Author Topic: Ask Karl  (Read 259274 times)

ORGANIKARL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
Re: Ask Karl
« Reply #1500 on: November 15, 2013, 01:58:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Got a serious question this time.

Me and some homies are heading to miami in a few weeks, and i'm wondering if we should bring weed with us or buy it out there, as to avoid any checkpoints from texas to miami. what is your advice on the topic?

[close]
How gnarly are those checkpoints?
[close]

that was the question, like idk, have you traveled out east like that? whats the deal with road trips like that and having weed? is that safe?
I think it'll be all good. But Texas is a whole different animal.  Sometimes it just depends on the crew you have. If you decide to bring herb and you end up getting pulled over my advice to you is to just look the cop in the eyes and be very respectful and im sure you wont get searched. Good luck!

Harem

« Reply #1501 on: November 15, 2013, 07:16:31 AM »
Not a question, but I'm riding my first Organika board. Sorry it took so long Karl!

_aminal

• Rep: -8
  • win some, lose most.
« Reply #1502 on: November 15, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Me and some homies are heading to miami in a few weeks, and i'm wondering if we should bring weed with us or buy it out there, as to avoid any checkpoints from texas to miami. what is your advice on the topic?

[close]
[close]

that was the question, like idk, have you traveled out east like that? whats the deal with road trips like that and having weed? is that safe?

i personally haven't come across too many problems on the road with herb, but I'm not hot boxing down the 10 either.

Ed's impossibles are like gonzs kickflips....

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1503 on: November 15, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »
Not a question, but I'm riding my first Organika board. Sorry it took so long Karl!
Hell yeah! Which one are you riding? Better late than never  ;)

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1504 on: November 15, 2013, 04:58:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

i personally haven't come across too many problems on the road with herb, but I'm not hot boxing down the 10 either.
Dude your sig is too funny!!

Ndsr

• Rep: -7
« Reply #1505 on: November 15, 2013, 06:24:38 PM »
Karl your  nollie tricks have always been so good, when you jump the MEGA just get down with the nollie cab or just bring some of your ledge tricks rails they have going across those ski jumps

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1506 on: November 15, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »
Karl your  nollie tricks have always been so good, when you jump the MEGA just get down with the nollie cab or just bring some of your ledge tricks rails they have going across those ski jumps
Haha! Thanks. But I'll leave the MEGA up to the pro's  ;)

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1507 on: November 16, 2013, 09:17:47 AM »
Karl, it seems like a lot of Slap wants you to skate the Mega, have you ever been pressured by your peers to do something you didn't want to do or seen it happen to another skater perhaps by their team manager?

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1508 on: November 17, 2013, 07:34:53 AM »
Karl, it seems like a lot of Slap wants you to skate the Mega, have you ever been pressured by your peers to do something you didn't want to do or seen it happen to another skater perhaps by their team manager?
I sure have felt the pressure to jump on/down something I didn't want to. Sometimes its a good thing sometimes its not. Pushing your limits is always good im my opinion but when your skill level doesn't match up to what you're skating, the outcome can be bad. Ultimately a little coaxing is healthy and most skaters i've seen never over do it.
Back in middle school I was strongly peer pressured to stop skating. The brothas really didn't understand why I would do such an activity lol
How about you? Have you been pressured to do something you didn't want to?

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1509 on: November 17, 2013, 07:56:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I sure have felt the pressure to jump on/down something I didn't want to. Sometimes its a good thing sometimes its not. Pushing your limits is always good im my opinion but when your skill level doesn't match up to what you're skating, the outcome can be bad. Ultimately a little coaxing is healthy and most skaters i've seen never over do it.
Back in middle school I was strongly peer pressured to stop skating. The brothas really didn't understand why I would do such an activity lol
Ultimately the decision to do anything has been down to me so the pressure element can't be blamed if it turned out bad but if it turned out well I owe it to those who pushed me. Sometimes I wish there were more people pushing me when skating but again I can't blame anyone else but myself for kooking it when skating.

Do you think there is still a perception in the black community that skating is a white boy thing?

Have fun today Karl.

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1510 on: November 17, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Ultimately the decision to do anything has been down to me so the pressure element can't be blamed if it turned out bad but if it turned out well I owe it to those who pushed me. Sometimes I wish there were more people pushing me when skating but again I can't blame anyone else but myself for kooking it when skating.

