Author Topic: The Lakai Pledge  (Read 126622 times)

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: The Lakai Pledge
« Reply #450 on: December 24, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »
They look killer Randozzi. Excellent choice.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 643
« Reply #451 on: December 24, 2013, 12:51:45 PM »
I ordered a pair of the Belmont XLKs from 6pm as a Christmas present to myself. They're my first Lakais and I've wanted a pair after seeing MJ wear them in Pretty Sweet so I'm excited.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #452 on: December 24, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »
Made In China - Did you get the canvas or all suede Belmont? Either way I think you'll dig them. The toe box on the Belmont is a little bit wider than the other models.

I'm going to post up a pic of my current Lakai rotation later. I think I have a sickness when it comes to their shoes. I try A LOT of different shoes in a year's time, I have a lot of love for certain shoe brands, but this year no other shoe manu has come close to the Lakai XLK sole. And I mean NO company. It's the best on the market, bar none.

IanBZHD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #453 on: December 24, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »
Griffin or Howard?  ??? I can't decide!!!

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 643
« Reply #454 on: December 25, 2013, 01:48:03 AM »
Made In China - Did you get the canvas or all suede Belmont? Either way I think you'll dig them. The toe box on the Belmont is a little bit wider than the other models.

I'm going to post up a pic of my current Lakai rotation later. I think I have a sickness when it comes to their shoes. I try A LOT of different shoes in a year's time, I have a lot of love for certain shoe brands, but this year no other shoe manu has come close to the Lakai XLK sole. And I mean NO company. It's the best on the market, bar none.
Suede but it has a side that's some weird material that's not suede but not canvas either. I think it might be chambray?

silkyjohnson

« Reply #455 on: December 25, 2013, 05:07:21 AM »
Griffin or Howard?  ??? I can't decide!!!
Lakai Howard's skate awesome, super comfy and grippy can't really speak on the griffins though

micky682

« Reply #456 on: January 02, 2014, 01:41:49 PM »
Anyone know how I can contact Lakai about my Guy XLK's sole detaching. I've had a 2 pairs before and this had never happened before, so I think it was likely a defect.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 729
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #457 on: January 02, 2014, 01:59:59 PM »
I would try just emailing Crailtap if Lakai doesn't have a contact page.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #458 on: January 02, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
Anyone know how I can contact Lakai about my Guy XLK's sole detaching. I've had a 2 pairs before and this had never happened before, so I think it was likely a defect.

Just get some super glue and glue it.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 34
« Reply #459 on: January 02, 2014, 09:22:13 PM »
I had the same thing happen on my Guy XLKs in the same place and the with the same colourway, but it didn't make much of a difference or get any worse.

That said every so often I will get hold of a cupsole pair of Lakais where this happens even dating back to some Carroll 4s los that I bought off Lev down Southbank.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #460 on: January 04, 2014, 05:11:33 PM »
I had the same thing happen on my Guy XLKs in the same place and the with the same colourway, but it didn't make much of a difference or get any worse.

That said every so often I will get hold of a cupsole pair of Lakais where this happens even dating back to some Carroll 4s los that I bought off Lev down Southbank.

micky682

« Reply #461 on: January 05, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »
So I tried super gluing it back on, went skating after it finally started to stop snowing here in VA, but it the sole just started to detach more and more. Could the glue not have been strong enough?

GY

« Reply #462 on: January 05, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »
Thinking of getting the Manc Leans or the Vincents, any heads up on those? Both look rad

Randozzi

« Reply #463 on: January 05, 2014, 10:11:29 AM »
The Vincents have thicker soles. So if you want more board-feel, go with the leans.

GY

« Reply #464 on: January 05, 2014, 10:22:56 AM »
The Vincents have thicker soles. So if you want more board-feel, go with the leans.

Slightly cheaper too. I like the look of the Vincents, but they do seem thicker. Thanks for the heads up

Randozzi

« Reply #465 on: January 05, 2014, 10:34:34 AM »
Skating the Vincents right now and they feel pretty perfect. Haven't skated the leans but they look like fun too.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #466 on: January 05, 2014, 10:47:24 AM »
Skating the Vincents right now
Same. I will say I am impressed at how well they are holding up.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #467 on: January 05, 2014, 01:51:20 PM »
So I tried super gluing it back on, went skating after it finally started to stop snowing here in VA, but it the sole just started to detach more and more. Could the glue not have been strong enough?

it's a fucking defect. email them.the end.

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #468 on: January 07, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »
Did anybody who got the black on black Vincents find them a little harder to break in than the white soled ones?  This is my third pair of Vincents but first with the black sole.  I figure it could be the colder weather or just some variance in the materials but they took about 5x as long to feel right.

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #469 on: January 07, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »
I'm about to start breaking in the Chocolate edit. of the Lindens right after the snow clears up --- sooo hyped.

I also received the Mariano (vulc) and the Griffin as a gift from my brother for Christmas. I'm anticipating skating both during the upcoming spring months.
I'm actually surprised at how incredible the Mariano feels out of the box. These shoes are definitely being overshadowed by the Guy XLK that are out now, but I feel like these are definitely a great minimalistic straightforward vulc shoe that's loaded with comfort and flex out of the box. The insoles are the same blue PU foam that's in shoes like the Pico. In short, they feel a lot better than they look (since the minimal look has flooded the market for the past couple years). However, I am quite partial to a simpler shoe.

