we end up with either a double heel turn or face MJF vs Punk, since it's pretty obvious that's going to be the next program.
[close]

I think Jack Perry would be more over if they have him his dad’s 90210 gimmick because his promo work is horrendous.
[close]

I don’t know about HHH.   He’s loads better than Vince booking wise, but does that make him good, or just not bad?   He’s also a creep in his own way, but nothing illegal.  I just couldn’t support any promotion that platforms Logan Paul.
[close]

I’ve noticed every wrestler I’ve seen shoot on the Kliq was always someone mid to begin with. Like Shane Douglas? Come on…his best work was in ECW and even the Triple Threat was weak. The Corre was a better stable lol.

I just think HHH is the best current booker in wrestling. Wayy better than Tony Khan playing with real life action figures.

HHH gave us NXT 2013-2018. Those were the best things WWE has had going since the Attitude Era. He introduced the world to Shinsuke Nakamura, Sami Zayn, and Kevin Owens.
[close]

Bret Hart mid?    Let’s not forget HHH was involved in the screw job and what he did to Chyna.   

Golden era of NXT was basically taking ROH’s toys and doing wwE ROH.   All he had to do was book a takeover bc there wasn’t much going on in the weekly shows
[close]

Vader was another one

I remember basically just one match with someone you care about and then like a Kona Reeves 5 minute thing.    The main events were good, but can’t be too hard to book a match a week and 4 PPVs a year

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1682 on: August 04, 2023, 02:02:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Vader was another one

I remember basically just one match with someone you care about and then like a Kona Reeves 5 minute thing.    The main events were good, but can’t be too hard to book a match a week and 4 PPVs a year

I never knew about Vader’s issues with the Kliq. He didn’t strike me as a shoot guy. I want tea with my shoots. Like Ole Anderson is an entertaining shoot interview to me.

They tried so hard to make Kona Reeves a thing.

I went to NXT Takeover Philly in 2018 and Italy full credit for starting the “Dallas Sucks” chants aimed at Ember Moon.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1683 on: August 04, 2023, 02:05:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Vader was another one

[close]

I never knew about Vader’s issues with the Kliq. He didn’t strike me as a shoot guy. I want tea with my shoots. Like Ole Anderson is an entertaining shoot interview to me.

I went to NXT Takeover Philly in 2018 and Italy full credit for starting the “Dallas Sucks” chants aimed at Ember Moon.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved that era of NXT, but booking that was very different than booking 2-5 hours a week

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1684 on: August 04, 2023, 02:11:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Vader was another one

[close]

[close]

Don’t get me wrong, I loved that era of NXT, but booking that was very different than booking 2-5 hours a week

Why did my phone autocorrect “take” to “Italy”? Lol.

[url] https://youtu.be/YO55lPt1J-o[url]

This was one of my favorite Takeover moments. Sanity’s debut during that tag tournament was pretty sick too.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 843
« Reply #1685 on: August 05, 2023, 01:03:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Rewatched the 3 way from dynamite... Penta's red gear is always awesome and that avalanche destroyer through the table was just fucked up. Couple great tack bumps too. I don't think anyone else is as hyped on him as I am but he just has that intangible cool factor and I kinda dig this garbage wrestling phase he's been in lately because he doesn't fuck around. Dude's kind of like a modern La Parka.

Im actually totally cool with Moxley doing those matches if it keeps him out of the main event. They really need a class on how to not be so obvious about blading though... like surely Jarrett could show them? When I watch the old guys I swear it's always either off camera or totally imperceptible but like every AEW match I have to watch guys reaching up and pulling something off their wrist tape then awkwardly trying to do the deed laying in the corner. Just do what Flair used to and stick your entire head under the apron.
[close]

Agreed on a lot - especially loving penta

I just made the La Parka connection during that match but it's actually probably the best modern comp for him - they're both traditional lucha guys who embraced the hardcore style, always get a reaction from the live crowd, and dress like skeletons. Wonder if Penta is gonna have a couple sons and start shooting on Gringos late in his career.

Every time I end up Twitter or Reddit I see the absolute worst wrestling takes, but today might have been the worst yet...I saw someone saying in all seriousness that the "stealth MVP" of full gear was.... Satnam Singh. That was the show MJF won the belt on, the first bo7 trio match, and really the beginning of them getting back on track as a promotion, but nah it was the giant guy who actually wasn't even in a match and just did some interference spots who REALLY carried the show.

