Author Topic: Am I the only one to have a knee like this ?  (Read 16123 times)

Thomas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
Am I the only one to have a knee like this ?
« on: January 03, 2017, 06:53:57 AM »

I started skating at 8 and at that time I was jumping down anything I found, like every kids...
At 10 I started having trouble with my left knee (I'm regular), it was a huge pain after every session, I could barely walk back home sometime, but I never stopped skateboarding because I loved it too much.

Since then, I've been dealing with Osgood Schlatter decease.
I talked to 2 surgeons, they told me that I could have a surgery to remove the bump of my knee, but I read a lot of things on internet and for some people it was way worst after the surgery, they couldn't do sport anymore...

I'm 25 now and I can skate mostly without restraint, but yesterday my board hit my knee, the pain was so hard that I almost threw up. I could barely walk to work today, so I was wondering, am I alone to deal with this thing ?
Do you guys have any idea of how to protect my knee from future hits ? (knee straps or something ?)

If anyone has done the surgery, it would be nice to have a feedback to help me go forward...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Am I the only one to have a knee like this ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 07:08:24 AM »
I have it too, and from what I heard it was almost described like a callus. I am 28, started skating at about the same age as you. I actually almost threw up too getting hit in the knee years back, hurt way worse than any other skate related injury. Knee still works though!

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 07:41:02 AM »
I have a permanent hard lump on the left side of my left knee. Hurts like nothing else when I hit it. Recently started wearing kneepads (187 pro) when skating parks & bowls, which is 90% of the time these days. Total lifesaver, highly recommend.

JAesop

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »
Haven't had the surgery but I am in physiotherapy.
If it hasn't resolved and you are in your 20's I am sure you have guessed it's not likely to go away without intervention. The risk is that over time the likelihood of the tendon separating from the bone increases.
The outcome from surgery is very good with most full recoveries within 12 weeks or so...Your knee may hurt when you kneel on it for a long time though.
Personal choice, but I have found that the longer you wait the worse off you will be long term.
I don't know about protecting it but knee pads may help.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 08:30:08 AM »
I have Osgood Schlatter in both knees since middle school. Injured one skating and the other playing basketball. They used to be really bad when I was younger and lived in the midwest (they'd lock up a lot due to the cold air, and I'd have to re stretch them multiple times a session) but when I got older and focused more on health & fitness and moved to AZ, they really became a non-issue for me. I get achy knees after a long day like everyone else but for the most part, I'm good. I worked with a personal trainer for 2 years and focused on strengthening all those small muscle fibers in my legs and did a bit a yoga which helped ALOT. Both of my knees still look like yours (same shape but maybe not as pronounced as yours) but they feel fairly strong & healthy. Idk if my injuries were as severe as yours but a decent diet and good fitness have done wonders for me, along with moving to a much warmer climate

I know what you mean about hitting it tho. Even the slightest tap on the bottom half of my knee would cause excruciating pain. I'd accidentally  bump into a table or some shit and I'd be on the ground like I just got sacked

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »
I don't want to talk about my knees, I don't know why I came into this thread.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:35:00 AM »
I have Osgood Schlatter in both knees since middle school. Injured one skating and the other playing basketball. They used to be really bad when I was younger and lived in the midwest (they'd lock up a lot due to the cold air, and I'd have to re stretch them multiple times a session) but when I got older and focused more on health & fitness and moved to AZ, they really became a non-issue for me. I get achy knees after a long day like everyone else but for the most part, I'm good. I worked with a personal trainer for 2 years and focused on strengthening all those small muscle fibers in my legs and did a bit a yoga which helped ALOT. Both of my knees still look like yours (same shape but maybe not as pronounced as yours) but they feel fairly strong & healthy. Idk if my injuries were as severe as yours but a decent diet and good fitness have done wonders for me, along with moving to a much warmer climate

I know what you mean about hitting it tho. Even the slightest tap on the bottom half of my knee would cause excruciating pain. I'd accidentally  bump into a table or some shit and I'd be on the ground like I just got sacked

Thanks for your words, really appreciated to read this.
I couldn't agree more with you about the cold weather / humidity which are totally killing knees.

I take note for yoga, stretching, and muscle reinforcement and I think I'm going to start finding a good physiotherapist that will give me exercises.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 01:48:26 AM »
Quote from: PuffinMuffin �link=topic=93878.msg2591262#msg2591262 date=1483521469
It's lame but I've found basketball knee pads help some without being too bulky. A couple simple yoga poses help too.

Can you put these under your pant ?
If so, I'm interested...

stophatin

• Rep: -35
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 12:36:24 AM »
Both my knees are exactly like the first picture.  when I was like 12-15 years old, it was extremely painful to bump it (like on a coffee table).....  i'm in my 30's now and they do not hurt anymore.

In Tony Hawk's first book, Occupation: Skateboarder,  he describes that he has the same problem - really bad.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:42:52 AM by stophatin »