Author Topic: Dill/Ave heading up new board company through VF corp?  (Read 30407 times)

JPCanada

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Dill/Ave heading up new board company through VF corp?
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:44:44 AM »
As we all know by now, Dyrdek is moving the entire DNA operation from Dayton to Southern California and entering a partnership with the Anthem Media Group (responsible for Metal Mullisha amongst other brands).  Furthermore, he seems focused on increasing the range of consumer goods that will be branded as Alien Workshop products.  To top it all off, he only offered current DNA employees a 12% pay raise to move from Ohio to California, hardly enough to cover the increased cost of living.  Safe to say, not many of the long tenured DNA employees will be making the move.

In turn, the rumor mill is churning and there has been word of a possible Dill/Ave headed brand to be backed financially by the VF Corp (Vans).

As much as I can't imagine Dill and Ave ever leaving The Workshop, none of the aforementioned points seem to be in line with anything those dudes have ever been perceived to believe in.  Heck, maybe they both just cherish Dyrdek that much, or maybe they've been promised they'll be "raking it in" once the various consumer goods hit the shelves. 

How do you guys see this playing out?  Can you imagine a scenario where they take most of the entire team? Or merge the best dudes from Workshop with Habitat?

P.S.  Kind of ironic, this all would have been right up Berra's alley.

A.J.K.

Re: Dill/Ave heading up new board company through VF corp?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »
Leaving the Dyrdek empire for another, bigger corporation doesn't make any sense. 

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 10:22:01 AM »
they don't care

The Donger

• Rep: -63
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 10:27:22 AM »
They should bring back Seek

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »
Another milestone in rob dyrdek's mission to make skateboarding gay

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

ohhyess

• Rep: -43
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
Do you guys even remember Seek? It really wasn't that cool. Foily paint. Leftover whatever AWS graphics. Greg Myers.

Laban Fetus

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 11:22:23 AM »
So fucking lame. Hearing Dill spill his heart out about how much he loves the Workshop in all these interviews this week and then shit like this happening is a tad bit disappointing. At least Burton knew how to fuck off and just leave the graphics/ideas as they are...

I can't wait for the Alien Workshop Pizza Burritos and action figure chain though.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »
I could fuck with an AWS Broom and dustpan..

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »
Doubt this would happen. Don't want to bash on the two but they don't seem responsible to even head a new board company. Plus even when AWS was under Burton, Dill didn't mind and actually backed it. I remember him saying in some interview that AWS is practically the same still.

But if it does, I would imagine Dylan going wherever they go.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
"downriver" might be a legit name for it.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »
I highly doubt this would happen.

ruiner2

• Rep: -25
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »
doubt it would happen too but i'd like to see it happen.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 12:48:55 PM »
BULLSHIT.  the key words being "RUMOR MILL".  those guys both have it pretty damn good with Alien Workshop/DNA, etc...
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

shit_for_brains

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »
They're already acting heads of a brand they clearly love. Get it together holmes.

skateordie

• Rep: -40
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »
DAVE Skateboards. sounds fantastic.

HairyCunt

• Rep: -348
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
As we all know by now, Dyrdek is moving the entire DNA operation from Dayton to Southern California and entering a partnership with the Anthem Media Group (responsible for Metal Mullisha amongst other brands).  Furthermore, he seems focused on increasing the range of consumer goods that will be branded as Alien Workshop products.  To top it all off, he only offered current DNA employees a 12% pay raise to move from Ohio to California, hardly enough to cover the increased cost of living.  Safe to say, not many of the long tenured DNA employees will be making the move.

In turn, the rumor mill is churning and there has been word of a possible Dill/Ave headed brand to be backed financially by the VF Corp (Vans).

As much as I can't imagine Dill and Ave ever leaving The Workshop, none of the aforementioned points seem to be in line with anything those dudes have ever been perceived to believe in.  Heck, maybe they both just cherish Dyrdek that much, or maybe they've been promised they'll be "raking it in" once the various consumer goods hit the shelves. 

How do you guys see this playing out?  Can you imagine a scenario where they take most of the entire team? Or merge the best dudes from Workshop with Habitat?

P.S.  Kind of ironic, this all would have been right up Berra's alley.

