Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 43260 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 843
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1950 on: November 18, 2023, 11:50:55 PM »
Claudio vs Buddy Matthews Full Gear pre show should be quite good

Buddy can work with a broomstick and make it look good so Ill definitely watch that. That fucker won me over purely on his in-ring (has he ever even cut a promo?) and despite being overrated in almost every other way Claudio is one of the best "bases" in the world so I would expect to see at least one WTF spot.

Watched some old stampede earlier and they had a few Rhonda Singh matches and I was pretty impressed. Power moves galore and she could move. She was definitely ahead of her time and it's a shame Vince turned her into a fat joke when he got ahold of her. He did the same thing with Mike Shaw who he turned into Bastion Booger/Friar Ferguson so maybe he really did secretly hate everything that came from stampede.

Ospreay is such a perfect fit for AEW so it was so obvious that everyone expected a swerve haha. This was all pretty much a done deal after the Wembley match with Jericho I'd imagine, they just had to wait for the legal side to get worked out. I fully expect him to be rocketed up and be facing Kenny for the belt at some point in the next year. If the intent is actually to run Wembley on bank holiday weekend (I really hope they don't because the attendance will almost certainly be lower and that's all anyone will talk about) then that would be the match I'd see as the only logical headliner.

Edit - just got home and watched Hangman Swerve. Holy shit. I knew they were going to bring the house down but that's on the level of War of Hell in my modern deathmatch ranking and I don't say that lightly. Good build and an amazing match.. please keep this feud going somehow I could watch those two all day. How the fuck is the handsome, chiseled, athletic Babyface cowboy with dreamy blue eyes secretly the best deathmatch wrestler in the company?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 12:25:57 AM by Sativa Lung »

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #1951 on: November 19, 2023, 12:38:45 AM »
Apparently AEW has an edge with these NJPW wrestlers bc of the agreement between the promotions means it isn’t tampering if AEW talks before their contract is up bc Osprey was done with NJ’s blessing

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1952 on: November 19, 2023, 07:32:47 AM »
Looks like Louie Lopez was there live (probably due to the signing at FA).   Wonder what he made of that Swerve/Page match.   Finally caught up to it today.   Jesus

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1953 on: November 20, 2023, 10:19:44 PM »
Why did they put Hogan and Mr. T in the Primitive collab…..

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1954 on: November 21, 2023, 05:18:59 AM »
I saw some footage from the meet and greet at the FA store and it looked pretty fun, although I did see in the comments that it was $125 for the autograph and photo package deal. I guess that is pretty standard rates if you went to a convention and met them all separately though.

You could wait in a line and get chopped by Brody King as well and that looked pretty cool.

PPV was decent enough except for the main event booking which was just a mess. Like we believed Adam Cole was magically gonna be ready to wrestle..

Gotta shout out Kota Ibushi for that awful display on the bicycle on dynamite as well. That was comically bad.

Love Love Love Toni Storm and its pretty funny that Luther is now her butler.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1955 on: November 21, 2023, 01:26:38 PM »
Agreed the main event was silly but still fun. MJF selling a bad knee and still jumping over the top rope to diamond cutter Jay White to the floor didn’t quite add up, but was goofy enough to be funny. Also loved MJF saying “fuck it” to the botched table spot and elbow dropping straight to the floor.

Swerve/Hangman was NUTS. Started on an EXTREMELY high bar and stayed heavy the whole way through. It’s one of those matches I feel like I have to call my non-wrestling friends and tell them about.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1956 on: November 21, 2023, 02:55:01 PM »
I saw some footage from the meet and greet at the FA store and it looked pretty fun, although I did see in the comments that it was $125 for the autograph and photo package deal. I guess that is pretty standard rates if you went to a convention and met them all separately though.

You could wait in a line and get chopped by Brody King as well and that looked pretty cool.

PPV was decent enough except for the main event booking which was just a mess. Like we believed Adam Cole was magically gonna be ready to wrestle..

Gotta shout out Kota Ibushi for that awful display on the bicycle on dynamite as well. That was comically bad.

Love Love Love Toni Storm and its pretty funny that Luther is now her butler.

Brody was in FA with Darby and in S1 of I Think You Should Leave - he’s really done all you can to be a peripheral skater besides get tacos with Atiba

Love Toni Storm too.   I like when a new gimmick comes up and just works so well as well as giving feeding naturally that new talent they signed as an All About Eve scenario.   

Read in some dirt sheets that the Fed doesn’t think they actually have a chance for MJF so they’re trying to get the word out to spoil his “biggest contract negotiation” bit.   

It just feels like AEW is on the rise for the first time since the CM Punk shenanigans

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1957 on: November 22, 2023, 11:05:55 AM »
https://primitiveskate.com/collections/wwe

Wayyy better than the Palace collab.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1958 on: November 24, 2023, 01:35:16 PM »
Ronda popped up in ROH and had a pretty good showing in a tag match.  Seems like a one-off

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1959 on: November 25, 2023, 05:32:35 AM »
Why did they announce Ospreay so long before he's done with NJPW? Are they trying to get ahead of something or did TK just use it to try and push some more PPV buys? Seems it would've made more sense to announce at World's End. Maybe someone else will show up there
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1960 on: November 25, 2023, 05:44:23 AM »
Why did they announce Ospreay so long before he's done with NJPW? Are they trying to get ahead of something or did TK just use it to try and push some more PPV buys? Seems it would've made more sense to announce at World's End. Maybe someone else will show up there

I think as a pure PR move to show AEW is still the place premier free agents are choosing after recent speculation he could go to the Fed, but I don’t doubt it attracted eyes to the PPV   

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1961 on: November 25, 2023, 08:10:11 PM »
Working so hard to deny it, shouldn’t have been surprising

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1962 on: November 26, 2023, 03:04:45 AM »

NVM think I know the answer now
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1963 on: November 26, 2023, 03:18:13 AM »
CM Punk returns to WWE.