Don't have any plans tonight at the moment, so I might watch collision. I don't know if I'm at full Collider status yet, but I did like what I saw last week.

Oh and I've been binge watching late era Stampede (87-90) lately and it's been very enjoyable for a dude who loves campy territories. It's the most I've seen of really young Pillman and he was a natural for sure, especially on the mic. Lots of pre-malaria Steve Blackman too, dude would have been a decent bland babyface but I like him better in his silent badass WWF run. What keeps me watching it is that Bruce Hart is probably the most unintentionally hilarious wrestler I've ever seen. He looks like shit and mumbles and stumbles through every promo, but he will tell you with a straight face he was better than Bret or Owen haha. I know he's nowhere near big enough for a Dark Side, but I would love to hear what awful things hes surely done. I know when he was a teacher he fucked and impregnated one of his students when she was 14 or 15 but Stu made them get married and managed to keep a lid on it.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1686 on: August 05, 2023, 03:29:38 PM »
Summerslam predictions?

Anyone going?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1687 on: August 05, 2023, 07:48:18 PM »
Wembley Matches so far

Young Bucks vs FTR - Rubber Match
Samoa Joe vs CM Punk

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1688 on: August 05, 2023, 08:20:51 PM »
Summerslam is PPV of the year so far.

Not a single bad match yet. Every match has been an A grade easily. Match storytelling all around was great.

Even Logan Paul’s match with Ricochet was amazing.

The women’s triple threat match is match of the night and if Dave Meltzer doesn’t give that five stars, he’s smoking wet.

The cash in afterwards was great, but kinda sad bc Bianca Belair looks to be legit hurt.

Has to be HHH behind the reins here.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1689 on: August 05, 2023, 09:52:47 PM »

Not a single bad match yet. Every match has been an A grade easily. Match storytelling all around was great.

The women’s triple threat match is match of the night and if Dave Meltzer doesn’t give that five stars, he’s smoking wet.

The cash in afterwards was great, but kinda sad bc Bianca Belair looks to be legit hurt.

Vince stepped away bc he had major spinal surgery and more indictments

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1690 on: August 05, 2023, 09:56:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That was actually my first thought.

Also corroborates my HHH being the best current booker in wrestling argument.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1691 on: August 05, 2023, 10:02:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I know he doesn’t touch Roman stuff, but i can’t believe how over that shit is.    It seems like it’s been the same fucking story beat every time.    Next PPV will be Jimmy vs Jey and the Solo will turn on Bloodline

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1692 on: August 06, 2023, 05:08:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I know he doesn’t touch Roman stuff, but i can’t believe how over that shit is.    It seems like it’s been the same fucking story beat every time.    Next PPV will be Jimmy vs Jey and the Solo will turn on Bloodline

Bloodline might be a top 5 all time storyline. I think Sami helped get it over with how much he made them all break character. That whole storyline finally got Roman reigns over.

WPG

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1693 on: August 06, 2023, 08:53:21 AM »
Could be more on me because I don't watch Raw/SD anymore, but I got home from the bar and threw on the main event and couldn't believe my disappointment seeing Roman win again thanks to outside interference. I know it's kind of his gimmick but I can't help but feel every wrestler in the WWE is beyond stupid for not making a friend or 2 backstage and say hey help me out this week I'll give you a title shot. I know I'm working myself into a shoot and overthinking it but I can't stand this unstoppable champ only because of outside interference
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1694 on: August 06, 2023, 01:26:08 PM »

Gonna assume you posted this before the Rousey match haha. That is, unfortunately, where I tuned in (on a pirated stream) and I think I made it through about a minute before going to make food. Makes the fact they bumped Trish vs Becky off the card that much worse. I did watch the Balor vs Seth match while I ate but it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. I felt like it really needed 5 more minutes and for Balor to be on the offensive for most of it for that finish to really hit. Main event was a bit of a popcorn fart too. I know they were never going to have an Uso be the one who breaks Roman's streak but it's pretty same old shit without Sami to keep it fun.

I did watch some of collision too..Joe cut a killer promo as usual but overall they definitely seemed like they took it easy since they were up against ss. The punk vs starks thing was kinda meh for me. I hate when the match seems like an afterthought and they're just going through the motions to get to the post-match angle. I knew Steamboat was gonna take some kind of bump once I saw him wearing multiple shirts but I thought it was going to be a table bump or something, definitely wasn't expecting him to have a live action Roots scene reenactment. Brian Cage would be proud because Ricky definitely got his shit in there.