I think they're calling it Pro-gram.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 02:58:04 PM »
I wouldnt mind seeing dill and ave leave. they do seem to be a kind of a lynchpin for the team but i would like to see that initial scary moment happen to dna. then let the kids figure out what alien workshop should be. Dill/ave's perspective is cool but not necessary. Let em get on chocolate or girl or do their own company somewhere. And take dylan with you. I kinda want this generation of workshop to be built around gilbert jake and grant, they have the best philosophys in skateboarding right now. Get dave ackles for art direction and some other ohio guys and other buttfuck nowhere locals on and itll pretty much be one of the best eras of the company. Turn away from both coasts and focus on nowhere.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:02:01 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

zoltan

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »
AVE  = Batman
DILL = Robin

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 04:11:18 PM »
I wouldnt mind seeing dill and ave leave. they do seem to be a kind of a lynchpin for the team but i would like to see that initial scary moment happen to dna. then let the kids figure out what alien workshop should be. Dill/ave's perspective is cool but not necessary. Let em get on chocolate or girl or do their own company somewhere. And take dylan with you. I kinda want this generation of workshop to be built around gilbert jake and grant, they have the best philosophys in skateboarding right now. Get dave ackles for art direction and some other ohio guys and other buttfuck nowhere locals on and itll pretty much be one of the best eras of the company. Turn away from both coasts and focus on nowhere.

Turn away from both coasts, yet build it around two dudes from the East coast?

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »
Jake is focusing on skating places other than new york now and making that his focus and gilbert is from virgina? i dont consider that "east coast". Its more southern if anything. "East coast" is more associated with the new england area and the tri-state than anything else.  Also, id like to see jake getting more creative control over the company.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:20:48 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1616
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 05:35:35 PM »
BULLSHIT.  the key words being "RUMOR MILL".  those guys both have it pretty damn good with Alien Workshop/DNA, etc...

thanks davesteeve
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

SockCucker

• Rep: -11
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »
12% pay increase doesnt sound too bad. minimum wage for ohio is 7.70 and ca is 8.00. at leats theyre not living in ohio

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »
You can't afford shit on that pay increase California is just too expensive dumb move

crobar

• Rep: 26
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 07:29:08 PM »
Do you guys even remember Seek? It really wasn't that cool. Foily paint. Leftover whatever AWS graphics. Greg Myers.

haha

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 07:30:02 PM »
Jake is focusing on skating places other than new york now and making that his focus and gilbert is from virgina? i dont consider that "east coast". Its more southern if anything. "East coast" is more associated with the new england area and the tri-state than anything else.  Also, id like to see jake getting more creative control over the company.

I'll trust you, but only because I think Lenny Kirk knows the Workshop better than I do.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »
I mean its just what id like to see happen, not saying it would. if it did it'd probably have to be after the next workshop video when ave and dill would retire instead of leaving. Which is nicer i suppose. I just like the idea of a company this big burning itself to the ground to start something new and a little unusual. Itd be difficult to lose two more legacy guys and then have to tell dylan and the other cali guys like mikey and piscopo to fuck off. They did it to bo turner tho and let kalis walk off and they had the balls to fire neil blender and don pendleton so it's not impossible. Not sure how down dyrdek would be about this though since he owns the company now. Whatever, i guess, its just a hypothetical.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:00:32 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 10:09:02 PM »
Also, id like to see jake getting more creative control over the company.

I completely agree, but not right now.  There's no need to rush into the future.  But, Jake is one of the illest and smartest dudes to ever be on Alien Workshop.  It's gonna be awesome when he's the Dill/Ave of the team (hopefully he stays there and continues the legacy of it).
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

Hammersleycinema

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »
Get dave ackles for art direction and some other ohio guys and other buttfuck nowhere locals on and itll pretty much be one of the best eras of the company. Turn away from both coasts and focus on nowhere.

The bold move can be the right move, but this is the skateboard industry.  Alien's edge is gone to me, and once nostalgia is gone maybe people will break away to start something fresh.  Or stay for the check, whatever, I'm not buying the boards.

asakusa75

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2012, 06:12:09 AM »
If my "Dylan Late Night Snuggle" Workshop  pyjamas don't come in the mail soon I am going to kill somebody. True story.