I thought I'd like the Griffins more, but the Mariano just feels comfortable and secure before even lacing them up. The Griffins definitely feel a bit heavier due to their sole and the actual opening to the shoe (I believe people refer to this area as the "throat," but that just seems a bit weird right now) just feels a lot less secure and more prone to ankle rolls.

pictures:

nylin

« Reply #470 on: January 07, 2014, 07:34:32 PM »
Did anybody who got the black on black Vincents find them a little harder to break in than the white soled ones?� This is my third pair of Vincents but first with the black sole.� I figure it could be the colder weather or just some variance in the materials but they took about 5x as long to feel right.

My black/black vincents seemed like they are taking longer to break in than others I've had but I just popped em in the microwave and they were good to go.

Berky

• Rep: -19
« Reply #471 on: January 07, 2014, 07:40:40 PM »
Just got my brea and howards in the mail today from 6pm.com shit was a good deal got both for $43. Cant wait to skate them the howards look like the shit.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2014, 04:52:42 AM »
I thought I'd like the Griffins more, but the Mariano just feels comfortable and secure before even lacing them up. The Griffins definitely feel a bit heavier due to their sole and the actual opening to the shoe (I believe people refer to this area as the "throat," but that just seems a bit weird right now) just feels a lot less secure and more prone to ankle rolls.

That's really the only thing I don't like about the Griffin, in comparison with the Howard. The opening on the Griffin seems really big to me and the depth of the shoe is pretty shallow, so it leaves a lot of you ankle exposed. IMO, there is hardly anything around the ankle area at all. Where the Howard wraps around your foot and ankle and feels like it's giving a little bit of support. I still wear the Griffin to chill, but they don't get any skate.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2543
« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2014, 05:30:51 AM »

I emailed Lakai a few years back (with photos) when my Lucas' got a hole on the side from just walking around for a couple of days while I was breaking them in. Never got a response.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

micky682

« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2014, 10:35:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I emailed Lakai a few years back (with photos) when my Lucas' got a hole on the side from just walking around for a couple of days while I was breaking them in. Never got a response.
I called Crailtap about the delayed response, they said they had last week of b/c of the holidays and this week off too b/c of Agenda. Hopefully I can get a response next week, until then I'm skating another old used pair of Guy XLK. 2 months and the shoe is still skateable, Lakai is too good.

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #475 on: January 08, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's really the only thing I don't like about the Griffin, in comparison with the Howard. The opening on the Griffin seems really big to me and the depth of the shoe is pretty shallow, so it leaves a lot of you ankle exposed. IMO, there is hardly anything around the ankle area at all. Where the Howard wraps around your foot and ankle and feels like it's giving a little bit of support. I still wear the Griffin to chill, but they don't get any skate.
Precisely my stance on them. There's a certain level of foot conformity with a lot of Lakai shoes right now --- as you mentioned with the snugness and secure feeling of the Howard.
Need be, I'd just use them as chillers too. They still look great and all.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #476 on: January 19, 2014, 05:06:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How many models is the XLK sole on? In addition to my Howards I want to add something else.
[close]
Several: Pico XLK, Linden, Telford, BB3, Guy XLK, etc.
The Howard shoe really seems to be the thinnest of all of the XLK shoes though.
[close]

howard and pico xlk feel similar thickness to me. the pico xlk is my go-to. if anything id say the guy xlk feels the thinnest, but you really cant go wrong with anything xlk. probably already said this ten times in this thread but I cant wait for the BB4. gonna be the perfect shoe

Chillout/Kinch/Randozzi and anyone that has skated the Guy XLK - I'm about to jump on a pair and I keep reading that it's a "stable" shoe in the heel and ankle area. I'm not expecting them to give me a ton of ankle support (well, none judging by the design) I'm just curious what is meant by that. And in your opinion are they cut around the ankle similar to the Howard Lo? Thanks guys.

Randozzi

« Reply #477 on: January 20, 2014, 02:30:11 PM »
I think by stable they mean your foot doesn't move and it feels solid.
Haven't skated the Howard lows so I can't comment on any comparison but the Guys are pretty damn good if you like a thin cupsole.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #478 on: January 20, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How many models is the XLK sole on? In addition to my Howards I want to add something else.
[close]
Several: Pico XLK, Linden, Telford, BB3, Guy XLK, etc.
The Howard shoe really seems to be the thinnest of all of the XLK shoes though.
[close]

howard and pico xlk feel similar thickness to me. the pico xlk is my go-to. if anything id say the guy xlk feels the thinnest, but you really cant go wrong with anything xlk. probably already said this ten times in this thread but I cant wait for the BB4. gonna be the perfect shoe
[close]

Chillout/Kinch/Randozzi and anyone that has skated the Guy XLK - I'm about to jump on a pair and I keep reading that it's a "stable" shoe in the heel and ankle area. I'm not expecting them to give me a ton of ankle support (well, none judging by the design) I'm just curious what is meant by that. And in your opinion are they cut around the ankle similar to the Howard Lo? Thanks guys.

yeah id say the stability is in how they lock your foot in. for me the howard low had the most ankle stability ive ever had in a low-top, but I found the guy xlk to be more comfy around the ankle due to the ankle having less material. my favorite of the three is still the pico xlk though

Randozzi

« Reply #479 on: January 20, 2014, 02:54:16 PM »
about to start skating another pair (3rd i think) of Pico XLKs, damn good shoe.