Author Topic: Ask Karl  (Read 259270 times)

ALZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Ask Karl
« Reply #1530 on: February 04, 2014, 12:02:22 AM »
Hi Karl,

I have two questions for you.

Please rescue Matt from the one-board-a-year medicority of Stereo. He needs to be on Organika  ;D

After Praxis, what shoes are you rocking now? I couldn't figure out what these were:

Really like the recent art stuff with Lotti & clothing line.

/ALZ

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #1531 on: February 04, 2014, 12:05:47 AM »
Karl, is it true that Satori is a weed front? Have they ever tried to pay you in weed?
Haha! Its not a weed front but while back  I did request to get paid in herb and they declined.

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1532 on: February 04, 2014, 12:06:45 AM »
stand or sit/squat to wipe, karl?
all of the above.

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1533 on: February 04, 2014, 12:11:31 AM »
Was that your choice to use "The Mollusk" for your 5 Flavors part?
In 1998 we went on a US tour with Mad Circle and New Deal. The dude who drove us around had the best music selection and one day on that long  journey I was woken up by the beautiful sounds of The Mollusk. Right then, still half asleep, I said "Im using THIS song for my part". So yes indeed that was my choice  ;D

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1534 on: February 04, 2014, 12:16:48 AM »
Hi Karl,

Please rescue Matt from the one-board-a-year medicority of Stereo. He needs to be on Organika  ;D

After Praxis, what shoes are you rocking now? I couldn't figure out what these were:

/ALZ

Thats whats up! Thank you man. Im so stoked on how the Lotti graphics turned out. And I'm happy you're feeling my clothing designs.
Matt Rod is the man, love that dude. I've mentioned it to him before but I guess he's happy where he is.
Im skating Adidas right now but theres something cool we're working on over at Kayo.

Thanks for the questions, dudes!

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #1535 on: February 04, 2014, 12:18:02 AM »
yo whatre your thoughts on aqua teen hunger force
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1536 on: February 04, 2014, 12:26:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Was that your choice to use "The Mollusk" for your 5 Flavors part?
[close]
In 1998 we went on a US tour with Mad Circle and New Deal. The dude who drove us around had the best music selection and one day on that long  journey I was woken up by the beautiful sounds of The Mollusk. Right then, still half asleep, I said "Im using THIS song for my part". So yes indeed that was my choice  ;D

That's soooo rad Karl & what a record that was.

Thank you taking the time to answer our nerdy/fan-out questions, it means a lot to me personally.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

dillanharp

« Reply #1537 on: February 04, 2014, 01:46:55 AM »
Karl, if you have any sway can you tell deluxe to make a 5.8 low?!

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #1538 on: February 04, 2014, 07:20:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
all of the above.

You might call it a waste of meditative concentration,
but wiping while in full lotus and levitating above the seat is impressive.

Karl Watson. Always innovating.
@idealhandmades

tech pwc

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1539 on: February 04, 2014, 07:52:14 PM »
Hi Karl,

/ALZ

Put matt Rod on already!

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #1540 on: February 04, 2014, 09:49:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Karl, is it true that Satori is a weed front? Have they ever tried to pay you in weed?
[close]
Haha! Its not a weed front but while back  I did request to get paid in herb and they declined.

I'm calling bullshit on this one.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

shark tits

« Reply #1541 on: February 04, 2014, 10:22:44 PM »
dear karl, back in 99 i was skating 3rd and army in green sweatpants w/ cornrows. i felt a little silly [about the hair, i'd been running sweats for at least a yr] and you told me 'nice hair'. i've got 2 questions, first were you making fun of me or did you really think i had nice hair? and second, i know i was after lennie kirk but do you think my attire started both the sweats and white boy cornrows trends? cause i've been claiming that as well as being the first to coin the term 'philly stairs' back in that pre-millenial era. ps i think you have nice hair and i liked those switch flip 5-0 180s you were doing.

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1542 on: February 04, 2014, 11:11:51 PM »
Karl, if you have any sway can you tell deluxe to make a 5.8 low?!
Haha! Sure, but they wouldn't listen to me.

