Author Topic: Wheelbase on your trucks  (Read 40491 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: WB on your trucks
« Reply #240 on: September 13, 2021, 08:16:58 PM »
Question time, wondering if someone could help me.

I have Thunder 148 Hollow Lights

What what the difference be between those and

Venture 5.6 Hollow Lights

Measurements and response wise?

And is Indy 144s Forged Hollow +3.1875?

In general for 139/147/5.2 to 144/148/5.6, stuff gets weird above 8.5":
Indy Standard / Hollow - +3.0"
Indy Forged - +3.125"
Thunder Team / Team Hollow - +3.125"
Thunder Lights / Hollow Lights - +3.25"
Venture Standard - +3.25"
Venture Lights / Hollow / Titanium - +3.4 - 3.5"

@Mbrimson88 is right about the height - I went up in truck height and wheel size simultanously and my grinds were negatively impacted.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ziad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2021, 08:44:52 PM »
im riding venture 6.1 right now great trucks but i like riding them loose so i had to change the bushing to soft bones and soon trying dohdohs
also im on 14.5 wheelbase curious to skate the deluxe 14.12 shape

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2021, 05:43:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Question time, wondering if someone could help me.

I have Thunder 148 Hollow Lights

What what the difference be between those and

Venture 5.6 Hollow Lights

Measurements and response wise?

And is Indy 144s Forged Hollow +3.1875?
[close]

In general for 139/147/5.2 to 144/148/5.6, stuff gets weird above 8.5":
Indy Standard / Hollow - +3.0"
Indy Forged - +3.125"
Thunder Team / Team Hollow - +3.125"
Thunder Lights / Hollow Lights - +3.25"
Venture Standard - +3.25"
Venture Lights / Hollow / Titanium - +3.4 - 3.5"

@Mbrimson88 is right about the height - I went up in truck height and wheel size simultanously and my grinds were negatively impacted.

I feel these measurements are not in the first post and should be? Or was I blind haha?

That's to you 3 blokes who responded with your in depth response. It's muchly appreciated.

Seems like I'm best on staying what I have. Light and I just skate small ledges and flatground. I asked about the Indys as I've skated them too. Which work on some decks.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2021, 05:43:54 PM »

I feel these measurements are not in the first post and should be? Or was I blind haha?

That's to you 3 blokes who responded with your in depth response. It's muchly appreciated.

Seems like I'm best on staying what I have. Light and I just skate small ledges and flatground. I asked about the Indys as I've skated them too. Which work on some decks.

I get what you are saying though (which is why I didn't want to reply right away).

The most confusing thing is the "list of wb" looks like it is more for specific widths, which could confuse people if they were looking for an 8.25 width truck and the only thing shown was 8 or 8.5 in whatever individual truck measurement scale.

The only truck with slight differences being Thunder trucks as the 143, 145 and 147 are lower (51mm), the 148, 149 and 151 are more mid (52mm) and the 161 are slightly taller (53mm but still not overly tall) so that gives an ever so slightly different wheelbase.

Everything else is the same height through all their various sizes eg Indy 139 is the same as 144, 149, 159, etc.

Forged baseplates being pretty much all 1.5mm lower than cast baseplates.

The other thing being the swapping of hangers between different trucks, regardless of them being regular, hollow or titanium, they still add up to the same as the profile of the hangers are the same between different trucks of the same brand.

So if the listing has a hollow forged 144 that someone has measured to be one thing and then someone else measures a hollow forged 169 and has a different result, it is due to human error, or differences in bushings or wear, not differences in the trucks from their "as new" condition.

It would be good to have a bit more clarity on the first post, maybe even two lists, one alphabetised and the other by number from lowest to highest.

I don't want to take over, but I guess I could do something similar to the woodshop thread for you to update the first post.  At least it wouldn't really need to have continual updates though as these things don't change.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2021, 09:21:39 PM »
I am super confused on the actual WB of Films and that thread doesn't help, anyone have insight?

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 62
« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2021, 09:59:07 PM »
I am super confused on the actual WB of Films and that thread doesn't help, anyone have insight?

The first version (6-hole baseplate) was somewhere between Ace and Indy, can confirm this from subjective experience. The newer version (4h bp) is apparently pretty much on par with Indy, but haven't ridden those myself.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #246 on: September 15, 2021, 07:16:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The first version (6-hole baseplate) was somewhere between Ace and Indy, can confirm this from subjective experience. The newer version (4h bp) is apparently pretty much on par with Indy, but haven't ridden those myself.