Do you think there is still a perception in the black community that skating is a white boy thing?

Have fun today Karl.
Yes, very true.
Well, the "white boy" thing is still there but I think its been excepted more and more over the years. It never really effected my choice to continue to thrash but I've known dudes to quit skating over it. For some reason i've always know/felt that we're all one race THE HUMAN RACE so I'd just keep doing what i'd do.
Pretty stoked for today though. On an airplane coming back from Make-a-wish and get to celebrate my sons birthday when I get home. Stoked!

_aminal

• Rep: -8
  • win some, lose most.
« Reply #1511 on: November 17, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

thanks karl, I'm hoping kanye will catch a glimpse of it one day.

I've never been pressured to quit except by a shitty girlfriend of mine; what a cunt.

the niggas around me wouldn't pressure me to quit but they would call me white boy and talk shit or whatever, try and throw sticks and rocks in front of my path when I'm skating by. but i was lucky enough to roll with a crew of homies from different cultural backgrounds. this is early 2000s so skateboarding was pretty accepted though not desirable, but generally people thought of skateboarding as some extreme shit only some crazy ass white dude would do.

i wouldn't let someone pressure me into doing something i didn't wanna do unless i knew it was for my own benefit to give it a shot.
quitting skateboarding would not be for my own good.

Ed's impossibles are like gonzs kickflips....

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1512 on: November 17, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

thanks karl, I'm hoping kanye will catch a glimpse of it one day.

I've never been pressured to quit except by a shitty girlfriend of mine; what a cunt.

the niggas around me wouldn't pressure me to quit but they would call me white boy and talk shit or whatever, try and throw sticks and rocks in front of my path when I'm skating by. but i was lucky enough to roll with a crew of homies from different cultural backgrounds. this is early 2000s so skateboarding was pretty accepted though not desirable, but generally people thought of skateboarding as some extreme shit only some crazy ass white dude would do.

i wouldn't let someone pressure me into doing something i didn't wanna do unless i knew it was for my own benefit to give it a shot.
quitting skateboarding would not be for my own good.
Indeed! Being able to hangout with people from different cultural backgrounds is one of my favorite aspects of skateboarding. Truly opened my mind at a young age, as im sure it did for you  ;D Im glad you're still ripping, man!! Much respect for simply putting up with such things!

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #1513 on: November 17, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »
Karl, who was the shittiest person you've been teammates with? Why? Please give us a good story.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1515 on: December 09, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »
That board is mint as hell. Can't believe someone kept it in such good condition.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1516 on: December 09, 2013, 04:12:36 PM »
It's somebody from Spain.  They've been selling boards like crazy the last couple of months.  Gems.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/stanceskateboards/m.html?item=171187785964&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #1517 on: December 09, 2013, 04:13:46 PM »
It's somebody from Spain.  They've been selling boards like crazy the last couple of months.  Gems.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/stanceskateboards/m.html?item=171187785964&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

word, just looked at that page and DAMN is all i can sya
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #1518 on: December 09, 2013, 06:53:36 PM »
Karl, you once sold me a pair of Golden State Wheels and a pair of Sheep shoes for $20.00, just a reminder, that was a great deal and I loved the shoes.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #1519 on: December 09, 2013, 11:19:49 PM »
This Alien deck is sick. Almost looks like a painting.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1520 on: December 10, 2013, 01:18:39 PM »
Why is your name spelled with a 'C' on this board.  It's on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orginal-NOS-Think-Missing-Children/171187785964?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D13%26meid%3D3286605374235257918%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D1014%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D171187510755%26

Crazy that board is still selling. It came out in 91. Well, in those early years, people assumed my name began with a C. Have to admit, that used to really bum me out. Thanks for asking.

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1521 on: December 10, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »
Karl, you once sold me a pair of Golden State Wheels and a pair of Sheep shoes for $20.00, just a reminder, that was a great deal and I loved the shoes.

Haha! Rad!!  I loved Sheep shoes too. And thank you for buying that stuff back then. Im sure it really helped me at the time!