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1543 on: February 04, 2014, 11:13:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
all of the above.
[close]

My man!! Was just thinking about you earlier. Hows the carpet cruiser company going? I love mine by the way!

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1544 on: February 04, 2014, 11:15:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I'm calling bullshit on this one.
Haha!! Cant put my man on blast like that  ;)

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1545 on: February 04, 2014, 11:21:21 PM »
dear karl, back in 99 i was skating 3rd and army in green sweatpants w/ cornrows. i felt a little silly [about the hair, i'd been running sweats for at least a yr] and you told me 'nice hair'. i've got 2 questions, first were you making fun of me or did you really think i had nice hair? and second, i know i was after lennie kirk but do you think my attire started both the sweats and white boy cornrows trends? cause i've been claiming that as well as being the first to coin the term 'philly stairs' back in that pre-millenial era. ps i think you have nice hair and i liked those switch flip 5-0 180s you were doing.
WOW! You brought it way back. If I told you I liked your hair I most definitely meant it. Especially the fact that you're a white dude with cornrows. I've always liked when people sway away from whats considered the norm for their "race". Hence me being a black skater.

That was a fun day and there were lots of folks there. I can't remember you too clearly but I do remember doing that trick. Also, WuWelsh created that steez, sorry  ;)

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1546 on: February 04, 2014, 11:33:24 PM »
Skating for me was always pretty inclusive.  When I started 20 years ago I was so stoked to see another person skating in my town that I'd immediately skate over and try and make friends.  I guess at that time I was too young to know there were any division of hip hop skaters and punkers or whatever.  I liked it all, yknow?  Skate videos were my soundtrack.  Gangstarr right into discharge, exploited into Pete rock, I mean it all made perfect sense to me: we were misfits on boards.  I wrote mad circle all over my backpack in school right next to "punx not dead"...I was an idiot, but it was cool as fuck.  Now when I skate (and probably because I'm an old turd now) it's weird to see the divisiveness.  Everyone's got their look, and being spoiled with skateparks they have the luxury to be "a tranny skater" or a "street skater".  I mean shit, I'd skate it all, and I still do.  

Aside from marketability: why do you think divisions (heshers, tech guys, etc) are so prevalent?  Is it just human nature to divide and categorize?  Are skaters not the ultra humans I thought they were?  Even organika has a niche (that I love and appreciate) but would you ever flow a heshed out tranny skater with an organika tiedye on or is defining your brand a better strategy than a super well rounded crew?

Also, the obligatory "what did you think of nyjahs part?"
Karl: you're the best.
Hey bro, my bad on missing your question/comment.
I can relate to everything you said, especially when skating wasn't so divided.  Back in the day coming across another skater was truly like seeing a long lost relative. And I most def tried to make friends with any and every skater. With Organika I try to focus on the dudes that know how to talk to the younger skaters and are good at it. Because they fuel skateboarding and without the novices our beautiful art form would face imminent death. So it has more to do with personality that image.
And I loved Nyjahs part  ;D

Berky

• Rep: -19
« Reply #1547 on: February 04, 2014, 11:39:52 PM »
Can you tell us if this footwear project is a brand or a collab with another brand?

pencil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1548 on: February 04, 2014, 11:40:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Skating for me was always pretty inclusive.  When I started 20 years ago I was so stoked to see another person skating in my town that I'd immediately skate over and try and make friends.  I guess at that time I was too young to know there were any division of hip hop skaters and punkers or whatever.  I liked it all, yknow?  Skate videos were my soundtrack.  Gangstarr right into discharge, exploited into Pete rock, I mean it all made perfect sense to me: we were misfits on boards.  I wrote mad circle all over my backpack in school right next to "punx not dead"...I was an idiot, but it was cool as fuck.  Now when I skate (and probably because I'm an old turd now) it's weird to see the divisiveness.  Everyone's got their look, and being spoiled with skateparks they have the luxury to be "a tranny skater" or a "street skater".  I mean shit, I'd skate it all, and I still do.  

Aside from marketability: why do you think divisions (heshers, tech guys, etc) are so prevalent?  Is it just human nature to divide and categorize?  Are skaters not the ultra humans I thought they were?  Even organika has a niche (that I love and appreciate) but would you ever flow a heshed out tranny skater with an organika tiedye on or is defining your brand a better strategy than a super well rounded crew?

