Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 43305 times)

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1980 on: December 28, 2023, 09:19:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone see The Iron Claw yet? I’m planning to catch it this week since I’m off.
[close]

Nah.  I watched the Cassandro El Exotico movie instead bc it wasn’t going to be a mega-bummer

Iron Claw was really good. I loved their Freebirds - Von Erich’s montage set to Rush.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #1981 on: December 28, 2023, 09:56:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah.  I watched the Cassandro El Exotico movie instead bc it wasn’t going to be a mega-bummer
[close]

Iron Claw was really good. I loved their Freebirds - Von Erich’s montage set to Rush.

Part of me wants to, but part of me can’t stand Jeremy Allen White.   We’ll have to see which side wins out

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1982 on: December 28, 2023, 03:23:00 PM »
Samoa Joe turning on MJF. AEW continues to drop the ball on Swerve. AEW also fails to resign MJF. Samoa Joe new champ? Sure!

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1983 on: December 28, 2023, 04:19:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Part of me wants to, but part of me can’t stand Jeremy Allen White.   We’ll have to see which side wins out

He plays Kerry Von Erich, nothing good happens to his character.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1984 on: December 28, 2023, 07:59:16 PM »
Samoa Joe turning on MJF. AEW continues to drop the ball on Swerve. AEW also fails to resign MJF. Samoa Joe new champ? Sure!

I think Joe will be new champ bc MJF is pretty banged up.  After getting CM Punk, I feel like the Fed can wait for MJF bc there’s not a ton of room on the upper card for him at the moment.   MJF and Swerve are the top solo stars in AEW, why not stay there?

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #1985 on: December 30, 2023, 09:12:56 AM »
Currently this morning there’s word around town (twitter) that Jericho may have SA’d Kylie Rae and that’s why she left so quickly back in 2019.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1986 on: January 01, 2024, 08:08:32 AM »
Will be curious how much Kevin Dunn’s departure affects WWE’s presentation going forward.   

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1987 on: January 01, 2024, 06:31:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think Joe will be new champ bc MJF is pretty banged up.  After getting CM Punk, I feel like the Fed can wait for MJF bc there’s not a ton of room on the upper card for him at the moment.   MJF and Swerve are the top solo stars in AEW, why not stay there?

More money? AEW is a sinking ship? I will say I’m happy Samoa Joe won. I just hope he’s a fighting champ & we get a good storyline. Also, Kingston as a Triple Crown Champion continues to show my AEW is certainly a circus. If this was going to be the case, why bury all the talent in the contest i.e Rush & Claudio, both who are top notch. Let them get farther. Maybe let them lose instead of Moxley. He’s done it already. Just a confusing series of matches & a poor outcome.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1988 on: January 01, 2024, 11:25:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

More money? AEW is a sinking ship? I will say I’m happy Samoa Joe won. I just hope he’s a fighting champ & we get a good storyline. Also, Kingston as a Triple Crown Champion continues to show my AEW is certainly a circus. If this was going to be the case, why bury all the talent in the contest i.e Rush & Claudio, both who are top notch. Let them get farther. Maybe let them lose instead of Moxley. He’s done it already. Just a confusing series of matches & a poor outcome.

AEW got the last two big free agents and is likely getting Mercedes.   They are far from a sinking ship. 

Eddie got the title in NY and has built in history with Mox.   Makes sense to me

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1989 on: January 03, 2024, 06:16:41 AM »
The whole "AEW is a sinking ship" narrative is hilarious. The Monday Night Wars really fucked up people's ability to view wrestling with any form of rationality.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1990 on: January 03, 2024, 06:55:23 AM »
The whole "AEW is a sinking ship" narrative is hilarious. The Monday Night Wars really fucked up people's ability to view wrestling with any form of rationality.

Right?   I think people expect it to be as big as WWE is currently within 5 years which is wild.   It just happens that WWE has been making huge financial moves this year as would be expected from a legacy media company. 

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1991 on: January 03, 2024, 08:21:58 AM »
 People often forget that WWE had a 50 year head start on AEW.

Non wrestling fans still don't even know what AEW is.

