Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 388116 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #3300 on: April 25, 2024, 10:01:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
He’s baaa,ack…

[close]
Fred Armisen's Robert Durst in Kimmy Schmidt is forever etched in my mind. I've copied his "bye bye' for years.
[close]

I did a rewatch of S1 and I forgot he did Durst on SNL all the way back when he got off for chopping up the guy in Texas
[close]
Oh I think I totally missed that. Thanks!

I forgot about it too and was thinking “why does this seem so familiar but I don’t remember it” and it’s because I forgot he did Durst in Kimmy Schmidt as well

Just want to say, Baby Reindeer and Shogun are the clear cut shows (mini-series) of the year.     

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3301 on: April 25, 2024, 02:35:11 PM »
Them Season 2 (each season is different) is kinda hitting the spot if you’re in the mood for a serial killer/possibly more type of show

Season 1 is a different genre and, to me, was a little too heavily indebted to Jordan Peele/Get Out (ie elevated horror of racism), but maybe it’s better in retrospect

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #3302 on: April 25, 2024, 05:53:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Already been covered it seems but I am loving Fallout as well. Have about an episode and a half left. Didn't know Christopher Nolan's brother was directing it, makes sense now.

The whole show is pretty great. From cinematography to writing. It's a really funny show that also has great plot points that have me hooked. And as someone who can't stand crappy CGI, the CGI in the show is really top notch. Great to see another good video game adaptation as I anxiously await the return of The Last of Us.
[close]

I think it’s much better than Last of Us bc LoU is so slavish to the source material that it just feels like a series of cutscene.   Fallout is truly a new tale and a clever adaptation of the source material thst it changes tonally.  Borderlands movie coming this Fall is shaking in its boots about the precedent set and that they won’t be able to skate by being a a guardians of the galaxy rip-off

I’m actually a little surprised Jonathan Nolan is handling the comedy so well.  Westworld and and that other Prime show he did are so serious and so full of “big” ideas that I’m surprised this show is allowed to be as weird as it is, but then I remember one of Christopher’s favorite movies is MacGruber, so I know that family has actual taste
I had a whole paragraph written explaining why you are right, but to make it easier I will try to keep it short. (Didn't do a good job of keeping it short).

You're right. LOU is the same as the game. But to me it's an amazing adaptation for an audience of people who would never play the game to see the story in the first place. There isn't as much wiggle room because TLOU is about those two people. But I really admire what they can do with it as a show in terms of cinematography, editing/music to make you really feel that story.

Fallout is way more work and they fucking nailed it. It has the wiggle room to be a totally different story, but to also nail the feeling and bizarrnes of the series is not an easy task at all and they absolutely did just that. I've only played a couple hours of New Vegas because I didn't play as broad of a genre of games until I got a pc but even without playing it, I know the weirdness that is Fallout and admire it. For the show to hit that tone so well, be so funny and so compelling is nothing short of outstanding. I absolutely love everything about the show, the fact that they don't shy away from the gore, that they have incredible action scenes, and keep it weird in every way to the point of having gameplay mechanic references and such a great story/characters/drama is awesome. I didn't pay any attention to the show being made really until I saw that trailer, and I was like oh shit, this is exactly the kind of tone I like in a movie/show, hopefully they can do a decent job of that when I watch it. It exceeded all expectations and really is an awesome series that puts a lot of the wasts of time out there to shame. Shows/movies that are this well done are so rare, it's just flat out amazing.

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
« Reply #3303 on: April 25, 2024, 06:07:24 PM »
Been watxhunf tokyo vice as per the recs on here, thabk you!

Great show, i spent time in asia in that era and it really takes me back, thry got the period so perfect. Best show ive seen in a long time.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #3304 on: April 25, 2024, 06:56:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's Hulu but

Is anyone watching shogun? I wanna go to Japan so badly.

I wanna snowboard indoors. I wanna stay for a month or two.
[close]

I want to be honor bound to negotiate the services of the countries best sexual courtesan for the person I love
[close]

Terrible.

Yeah it's ugly af. The art is on point tho. I love the clothes. The sets. The scenery. I wanna go to the Northernmost point of Japan and paint it.
I wanna go to that janky butt thermometer bowl/ tape worm quarter pipe park. It's on that island. I think it for livestock tho
[close]

Tokyo Vice is another good one if you want a modern Japan series.   It just finished up after 2 seasons
[close]

I enjoyed both seasons...hope they get a season 3

Shogun, will probably go down as one of my all time favorites tv shows...soo many good film shots, sets, and costume designs.   

Both shows have the main Japanese characters for the last samurai which is kinda dope
[close]

I hope TV gets a season 3 too, but I would be surprised as it seems expensive and it feels like they wrapped it up.   However, I would def recommend the book by the real Jake Adelstein. 

Shogun creative team is apparently behind the upcoming Blade Runner 2099 show coming later this year.   They said there’s no chance for a Shogun season 2 unless someone writes a book for it.   They don’t have the time or capacity to do the amount of research needed to do more
[close]

uh, pick some classic samourai tropes and add a white guy to the mix? should about do it.

not to say i don't enjoy it.
[close]

I’m just quoting them.   Outside of the Leftovers, I don’t think any series has successfully tacked onto the one season worth of source material they’ve been given.
[close]

oh I figured you were, wasn't trying to call you out in any way. It was just a little bedtime glibness directed at white exceptionalism. I actually am enjoying the show.