[close]
I can relate to everything you said, especially when skating wasn't so divided.  Back in the day coming across another skater was truly like seeing a long lost relative. And I most def tried to make friends with any and every skater. With Organika I try to focus on the dudes that know how to talk to the younger skaters and are good at it. Because they fuel skateboarding and without the novices our beautiful art form would face imminent death. So it has more to do with personality that image.

you missed my question about aqua teen hunger force

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1549 on: February 05, 2014, 02:24:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
WOW! You brought it way back. If I told you I liked your hair I most definitely meant it. Especially the fact that you're a white dude with cornrows. I've always liked when people sway away from whats considered the norm for their "race". Hence me being a black skater.

That was a fun day and there were lots of folks there. I can't remember you too clearly but I do remember doing that trick. Also, WuWelsh created that steez, sorry  ;)
Not to be argumentative but sweatpants not withstanding wasn't Vinnie Ponte the OG white guy with cornrows in the skate game? I say this because I copied it circa 95.

shark tits

« Reply #1550 on: February 05, 2014, 05:30:53 AM »
you're right that 'new jack of the 90s' vinnie ponte did rock the sweats/cornrows combo but i can't be sure when. i think it was in the part he skated to AC/DC and maybe i didn't see it til later?

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #1551 on: February 05, 2014, 08:30:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
all of the above.
[close]

[close]
My man!! Was just thinking about you earlier. Hows the carpet cruiser company going? I love mine by the way!

Haha, glad you like yours, though Ideal isn't a carpet cruiser specific company (I make more regular decks than anything, but the carpet grip is a fun alternative here and there)
It wasn't going good for a while 'cause I was having problems getting re-stocked and then had a bunch of unforeseen life expenses, but that's changing real soon.
@idealhandmades

Balanced

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1552 on: February 05, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »
Karl that edit you put out a little awhile ago was great, switch back 180 grind that silver rail was so good, I like the music too.  I remember you mentioning in the past that one of the most impressive people you seen skate 3rd and army was PJ Ladd, Do you have any good PJ stories? You think he's going to come through for the Plan B video? Thanks G

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1553 on: February 06, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »
Can you tell us if this footwear project is a brand or a collab with another brand?
More like a collaboration  ;)

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1554 on: February 06, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

you missed my question about aqua teen hunger force
I like that show but I prefer South Park.

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1555 on: February 06, 2014, 09:44:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Not to be argumentative but sweatpants not withstanding wasn't Vinnie Ponte the OG white guy with cornrows in the skate game? I say this because I copied it circa 95.
You've got a point. I give it to Vinnie too.

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1556 on: February 06, 2014, 09:45:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
all of the above.
[close]

[close]
[close]

Haha, glad you like yours, though Ideal isn't a carpet cruiser specific company (I make more regular decks than anything, but the carpet grip is a fun alternative here and there)
It wasn't going good for a while 'cause I was having problems getting re-stocked and then had a bunch of unforeseen life expenses, but that's changing real soon.
Rad! Im glad things will be looking up for your business soon. You deserve it!

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1557 on: February 06, 2014, 09:50:58 AM »
Karl that edit you put out a little awhile ago was great, switch back 180 grind that silver rail was so good, I like the music too.  I remember you mentioning in the past that one of the most impressive people you seen skate 3rd and army was PJ Ladd, Do you have any good PJ stories? You think he's going to come through for the Plan B video? Thanks G
Hell yeah he's going to come through  ;D PJ is so rad.
Thanks for the love!!

No cool PJ stories aside from the fact that he and I dated the same girl back in the day haha

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1558 on: February 06, 2014, 09:59:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks for the love!!

No cool PJ stories aside from the fact that he and I dated the same girl back in the day haha
Uhhm... That sounds like an interesting story in itself. Who dated her first?

pencil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1559 on: February 06, 2014, 10:21:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks for the love!!

[close]
Uhhm... That sounds like an interesting story in itself. Who dated her first?

obviously PJ, cause once you go black you never go back