WCW was even regional and pretty low budget for years before they got the big investor and were ready to compete. When Nitro premiered they had somewhat of a built in audience already and were ready to roll.

AEW just materialized from scratch of the strength of a PPV. They just posted up and went nuts, which worked for the first 2 years when everything was going great and nobody was hurt or fighting each other backstage.

And I'm finally ready to see the end of Jericho. He is golden on commentary and should just be there from here on out. Maybe use that for an angle to pry him off the commentary for one final battle. But my god if he somehow starts another faction with Sammy G and some randoms I'm gonna lose it.

Honestly surprised he didn't shoehorn himself in as the Devil.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1992 on: January 03, 2024, 08:36:50 AM »
People often forget that WWE had a 50 year head start on AEW.

Non wrestling fans still don't even know what AEW is.

WCW was even regional and pretty low budget for years before they got the big investor and were ready to compete. When Nitro premiered they had somewhat of a built in audience already and were ready to roll.

AEW just materialized from scratch of the strength of a PPV. They just posted up and went nuts, which worked for the first 2 years when everything was going great and nobody was hurt or fighting each other backstage.

And I'm finally ready to see the end of Jericho. He is golden on commentary and should just be there from here on out. Maybe use that for an angle to pry him off the commentary for one final battle. But my god if he somehow starts another faction with Sammy G and some randoms I'm gonna lose it.

Honestly surprised he didn't shoehorn himself in as the Devil.

Yeah this Kylie Rae stuff seemed like it would be the start of the fade out, but it seems to have gone away

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1993 on: January 03, 2024, 09:46:31 AM »
Another reason why all wrestling fans should watch The Iron Claw.

There is nothing new under the sun and what AEW is it’s basically what Jerry Jarrett was to some of the territories, including WCCW. In this case, Tony Kahn is Jerry Jarrett and ROH is WCCW.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1994 on: January 04, 2024, 01:34:52 AM »
Another reason why all wrestling fans should watch The Iron Claw.

There is nothing new under the sun and what AEW is it’s basically what Jerry Jarrett was to some of the territories, including WCCW. In this case, Tony Kahn is Jerry Jarrett and ROH is WCCW.

Maybe someone else can speak to this, but I thought Jerry Jarrett kinda operated with connections from VKM as the territory days were wrapping up

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1995 on: January 04, 2024, 01:37:24 AM »
Another sign of AEW’s demise:

Signing Deanna Purazzo, one of the best women’s wrestlers right now.   If they sign Mercedes as well, they have a pretty damn good women’s division going

(Most Fed fans would probably not care about this, they’ll just be stoked on X-PAC making a surprise appearance at Royal Rumble)

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1996 on: January 10, 2024, 04:56:44 PM »
JINDER

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1997 on: January 10, 2024, 06:26:03 PM »
JINDER

Why are Fed fans into him.   Are they already fooling themselves into thinking he had a great and deserved title reign?

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1998 on: January 12, 2024, 08:23:17 AM »
He can be a monster heel. Period.

As far as the attitude era influence & how it (does not) skew(s) my view on AEW, I grew up on WCW. So I know what smaller promotions are capable of & WCW was good. WCW still out shadows AEW even though TK desperately wants to recreate it. 99-end was bad but I still watched. Attitude era was good but I think at the time it was so new, along with what was on tv, it really didn’t set a bar as much as it simply was captured as one of the greatest times in wrestling. Then you have the ruthlessness aggression era, the invasion, you name it. And for me, RA time was the best as that’s when we got Benoit, Jericho, Cena, Orton, Lesnar, Shelton, Kurt Angle’s push, the list goes on…..
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 05:20:27 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1999 on: January 12, 2024, 08:37:23 AM »
Expand Quote
JINDER
[close]

Why are Fed fans into him.   Are they already fooling themselves into thinking he had a great and deserved title reign?
I think it’s more the irony of cheering for him because they know that his run was garbage. At the time, I was okay with it because it was “Land Of Opportunity” Smackdown where they were just trying different things. He’s not a good wrestler, he’s an okay promo, and his theme is the best thing about him.