The more Stampede I watch the more convinced I become that Ed Whalen is a top 10 commentary guy. He's basically the Canadian Lance Russell.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 01:25:09 AM by Sativa Lung »

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1695 on: August 06, 2023, 01:47:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gonna assume you posted this before the Rousey match haha. That is, unfortunately, where I tuned in (on a pirated stream) and I think I made it through about a minute before going to make food. Makes the fact they bumped Trish vs Becky off the card is that much worse. I did watch the Balor vs Seth match while I ate but it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. I felt like it really needed 5 more minutes and for Balor to be on the offensive for most of it for that finish to really hit. Main event was a bit of a popcorn fart too. I know they were never going to have an Uso be the one who breaks Roman's streak but it's pretty same old shit without Sami to keep it fun.

I did watch some of collision too..Joe cut a killer promo as usual but overall they definitely seemed like they took it easy since they were up against ss. The punk vs starks thing was kinda meh for me. I hate when the match seems like an afterthought and they're just going through the motions to get to the post-match angle. I knew Steamboat was gonna take some kind of bump once I saw him wearing multiple shirts but I thought it was going to be a table bump or something, definitely wasn't expecting him to have a live action Roots scene reenactment. Brian Cage would be proud because Ricky definitely got his shit in there.

The more Stampede I watch the more convinced I become that Ed Whalen is a top 10 commentary guy. He's basically the Canadian Lance Russell.

I actually went and took a dump while doing Duolingo lessons during that match.

I don’t watch MMA and hate cross sport rules gimmick matches.

I came back right as Shayna Baszler one. I was just really happy to see her go over.

The rest of the card was incredible, with not a single bad match.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1696 on: August 07, 2023, 05:57:51 AM »
All that matters is Gunther remains the Intercontinental champion. Drew McIntyre will continue to be boring & awful on the microphone.

LA Knight getting his moment ruled too.

Brock & Cody was my favorite. Just well done & absolutely going into a Kurt Angle/Brock friendship storyline which was one of my favorites as a teen.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1697 on: August 07, 2023, 04:24:54 PM »
Big night for the Paul brothers, they both won rigged fights!

Gunther is amazing.

Bloodline story stays really good.

MMA fight was awful. Bayzler and Ronda are awful.

Brock and Cody was pretty good but how many times does Cody need to do that springboard kick in one match?

But it is nice to have a few WWE things that are crushing that I look forward to seeing.

LA Knight is the most over dude in all wrestling right now, hope WWE can capitalize.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1698 on: August 08, 2023, 06:19:54 AM »

Gunther is amazing.

Brock and Cody was pretty good but how many times does Cody need to do that springboard kick in one match?

But it is nice to have a few WWE things that are crushing that I look forward to seeing.

LA Knight is the most over dude in all wrestling right now, hope WWE can capitalize.

The MMA fight reminded me of the KO matches with Bradshaw, Williams & Holly. Just silence too. A bummer as I do like Rousey.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1699 on: August 09, 2023, 12:45:25 AM »

Gunther is amazing.

I have a feeling Knight is going to burn out eventually and do the thing where he refuses to change his gimmick and just takes it to impact and then progressively less prestigious indy shows. He can talk but I don't see anything from him that keeps me engaged and wanting to watch his matches or a character I can identify with and get invested in. Basically mr. Kennnedy all over again.

Whats the deal with MMM? Im out of the loop since I don't watch the TV but last time I saw something with them it was very good comedy work and I enjoyed it. Maxxine had that "I know this is a cookie cutter character but I'm making the most of it" thing too which I like...Lana was the same way.

Started reading a few chapters of a book about Stampede that I found online and Im thinking maybe we DO need a Hart family Dark Side that focuses on everything besides Bret and Owen. I really just want to hear the Bruce Hart stories because I think he might secretly be the biggest IRL heel in wrestling. Aside from being bad in the ring, mumbling through every promo for 20 years and having the most hilariously awkward "I wish I was the Fonz" wardrobe, he was also apparently a jealous, delusional fuckwad who genuinely thought he was better than his brothers and deserved their spot in the fed.