Survivor series last night was grand.

Gunther vs the Miz was a golden match with Miz really testing Gunther & actually making you believe for a second he may win. Gunther retains with a modified Boston crab submission.

Dragon Lee & Santos Escobar also kept me glued to the tv set & I'm actually stoked Escobar dominated & won as we are getting to see him shine a bit. Also stoked Lee is getting a push on Smackdown.

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #1964 on: November 26, 2023, 03:29:11 AM »
Mad props to WWE for how well they kept the Punk return under wraps.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1965 on: November 26, 2023, 04:06:00 AM »

A lot of people are saying this, but did they really keep it a secret?   It was a known possibility that was denied seemingly every day this week, but I think most people thought it was far-fetched enough considering Punks bad history with a lot of people involved (plus, the honeymoon after that initial pop gets shorter and shorter) and would need visual proof before they believed it anyways

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #1966 on: November 26, 2023, 05:21:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A lot of people are saying this, but did they really keep it a secret?   It was a known possibility that was denied seemingly every day this week, but I think most people thought it was far-fetched enough considering Punks bad history with a lot of people involved (plus, the honeymoon after that initial pop gets shorter and shorter) and would need visual proof before they believed it anyways

Maybe I just spent too much time on the SquaredCircle subreddit but everyone including me seemed to think it was no way this was happening mostly due to every reputable wrestling reporter saying it flat out won’t happen.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1967 on: November 26, 2023, 07:41:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Maybe I just spent too much time on the SquaredCircle subreddit but everyone including me seemed to think it was no way this was happening mostly due to every reputable wrestling reporter saying it flat out won’t happen.

Right I’m with you on that … I just think to praise the Fed for keeping it a secret, there wouldn’t have even been the rampant speculation.   It got to the point where they were denying it a little too much in retrospect

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1968 on: November 26, 2023, 11:39:23 AM »
Pretty well kept in the sense that it was not announced to anyone internally until a few hours before. Sounds like a lot of people are disgruntled including Drew McIntyre.

Hoping Seth Rollins & Punk have a mania match. While I'm not a huge Priest fan, I’d love for him to cash in on Rollins the way he did when he first won gold against Lesnar & Reigns.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1969 on: November 27, 2023, 07:51:19 PM »
On the positive side, they made Survivor Series finally feel like one of the Big Four PPVs

Negative side, we’re now in Royal Rumble season which means the utterly pointless “declare for the Rumble” promos as if there isn’t more than enough room for everyone

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 808
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #1970 on: November 30, 2023, 06:07:45 AM »
Been a bit since I've posted in here.

Survivor Series was great, women's War Games match was exceptional from first entrance to final bell. Iyo, Bayley and Charlotte all really shined.

I went to Dynamite last night, my first live AEW event. It was good, better than what some people make it out to be. Top Flight and Julia Hart are from the Twin Cities, so they had matches and got big pops. Swerve Strickland is also extremely over, it seems - probably the biggest pop of the night. We stayed for the Rampage taping and got to see Sting and Ric Flair speak for a bit - Ric talked a little bit about working for Verne Gagne, which was fun as well. Biggest critique of the night for me is that they hardly promoted any of the women's division. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but there were only 2 women's matches over three hours, and there was little to no presence of them in promo packages throughout the night.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1971 on: November 30, 2023, 07:44:01 AM »
Actually enjoyed an entire episode of Dynamite which hasn't happened in awhile.

Loving the MJF/Joe angle with Joe being the savior to protect Max and make sure he gets to their match as healthy as possible.

They really DID NOT need to replay the dante Martin injury though. Why would they highlight that the guys take really risky bumps and are constantly getting hurt.

Swerve and Jay White was awesome.

I really like RUSH.

I also really like that Julia Hart didn't die her hair black when she joined HOB.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1972 on: November 30, 2023, 08:00:18 AM »
Yeah the blonde suits the look too.  If she went too goth she’s look like mini Rhea Ripley.   (Saying this made me realize she’s not far from female Darby)

Speaking of Darby, saw people speculating that he could be the final opponent for Sting at the Greensboro Colosseum

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1973 on: November 30, 2023, 07:42:25 PM »
I think I might get Punk - Rollins for my Wrestlemania night 2 draw. So glad I got my ticket.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1974 on: December 14, 2023, 03:34:29 AM »
Gotta say that the no storyline and just good match edition of Dynamite last night was pretty good.

I really like Rush.

Swerve should be fighting for a title at some point in 2024.

I hope Joe wins the title and somehow we get a heel MJF back, this babyface shit aint working for me.

Dolph Ziggler to AEW?

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1975 on: December 18, 2023, 08:19:55 AM »
Damn.

Diverticulitus for Kenny Omega.

Another ripple in AEW booking that Tony isn't ready for or creative enough to book around.

I could see Sammy coming back to fill the spot but they are supposed to be the faces and everybody hates sammy.

Maybe a lengthy and meaningless tournament to determine Jericho's new partner? HA!

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1976 on: December 18, 2023, 09:18:27 AM »
Sasha Banks Rumble return?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1977 on: December 26, 2023, 10:39:22 AM »
Anyone see The Iron Claw yet? I’m planning to catch it this week since I’m off.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1978 on: December 26, 2023, 11:03:07 AM »
Anyone see The Iron Claw yet? I’m planning to catch it this week since I’m off.

Nah.  I watched the Cassandro El Exotico movie instead bc it wasn’t going to be a mega-bummer

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1979 on: December 28, 2023, 06:08:11 AM »
Scotty 2 Hotty huh