The book is loosely based on a true story, i.e. that englishman turned japanese nobleman was real. Ofc the book was from the seventies and full of weird racial shit. There are whole sections about how big the white guys dick is lol.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3305 on: April 25, 2024, 07:50:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's Hulu but

Is anyone watching shogun? I wanna go to Japan so badly.

I wanna snowboard indoors. I wanna stay for a month or two.
[close]

I want to be honor bound to negotiate the services of the countries best sexual courtesan for the person I love
[close]

Terrible.

Yeah it's ugly af. The art is on point tho. I love the clothes. The sets. The scenery. I wanna go to the Northernmost point of Japan and paint it.
I wanna go to that janky butt thermometer bowl/ tape worm quarter pipe park. It's on that island. I think it for livestock tho
[close]

Tokyo Vice is another good one if you want a modern Japan series.   It just finished up after 2 seasons
[close]

I enjoyed both seasons...hope they get a season 3

Shogun, will probably go down as one of my all time favorites tv shows...soo many good film shots, sets, and costume designs.   

Both shows have the main Japanese characters for the last samurai which is kinda dope
[close]

I hope TV gets a season 3 too, but I would be surprised as it seems expensive and it feels like they wrapped it up.   However, I would def recommend the book by the real Jake Adelstein. 

Shogun creative team is apparently behind the upcoming Blade Runner 2099 show coming later this year.   They said there’s no chance for a Shogun season 2 unless someone writes a book for it.   They don’t have the time or capacity to do the amount of research needed to do more
[close]

uh, pick some classic samourai tropes and add a white guy to the mix? should about do it.

not to say i don't enjoy it.
[close]

I’m just quoting them.   Outside of the Leftovers, I don’t think any series has successfully tacked onto the one season worth of source material they’ve been given.
[close]

oh I figured you were, wasn't trying to call you out in any way. It was just a little bedtime glibness directed at white exceptionalism. I actually am enjoying the show.
[close]

The book is loosely based on a true story, i.e. that englishman turned japanese nobleman was real. Ofc the book was from the seventies and full of weird racial shit. There are whole sections about how big the white guys dick is lol.

But as we were told in the finale: the white guy was just there to be a distraction.   

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #3306 on: April 27, 2024, 05:57:07 PM »
Beverly Hills Cop. God I fuckin love that movie

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #3307 on: April 27, 2024, 06:14:11 PM »

Great movie, I got a soft spot for Judge reinhold in those flicks.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Gumption

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3308 on: April 28, 2024, 02:35:52 PM »
Was already mentioned, but “The Gentlemen” was great. Only show I have rewatched in recent years, because its basically just a longer Guy Ritchie film

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3309 on: April 28, 2024, 04:15:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I also love Beverly Hills Cop. It's a perfect balance of funny and a genuine life or death action movie. It's still genuinely upsetting when they put that one dudes head out in the beginning of the movie. Midnight Run is another great one by Martin Brest that is funny but harrowing. 48 Hours is also a good one, depending on how you feel about some salty racist cop language.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3310 on: April 28, 2024, 05:55:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I also love Beverly Hills Cop. It's a perfect balance of funny and a genuine life or death action movie. It's still genuinely upsetting when they put that one dudes head out in the beginning of the movie. Midnight Run is another great one by Martin Brest that is funny but harrowing. 48 Hours is also a good one, depending on how you feel about some salty racist cop language.

The funniest thing in 48 hrs is the racist ass cowboy honky tonk that is in the middle of San Francisco.

Also, just to ruin everyone’s BHC moods, be warned Eddie’s got a new one (maybe just called Axel Foley) coming out this year

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3311 on: April 28, 2024, 06:04:38 PM »
Fallout. Hell fuckin yes. I need more immediately
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 440
« Reply #3312 on: April 29, 2024, 06:04:48 AM »
Ripley is glorious, like an 8 hour vacation in Fellini-era Italy with a creepy American tour guide

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
« Reply #3313 on: April 29, 2024, 06:38:02 PM »
Ripley is glorious, like an 8 hour vacation in Fellini-era Italy with a creepy American tour guide

I couldn't get into it, even though i wanted to. Just out of curiosity, have you seen the american friend or the malkovich one? i feel like maybe they ruined me for other highsmth productions, i need that quirkiness and this seemed bleak without it.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 440
« Reply #3314 on: April 29, 2024, 07:51:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I couldn't get into it, even though i wanted to. Just out of curiosity, have you seen the american friend or the malkovich one? i feel like maybe they ruined me for other highsmth productions, i need that quirkiness and this seemed bleak without it.

I'm a huge fan of all things Ripley, have read all the books and watched all the adaptations and this is my favourite I think. I really appreciated the slow pace and Andrew Scott is just fabulous in my opinion. To each their own I guess!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3315 on: April 29, 2024, 08:00:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm a huge fan of all things Ripley, have read all the books and watched all the adaptations and this is my favourite I think. I really appreciated the slow pace and Andrew Scott is just fabulous in my opinion. To each their own I guess!

Dickie looks like Christopher Nolan