Oh and can't forget about the fact he was a schoolteacher who knocked up his 14 year old student and had to marry her so Stu could keep the story somewhat under wraps. Basically everything I've seen or read about the guy points to him being super unlikeable and I feel like you'd find some gold if you started digging there

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1700 on: August 09, 2023, 02:06:43 AM »
Expand Quote

Gunther is amazing.

[close]

I have a feeling Knight is going to burn out eventually and do the thing where he refuses to change his gimmick and just takes it to impact and then progressively less prestigious indy shows. He can talk but I don't see anything from him that keeps me engaged and wanting to watch his matches or a character I can identify with and get invested in. Basically mr. Kennnedy all over again.

Whats the deal with MMM? Im out of the loop since I don't watch the TV but last time I saw something with them it was very good comedy work and I enjoyed it. Maxxine had that "I know this is a cookie cutter character but I'm making the most of it" thing too which I like...Lana was the same way.

Started reading a few chapters of a book about Stampede that I found online and Im thinking maybe we DO need a Hart family Dark Side that focuses on everything besides Bret and Owen. I really just want to hear the Bruce Hart stories because I think he might secretly be the biggest IRL heel in wrestling. Aside from being bad in the ring, mumbling through every promo for 20 years and having the most hilariously awkward "I wish I was the Fonz" wardrobe, he was also apparently a jealous, delusional fuckwad who genuinely thought he was better than his brothers and deserved their spot in the fed.

Oh and can't forget about the fact he was a schoolteacher who knocked up his 14 year old student and had to marry her so Stu could keep the story somewhat under wraps. Basically everything I've seen or read about the guy points to him being super unlikeable and I feel like you'd find some gold if you started digging there

Wasn’t he already there as Eli Drake?   

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #1701 on: August 09, 2023, 07:57:09 AM »
Just got done watching Marty Jannetty dark side of the ring episode.

Imo one of the better episodes this season.   

I wish the episodes were a little bit longer.

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #1702 on: August 09, 2023, 08:32:58 AM »

This season was super hit or miss for me but this episode was definitely the highlight. From the last few minutes of Al Snow and Jannetty’s old friend it definitely sounds like that “story” wasn’t just for wrestling.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1703 on: August 09, 2023, 06:42:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Gunther is amazing.

[close]

[close]

Wasn’t he already there as Eli Drake?   

LA Knight still has a lot to prove. He was absolutely cooked by The Miz on Raw. The Miz is a great test and solid first feud for him as he’s an excellent orator with more experience. This feud will determine if Knight should get a push.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1704 on: August 10, 2023, 04:20:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This season was super hit or miss for me but this episode was definitely the highlight. From the last few minutes of Al Snow and Jannetty’s old friend it definitely sounds like that “story” wasn’t just for wrestling.

Jannetty episode was real good but IMO the best episode of the season was Doink.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1705 on: August 10, 2023, 06:37:46 AM »
@busey well done with the Jannetty episode. Not my favorite of the series but it was still a joy to watch. Top ones of this season was definitely Doink, Bash at the Beach, Magnum TA & Bam Bam Bigelow.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 06:58:32 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1706 on: August 10, 2023, 07:11:20 AM »
My favorite part of the Jannetty episode was Al Snow talking about Marty like a disappointed father.

Second favorite was the actual footage of the motorcycle in the India hotel lobby.

Third was the interview with a real life ring rat. The years were not kind to her either.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1707 on: August 10, 2023, 07:36:41 AM »
DSOR: "Yeah Marty, we talked to Karen, she said you two were in a relationship, was she your girlfriend?"

Marty: "Yeah, in St. Louis, hahahha"

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1708 on: August 10, 2023, 07:59:26 AM »
Dynamite last night was again just a huge let down. BCC continues to be the worse. Just seeing Moxley sit in the corner not even trying to break up the pins & missing the mark on the double team piledriver (Fenix & Penta did too) just was blatantly obvious & probably made things even more dangerous as these idiots are out there doing moves they are not confident in.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1709 on: August 10, 2023, 08:01:40 AM »
My favorite part of the Jannetty episode was Al Snow talking about Marty like a disappointed father.

Second favorite was the actual footage of the motorcycle in the India hotel lobby.

Third was the interview with a real life ring rat. The years were not kind to her either.

The motorcycle footage was insane. And also just the discussion of him getting fired one week before WWE was going to take him back & pay him 1,000,00.00 is wild & confirms that he is unhinged or as he says, “GAT”.