I just dm’d Film inquiring about this new design and how it affected the wheelbase. Without going into any details I was told “they are more like a Indy”. Do with that info what you will, I am getting a set a 5.25 raws today and I will take a measurement on them to try and figure out where they are now.

baustin

« Reply #247 on: September 15, 2021, 10:49:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I just dm’d Film inquiring about this new design and how it affected the wheelbase. Without going into any details I was told “they are more like a Indy”. Do with that info what you will, I am getting a set a 5.25 raws today and I will take a measurement on them to try and figure out where they are now.

Edit: they actually ended up sending me 5.5s but I figured close enough and set them up. These are adding exactly 3” to my wheelbase from my measurements. So yes it seems like Films have a comparable wheelbase to Indy now.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #248 on: September 17, 2021, 11:29:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm skating the 4h bp and boy I love them but it made me think sth. The axle on those 5.5 = 8.375 but the 6h bp 5.5 are listed here as 8.25. Can't remember from where it came that info, can somebody confirm?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 12:30:03 AM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #249 on: September 18, 2021, 12:37:37 AM »
Anyone know the WB adjustment on Tensor Alum 8.25? Skatewarehouse has the Zered Basset model on sale, and the dude still rips hard.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Cgoertz

• Rep: 1
« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2021, 02:07:26 AM »
Hi, I just measured my 1 month old Tensor Alloys 5.25 Regulars (8" width, 52mm height).

They add 75mm to the wheelbase, which converts to 2.95" so I guess that should be a straight 3" if you consider my highly scientific measuring process.

Cgoertz

• Rep: 1
« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2021, 02:18:08 AM »
I can also confirm that brand new Indy 144 Standard Forged Titaniums are still at +3" wheelbase.

And Tensor Magnesium Light TENs 5.5" (8.25" width and 55mm height) are +75mm wheelbase so actually the same +2.95" just as the Tensor Alloys.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #252 on: November 01, 2021, 01:25:37 PM »
Just remeasured all my trucks out of boredom:

Polster Titanium 5.85, Indy bushings: +3.27
Thunder Titanium 148, Indy bushings and kinda fucked pivot cups: +3.18
Ace AF1 44: +2.95
Mini Logo 8.38: +2.85

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #253 on: November 10, 2021, 12:36:29 AM »
Will an inverted kingpin change the height/WB on a truck? I guess the answer is "depends", but in the case of Film, just removing a couple of baseplate hole lengthened them. Who would have thought!?

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #254 on: November 19, 2021, 03:43:34 AM »
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why would the wheelbase be different between two trucks of the same brand just because one has a forged baseplate and the other cast? Wouldn't that just make the truck lower?

Skibb

• Rep: 68
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #255 on: November 19, 2021, 04:39:52 AM »
Expand Quote
These reviews are getting me excited! Thanks to every one of you! But who’s got the wheelbase measurement?
[close]

Polar board - 14.5wb
with Lurpivs on - 17.25
so about +2.75

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #256 on: December 27, 2021, 10:50:39 AM »
I'm getting +3.05 on the new royal 144 IKP.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2022, 09:49:05 AM »
I'm getting +3.05 on the new royal 144 IKP.

I'm getting +2.9375 on the standard 144.

baustin

« Reply #258 on: March 02, 2022, 01:06:02 PM »
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why would the wheelbase be different between two trucks of the same brand just because one has a forged baseplate and the other cast? Wouldn't that just make the truck lower?

I believe it’s the location of the mounting holes on the baseplates. The forged are drilled to have a slightly longer wheelbase once mounted than their cast counterparts.

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #259 on: March 06, 2022, 05:16:12 AM »
Film 5.25 (4 holes) are +3".

Just measured on a fresh set-up.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #260 on: March 06, 2022, 09:40:01 AM »
Got +2.95" on Krux K5s 8.5

Yea, i skate Krux

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #261 on: March 19, 2022, 12:47:47 PM »
Venture 5.2 hi and lo wheelbase?
Thunder 147 WB?

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #262 on: March 20, 2022, 12:10:55 PM »
Film 5.25 (4 holes) are +3".

Just measured on a fresh set-up.

same goes for 5.5 and 6.0

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #263 on: June 16, 2022, 02:06:31 AM »
Anyone got a measurement for the indy mids yet?...