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #1522 on: December 10, 2013, 09:17:13 PM »
Karl, can you text Henry Sanchez right now and dare him to make another comeback like his Sight Unseen part? People caught him slipping by getting involved in arguments etc on these forums and facebook, so he needs to set the record straight!
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1523 on: December 11, 2013, 01:00:46 AM »
Karl, can you text Henry Sanchez right now and dare him to make another comeback like his Sight Unseen part? People caught him slipping by getting involved in arguments etc on these forums and facebook, so he needs to set the record straight!

That would be the right thing to do. We are a group of guys around here so stoked on that part, that fakie heel has been renamed Henry just because of that fakie heel fakie manual kick.

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #1524 on: December 11, 2013, 01:06:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That would be the right thing to do. We are a group of guys around here so stoked on that part, that fakie heel has been renamed Henry just because of that fakie heel fakie manual kick.

who gave you the authority to rename a trick? HUH?
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1525 on: December 12, 2013, 12:37:25 AM »
Haha I wish I could. But I do not have The Terminator's number.  Haven't spoken to Henry in a long time actually. But I'll tell you one thing, that dude was the master of figuring out how to do a new trick. I've seen him create over 20 tricks. And it usually would only take him a few hours to learn each trick. The dude is a great!  He's the guy that really helped Lavar become one of the best.

He and I have been through a LOT. We used to be roommates, we traveled to Europe together and got stuck in Germany and i've seen him beat people like no other. But at the end of the day I owe a lot to him. He has a really big heart!

How about I share a positive story about Sanch, aka, "The Terminator", with you guys.

One day, long long ago, I broke my finger. But not just any break.

As I thrashed away at EMB, at the wee age of 13, I tried a feeble grind on a train track that was placed down the stairs. It was early in the morning so I hadn't been warmed up. So I hopped on a feeble  and stuck. I started flying and one my fingers decided to land in between two  bricks.  Usually the concrete between the bricks would prevent breakage, but that place was so beat up and some chipped out. Anyway, my finger got stuck in between two bricks and broke.

I took the bus home and cried the whole way.  When I got home I threw my board in the garbage (like a little you know what) and pretty much denounced skating - so I thought... Since the garbage was taken out the next morning I lost that board and I didn't really care.

After about 2 months Henry came to my house, all by himself, and brought me his setup. That kind gesture from such a respected skater truly got me stoked on skating again.  Also, living in Tommy Guerrero's old apartment and receiving Rip Grip packages (with his name on them) every month helped the stoke. haha!

Love you for that, Henry
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 12:45:12 AM by ORGANIKARL »

Endless Toedrag

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1526 on: December 12, 2013, 07:40:16 AM »
Skating for me was always pretty inclusive.  When I started 20 years ago I was so stoked to see another person skating in my town that I'd immediately skate over and try and make friends.  I guess at that time I was too young to know there were any division of hip hop skaters and punkers or whatever.  I liked it all, yknow?  Skate videos were my soundtrack.  Gangstarr right into discharge, exploited into Pete rock, I mean it all made perfect sense to me: we were misfits on boards.  I wrote mad circle all over my backpack in school right next to "punx not dead"...I was an idiot, but it was cool as fuck.  Now when I skate (and probably because I'm an old turd now) it's weird to see the divisiveness.  Everyone's got their look, and being spoiled with skateparks they have the luxury to be "a tranny skater" or a "street skater".  I mean shit, I'd skate it all, and I still do.  

Aside from marketability: why do you think divisions (heshers, tech guys, etc) are so prevalent?  Is it just human nature to divide and categorize?  Are skaters not the ultra humans I thought they were?  Even organika has a niche (that I love and appreciate) but would you ever flow a heshed out tranny skater with an organika tiedye on or is defining your brand a better strategy than a super well rounded crew?

Also, the obligatory "what did you think of nyjahs part?"
Karl: you're the best.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 07:43:15 AM by Endless Toedrag »
There's a code that ya better know.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #1527 on: February 03, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
Karl, is it true that Satori is a weed front? Have they ever tried to pay you in weed?
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1528 on: February 03, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »
stand or sit/squat to wipe, karl?

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #1529 on: February 03, 2014, 11:22:09 PM »
Was that your choice to use "The Mollusk" for your 5 Flavors part?
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"