I also just don’t like Tony Khan and will root against him any chance I get. To me the difference between what he’s doing and what Bischoff did 20+ years ago is Bischoff didn’t come across as whiney. TK doesn’t have the aura yet. The company is still very young, and TK can work on his presence and maybe in five more years he’ll be better at this.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2000 on: January 12, 2024, 10:28:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
JINDER
[close]

[close]
I think it’s more the irony of cheering for him because they know that his run was garbage. At the time, I was okay with it because it was “Land Of Opportunity” Smackdown where they were just trying different things. He’s not a good wrestler, he’s an okay promo, and his theme is the best thing about him.

I also just don’t like Tony Khan and will root against him any chance I get. To me the difference between what he’s doing and what Bischoff did 20+ years ago is Bischoff didn’t come across as whiney. TK doesn’t have the aura yet. The company is still very young, and TK can work on his presence and maybe in five more years he’ll be better at this.

I’ll take whiny over Vince (need I go into the myriad ways he’s a piece of shit?   He’s also one of Trumps best friends) and HHH (Curtain Call, Screwjob, general Kliq bullying, Chyna).

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 808
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #2001 on: January 12, 2024, 10:29:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
JINDER
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’ll take whiny over Vince (need I go into the myriad ways he’s a piece of shit?   He’s also one of Trumps best friends) and HHH (Curtain Call, Screwjob, general Kliq bullying, Chyna).
Linda was in his cabinet as well.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2002 on: January 12, 2024, 01:51:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
JINDER
[close]

[close]

[close]

There’s no denying Vince has been a scumbag longer than most of us have been alive, they’re not continually throwing shots on Twitter with nothing to back it up. Also can’t ignore TK not addressing the Jericho allegations

I keep up with my favorites in AEW (Mox, Black, MJF), and I like when there’s competition but I think they need to give it time before they come for the crown.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2003 on: January 12, 2024, 04:57:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
JINDER
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
There’s no denying Vince has been a scumbag longer than most of us have been alive, they’re not continually throwing shots on Twitter with nothing to back it up. Also can’t ignore TK not addressing the Jericho allegations

I keep up with my favorites in AEW (Mox, Black, MJF), and I like when there’s competition but I think they need to give it time before they come for the crown.

Agreed about the Jericho thing, but there may be silence tied to letting her out of her contract immediately

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2004 on: January 12, 2024, 05:03:47 PM »
Tony Khan & AEW will never come close to what Eric Bischoff ever did. They’ll endlessly try to capture a WCW atmosphere but will never achieve it.

I keep watching for Danielson, Samoa Joe & MJF. Mox here & there but man oh man, it’s hard at times.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2005 on: January 12, 2024, 05:15:32 PM »
Let’s also add the fact that Sting & AEW somehow felt that it was good for wrestling that his last match (with AEW) is a tag team match w/Darby Allin against the Young Bucks….

I am certain this is because Sting cannot wrestle well anymore in a one on one as he really just does street fights which involve no technical wrestling, etc. Anyone see his recent botch this Wednesday? Powerhouse is lucky….

Mind you, grew up with Sting, loved surfer sting, dingo sting/warrior sting & most importantly, WCW Crow Sting. He had it for sure. But not now. Not at all.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 07:19:55 PM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2006 on: January 16, 2024, 06:22:03 AM »
Tony Khan & AEW will never come close to what Eric Bischoff ever did.

Tank two promotions within a short time of joining them?
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2007 on: January 16, 2024, 02:33:03 PM »
I know people hate the guy, but he spit facts on this one.

https://youtu.be/P92X8X6DAzA?si=2nHmp_3mYYqVAwaI

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2008 on: January 16, 2024, 04:23:01 PM »
I know people hate the guy, but he spit facts on this one.

https://youtu.be/P92X8X6DAzA?si=2nHmp_3mYYqVAwaI

Sounds like he’s trying to pivot into being Cornette.   

Real reason ratings in wrestling went down is because they went down across the board for all of television.   

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2009 on: January 16, 2024, 05:52:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Tony Khan & AEW will never come close to what Eric Bischoff ever did.
[close]

Tank two promotions within a short time of joining them?

Regarding WCW, this is not true at all. Eric Bischoff is responsible for the WCW Monday Night war & beating WWF in ratings at points in time.