Been riding thunders for almost a year know. I was riding thunders and indys off and on but keep coming back to thunders for the lighter pop feeling. Which is weird because indys are closer to each other than thunders. But the height always had me ghost popping or the feeling to really have press my tail down to pop a trick. Couldn't get the timing but loved the turning I get form an indy. So the indy mids came out and I thought to try it. Found a shape(girl/chocolate g052) that I really like and thought to pair them with it. Didnt go so well. I got the reynolds hollow ones and made my board feel heavy AF. Turns out that they are heavier than a standard indy. I really think i'm liking the thunders because they are so light and not the wheelbase. But they give me the lightest, most effortless pop out of every truck I tried. Currently using tensor lights. Think they come with the forged plate and hollow kingpin not axles. Weight is around 311.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #264 on: June 16, 2022, 03:39:47 AM »
Anyone got a measurement for the indy mids yet?...

Been riding thunders for almost a year know. I was riding thunders and indys off and on but keep coming back to thunders for the lighter pop feeling. Which is weird because indys are closer to each other than thunders. But the height always had me ghost popping or the feeling to really have press my tail down to pop a trick. Couldn't get the timing but loved the turning I get form an indy. So the indy mids came out and I thought to try it. Found a shape(girl/chocolate g052) that I really like and thought to pair them with it. Didnt go so well. I got the reynolds hollow ones and made my board feel heavy AF. Turns out that they are heavier than a standard indy. I really think i'm liking the thunders because they are so light and not the wheelbase. But they give me the lightest, most effortless pop out of every truck I tried. Currently using tensor lights. Think they come with the forged plate and hollow kingpin not axles. Weight is around 311.

This is why I eventually went with the Indy Titatniums. I liked the thunders for their weight, but I simply don't enjoy riding around on my board on Thunders... The steering is somehow not what I like. I wanted the ligth pop feel and nice steering, so I got the Indy Titaniums. It's sort of best of both worlds :)

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #265 on: August 27, 2022, 09:32:17 PM »
Does truck tightness change the wheelbase? lol
Yes, but you'd never notice it unless you compress your bottom bushing to its limit. That changes the geometry of the truck, which is why it's smarter to use harder bushings instead.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: October 15, 2022, 05:45:37 AM »
Just set up brand new Venture 5.6 V-Lights and got +3.33" (And exactly 350g btw)

Seems like either venture specs or slap measurements are all over the place

LebowskisRug

« Reply #267 on: October 15, 2022, 07:17:02 AM »
You have to measure both sides and take an average several measurements is best. Your trucks are almost never "flat" so that's why you see so many nearly similar measurements. I assure you that in my experience the general measurements above are accurate:

Indy Standard: 3"
Indy Mid: 3"
Royal Standard: 3.05"
Indy Forged: 3.125"
Thunder Standard: 3.125"
Thunder Forged: 3.25"
Venture Cast: 3.25"
Venture Forged: 3.35"

But it's not straightforward how they all influence pop feel. Venture Cast are 3mm taller than Thunder forged so they'll feel heavier but for me this wasn't bad as Thunder forged pop super quick and I'm too dumb to keep up. You'd think then that Indy standard would pop faster than forged too, but nope- the forged pop lighter especially in Titanium.

I have ridden all Indy and Thunder variants on the same range of decks and somehow I think Thunders pop lighter on 14.5 than Indy standard even tho the geometry would suggest otherwise.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: October 15, 2022, 09:58:33 AM »
You have to measure both sides and take an average several measurements is best. Your trucks are almost never "flat" so that's why you see so many nearly similar measurements. I assure you that in my experience the general measurements above are accurate:

Indy Standard: 3"
Indy Mid: 3"
Royal Standard: 3.05"
Indy Forged: 3.125"
Thunder Standard: 3.125"
Thunder Forged: 3.25"
Venture Cast: 3.25"
Venture Forged: 3.35"

But it's not straightforward how they all influence pop feel. Venture Cast are 3mm taller than Thunder forged so they'll feel heavier but for me this wasn't bad as Thunder forged pop super quick and I'm too dumb to keep up. You'd think then that Indy standard would pop faster than forged too, but nope- the forged pop lighter especially in Titanium.

I have ridden all Indy and Thunder variants on the same range of decks and somehow I think Thunders pop lighter on 14.5 than Indy standard even tho the geometry would suggest otherwise.

Yeah I definitely can't read a difference of 0.02"=0.05mm off a measuring tape, so 3.35 is reasonable for sure.

On cast thunders I'm always getting +3.18 something, the rest is the same for me. I don't have indies though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #269 on: October 27, 2022, 07:42:27 AM »
I measured a pair of forged Indy and they are right at +3". My Thunder Team cast on the same deck are closer to +3.2. So, that actually explains why the forged have a faster pop feel. Both boards have the exact same pop angle. It's all in our heads.

I measured each side 10 times with a ruler that has markings down to 1/64". I averaged those measurements for each side and then overall. Definitely +3
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 11:13:09 AM by LebowskisRug »